Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4762 posts
1 Jan 2015 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to keep posting pics of my new purchase but I wonder if anyone might know what the phone is that's on the bulkhead wall it's got me stumped!

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
1 Jan 2015 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty sure that's a batphone!

southace
SA, 4762 posts
1 Jan 2015 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

Was waiting for the smart comments! Seriously I don't understand what it's for!

brizzydave
406 posts
1 Jan 2015 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Tahiti looks nice dear?.....(picks up phone) ....."Simon, Tahiti please". Roger! Thahiti!

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
1 Jan 2015 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Sorry to keep posting pics of my new purchase but I wonder if anyone might know what the phone is that's on the bulkhead wall it's got me stumped!

Hi Southace

Could the boat at sometime have been moored outside the owners house and the phone was a cordless extension to their home phone

Where we are in Tassie some of the yachts in the bay would be within cordless range of the owners homes

Regards Don

southace
SA, 4762 posts
1 Jan 2015 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Could be but I doubt it. It's most properly intcom to the cockpit that's a joke. I will move it and it could be a space I will hang my babies on!

southace
SA, 4762 posts
1 Jan 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

p.s I have not had a home phone for over 10 years now! talk about disconected.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
1 Jan 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
Tahiti looks nice dear?.....(picks up phone) ....."Simon, Tahiti please". Roger! Thahiti!

ha ha ha.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
1 Jan 2015 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

even one coat of undercoat makes it look so much better

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

What did I do to my Boat
Primed my hatch cover and waited and waited for my epoxy to dry on the Instrument pod once the Hatch cover has hardened up Ill sand the primer down and see if its ready for a second coat. its really thick primer

Ive epoxied the back on the Instrument pod and waiting for it to dry tomorrow Ill attend to the ends

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 2:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
even one coat of undercoat makes it look so much better

Love it Andy she is looking sweet,I know just how you feel

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 2:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

southace said..

Hi Southace

Could the boat at sometime have been moored outside the owners house and the phone was a cordless extension to their home phone

Where we are in Tassie some of the yachts in the bay would be within cordless range of the owners homes

Regards Don

I think your boat comes with room service but no Tern

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 3:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

It might be but it could be ring some one that cares . But to me its room service Id call it the Daily Planet

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
2 Jan 2015 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
Instrument cover so far

Once I get the top epoxied in place today and trim the sides. Ill take it down to the boat along with the hatch cover and see if its trash or treasure
Some one kindly gave me some fiber glass from a recycle bin at a boat building yard

Are you buying new instruments HG
I keep looking for the best/ cheapest option

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

cheapo speakers first Yes Ill eventually buy new instruments

I think this will be it

I am thinking of removing the ends Ive epoxied on there and utilizing some curved pieces I have here I think it will look a little better and keep it out of trash and move permanently into treasure.
Ill place a start stop button in there maybe my engine gages Ill make a weather and theft proof cover so it preserves the gages . Well do my best but I guess if some one uses a crow bar Ill loose whats inside but Ill know about it as soon as there on board

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Could be but I doubt it. It's most properly intcom to the cockpit that's a joke. I will move it and it could be a space I will hang my babies on!

Hi Southace

How do you intend to mount the guitars in the space where the phone is as there does not seem to be a lot of room there

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

At one stage you were looking at a multi information screen

Is this still in the plans

Also have you decided if the mizzen is staying

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

HI Donk
Yes eventually I will use a multi screen .
Well I took the hatch cover and trhe Pod I made down to the boat and Im not sure it it will fit in as far as visually speaking goes I can reduce its height by maybe 25 mm and perhap radius the front panel it would reduce its capacity

Rememberingit will have either a spray dodger or a home made windscreen
if id put some under coat on it ity might not stand out like dog testicles
So at the moment its either trash or treasure Ill think on it for while see what happens . Ill back to sanding and painting the hatch cover so Ill chew the fat for a while on the pod and its shape
rear view I don't mind its the front(meaning look from the bow back) that has me wondering still .
Might try changing the radius on the back of the pod and see how it looks.. You would not see it with a spray dodger I guess

southace
SA, 4762 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

You mean something like this Ho2?

southace
SA, 4762 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

southace said..
Could be but I doubt it. It's most properly intcom to the cockpit that's a joke. I will move it and it could be a space I will hang my babies

Hi Southace

How do you intend to mount the guitars in the space where the phone is as there does not seem to be a lot of room there

Regards Don

Don I may put hangers above the lockers and the base of the guitars will sit on seat below.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
You mean something like this Ho2?

Yes South Ace Thats what I had in mind what you have sent me as far as information on your build will assits me thank you thank you S.A.
Donk
V.D.O sender units appear to have a problem when fitted to Buhk DV 20's .I was told that on a UK site and a mate has gone through a few in a few weeks . They now seen to move the sender units to a block drain and fit it in there You need to fit copper washers to space the sender on if it fitted to the thermostat housing but still after that it they have been breaking down and no signal so Ive put that on hold for now . But do like the simplicity of a deck and they appear to be able to utilize a I pad there and Wi Fi from your main screen

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
2 Jan 2015 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

You are getting away from the traditional look of the H 28 there mate.

The new port lights look great and are a real improvement over the originals.

To me that instrument panel is like looking at a really beautiful woman who spoils the whole effect by having a tattoo.

With the trouble you are taking with Seaka is it not worth keeping the whole traditional theme???

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhhh.. Seaka is my yacht , Cisco, not HG02s'

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

You are getting away from the traditional look of the H 28 there mate.

The new port lights look great and are a real improvement over the originals.

To me that instrument panel is like looking at a really beautiful woman who spoils the whole effect by having a tattoo.

With the trouble you are taking with Seaka is it not worth keeping the whole traditional theme???

Ill rethink it Cisco . Im glad I took it down there along with the hatch cover.
Ive nearly finished paint the deck Ive the cockpit floor and the patch for the throttle is not faired yet and also need to fair off the anchor well hatch area the rest is painted. NO photos tonight maybe tomorrow just finish out side . Had some two pack mixed and left over so I bought it home and quickly painted the inside of the hatch cover to use it up tomorrows sanding back the hatch cover after priming it yesterday. Ill try to finish it and sand it back ready to cut and polish.
Ill move the solar panel back on the cabin roof for shade during summer in the next couple of days

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

Sorry about that.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Jan 2015 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

nswsailor said..

Sorry about that.

Seaka would be great nothing much left to do on her

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

@ HGO2............Yachts have an inherent acoustic quality which obviates any need for on deck speakers unless you want to ping your neighbours off.

I had a pair of el cheapo box speakers screwed to a timber batten that I could tie up to the boom or wherever for party nights. Noise carries over water at night so in a popular anchorage you will be sure to get complaints no matter what brand of music you play.

That being said, if I decide I want to listen to the five Beethoven Piano Concerti and the neighbours prefer Eminem, they can get nicked.

The point of my post here of course is that you do not need to put that console over your companionway to accommodate speakers.

So that is one reason less to do it. What else have you got??

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
3 Jan 2015 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

I have a pair of bookshelf 3 way bass reflex speakers in the main cabin, $10 from the Salvos. Sounds good even when I'm under the boat using the hookah.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Jan 2015 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

@ HGO2............Yachts have an inherent acoustic quality which obviates any need for on deck speakers unless you want to ping your neighbours off.

I had a pair of el cheapo box speakers screwed to a timber batten that I could tie up to the boom or wherever for party nights. Noise carries over water at night so in a popular anchorage you will be sure to get complaints no matter what brand of music you play.

That being said, if I decide I want to listen to the five Beethoven Piano Concerti and the neighbours prefer Eminem, they can get nicked.

The point of my post here of course is that you do not need to put that console over your companionway to accommodate speakers.

So that is one reason less to do it. What else have you got??

Id like to keep it simple on deck so Ill look around for a multi screen that can be removed when not sailing Perhaps the mizzen could be a good mounting point.
But thats not on the high priority list
I think Ill make some new stainless steel main sheet track bolts and see if I can either redirect the holes drilled for it to a more correct angle ..
Iam not sure it it was bent deliberatly when the hatch cover was first fitted or its damage over the years. But After seeing how the sliding hatch was fitted and not hole ever drilled on the starboard side for the sliders . I wonder Any way Ill keep on . I went down there morning and started removing every thing on the boat for a good clean.
From now on Ill focus on one project and finish it and then move on as Ive only got two places on deck to fair the throttle / gear shift area and the old anchor well on deck need to be finish of and primes and painted.
After those are done Ill fit the stove and also the hatch cover Im waiting for the Lexan supplier to get back from holidays. also still have to sand and cut and polish the hatch cover which Ill do on very hot days at home its primed ready to sand back .

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
3 Jan 2015 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
I have a pair of bookshelf 3 way bass reflex speakers in the main cabin, $10 from the Salvos. Sounds good even when I'm under the boat using the hookah.

You always have such simple and cheap solutions.

It is surprising how the sound will carry underwater. An old mate was sailing one day and playing some classical music on his stereo. The dolphins must like it because he ended up with about 100 of them around his boat.

That is fine but I hope whales are not similarly attracted.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin