Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 Griffin TRX 12m and 14m

Created by Ciscoexpert > 9 months ago, 31 Jan 2012
catalaussie
128 posts
1 Apr 2012 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

I was missing some information in the last 14m review, because I couldn't do a complete test. I only tried to advance some information to all that could be interested, as there is still not so much information of this kite. Sorry if someone could get confused. I'll try to give complete information next time.

In any case I wasn't trying to convince anybody to buy the kite, only give some info.

I'm riding only Griffins since 2005 because I love Griffin philosophy. I like to talk about what I know, so avoid to compare to other brands (specially if could be bad for them).

Last day me and some friends (riding other brands) tested finally the TRX-17. I think there is still really few people that have tested it. Here is my review (trying to be more complete than the 14 review):

In this case is a red/black one. Again I think there are no pictures of TRX red/black, so I'll try to upload some pics later!!!

It was a 3 hours sessions with constant SW wind, 8-9 knots average initially (6-10) and 13 knots at the end (10-15) and relatively flat water to our spot. Race and freestyle riders tested it using a large 2012 standard bar (60cm) with 30m lines.

General comment of all riders was : INCREDIBLE FAST TURNING SPEED AND AMAZING STABILITY.

Turning speed is really incredible for it's size. The TRX was clearly the fastest big kite on the beach (directly comparing to Airush Varial X-Race 2012 17m, Ozone Edge 2012 17m, North Dyno 2011 18m and F-One Bandit IV 14m). Only one freestyle rider told that was a little bit slow …comparing to his Cabrinha Nomad 2012 11m with 25m lines!!!! :):):):):)

I was the first going out in 8-9 knots (65kg) on a race-board. Sure I could get out in less knots, but I'm still not completely adapted to my new 70cm wide 2012 race board (RRD K-Race 70)… Any problem going upwind. The upwind angle is really good, as the kite pulls from the edge. Really stable in all over the window. A heavier rider (85) got out after me in a smalller race board (Airush Sector 60 2012) in the same conditions and was going upwind with any problem.

Freestyle riders got out with their twintips from 10-11 knots, and had any problem doing kiteloops in 11-15 knots (hooked and unhooked). All were really surprised with the TRX perfomance for freestyle in lightwinds. Anyone of them is doing normally freestyle in less than 12-13 knots with their kites and anyone is trying kiteloops with more than 14m kites!!!

Bar pressure is light (specially for such a big kite), but really direct feeling when you pull. This give you a faster turning feeling. You feel exactly were the kite is every moment. You could ride for ours without your arms get tired…

Low end is a little bit higher than the Argo (comparing to the 17m 2011, even I used it normally with 40m lines in this conditions; I haven't tried the 2012 Argo), but I think it turns faster, so it's easy to generate apparent wind. Even if it's necessary, a kiteloop could help if you needed (fast and controlled, even with the 17m). Sure that 10m more (40 m total lines lenght) could allow me to get out in 7 knots (65 Kg and big 2012 race board).

I got out in 8-9 knots average (6-7 knots minimum) and I didn't need to pull depower with 13 knots average (15 knots maximum) --> 65kg, 70cm wide race board and 30m lines). Sure that the top end is much higher than the Argo 17m 2011 (not tried the 2012).

Jumps are boost and floaty (even on the water ... :) ...), hooked and unhooked. Kiteloops are a dream!!!! (not a wet dream in this case) Fast and controlled even in lightwind and using 30m lines. Simply Incredible!!! I'll make a video next time for those that couldn't believe it (if someone can't believe it is because his kite is not able to do it...).

We didn't tried auto-relaunch. The kite didn't touch the water in the 3 hours session… maybe because the riders were experienced riders... :)... I don't like to drop a new kite (not a test kite) if not necessary I'll try it when I need it... Auto-relaunch is really easy on the sand even in 6-8 knots (ideal when you are kiting alone, even is not recommendable...). Kite is really stable on the edge of the window, and response inmediately and always controlled when you pull the rear line.

Upwind angle is really good as it pulls near to the edge of the window, even in this case was not the best if compared to dedicated 2012 race kites (designed basically to get the best upwind angle as possible)(Airush Varial X-Race 2012 17m and Ozone Edge 2012 17m). Not using GPS to compare (must do next time… :) ). I hope that the difference won't be so big :):):)

Conclusion: ABSOLUTELY AMAZING again!!!!!! :):):):)

In any case, it's only a point of view. Better try it if you could (specially if you want to buy one).

If some need more info I'll be really pleased to give him if I can.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
1 Apr 2012 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review mate.

catalaussie
128 posts
2 Apr 2012 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

No problem! Just tell me if you want to know more...

First pics I could get...

My TRX-2012 complete combo:

Some of our local riders with the TRX-17m red/black:

wind report at the end of session:

I'll try to upload more and better pictures later if I could finally get them...

mc
NSW, 357 posts
2 Apr 2012 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the 17 review, the only way to sell turning speed on a large kite is to video , please take one if you can and post it with the wind speed so we can get an understanding , turning speed is the one thing that puts me off kites above 12m, i just dont agree with hype most of the time, big kites turn slow, love to see how this kite turns compared to my b5 12m which has large amount of low end and turns faily quick for a 12.

cheers

catalaussie
128 posts
2 Apr 2012 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

I promise to post a video in few days of TRX-17m or/and 14m kitelooping (If someone don't post one before - maybe Chris have some interesting videos... sure mine wouldn't be so good... )

While waiting for the wind, here are new/better pictures:

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
2 Apr 2012 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Agreed entirely with MC except the part on comparing a 17m with a 12m.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
3 Apr 2012 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Agreed a 17 will not turn like a 12 but according to these reviews it does that's why I'm interested in seeing this dynamic animal of a kite or is it the old turns like a 3 and has the pull of 28 m, sorry I'm just about to laugh at a review once again, physics don't change for any kite designer .

mc
NSW, 357 posts
3 Apr 2012 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Agreed a 17 will not turn like a 12 but according to these reviews it does that's why I'm interested in seeing this dynamic animal of a kite or is it the old turns like a 3 and has the pull of 28 m, sorry I'm just about to laugh at a review once again, physics don't change for any kite designer .

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
3 Apr 2012 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

I must admit I do share some of your skepticism. But videos and demoing will prove otherwise. 17m is a big kite man. But I like to be proved wrong.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
4 Apr 2012 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^check out the vid of the green 12m looping in light wind on page 2 of this thread. It will only get faster in stronger wind.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
3 Apr 2012 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

bennie said...

^^^^check out the vid of the green 12m looping in light wind on page 2 of this thread. It will only get faster in stronger wind.

Pretty sure we want to see the 17m (or 14m) on vid.

Ciscoexpert
NSW, 58 posts
4 Apr 2012 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

Have you tested 14m in sub 15 knots wind? I'm wondering how 14m and 17m overlap.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
3 Apr 2012 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

yes that is a question i have. Radman says at 85kg on a CB wave he is powered up 11-15, which is the range I am looking for. 17m seems a little overkill for me, prefer the 14m to work.

catalaussie
128 posts
4 Apr 2012 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

I hope this week I'll have more wind and more time to try.

More info when i get it... And will try to make a video for you.

malfi66
QLD, 181 posts
4 Apr 2012 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys
Current kite is an airush Vapor X 12m
Had a chance to ride the 14m and 12m in Brisvegas on Sunday.
I'm 92kg
Rode the 14 in 15-17k at first until the wind kicked in. Definately has good pull for its size, as I went directly from my 12 to the 14 and felt a distinct increase in low down power. Turned nice and fast with even pull around the turns. Light bar pressure. Flys a little slow, but then it is a 14m! Absolutely awesome boost and float, really impressive
Rode the 12m when the wind kicked in at 18-21k(?). Turns nice and fast, very smooth power. A bit twitchier than the vapor X, but better power transition. I couldn't dial into the jumps that well. But that should come in another session or so. I'm guessing at this stage without another session on it, but I reckon it'll top my current kite for my style of riding. All in all, it appears to be a great kite for freestyle. Sorry, I don't do unhooked, and I didn't get a chance to ride it in the waves.

Berg K1t3r
QLD, 106 posts
4 Apr 2012 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Im nicely powered on an 11m c4 in 13-14knts, how on earth can u say a 14mtr kite has good low end in 15knts, you shouldn't need low end on a 14mtr in 15knts!!!!!...., then at 18knts+ i use an 8m C4 plenty, im an 82kg rider., i ride a 132 slingy mayhem.
you say it flys a little slow, but turns nice and fast????
im a little confused whether your giving the kite credit or making it sound bad,
i think maybe u were kiting lighter winds but your wind app on your phone is broken , either that or a really sad attempt of a pimp

malfi66 said...

Hi guys
Current kite is an airush Vapor X 12m
Had a chance to ride the 14m and 12m in Brisvegas on Sunday.
I'm 92kg
Rode the 14 in 15-17k at first until the wind kicked in. Definately has good pull for its size, as I went directly from my 12 to the 14 and felt a distinct increase in low down power. Turned nice and fast with even pull around the turns. Light bar pressure. Flys a little slow, but then it is a 14m! Absolutely awesome boost and float, really impressive
Rode the 12m when the wind kicked in at 18-21k(?). Turns nice and fast, very smooth power. A bit twitchier than the vapor X, but better power transition. I couldn't dial into the jumps that well. But that should come in another session or so. I'm guessing at this stage without another session on it, but I reckon it'll top my current kite for my style of riding. All in all, it appears to be a great kite for freestyle. Sorry, I don't do unhooked, and I didn't get a chance to ride it in the waves.

Berg K1t3r
QLD, 106 posts
4 Apr 2012 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

In saying that our local griffin dealer is waiting for his trx's so hopefully will get to try for myself and see what all this hype is about!!!

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
4 Apr 2012 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I was confused as well. Hey berg I ride a cb wave and weigh 84kg, would a 12m c4 get me up and running from 11 to 14?? Prob not hey. I'm looking for a marginal wind kite, not a low wind kite, but down here in Mandurah we get too many days that just fall below the 15 mark, if you know what I mean. While in Perth it 16 to 20, down here take 4 or 5 off, happens all the time, giving me the ****s..

Also waiting to try a trx to see if the reality matches the rhetoric , I hope so.

malfi66
QLD, 181 posts
4 Apr 2012 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Berg

Yes, it does seem as though you are confused. Rotational speed ie degrees per second is different to linear speed, ie m/s, or you could also include acceleration m/s2 in my evaluation. Very different to turning speed. there is no confusion between the two.

14k is about the lowest wind speed I can get going reasonably on a 14m kite with an average sized twin tip. If you believe at 92kg you are absolutely powering with a 14m at that wind speed you are mistaken.. 18k yes, it's really powered up and doing huge boosts.

radman4
678 posts
4 Apr 2012 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Well i'm 95 kg and my biggest kite is the 14 TRX and regularly ride in 10-15 with my Wave and 25m lines ,in that wind i have no probs with freestyle,i suppose it comes down to spending more time on the kite and learning to use the power output, with regard to speed the TRX is a fast turning pivot kite but its not a race kite its a freestyle and wave kite.

radman4
678 posts
4 Apr 2012 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Yeh I was confused as well. Hey berg I ride a cb wave and weigh 84kg, would a 12m c4 get me up and running from 11 to 14?? Prob not hey. I'm looking for a marginal wind kite, not a low wind kite, but down here in Mandurah we get too many days that just fall below the 15 mark, if you know what I mean. While in Perth it 16 to 20, down here take 4 or 5 off, happens all the time, giving me the ****s..

Also waiting to try a trx to see if the reality matches the rhetoric , I hope so.

Hey Epp no way in crap mate on the C4 unless you like doing downwinders.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
4 Apr 2012 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh thought so. Bring on the trx.

Tommy123
QLD, 138 posts
5 Apr 2012 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

Ive read a few people wonderin bout turning speed. Can a 14 turn like a 10? No of course not. He was pulling on a different bar when he wrote that review. I got a 12m trx demo i think it was v2 late last yr it was a nice kite obviously not perfect as still in development. Nice smooth consistant power but to b honest it turned like any other 12m thats right a 12m that turns like a 12m. Could this b a worlds first? And the pull it was actually suprisingly powerful for a 12 but no it did not pull like a 17 and turn like a 6. Sorry to say peoples its a 12 it turns like a 12 and pulls like a 12 because it is a 12. It was a nice kites id have to think griffins best kite to date(i rode griffin and argo for 2yrs) and would definetly like to try the finished product and maybe buy a 12 and 17.

radman4
678 posts
5 Apr 2012 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

^^^Yep agreed the 8 flies like an 8 and the 10 flies like a 10 same for the 12 and 14 ,but the main diff with the TRX over other C hybrid kites i've used is the low end and the float it has while still maintaining the fast pivot turning and ability to dump power in gusty conditions.

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
5 Apr 2012 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

I have put in my order for a 10m & 14m combo... being 95kg on TT, surfboard & nobile skim.

My question is whether I should change the order and have a 17m, 12m and 9/8m combination.... or is this extra investment wasting my hard earned dollars?

Will be back after Easter to check on responses...

Thanks in anticipation,
Nathan

PS - I tried the 14m v3 and am trusting Chris' feedback that the v6 is a superior product.

Berg K1t3r
QLD, 106 posts
5 Apr 2012 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

i suppose i really depends on the riders skill lvl at the end of the day i dont own a 14 for the simple reason that if you need to use a kite that big to get going its prob not worth it, i hate big slow kites....so if the trx 14 is fast i might have to own a 14 for a first. what would u say would be the lowest wind i could use a 14 with a 132 TT, 82kg rider??

ps: your math yargen means absolutely nothing to me, i use practical knowledge, not theory!

@ Eppo, not entirely sure mate would be worth a crack, but u really gotta know how to get the most out them, u can be dialled in to a kite....but u gotta go further and find out what makes it really work, C4 wont just give it you on a plate, like a bandit, rebel.... but once u get it clued up will dominate majority of grunt machines.
i have not ridden a C4 bigger than an 11m2. as i said i can get out loaded up enough for tricks hooked an unhooked in 13 knts on a small twin tip

malfi66 said...

Hi Berg

Yes, it does seem as though you are confused. Rotational speed ie degrees per second is different to linear speed, ie m/s, or you could also include acceleration m/s2 in my evaluation. Very different to turning speed. there is no confusion between the two.

14k is about the lowest wind speed I can get going reasonably on a 14m kite with an average sized twin tip. If you believe at 92kg you are absolutely powering with a 14m at that wind speed you are mistaken.. 18k yes, it's really powered up and doing huge boosts.

Berg K1t3r
QLD, 106 posts
5 Apr 2012 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

as i said im keen to try this kite for myself i think our dealer is getting a 12 and a 14 also, i would have a pretty good quiver if i end up getting one....8 - 11 - 14.
Q. does the kite/bar have optional setting to change bar pressure etc???... i like light bar pressure, but not so light that i cant feel where the kite is.

haluchine
29 posts
12 Apr 2012 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Is it comparable to RRD Religion?

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
16 Apr 2012 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

I posted the below in other TRX topics, I am reposting it below again as its relevant to this topic.

The 17m is a very special unique kite and the feedback about lightness, turning speed and light wind ability is hard to believe but true. Have a look at the pivotal turning on the 17m ( Its a true 17m sqm sized kite not a 12m or 16 with 17m printed on it. )

17m Kite looping in 6-7 knots,

Yes they turn fast for the size.
Its a true 17m, not a 14m with 17m printed on it.
Its a lot of fun for 87kg on a lot of rocker 5ft3 surf board from 8+ knots.
The video is shot in 6-7 knots
I designed it to be a fun fast light agile, light wind wave kite, something that you feel powered up in 8+ knots, something that does not feel like a truck.
The fun range is from 8+ knots, its doable on a large board or race board in less knots.
Yes it does turn faster than some 12m 2012 well advertised kites.
No I wont mention what other brands kites it turns faster than.
No it does not turn faster than a 4m kite
No it will not give you poo stance.
Yes the kite goes upwind great and does not pull you downwind.
Yes its a good light wind surf kite, you can pivot turn the kite at 180 degrees very fast on a wave as the vid shows.
Yes the kite turns faster in 8 knots than the 6-7 knot video below.
Yes it has excellent drift.
Yes the kite has a lot of depower, you can turn off the kite on a wave.
Yes I added the Argo auto assisted relaunch for easy relaunch in light winds.

I feel the TRX is the fastest most agile easiest to relaunch light wind wave and free ride kite available.

Yes this sounds hard to believe

Below video shot in about 6-7 knots, medium 53 cm bar
Kite was on the medium turning setting, not fast. Lines were 25m
Kite is designed for 25m for surf, add line extensions for more light wind ability or racing. (Yes it turns faster with a larger bar )

Sorry for the sucky video, the 17m has only been in Australia for a few weeks and I have been busy flying it, not filming it. Video was shot just to show the turning speed. I will get a wind meter and get better video to more accurately show off the capabilities of this kite.

There is only 1 x 17m TRX in Australia and a few others around the planet,
They are in production now and a few weeks away.

I have put a hell of a lot of time building this kite, most brands go for high aspect large kites, High aspect 17m Kites suck for turning and relaunch and drift. I designed something else, 3 strut 17m not high aspect designed to turn and drift and feel light and fast and go upwind and relaunch easily in light winds.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
16 Apr 2012 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

chris if there ever was a topic that generated gosspic its this one, i asked for the vid and thanks for supplying it, i think you may have finally found the answer to the crap low wind mush surf days we have here in sydney , congrats. i remember playing with the first demo of this kite in a 12m size 6 months ago at longy when there was 12 knots thinking this thing was like a rocket. looks like you have perfected it, well done.

now all we need is summer and a new season,

cheers for now , cant wait to demo one very soon , please let us know when a sydney demo day will take place or i'll just see you at longy when its a south 8 knot day.
mitch

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Griffin TRX 12m and 14m" started by Ciscoexpert