Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Outwest34au
16 posts
1 Dec 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Savannah said..
Replaced the manual Head Pump assembly. Now the missus can sail in comfort lol.

Well done, and, you forgot to say you replaced with an electric one. That would win you browny points, so to speak.

What have I done today?

Dropped in temporary markers for the fore aft mooring.
Now the wait for high tide and jiggle them closer to the final positions before the heavy junk gets dumped in some time later this week.

Outwest34au
16 posts
1 Dec 2014 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

DrRog said..
I wish you were fitting out my boat, HG. Are you fitting a dim red light to preserve night vision?

Dr Rog ,
I would quiet enjoy that when I retire quiet happy to raft up and pass a few hours on your boat and dont worry Ill be up that way
heres a quick wiring job to see how they will look Ill wire them up properly tomorrow could only get three running s I didn't have any wire down at the boat

Ill drop down there later on tonight and see what it looks like in the dark and ill make a quick harness for the other light to work
I am thinking the back two leds are where the stove and on the other side the sink and fridge so I might put those two on the same switch but the settee leds one switch of each
And I vacuumed all my mess up. Ill give it a bit more of a scrub tomorrow

Mate, they look great. Very neat tidy and modern. Minimalistic and effective. (and cheap enough to do).
I could copy that idea and die a satisfied man.
Well done.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Dec 2014 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Out west its was easy to do, epoxy some ply to the cabin roof and screw in the cedar . Im just going to oil it but not sure what oil to use Ill start on the cabin side this week . And I should have enough for the forward cabin also
I( bought a few of those led strips months ago thought Id use them up probably get a couple of teak based lights from whit worths as well and wire them in as well .

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
1 Dec 2014 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Out west its was easy to do, epoxy some ply to the cabin roof and screw in the cedar . Im just going to oil it but not sure what oil to use Ill start on the cabin side this week . And I should have enough for the forward cabin also
I( bought a few of those led strips months ago thought Id use them up probably get a couple of teak based lights from whit worths as well and wire them in as well .

Tung Oil should achieve the result you are looking for, just don't use it in an exterior invironment, it is a natural oil and does not weather well at all.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Dec 2014 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

HG02 said..

Tung Oil should achieve the result you are looking for, just don't use it in an exterior invironment, it is a natural oil and does not weather well at all.

I have some tung oil here Ill test it out see how it comes up
cheers

Ramona
NSW, 7572 posts
2 Dec 2014 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Outdoor furniture oil works well. My fishing vessel main cabin was all done in this product and when I added an interior to my quarter tonner I used the same. Top up every year or so. Just wipes clean. Don't have to sand down to recoat.

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
3 Dec 2014 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Put the number two head sail up while in the pen a few days ago to have a look. From my limited knowledge I should shorten the connection at the bottom but it looks like a nicely cut sail.

brizzydave
406 posts
3 Dec 2014 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Looks nice. Mines flat at the front, roundy and flappy at the back....wife that is......and my headsle is crap too. :-)

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Dec 2014 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
Looks nice. Mines flat at the front, roundy and flappy at the back....wife that is......and my headsle is crap too. :-)

Im gona ring her right now Brizzy there will be no beer for a week Id say :-) you better buy some flowers

sydchris
NSW, 387 posts
4 Dec 2014 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Guitz said..
Put the number two head sail up while in the pen a few days ago to have a look. From my limited knowledge I should shorten the connection at the bottom but it looks like a nicely cut sail.

Looks good! As an initial rough setup guide, the headsail sheet line if carried on through should about bisect the luff of the sail, so you might get better performance and shape from moving that car aft a bit.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
4 Dec 2014 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I know next to nothing but perhaps those in the know can say - shouldn't the tack of the sail be lowered closer to the deck also?

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
4 Dec 2014 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input. So the sheet should continue in the same line as the stiched seam bisecting the sail?
And DrRog, i agree, i will be lowering the sail so it just clears the pushput railing. I'm picking up the main in a few days. There is still a fair bit of work to do cleaning up surface rust on the mast fittings etc but after a going over with the wire brush they seem ok so far. If all works out well i will consider replacing with bronze but i may be just dreaming depending on what other priorities are presented. I'm sure some of my novice meanderings are entertaining to well seasoned sailore here but it's great to be able to throw things about here and that way I just might avoid making some obvious or costly mistakes.

Ramona
NSW, 7572 posts
4 Dec 2014 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Guitz said..
Thanks for the input. So the sheet should continue in the same line as the stiched seam bisecting the sail?
And DrRog, i agree, i will be lowering the sail so it just clears the pushput railing. I'm picking up the main in a few days. There is still a fair bit of work to do cleaning up surface rust on the mast fittings etc but after a going over with the wire brush they seem ok so far. If all works out well i will consider replacing with bronze but i may be just dreaming depending on what other priorities are presented. I'm sure some of my novice meanderings are entertaining to well seasoned sailore here but it's great to be able to throw things about here and that way I just might avoid making some obvious or costly mistakes.

No.

Fit some wind tuffs to the luff, minimum of 3 sets. When sailing adjust the sheet blocks along the slide till the windward tuffs all luff at the same time or have some twist and have the top tuffs break first. I think from my arm chair you need to take the blocks back a little. Search youtube, there is bound to be plenty of helpful videos.

Savannah
QLD, 45 posts
8 Dec 2014 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Purchased a new Polycraft tender. So much more room & stability than the inflatable

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Dec 2014 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Savannah said..

Purchased a new Polycraft tender. So much more room & stability than the inflatable

Design looks good very stable but for me a little heavy

Savannah
QLD, 45 posts
9 Dec 2014 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Savannah said..

Design looks good very stable but for me a little heavy

Weighs 63kg HG, add 9kg for the outboard so easily carried by 2 people. Next project will be Davits to store it.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Dec 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

My boats only 28 to 30 foot long I think it might be a little large to hang off my boat thats all . But I do like the design looks nice and stable would love to make one out of carbon fiber

bubble7777
QLD, 191 posts
9 Dec 2014 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..
My boats only 28 to 30 foot long I think it might be a little large to hang off my boat thats all . But I do like the design looks nice and stable would love to make one out of carbon fiber

my tender and awesome. Fits on the deck but constant source of laughter and pointing from the peanut gallery from the fishermen on the jetty when head out with two 6.2ft men in it . Then I pull up in the h28 and they shut up. I shake my head . Raise the sails and give the middle finger. People should learn not to cast judgment so soon

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Dec 2014 2:07AM
Thumbs Up

bubble7777 said..

HG02 said..

my tender and awesome. Fits on the deck but constant source of laughter and pointing from the peanut gallery from the fishermen on the jetty when head out with two 6.2ft men in it . Then I pull up in the h28 and they shut up. I shake my head . Raise the sails and give the middle finger. People should learn not to cast judgment so soon

Thats a nice unit Bubble

cisco
QLD, 12327 posts
10 Dec 2014 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

bubble7777 said..

HG02 said..

Nothing wrong with those little jiggers.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Dec 2014 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

There not down here Mexicanville can find them
You should be able to also fit a couple of South aces Swedish back packers in the as well South Ace wont want them any more.
Although he still might have a inflatable or two stashed maybe this is a Swedish back packer
And I bet South Ace made them pump up the inflatable

E bay not worth looking at with all the garbage it comes up with take you all night to find anything interesting its become a time waster thats my opinion any way
I often wonder about these

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
11 Dec 2014 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Food has been the focus of late so I have bought a metho 2 burner off eBay and today got a nice stainless steel pressure cooker for the boat. Previously I had one of those gas canister camping one burner things but after a mini explosion I chucked it out.

[URL=.html] [/URL]

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Dec 2014 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

There a bit dangerous aren't they canister burners
Nice pressure cooker Guitz
If ever get my masts back on we will have to have a cook off . I'm about half way with fitting my stove. You will make some nice meals in that

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
11 Dec 2014 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

A cook off sounds the go! I have been told here at Cameron's Bight some of the yachties have a bit of a cook off, taking it in turns to provide dinner on their boat. I'm working on my seafood Thai green curry throw together job. Mussels, Scallops, Calamari, all from the local area and whatever fish i catch on the day.
........ok I had baked beans for lunch!

My time in the marina birth has come to an end and i'm now on a mooring and so, bought a little tender from Hoppers Crossing, a Stich and Tape boat designed by NZ er Jim Young. It rows nicely but is just a bit heavy.
Where is your boat HG02? .........Patterson Lakes Marina guessing by the pics?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Dec 2014 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Guitz said..
A cook off sounds the go! I have been told here at Cameron's Bight some of the yachties have a bit of a cook off, taking it in turns to provide dinner on their boat. I'm working on my seafood Thai green curry throw together job. Mussels, Scallops, Calamari, all from the local area and whatever fish i catch on the day.
........ok I had baked beans for lunch!

My time in the marina birth has come to an end and i'm now on a mooring and so, bought a little tender from Hoppers Crossing, a Stich and Tape boat designed by NZ er Jim Young. It rows nicely but is just a bit heavy.
Where is your boat HG02? .........Patterson Lakes Marina guessing by the pics?

Yes Guitz it was down your way. Where it is means I can work on it every night after work.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Dec 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Started lining the cabin sides

Breakfast and back into it happy so far

Colombo7E
QLD, 29 posts
13 Dec 2014 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

G’day
I had my yacht in hard stand at Fisherman Wharf slipway this week. Lifted up on Monday and back on water Yesterday (Friday) Clean and painted bottom was hard work.
I was very lucky it rained on night time not when I was painting. I painted one coat of primer and two coats of Altex Antifouling paint.
I also hired Cherry Picker to get up to mast I put some new ropes and painted the mast.

When boat was out of water I got survey done as well, Colombo7 passed inspection flying colours.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Dec 2014 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nice to see you posting Columbo Glad she surveyed well. and a merry Christmas to you to
Poor dogs worn out she worked to hard

Colombo7E
QLD, 29 posts
13 Dec 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Nice to see you posting Columbo Glad she surveyed well. and a merry Christmas to you to
Poor dogs worn out she worked to hard

My Mindy Dog was just supervising I'm very happy for slipway and survey I'm good for next 2 Years. I'm really enjoying living here Hervey Bay Happy NEW YEAR for all off You

brizzydave
406 posts
13 Dec 2014 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good HG. I love the woody interior look. Nice n nautical

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin