Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 BWS - Josh Mulcoy surfboard

Created by Ryland > 9 months ago, 10 Oct 2011
toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
20 Jan 2012 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Is the Drifter the same construction as the Mulcoy?

Ryland said...

kernowkiter said...

On the BWS website, there is no option to buy the board with inserts. So you do get the inserts even if you dont ask for it or do you have to ask for inserts on the board?

the ones with inserts have only just hit the shops and the website is currently being updated with all the new boards- your local retailer should have the ones with inserts and ones without, if u are buying online im sure you can email them and ask how u order 1 or the other until the site gets updated if it doesnt allow this. as for the new boards- also the drifter will be available in the next week or so- this is a 5'9 but with the volume of most 6'2's.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
1 Feb 2012 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Mulcoy with inserts are in store now.
Sorry no demos on these either but we may be able to organise something if you seriously want to try one.
NB though - the Mulcoy is the sort of board that if you are not sure its for you it probably isnt. The lines and weight etc pretty much tell the story.

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
13 Feb 2012 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I was interested in getting one of these boards. However I feel the glass job is not good enough for kiting. one layer of 6oz glass on Eps foam, This will be great going in a strait line. As soon as you do any type of tail slide I feel that you will flatten the fins. Eps foam, Although very light is not very strong.

I'm happy to be wrong but have spoken with a few surfboard makers and they all agree with my above comments.

I also would like to ask in all the promotional films about these boards, How may were broken?

BWS NO warrenty is given if you jump these boards but every promotional film you guy's are jumping the boards. Are they built differently?

I'm intrested to hear from other who have these boards. May have to look at the Drifter instead?

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
13 Feb 2012 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Mine still has a near perfect deck. Plenty of unstrapped airs and nothing more than a little heel dent. I did put my elbow though the nose, splitting the glass though.

One thing I didn't like when repairing it was the 'Stretch' logo is only under the hot coat (not under the glass). This meant when I roughed the area for repair, I rubbed away half the logo. Bit of a bummer for a $900 board. Oh well, they don't need to stay pretty.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
13 Feb 2012 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Remember this is a pro model board and is designed with performance above anything else and is what Josh Surfs and Kites on a daily basis. as far as i know none of the boards have a single layer of glass- i thought they were 2x6oz decks but website says different. either way these are one of the only boards that go good for kiting and that i actually ride as a surfboard.

taken from BWS website:
Description
Product Features
Sizes: 5'10" x 18.3" x 2.25" and 6'0" x 18.75" x 2.25"

Fins: Future 5-fin set: Use it as a quad or a thruster (fins not included)

Construction: Lay-up - 3x 6oz. deck, 2 x 6oz bottom, both glassed with E-class.

Core: 2.75pcf EPS Marko foam blank

Stringer: 4mm poplar ply stringer

Shipping, import duties and taxes all included, no more to pay.

ulx
53 posts
13 Feb 2012 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

I am tempted to get the drifter. But am afraid to brake it. Just started to get into bigger strapless airs and transitions, planing strapless rotations ect. Cant even get a strapless version of the celeritas here. Maybe just stick to the original plan and get a normal 2012 celeritas. And hope that the weight and stiffness wont bother me too much.

clockout
VIC, 69 posts
14 Feb 2012 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

blew the fin box in 45min. I hope there was a manufacturing problem with that particular board.
95Kg rider. On 25knots

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
17 Feb 2012 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

I've had mine for a little while now and it's holding up fine,had a cracking run after work today , great board.

Tony Armstrong
NSW, 341 posts
19 Feb 2012 1:02AM
Thumbs Up

In my opinion the fin box set up is one of the stellar items of the board. It is great. Sure, the board is not say, like a tuflite BUT it's performance beyond your normal level. After many satisfying moments, I don't have an issue with the cost.

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
26 Feb 2012 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

I have the latest copy of kite boarder mag. It does a board review / buyers quide.

Just a little bit of criticism when marketing,

Magazine quotes construction as being 1 x6oz bottom deck 2 x 6ox top. Web site quotes 2 x6oz bottom 3x 6oz top. Which one is correct?

All marketing should be the same so customers don't get confused. I have now two different version on construction on this board.

Can someone enlighten me on what's actually correct?

Cheers

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
27 Feb 2012 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Just a guess, but perhaps the difference is between the board with and without inserts. Apparently they have extra glass on them?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 BWS - Josh Mulcoy surfboard" started by Ryland