Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
18 May 2015 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

She is beautiful CR. I would be proud to own her if she was mine. In aluminium?? Very interesting.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
I hear what you are saying. What I was thinking of was filling the holes with an epoxy /teak dust bog, then drilling them out again so that a half inch end grain dowel will fit neatly in the hole and conceal the countersunk bolt head.

Even though the rails look like they might have sagged, the curve is cut into the rails so that they fit the cabin top.

I might be missing something but Im not sure how increasing the depth of the holes would help.

I have some spare plugs I can post to you if you need them. I made them out of an old teak table i bought for $100

NO No what I meant was a new piece of teak cut to grab rail size and left for gravity to put some curve in it even with a bit of weight over time it will curve

epoxy and teak dust would do I used to do that with normal putty and wood dust to get the colour right

My grab rails are to thin I think they need replacing some time in the future along with some on my rub rail Ill scarf some in in the next year or two

CoolRunnings
NSW, 159 posts
18 May 2015 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
She is beautiful CR. I would be proud to own her if she was mine. In aluminium?? Very interesting.

Yes aluminium Cisco.

Not my favourite species, but here is the thinking.

Trouble around here is hauling out, as is the case these days in a lot of other places as well.
I could see the writing a few years ago and now that the slipway/hardstand has finally closed in Wollongong, it's a 50 mile trip in either direction to slip.

Therefore, sell the yacht and stay afloat for a while in something else. We can take it away locally on a trailer to clean and antifoul.

There is also a long held dream to cruise some of the inland waterways such as the Murray River, Gippsland Lakes etc.

Will never be too far away from the bluewater stuff however.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
19 May 2015 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoolRunnings said..

Whilst not strictly a sail boat, the little Tugboat does have a mast and will have a steadying mainsail attached.
You can all shout me down if you like!
Finally got the windows, portholes and hatches done. She is now at lock-up stage.
Time to get some more fixtures installed down below.

That is the cutest boat!!!

CoolRunnings
NSW, 159 posts
19 May 2015 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..

CoolRunnings said..
'> <a href= ' class='forumPostTextImage' />
Whilst not strictly a sail boat, the little Tugboat does have a mast and will have a steadying mainsail attached.
You can all shout me down if you like!
Finally got the windows, portholes and hatches done. She is now at lock-up stage.
Time to get some more fixtures installed down below.

That is the cutest boat!!!

Gratzi McNaughtical.

Well, we had the means and a whole lot of material laying around, so why not?

I just hope she sits well in the water come launch time.
I'm a bit concerned that she maybe a little 'bum heavy'.
Bloody hell, just got a slap on the ear from my wife-Must have thought 'she' was the topic in all of this!

Oh, by the way that Linbide scraper Andy is using on his teak rails are the best in the business.

Thanks for your favourable comments-CR.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 May 2015 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Cool running you have done here justice shes very nice

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
20 May 2015 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Very nice boat CR. If you get her on the Murray and go to Echuca you'll find another 'Hero' there, a restored paddlewheeler.
I think motoring the Murray in your Hero would be an absolute delight. Good luck.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
20 May 2015 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry HG I get it now

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
20 May 2015 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Love your boat Cool Runnings

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 May 2015 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Bead blasted my tapper cover and then while they had some Black in the paint gun it got painted

Im waiting for gaskets and o rings should have before the weekend and Ill add a Bukh decal for the tappet cover either white or red . Ill leave the bronze or brass natural rather than paint it on the decompression mountings.
Ill do thew tappets while its off the engine and replace the PVC valve pipe o Ring as well
Next rainy day Ill remove the exhaust manifold and clean it so I could eat my lunch on the inside of it Bead blast it back to bare metal.
This weekend is warm so Ill strip the bowspit and sand it and lay a coat of Sikens and also add another coat on the rest of the timber on deck.
Id say this weekend will be the last of any good weather for a while down here ;. So my timber will be nicely protected

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
20 May 2015 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

HG that is magnificence !!!! I love it

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
20 May 2015 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Nice HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 May 2015 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you Gentleman possibly the only DV 20 with a black hat

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
21 May 2015 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like you'll finish up with the Rolls Royce of Bukh engines HG. BTW how did the fitting of the pencil anode go after your descale.
Did you manage to clear a space around it with something suitable??. I put a 1/2" drill bit through the orifice after my descale but it was
clear of any build up, but I do intend to buy an inspection light this Saturday so I can have a really good look inside the water jacket
any time I like.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 May 2015 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said...

Looks like you'll finish up with the Rolls Royce of Bukh engines HG. BTW how did the fitting of the pencil anode go after your descale.
Did you manage to clear a space around it with something suitable??. I put a 1/2" drill bit through the orifice after my descale but it was
clear of any build up, but I do intend to buy an inspection light this Saturday so I can have a really good look inside the water jacket
any time I like.

Used to work for a rolls royce dealer sam among other places . Didnt like the 70's modrls much preffered the pre 69's . Some have aloy fire walls and a couple of cow hide for the intetior . Nothing like working on an old 1932 model .you can remove the front guards before you start and a straight 8 runs really smooth .

I removed my throttle bracket to get full access to my pencil anode
Shes clean now
But ill remove the exhaust manifold in the coming week or so and clean it back to bare metal inside and out
I guess your waiting till you get your inspection scope to finaliE your oil leak

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
21 May 2015 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Correct HG. I'm hoping the inspection light will enable me to peer at all the inaccessible places (it should do). I'll let you know
how I get on with it. I think Monday may be a suitable boat day. Glad you have Rolls Royce experience, I can
put you on a pedestal (motor mechanic extraordinaire). Good luck with the exhaust manifold.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 May 2015 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Correct HG. I'm hoping the inspection light will enable me to peer at all the inaccessible places (it should do). I'll let you know
how I get on with it. I think Monday may be a suitable boat day. Glad you have Rolls Royce experience, I can
put you on a pedestal (motor mechanic extraordinaire). Good luck with the exhaust manifold.

As I read you're wording it came to me you were about to say you own R.R. Sam

The only R.R. I want to see is rest and relaxation Sam There beautiful old cars though a exhaust hanger back around 1970 was $100 and an exhaust system around $2400 there worst than a Cisco B.O.A.T.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
21 May 2015 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Never got to own a RR HG.I was always a Jaguar man. My first two cars were XK120's, but that was back in the day.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 May 2015 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Never got to own a RR HG.I was always a Jaguar man. My first two cars were XK120's, but that was back in the day.

you'd have to be a spanner man to own one of those Sam All my exotics were bikes Ducati's . Harleys and Motto Guzzi's maybe my old 1968 MGB thats about it for me

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
21 May 2015 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Today I applied the fourth coat of Feast Watson Weatherproof varnish to my tiller. I have been lightly sanding with 400 grit between coats with increased drying/curing times between coats as well.

It is starting to look like it has been dipped in honey.

Will post pics when I am done.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 May 2015 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Today I applied the fourth coat of Feast Watson Weatherproof varnish to my tiller. I have been lightly sanding with 400 grit between coats with increased drying/curing times between coats as well.

It is starting to look like it has been dipped in honey.

Will post pics when I am done.

looking forward to that Cisco
Removed most of my bow spit bolts tonight the rest tomorrow after work need a hand to hold the bolt heads wile undoing the nuts inside and Ill bring it home to sand top, bottom and sides and coat with my sikens light oak over the next three days . What Ive done last weekend has lightened up nicely . Ill add more coats over the weekend and do what else is not done on deck, hatch area and stay sail track teak mountings.
The tiller will have to wait till spring Ill be having a go following Cisco tiller

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 May 2015 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

She's glued down hard so ill sand it where she is. looking forward to laying the first coat on the timber

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
23 May 2015 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Well done HG. That first coat will give you a good idea on how it will look when finished. BTW I bought my new toy today (inspection camera) so if you want a cheap endoscopy give me a call and I'll pop over.

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
23 May 2015 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

A real beauty !

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
Thumbs Up

Dont like the idea of sanding teak back but its probably never had a good sand back . Ive found that Sikens can some time turn a wine colour on my boat in the first coat

every thing else on deck had another coat of sikens light oak Cetol HSLe. Tomorrow the same anothr coat on every thing and Mondays a RDO so it will be getting another on Monday.
Once its coated tomorrow Ill be cleaning inside and painting the starboard forward cabin side hull

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
Thumbs Up

A real beauty !

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
23 May 2015 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

HG, you better get that bowsprit so glossy you can comb your hair in it's reflection like my tiller.

Fifth coat goes on tomorrow.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 May 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

HG, you better get that bowsprit so glossy you can comb your hair in it's reflection like my tiller.

Fifth coat goes on tomorrow.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
23 May 2015 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Glossy ? keep rubbing her ho2! Can I come for a sail on your launch day?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 May 2015 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Glossy ? keep rubbing her ho2! Can I come for a sail on your launch day?

You will be far to old by the time I raise a sail South Ace

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin