Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
23 Jan 2015 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

As long as the Delrin is in good condition with no chips etc they should be fine for another 30 years. They probably had a fair bit of slop even new.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Jan 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ramona

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Jan 2015 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Only have one fridge at the moment so I fitted it where next months fridge is going first to It will make it easy next month.

Ill paint the brackets tomorrow after working in the morning and fit up the compress twice meaning Ill make and drill every thing for next months as well and if all goes well power it up tomorrow some time

If I get time this weekend Ill start fitting my new acrylic Hatch cover

And of course clean up the dust and mess I do get sick f it I can tell you but at least by Sunday at the latest Ill have cold drinks No bench top of a month or so, but I will try to complete that side before I start on the stove and sink so the head compartment is finished less the sea cock. and finish trimming and wiring the interior on port side .

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Jan 2015 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Little update
The fridge runs and it so quiet have to get down on my knees and put my ear to it to hear it running I'm real glad of that I set it on three Ill leave it running off the solar panel wont bother turning it off.
I have yet to make a mounting for the compressor which Ill do over the weekend. and clean the mess up

Libran
92 posts
24 Jan 2015 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

be careful that the low voltage at dusk or cloud cover does not cause some damage to the fridge if you are wired directly to the solar without a battery.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Jan 2015 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

No its direct off two 150 amp batteries which the solar panel charges. But thanks for the warning
Cant even afford beers to put in it this week bought a few things as well as the fridge this week blown my budget.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
24 Jan 2015 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Hg

Do you need to remote mount the compressor or is there enough depth in the opening to leave it on the bottom of the fridge

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jan 2015 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi Hg

Do you need to remote mount the compressor or is there enough depth in the opening to leave it on the bottom of the fridge

Regards Don

I found I could leave it on the bottom where its located and could also do that with the front one as well But I chose to fit them under the settee as Id like to fit a
full width draw under the fridges for pot pans dishes ect , I have around 600cm wide and around 250cm to 300cm in height and from memory around 400 deep
, The other reason was to keep any heat from the compressors away from the ice boxes .I really don't think it was necessary but thats what Ive done mainly so I can have the draw as Ive taken some storage area away when removing the double door cabinet above the original stove cabinet.

The fridge lid becomes part of the bench top when its finished similar to this photo below

I will be making some draws under the sink area plus a full width draw under the sink/stove. That area Ill leave till Ive finished the fridge and port side as I still have to think more about it and I might as well focus on one side and complete it now Ive still to many half done jobs

I gave the two louvered doors a good oil instead of varnish

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
25 Jan 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, this is not recent job but I have to shere with you.
Dunny/head, when become new owner dunny was "very manual". Reading about salt water in holding tank made me to think about fresh water flush, I even got electric flush toilet with intention to conect to tank water, but realised that when using shower electric motor maybe at risk and tank water may not last long, this plan was scraped. There was only one option left: stick with "porta poti", but I was using porta poti on the way from Sydney and my attempts to empty pan overboard were messy every time. Then one day "Eureka!" I could have portapoty on top of the holding tank with macerator pumpout. Every problem solved: controled fresh water flush, macerator above holding tank in water proffed housing and efluent discharge at a press of the button, marveles .
Manitulak

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
25 Jan 2015 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
manitulak said..

That is my kind of dunny. A litre or so of water with anti smell added and a clip lid. Not much to go wrong there. Biggest hazard is tip out time.

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
25 Jan 2015 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

manitulak said..

That is my kind of dunny. A litre or so of water with anti smell added and a clip lid. Not much to go wrong there. Biggest hazard is tip out time.

Yes you are right. I did lost this bucket at first attempt to wash it. And emptying portapotti tank was fun too, I did not try to wash it by submertion and probably that why I stil got it. Using unsecured portapotties is fun too: when under way I could hold no longer, no auto pilot, I let sails flap and went downstairs to use ppotti, opened the lid and rest it against mast, and unaware of pushing ppotti toward mast which closed the lid, I did sat down with great relife, it was to late to postpone discharge, and only bucket on board was lost.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
25 Jan 2015 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Where exactly are you emptying your stuff?

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
25 Jan 2015 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Same place others do

Select to expand quote
southace said..

same place others do

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2015 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Gave these one coat of Cabots CFP floor in satin Ill lightly sand and give then another tomorrow

Altered the above to the one below

Theres enough height for a Raymarine I-70 so ive glued it up and will taken it down to the boat to see how it looks tomorrow But its more consistent with the shape of the hatch cover

The main sheet track will be mounted forward of the instrument pod similar to the photo below

bubble7777
QLD, 191 posts
26 Jan 2015 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

I was glassing my battery Shelf. the sun went down and I got chased off the boat by mosquitos. Half way through a pot of epoxy I reckon at least a hundred invaded and started eating me alive. It was awful. Hands and feat are now swollen. I had to abandon ship! Even got bitten on my lips :(

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
26 Jan 2015 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bubble7777 said..
I was glassing my battery Shelf. the sun went down and I got chased off the boat by mosquitos. Half way through a pot of epoxy I reckon at least a hundred invaded and started eating me alive. It was awful. Hands and feat are now swollen. I had to abandon ship! Even got bitten on my lips :(

I don't recommend the hot spoon trick on your lips, anywhere else if there is an itch, go for it.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2015 2:44AM
Thumbs Up

I have the same problem at home out side they eat me alive the little picks. When I was a young boy I used to catch them and pull there wings off and let them go. Not fast enough any more its unfortunate but I have to use some sort of repellent any time I work out side in the summer.
A can recall when I used to pig hunt out the bush and once I ran into a really big swam never see one that big I ran like the wind and got away from the buggers.
There scarier than a wild bore running at you

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
26 Jan 2015 2:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Where it is legally emptiable of course.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

What you don't know won't hurt you.

It is only natural.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2015 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Second coat

When the epoxy sets later Ill take that Instrument pod and hatch cover to the boat and take a couple of photos see how it looks
Clean up my home work area today its a mess first

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2015 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Took my hatch cover and Instrument pod down to the boat to see how it would look Im happy just have to work out where to make it removable and plug it in when on board

For me anyway once its painted and mounted I think Ill be happy with it Id like to fit a Raymarine I-70 and a water proof tablet and see what happens after that.
Cabling wise Im unfamiliar with there cables but I am hoping you can buy a water proof blanking plug so I can remove the instrument pod when not in use maybe

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
26 Jan 2015 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Hi southace, with my previous answer I did only satisfy your curiosity, now I will satisfy your concern.
holding tank may by vacated by macerator pump, skin valve have provision for padlock. This it not mandatory yet, but will satisfy holding tank inspection in marine parks, I did heard it did happened to some. Pic is when Tulak was on the dry.
manitulak

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Jan 2015 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

meant to add this but forgot second coat Ill sand lightly and give then another this week

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Jan 2015 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzarae said...
Getting ready for launch next week - Pushpit & davits finished with 520w of solar panels installed. Bimini is just sitting temporary.
80A controller showing 19.4 amps coming in from the panels. :)

I think this is the photo u mean

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Jan 2015 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

I was hoping to use a Raymarine I70 but it appears its hard to find a interface between the I70 and the Buhk engine. So Ive had enough of waiting and will find a spot for the engine gages below . Most likely Ill fit it under the cockpit seat at the stern and open it to use it and once the engine is shut down close the weather proof lid..
The Hatch instrument pod I made Ill use that for sailing instruments probably Tacktick wireless which measn I can remove the instrument pod when at anchor or away from the boat.
Ill start wiring it into day my project for the weekend

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Jan 2015 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

There out of the way and easy enough to see and out of the weather when its closed. Also seeing its only a 30foot boat thats one less thing inside taking up valuable space and where its fitted now there was nothing there and I can see whats going on when under power.
Trying to wire up a modal for the Bukh engine to some thing like a Raymarine I70 may have worked but its unproven with the Bukh .
I'm happy and I save boat dollars and the big plus at least I can motor when Ive finish wiring it up

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
31 Jan 2015 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

How one job always leads to another!
Replacing the cockpit floor was going to be a job for later on until I found out in the last heavy rain that some one had screwed the electrical cabinet through into the cockpit and now my new dstrbution panel is drenched.
So out with the angle grinder.

[/
It's now a two stage job. I'll do the rest when I convert back to tiller steering

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
31 Jan 2015 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

That's a neat job HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Jan 2015 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Andy your not having much luck there . I know exactly what you mean when one job leads to another , been doing that for many months now nearly 12 months and I wonder what the hell have I been doing in that time.
Well I wired up the engine panel and its back on the boat ready for tomorrows run the loom down to the battery / electrical box where I have to wire up a couple of relays one for the start solenoid and one for the stop solenoid the the engines ready with its own loom the only thing Ill have to alter is where the VDO send units it located as theres a frequent problem with the temp senders in the thermostat house Ill move it to the engine block drain plug I think its 14 mm.
Little bit of tape to keep the rain out

I'm glad I took it down there tonight as its now raining

southace
SA, 4761 posts
31 Jan 2015 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

What happen to your fridge project or did I miss that completion post Ho2.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
31 Jan 2015 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

When the lid is open does it interfere with the tiller on hard starboard turns or is their more clearance than the photo suggests

Regards Don

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin