Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
9 Feb 2015 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

I some how feel its the way the timbers been cut off the tree .

The way a piece of wood is cut out of the log is very important, good wood is quarter sawn. Most of the timber you buy these days is flat sawn as there is no waste and faster throughput of each log, therefore more profit for the miller.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Feb 2015 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

HG02 said..

I some how feel its the way the timbers been cut off the tree .

The way a piece of wood is cut out of the log is very important, good wood is quarter sawn. Most of the timber you buy these days is flat sawn as there is no waste and faster throughput of each log, therefore more profit for the miller.

These shutters would be at least 30 years old off an old house down here in Melbourne some where.
Another thing that comes to mind is weathered color of the timber the weather side was painted but the inner part of the shutters was not if you look a a yacht that has not been oiled such as below

where as the shutter timber still is not faded

I've sanded a off cut Ill take it down to the boat and I've some teak oil Ill rub on it but to me the color is faded all I really want to do it try and match it to my louvered doors if possible. photo below

The side I've cut off the shutters I want to use as framing for my head walls and also framed panels for the fridge and stove cabinets

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
9 Feb 2015 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Whatever the timber is R2D2 it would not have been anything exotic or expensive especially where there is a likelihood of it being painted.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Feb 2015 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

LooseChange said..

Whatever the timber is R2D2 it would not have been anything exotic or expensive especially where there is a likelihood of it being painted.
Loose Change its very expensive South Africa Beeper wood

I altered where it was originally located I can now sit between the tiller and the throttle lot better than it was before and its inside the cabin not inside the cockpit rope locker gathering contamination

Prop wash nice to see once again

Well I was going to do all sorts of thing today but it all focused on the Vetus throttle gear shift fitting. And of course I didn't read the instructions so it took long than expected . The main thing I did wrong was have the cable holders at the Vetus throttle up side down so my adjustment and also lever position confused. So I then found the fitting instructions and bingo there it was showing what Id done wrong,<D.H.
So after that I had some trouble with the cable adjustment at the gear box sea water over the years had taken some thread off the ball joints luckily there was a spacer fitted on the nut side so after cleaning up the thread it was adjusted and done bit right for room but no where near as bad as a original walker H28.

BlueMoon
865 posts
9 Feb 2015 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Every photo ive seen of it looks like Meranti to me, (some folk call it maple, if Meranti sounds too posh for them)

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Feb 2015 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BlueMoon said..
Every photo ive seen of it looks like Meranti to me, (some folk call it maple, if Meranti sounds too posh for them)

So I'm no boat builder Meranti should be OK to use for interior framing ?"

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Feb 2015 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

bought a LED stern light off ebay

ended up being to bigger diameter ( had two diameter measurements)
So I cut it up to suit my good old Perko stern light holes sawed the bannet globe holder out of the perko base and will slikaflex the LED to the base and then polish and assemble and screw it back on
Original looks like this still with the old number plate globe inside

mod so far
I removed the stainless cover on the LED stern light and ground the LED acrylic base down to suit the old Perko base . The perko stainless cover is in the hot wash at work Ill hoping to get all the barnacles and thirty plus year of crud off it

Have been thinking of fitting port and starboard navs light to the side of the hull

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Feb 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Just zipped down to the boat and fitted up the stern led . The cowling is to pitted so I painted it white the chrome was to far gone but she should see me out

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Feb 2015 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Started fitting my fridge mountings as the other fridge arrives next week. I moved the compressor as I have to make mountings for them at the weekend and get that epoxied to the hull

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
12 Feb 2015 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

I sailed the most part to Tasmania with a silicon bike light on my stern rail. Mast heads lights completely failed, so for an anchor light I attached a head torch to my boom with a cup full of scrunched up aluminium foil to reflect light. Thank God my bow Nav nights didn't poop themselves, well thank God for ais. I know a lot of people hate on ais, but it near saved my ass on a solo passage. Container ships are beautiful at night, but scary to wake up to a 3nm alarm with one blaring down on your bow.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Feb 2015 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

more nav lights the better helps if some fail , Thats why I am thinking of port start board hull lights in LED . That stern LED is fully sealed and Im real happy that I could use my old stern light as a bases .
Hope to chase you around the bay next spring SirJman

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
12 Feb 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
more nav lights the better helps if some fail , Thats why I am thinking of port start board hull lights in LED . That stern LED is fully sealed and Im real happy that I could use my old stern light as a bases .
Hope to chase you around the bay next spring SirJman

It pays to have certain spares on board. LED units typically should be easier to seal to prevent corrosion, but may require whole unit to be replaced when fail, unless it's a retrofit festoon bulb style led.

And yes it will be good when your boat is operational, a cruise will be in order.

BlueMoon
865 posts
12 Feb 2015 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

BlueMoon said..

So I'm no boat builder Meranti should be OK to use for interior framing ?"

HG, if its meranti it will be ideal as its typically used for exterior & interior door jambs, & is quite a stable timber.

Good stern light, you'll be seen for miles with that.

Savannah
QLD, 45 posts
12 Feb 2015 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Davits fitted as well as a new

Anchor

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Feb 2015 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Im really happy being able to use most of the old stern light and having an LED in it.
Thanks I feel that timber is Meranti , its been out in the weather for years and the off cuts Ill use for framing and the shutters Ill use in my fit out.
I used some tonight as part of the fridge mounting and Ill add a few pieces to it over the weekend .

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Feb 2015 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice davits Savannah

Savannah
QLD, 45 posts
12 Feb 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks HG, should make life a bit easier

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Feb 2015 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

Savannah always wondered bout your favourite creek . I wonder what depth it is at the entrance

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
13 Feb 2015 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Savannah always wondered bout your favourite creek . I wonder what depth it is at the entrance

It ain't no creek. It is the Burnett River and it is an all weather entrance even for bulk carriers that do not draw too much.

Quite a lot of sugar is exported from it.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Feb 2015 5:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

HG02 said..

It ain't no creek. It is the Burnett River and it is an all weather entrance even for bulk carriers that do not draw too much.

Quite a lot of sugar is exported from it.

Favourite Spots: Round Hill Creek this one Cisco always had it the back of my mind to sail there

Savannah
QLD, 45 posts
13 Feb 2015 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Round Hill Creek has a published min depth of 0.7 however local knowledge has it at 0.5 at the mouth. I basically work on the premise that it dries & use 2.5m of tide to get in & out.

It's a fantastic place to stay with a variety of spots to drop the pick depending on your draft.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
13 Feb 2015 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..

The roofed extension of the building in the right of the photo just under the davit is the new premises of The Bundaberg Cruising Yacht Club that I have been helping to build.

The B.C.Y.C. hosted the Port to Port Rallies (Port Vila to Port Bundaberg) in past years. We at last have a deal with the Bundaberg Port Marina that will give us a permanent though shared facility.

B.C.Y.C. is a registered "not for profit" club and is quite informal. We will be having regular BBQ get togethers with drinks for sale and all are welcome, especially visiting yachts.

Web site here, soon to be updated. http://www.bcyc.net.au/

We are pouring the slab for the club house today.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Feb 2015 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

I don't like doing this but have decided to cut this original loured door down to fit in front of the fridges its approximately the same depth and will match in with the color of the smaller louvered doors . It uses a simple biscuit join corners so it wont be to difficult.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Feb 2015 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said..

HG02 said..

The roofed extension of the building in the right of the photo just under the davit is the new premises of The Bundaberg Cruising Yacht Club that I have been helping to build.

The B.C.Y.C. hosted the Port to Port Rallies (Port Vila to Port Bundaberg) in past years. We at last have a deal with the Bundaberg Port Marina that will give us a permanent though shared facility.

B.C.Y.C. is a registered "not for profit" club and is quite informal. We will be having regular BBQ get togethers with drinks for sale and all are welcome, especially visiting yachts.

Web site here, soon to be updated. http://www.bcyc.net.au/

We are pouring the slab for the club house today.

How did the slab pour go today Cisco?

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
13 Feb 2015 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

It got done and dusted by about 2pm. All good.

nswsailor
NSW, 1431 posts
14 Feb 2015 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Spent last night onboard sorting out navigation lights, all OK now.

This was the scene this morning, no need to go to Tasmania I think, for now anyway!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
13 Feb 2015 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
Spent last night onboard sorting out navigation lights, all OK now.

This was the scene this morning, no need to go to Tasmania I think, for now anyway!

Where is this photo taken mate, Camden Haven??

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Feb 2015 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
It got done and dusted by about 2pm. All good.

Are the Sunnies on because of the beer afterwards Cisco OH not another slab to do

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Feb 2015 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Before and after pic of the chart locker!

Right oh south ace Id like to see a photo of whats in there now

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Feb 2015 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Toph said..
Bet it doesn't look like that for long Southace

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin