Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Feb 2015 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Some one was using one of these down at the marina today very stable

Made my wiring ready for the second fridge and did some frame supports work for the fridge also. Mounted my deck wash pump . Ill Tee off the engine sea cock at this stage see how it works out When I'm on the hard next Ill be fitting two 1 1/2 sea cock one for the engine ( plus head inlet and deck wash)and the other for the head out let.
Removed the thrust plate off the water pump to inspect what the impeller looked like . When I did I found a piece of crud sitting in the outlet pipe of the pump which would have reduced my flow to the engine. So after ecery thing was refitted I ran her in forward gear for 1/2 and hour seen a lot better than yesterday.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
15 Feb 2015 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
Spent last night onboard sorting out navigation lights, all OK now.
This was the scene this morning, no need to go to Tasmania I think, for now anyway!

Nice photo NSW.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
15 Feb 2015 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

This was the scene this morning, no need to go to Tasmania I think, for now anyway!

Tassie 1 NSW 0

Your serve

Regards Don

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
15 Feb 2015 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

That is absolutely spectacular.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
15 Feb 2015 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

That is absolutely spectacular.

Hi Cisco

It is not a bad photo of a sunrise at Port Huon taken by my sister a couple of years ago

Regards Don

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
15 Feb 2015 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Red sky in the morning, sailors warning.

Red sky at night, sailors delight.

I thought it was a sunset. I am not an early riser.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Feb 2015 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

nswsailor said..

Tassie 1 NSW 0

Your serve

Regards Don

You Donk Are Just a show off

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
16 Feb 2015 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Donk107 said..

nswsailor said..

Tassie 1 NSW 0

Your serve

Regards Don

Hi HG

I could not let a chance go by to have a dig

I probably should have tossed in a Aurora as well

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Feb 2015 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said...
HG02 said..
Donk107 said..

nswsailor said..

Tassie 1 NSW 0

Your serve

Regards Don

Hi HG

I could not let a chance go by to have a dig

I probably should have tossed in a Aurora as well

Regards Don

I used to enjoy the Aurora when I lived on the west coast

nswsailor
NSW, 1434 posts
16 Feb 2015 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yes to all, it was taken just after sunrise [no storm in sight though] on the Camden Haven River, NSW.

Had the first fitting of my new horizontal wind vane today, only a few adjustments [already done] and the steering ropes to be fitted.
Have to remove the stern ladder also.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Feb 2015 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

The original stanchions are alloy was going to change them to stainless steel thought Id tidy them up and use them for a couple of years used Kill rust epoxy white seems to have stuck OK .
So those boat dollars save can go to some thing else

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Feb 2015 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
Yes to all, it was taken just after sunrise [no storm in sight though] on the Camden Haven River, NSW.

Had the first fitting of my new horizontal wind vane today, only a few adjustments [already done] and the steering ropes to be fitted.
Have to remove the stern ladder also.

looking forward to your sea trials NSW

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Feb 2015 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Mounted my safety rails roughly this morning before work
One less thing hanging around home

[/
Staunchtions I meant bubble corrected me biit sleepy this morning

nswsailor
NSW, 1434 posts
17 Feb 2015 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Starting to look like a yacht HG02.

Sea trails will have to occur after I slip SEAKA.
Moved the rudder yesterday and felt all the barnacles crunching so I suspect the prop is foul too.

Only dived on her a couple of weeks ago and cleaned the sh#t off

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Feb 2015 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Major expenses over for a while now . Next is finish off the port side completely and then start on finishing the star board side that should keep me busy for a coupe of months also I need to finish off the deck painting on fine days ,while I save for Anchor windlass.
After that is get the masts home and start on a repaint

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
18 Feb 2015 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

HG , That is going to be the best H28 in the history of the universe ......... you are to be congratulated , keep up the amazing work !!!!!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Feb 2015 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

HG , That is going to be the best H28 in the history of the universe ......... you are to be congratulated , keep up the amazing work !!!!!!

Alway open for donations SandS Wel, I dont drink and dont gamble and I cant take it with me SandS and I love the word B.O.A.T it looks like

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
19 Feb 2015 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

Spent the whole day trying to fix thus lesk under the sink which I thought would be a five minute job putting thread tape on this elbow joint. Two trips to town later and then advised to just use sikaflex now waiting till tomorrow to see if that worked.

[

img]
D

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
19 Feb 2015 2:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..
Spent the whole day trying to fix thus lesk under the sink which I thought would be a five minute job putting thread tape on this elbow joint. Two trips to town later and then advised to just use sikaflex now waiting till tomorrow to see if that worked.

What's the Sikaflex supposed to do that the rubber seals that are meant to be in there won't do? Also the teflon tape is somewhat extraneous, the rubber seals should have stopped the water getting to the thread level.

BlueMoon
866 posts
19 Feb 2015 4:23AM
Thumbs Up

There should be a small black rubber seal, that gets tightened(before the thread as LC said) on as you screw the joint together, that should of been enough.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Feb 2015 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BlueMoon said..
There should be a small black rubber seal, that gets tightened(before the thread as LC said) on as you screw the joint together, that should of been enough.

these sort of seals Mc Nautical

Theres are just examples but you can see what Blue moon and L.C., mean

brizzydave
406 posts
21 Feb 2015 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah..don't put tape on the threads norto. When you go to get the seal, ask for trap washers. It's hard to tell if you will need the square ones or the double taper variety from the photos. Take the elbow with you. I reckon they will be square.

That plug and waste assembly will be fine with kitchen and bathroom silicon, but get a rubber ring if you want to. Don't worry about sealing inside the bowl, just seal between the bottom flange and the underneath of the sink.

Silicon will dry in a few hours. Fill up your sink to the top and let the water run out in one big rush to test it.

If you have trouble, trash that mess and buy and new plug n waste and s and p combo trap etc. That way you'll get all new seals etc.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Feb 2015 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Removed the port side cedar roof enough to epoxy a ply wood plate in there for the grab handles and closed ever thing up and screwed down my two remaining grab handles and wired in the other teak lamp..
I have made the grab handle fit close to where the port lights are open in doing so it also holds the port light open so they cant close theres not quiet enough friction on the port light to keep them selves open on there own . The two smaller port they stay open on there own but the larger ones just a little bit to much weight .

Had several cold drinks out of the fridge and put in some zooper doopers into one fridge and cranked it up to freeze them . Should be good tomorrow in the heat of the afternoon .
Tomorrow Ill wire in the port side lights to the switch panel I have a feeling the switch panel might end up like the engine gages some where else than where they were or are.
I may make another Huon panel for the opposite side from the stereo and put all my house wiring to it and fix switch panel on to it. Ill have a separate switch panel for my motor and sailing system at the moment my battery box where every thing is terminate to is started to look like a ferrets toilet
Ive been thinking about my front speakers ( near the chain plates) and may use some ply and have another go at Huon pine veneering and do a matching set up similar to the one Ive done already below.

I should be able to do a much better job of it this time learn't a few things not to do last time.
The bottom cedar strip on the port lights Ill remove and trim the next short cedar planks so the bottom cedar strip can close up the gaps under the port lights
Ill probably remake the short plank on the right. My main concern is getting it up there I can always redo a few things later that are N.Q.R.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
22 Feb 2015 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Set up the new solent stay. It's stored on an eye next to the forward shroud. Seems to work but I'll need to make it a bit easier to set up with some easy clips rather than using tiny shackles with unsecured pins. I suppose if I'm heading out on a long trip I can set it up beforehand and furl the genoa when tacking / gybing.

I wasn't sure where to attach the tack and this seemed to work. Is that okay?

I ran the sheet on the stormsail back to a place where I thought it might work based on the angle of the sail.

I'd like to get a smallish jib to hank on also.

Any thoughts or ideas for those with experience with these things?

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
22 Feb 2015 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

PS: the second last pic is how the sheet sits at rest and the last one is me leaning on it estimating how it might be in a blow.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
22 Feb 2015 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

That small shackle in the second picture is all that's holding everything together, either it's gross underkill or the other two shackles are gross overkill. Also where the stay is positioned it isn't a Solent stay anymore, rather now the whole rig is called a Slutter rig. A Solent stay would be positioned further back from the fore stay.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
22 Feb 2015 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

LooseChange said...
Also where the stay is positioned it isn't a Solent stay anymore, rather now the whole rig is called a Slutter rig. A Solent stay would be positioned further back from the fore stay.

I did a bit of reading about solents, cutters, stutters, baby stays and decided it was a solent. This article for example: www.sailmagazine.com/diy/convert-your-sloop-to-a-double-headsail-rig

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
22 Feb 2015 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..
That small shackle in the second picture is all that's holding everything together, either it's gross underkill or the other two shackles are gross overkill.

YeAh, that small shackle looks tiny doesn't it, but the stated working load is 880 kg I think. Go figure. The other shackles are just working up to a size I can't get through the tack eye - just odd shackles I had lying around. Perhaps I should just run some spectra Or something Instead.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
22 Feb 2015 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

DrRog said..

I am quite surprised your Adams 31 is set up that way.

My very good mate's Adams 31 was originally and still is cutter rigged with the inner stay and running backstays rigged from the second spreader. It also had a furler on the forestay that he got totally sick of and removed it.

He still uses the stay sail on occasion but his primary head sail is a reefable Yankee. It is reefed at the bottom and takes out about a third of it's area. He is primarily a single hander and is 78 yrs young.

The attachment of your Solent stay at the top looks to be in the right spot (ie the line of the stay is in line with the top of the back stay) but I think your attachment at the deck needs a bit of work.

It wouldn't hurt if it came back a bit so the clew of your storm jib was in line with the mast which would make your sheeting angle a tad better. I think it is too far back in this pic.

This is just my opinion based on what I have read on Solent stays. I have no practical experience of them.

Some more info on Solent rigs.

www.cruisingworld.com/how/two-headsails-are-better-one/

joecoopersailing.com/solent-stays/

www.svsarah.com/Sarah/ewUpgradeSolentStay.htm

Plenty more on Google.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
24 Feb 2015 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the links, Cisco.

I have looked at every Adams 31 online for the past few years and have seen none set up as a cutter, so your mate's is very unusual and not to design - Joe Adams designed it as a sloop (with an optional inner stay, which is rare). I elected to have the stay further forward to avoid running backstays and so I could hank on a jib rather than have to change wrestle the genoa down.

Re the sheeting, the genoa tracks extend to just beyond the mast so I can certainly move the cars a lot further forward. I suppose I shall have to take her out in a breeze and see what works.

Re the clew, this particular storm jib is undersized as far as the specs go (5.2m2 rather than 7.25m2) so perhaps that's a factor in where the clew sits. For now I've chosen to attach the stay to the existing cleat wanting to minimise time and costs at the rigger's and because at the time I was installing a windlass and wasn't sure how they'd work completing for deck space at the bow. I suppose it isn't ideal and I could 'fairly easily' install a well-reinforced eyepad at the anchor locker bulkhead.

Thanks for the input. :)

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin