Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
bubble7777
QLD, 191 posts
13 Dec 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Colombo7E said..
G’day
I had my yacht in hard stand at Fisherman Wharf slipway this week. Lifted up on Monday and back on water Yesterday (Friday) Clean and painted bottom was hard work.
I was very lucky it rained on night time not when I was painting. I painted one coat of primer and two coats of Altex Antifouling paint.
I also hired Cherry Picker to get up to mast I put some new ropes and painted the mast.

When boat was out of water I got survey done as well, Colombo7 passed inspection flying colours.

Looks like a h28?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Dec 2014 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Where taking over sea breeze Bubble mutiny H28's
Well I finished the port side starboard tomorrow little bit of trim to do but its 99% there

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Dec 2014 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

nswsailor said..
Technically today I have completed the refit of Seaka with having put back onboard all of her gear.

Only taken me 11 months!

So what did I do:

Removed all the old paint inside back to the glass and repainted in two pack paint. [Really this took up most of the time]
Re-varnished all varnished surfaces.
Raised the sea berth 10 cm to give extra storage.
Re-cut cushions to fit alterations to sea berth.
Rebuilt the cabin table [with a chart drawer under].
Put in several extra floors to deep lockers.
Re installed all the fly screens.
Repaired the clear rain screen to the cabin entrance.
Fitted an AIS receiver.
Relocated the am & VHF radios.
Re fixed all wiring.
Fitted navigation lights to the bow and mast [combined with a deck light] for steaming.
Re arranged the switch panel for additions.
Laid a pointed floor to the cabin and engine cover.
Insulated the engine bay.
Removed all the mast winches and wire halyards.
Installed a new winch and 5 clutches so as to work from the cockpit.
Installed all new running rope to halyards and reefing.
Fitted jib down haul leads.
Fitted a simple anti-jibe system.
Replaced all standing wire rigging.
Made a new mast head fitting to accommodate the new rope halyards.
Installed a boom bag.
New bag for the cockpit Bimini.
Installed a new 100 w solar panel and SS frame.
Replaced the heap rope to my second anchor with 14 mm Braid.
Replaced the main forward bollard timber cross piece.
Installed 2 rope bags in cockpit.
Previously [01/13] I had replaced the stern cutlass bearings and realigned the engine.

Anything left to do?

Clean and polish the deck and sides.
Replace the deck safety wires.
Anti foul.
Replace the anode.

NSW shes looking very nice the floor has come up a treat. The paint color goes well with the timber work inside the cabin . Well done

NSW I need your advise please .
I bought some Tassy oak(Vic ash) a while ago for the floor and was wondering what you used to fix it to the floor please in Seaka

nswsailor
NSW, 1431 posts
14 Dec 2014 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

HGO2

I used selected [by me, and I mean some of it was crap but I got them to get another pack in] 32 mm x 3 mm Tassie Oak [TO] from Bunnings.

I used small cut-offs of the TO as spacers.

I actually sealed all the TO with two coats of clear marine varnish before laying it.

I stuck it down with Silkaflex 291 but Silkaflex recommends 292. Just couldn't get it out here.

Now the real secret to doing this is to get the correct Silkaflex to do the pointing. ie 290 DC. Nothing else will do!

Once you have the timber stuck down you have to cover all of it in tape before pointing. Use a blade to get clean ends.

MOST important!!!! Once you have completed a small area of pointing you MUST remove the tape, do not let the pointing go OFF before you do this.
Any bits can be sanded later but if it goes off you have one hell of a mess!

Since putting the floor down I was amazed at how non slip it is. Looks beautiful and works just fine!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Dec 2014 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
HGO2

I used selected [by me, and I mean some of it was crap but I got them to get another pack in] 32 mm x 3 mm Tassie Oak [TO] from Bunnings.

I used small cut-offs of the TO as spacers.

I actually sealed all the TO with two coats of clear marine varnish before laying it.

I stuck it down with Silkaflex 291 but Silkaflex recommends 292. Just couldn't get it out here.

Now the real secret to doing this is to get the correct Silkaflex to do the pointing. ie 290 DC. Nothing else will do!

Once you have the timber stuck down you have to cover all of it in tape before pointing. Use a blade to get clean ends.

MOST important!!!! Once you have completed a small area of pointing you MUST remove the tape, do not let the pointing go OFF before you do this.
Any bits can be sanded later but if it goes off you have one hell of a mess!

Since putting the floor down I was amazed at how non slip it is. Looks beautiful and works just fine!

yes it look awesome NSW
I bought a heap off e bay 6 months ago and forgot I bought it left it at a mates garage . Luckily he reminded me . Ill have to go through it but theres plenty of it so should be able to find enough.
Many thanks for that gives me a good outcome thanks NSW
Just wish Id finished the boat and retired Id come around Aust with you next year
how ever with the port lights in and now by tonight the cabin sides Im a little bit more positive and feel like powering into.
I have three weeks off at Christmas and have lots of half finish jobs so Ill clean them all up fit the head compartment out and get the stove in place. Months of no windows takes it out of you weekend after weekend though it would never end.

Cheers and who ever ready this have a great Christmas and the best new yew you have ever had .
You only live once so make it a good life
"GO Sailing "

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Dec 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

well had a reason run this afternoon got a bit more down fitted the grab handels and the wires ready for the teak base light when it arrives this week from Whitworths

Also removed the cuboard front from both sides as Im fitting Corian bench tops right through to the side of the hull and making a few goodies to go in there

Donk wont like this one
Also removed my stereo and UHF Im fitting them similar to what South Ace did in his old boat . Where they were you could not see what staion you were on or change any of the settings . Ill line the back of the cabinet with cedar also probably vanish it or some thing

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Dec 2014 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

A little bit of Tassy veneer for my entertainment panel . Have not done any veneering so Ill give it a go

southace
SA, 4762 posts
16 Dec 2014 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

HG02 you are seriously slightly insane!

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
16 Dec 2014 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

"SLIGHTLY"

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Dec 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

The veneer was in some one hard rubbish free what more could one want. There was no way Id leave it for the rubbish tip South Ace

Is was part of a collection a German guy bought when he was out in OZ . He went to Tassy and bought lots . It was then put in some ones Garage for the last 8 year and it never left the country for Germany. Have no idea why but I can get more if I want it
is it insane if some one gives you some thing like that not for me any way

Its a very nice veneer of Huon pine about 3 meters long
Or do you mean my impression of your entertainment set up wont be as good as yours but it will do

There is actual enough Huon pin veneer to cover my bulk head . There two rolls with multi layers of many Beautiful Tassy
veneers
It was gong to the rubbish tip I kid you not

On another note my cabin lights showed up today
Thats roughly where there going on each side

its just sitting in my sink nice looking lamp . I think any way
Just so you can see where in the boat where the white insulated wire is between the two grab handels

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
16 Dec 2014 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

HG, when you're done please come up to Sydney and help me fit out my cabin. Thanks mate.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Dec 2014 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
HG, when you're done please come up to Sydney and help me fit out my cabin. Thanks mate.

Would be a pleasure DR Rog I have to drop into donks first on the way hes already book in

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Dec 2014 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Started on my forward cabin sides

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Dec 2014 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Have not got a lot done today but Ill go back down and do a little more . Ill remove all the cedar and paint the hull in there plus add my floor panels and anchor chain bulk head cover

southace
SA, 4762 posts
20 Dec 2014 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Signed the contract and paid a deposit!

nswsailor
NSW, 1431 posts
20 Dec 2014 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Southace, what lovely Xmas present.

I'll expect to inspect her when I come past next year.

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
20 Dec 2014 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Happy for you Ace, Merry Christmas

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Dec 2014 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Good Stuff South Ace

Did a bit more on the forward cabin Ill remove and clean up in there and paint out the hull side before I finish off in there and just before I left the boat fitted up one cabin light.

Unfortunately for me Witworths sent the wrong LED globe for the unit If I cant use them on the old white( rear navigation lamp) ill return them
I want to renovate this lamp below . Thiking about the globe would not be suitable Id say as a nav globe

Well I hope to Ill see how I go with the lens

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Congratulations Southace - how about some pics or a link
Allan

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Datawiz said..

southace said..

Congratulations Southace - how about some pics or a link
Allan

Woops - found the pic in the 'One for Southace' thread

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
21 Dec 2014 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Southace

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
21 Dec 2014 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Southace.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Dec 2014 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

did a little more today

Trimed the cockpit bulkhead with cedar both sides

MorningBird
NSW, 2655 posts
22 Dec 2014 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

The boom went back on today and I sorted out the rope tangles of reefing lines, vang, out haul and miles of lazy jacks.
Lost the out haul wire after it was back together but have a plan to sort it with a slender sail batten.
Dodger is almost ready to go on.
Almost back to being a sailboat.
What a magnificent yacht, really looking forward to her being complete again.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Dec 2014 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

MorningBird said..
The boom went back on today and I sorted out the rope tangles of reefing lines, vang, out haul and miles of lazy jacks.
Lost the out haul wire after it was back together but have a plan to sort it with a slender sail batten.
Dodger is almost ready to go on.
Almost back to being a sailboat.
What a magnificent yacht, really looking forward to her being complete again.

You have done a really excellent job on that yacht of your's Morning bird. It seems to take forever for me
Ive been looking at fridges and found this one hidden under specialized equipment and it will fit down my hatch way
and I can also add extra insulation for it plus it can have a remote fitted compressor which I like and fits into my cabinet nicely
http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/2products_details.asp?pid=22&productid=21565

www.sailboatstuff.com/ref_drop-in_fridge_freezers.html#Drop_In
The above is a USA site

southace
SA, 4762 posts
23 Dec 2014 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Getting a pre purchase survey on my possibly new yacht!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Dec 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Good to have her ready to sail again morning bird

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Dec 2014 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

[/
The inside of the cabin is painted
Just need to finnish painting the outside before the new windows go on

Jolene
WA, 1565 posts
23 Dec 2014 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Andy,
what sort of paint are you using on the inside?
I need to paint the inside of my boat, I have removed the glued on carpet and are yet to remove the glue, most of the inside of the hull has no flowcoat, its just bare fiberglass.
Any recommendations?

southace
SA, 4762 posts
23 Dec 2014 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Update!
Well the survey has deliverd what I expected. Varnish work is poor quality due to the new current owner but the timber work and hull soundness is in good keeping.
What gets me is the water intake is still blocked after a day on the hard and a few hours now in the water! If I wasnt 6000 km away I'm sure I would have sourced this problem by now. Apparently the old impeller was intact and the problem has been in exisitance not only from just yesterday's start up...that's the news I hear from the coffee cafe anyway.
as I have only inspected the oil and the overall exterior condition of the Perkins I will not transfer the full amount until I hear the start up and inspect the exuast and water cooling of this vessel.
Safe Christmas all and I will keep you posted!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin