Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 May 2015 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

HG02 said..

Donk107 said..
Hi HG

I have solved your solar panel problem and you get a new set of sails at the same time

Regards Don

Heard Tasmainians had lots of spare cash you sponsoring my sails Donk .. Your wife would drown us both Then sell our boats and live the life .
So this must be a motor sailer Donk wind power and a electric motor Id take it.
A Catamaran fitted out like that would be awesome

Hi HG

Unfortunatly I can't see that happening

Did you look at the link I posted and what did you think about the ability to incorporate solar cells into various covers on a yacht as well as the mainsail

What made you change your mind about the original solar panel?

Regards Don

I've been looking for a flexible the rig ht size for over a year. I've found a 135 watt 1400 x 540 two will fit in the cabin roof placing there will mean some times they will work and some times they wont shading from the rigging. Ill run two controllers one for each on separate circuits .
Have not looked at that link must have missed it

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
26 May 2015 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

HI HG

This is the one http://www.uksailmakers.com/News/SAIL-POWER-MEETS-SOLAR-POWER_1_793.html

The interesting bit to me was that the solar cells could be incorporated in covers and other stuff not just sails

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 May 2015 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..

CoolRunnings said..
We cut out and fitted the main cabin floor on the Tugboat over the weekend. The console was next and today installed more fixtures including the engine dashboard,electrical switch panel, Morse throttle/gearbox cables, along with the Hydrive steer.

All in all,a good day's worth and probably used every swear word known to man today.

That..looks..stunning. Wow. I'm impressed CR, talk about setting the bar!

nice stuff C.R, you do nice work

CoolRunnings
NSW, 159 posts
26 May 2015 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the recent compliments Shaggybaxter and HG.

It is a good outlet for me from the daily grind on building sites.

Have always admired your will HG in restoring the H28, particularly whilst it is still in the water. The porthole treatment on the cabin really does set it off and I know it would have been a big deal for you to achieve.

What is the story with your title pic Shaggy?-That yacht looks to me like a serious piece of kit!

Regards.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
26 May 2015 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..

Donk107 said..
HI HG

This is the one http://www.uksailmakers.com/News/SAIL-POWER-MEETS-SOLAR-POWER_1_793.html

The interesting bit to me was that the solar cells could be incorporated in covers and other stuff not just sails

Regards Don

nice stuff Donk you sure you would not like to sponsor my sails

Love to HG but unfortunately I am not to be trusted with money by the powers to be

What are your thoughts on the info in the link

Regards Don

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
26 May 2015 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got around to connecting the ST60 tridata and Tacktick wind to the Vesper AIS with WiFi (xb-8000).

Had a few issues sorting out a data loop but eventually got there.

A couple of cheap Apps that allow the instruments to display on the iPad. NMEAremote And EDO Instruments.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 May 2015 12:09AM
Thumbs Up

reassembles my tappet cover and will pick up my bow rails tomorrow had two lower side rails welded in.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 May 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Fastest bow rails this week 100 klms eat that you fast catamarans
I did lash them down with more than the electrical tape

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
28 May 2015 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

reassembles my tappet cover and will pick up my bow rails tomorrow had two lower side rails welded in.

Come on HG!! The black rocker cover is great but you should not have sand blasted the brass/bronze fittings.

It is now going to take you a lot of time with a file and emery tape to get them to the point where they are polishable.

If you are going to depart from the original colour scheme of the engine, you have to make it sexy like I did.

Mine is base Gold and Red bits as you have seen. Youtube smooth diesel.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 May 2015 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

I sprayed them with clear Cisco The 6mm bolts will be replaced with S/S with a little dob of loctite to insulate them

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 May 2015 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha HG Surely there's a competition for the best looking bukh ever

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 May 2015 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..
Finally got around to connecting the ST60 tridata and Tacktick wind to the Vesper AIS with WiFi (xb-8000).

Had a few issues sorting out a data loop but eventually got there.

A couple of cheap Apps that allow the instruments to display on the iPad. NMEAremote And EDO Instruments.

That's awesome Free Radical

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 May 2015 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

all assembled added some small stainless bolts and nuts and used some loctite to hold every thing together and insulate.

While down at the bolt shop I made up an order for my bowspirt bolts all replace all of them while there off.
Question . What would be best sealant to use on assembly of the teak bowsprit and through the fiber glass.
I do have some sikaflex 291, but I'm thinking thats a bit strong to seal up the bolts going through the bowsprit.
Also dropped off my bow rails at MME for polishing . I'm off to the boat for 10 minuets

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
28 May 2015 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

Not saying this is the best but it was recommended to me by a friend who has built a couple of large cruising yachts for above and below the waterline fittingswww.whitworths.com.au/fixtech-msp15-fixseal-white-290ml
It doesn't say above and below the waterline in the link above but it does on the tube
Regards Don

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2517 posts
28 May 2015 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoolRunnings said..

Have always admired your will HG in restoring the H28, particularly whilst it is still in the water. The porthole treatment on the cabin really does set it off and I know it would have been a big deal for you to achieve.

What is the story with your title pic Shaggy?-That yacht looks to me like a serious piece of kit!

Regards.

Hi CR,
Sorry, I have been away for a few days. The title piccie is a Pogo 12.50 that we are having built at the moment. Can't wait, it will be almost one year to the day from placing the order to having finished. I feel like I'm cheating mentioning it in this thread, as I am not actually building it, I am posting what is happening to it as it is progressing. I would love to be involved in the build, but the manufacturer is in France so it is a bit hard to nip over and get my hands dirty!
My current boat is a Sonata 8m, which is feeling unloved as it is going up for sale to make room for the new boat, however all the work has been done on it so there is nothing to add here.
I love older boats, and I enjoy tinkering on them as much as sailing them, so I am enjoying immensely watching everyone's efforts on their own boats.
Hope you gentlemen (and ladies) don't mind the occasional post as the Pogo progresses, I am a bit like an expectant father at the moment!
Regards,
SB

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 May 2015 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Donk107 said..
Hi HG

Not saying this is the best but it was recommended to me by a friend who has built a couple of large cruising yachts for above and below the waterline fittingswww.whitworths.com.au/fixtech-msp15-fixseal-white-290ml
It doesn't say above and below the waterline in the link above but it does on the tube
Regards Don

Thanks Donk Ill probably sniff around Whitworths on Saturday morning in a anchor section looking around so Ill pick one up

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
28 May 2015 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

No worries

Down here Whitworths have it in white, black or clear

Regards Don

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2517 posts
29 May 2015 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

This is a picture of the first few ribs, the keel box and the engine subframe going in. The keel box supports the swing keel, it has a hydraulic release valve that prevents the keel from damage from any impact that could cause damage from underwater objects (or groundings!)

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
29 May 2015 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

<deleted>

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 May 2015 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
<deleted>

you went going to say its a trailer sailer were you Dr Rog

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
29 May 2015 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

DrRog said..
<deleted>

you went going to say its a trailer sailer were you Dr Rog

Shaggy's little dinghy? Nah. But while we're on the subject I think that release valve probably costs what my boat cost.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 May 2015 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Shaggy

She is a impressive looking boat

if you don't mind me asking what are you intending to do with her

regards Don

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2517 posts
29 May 2015 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Dr, I only wish you could do a trade-in like you can with a car, mind you my little Sonata will probably cover the cost of the sails :)
I was lucky, I had my business partner get involved after recently falling for the sailing itch,which was a bonus, I simply couldn't have done it myself.

Thanks Donk.
I enjoy social racing around the bay, but I've always wanted to have a boat that I can take offshore safely, or cruise somewhere with the family. The Sonata is great fun and I love it to death, but it is just a wee bit too small to take offshore comfortably.
I don't want the hassle anymore of organising crew just to go out and have fun, so I wanted something I can single hand comfortably. It will never win a handicap race admittedly, as it is heavily penalised under IRC, but I am of the age where I don't really mind,it is the enjoyment of sailing I am looking for.

Having said that, I am just enjoying the effort and commitment I am seeing on this thread, I get just as much a kick of reading about a bent bit of metal being fashioned into something as much as my own build.

I have also learnt a lot and used some ideas from this very thread for my own boat, but I confess to being nowhere near as talented, so I feel like Iv'e finally got something to share with you guys and gals in return :)

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2517 posts
29 May 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
all assembled added some small stainless bolts and nuts and used some loctite to hold every thing together and insulate.

While down at the bolt shop I made up an order for my bowspirt bolts all replace all of them while there off.
Question . What would be best sealant to use on assembly of the teak bowsprit and through the fiber glass.
I do have some sikaflex 291, but I'm thinking thats a bit strong to seal up the bolts going through the bowsprit.
Also dropped off my bow rails at MME for polishing . I'm off to the boat for 10 minuets

Like this! I love this thread. It makes me want to run down and strip, sand and repaint everything that unbolts. Then reality kicks in, but watching your various projects unfold is very inspiring.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 May 2015 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

Im enjoying your build Shaggy keep them coming . I post in this thread a lot to keep it up and running . Its interesting to see what others are doing to the boats and how they do it.

CoolRunnings
NSW, 159 posts
30 May 2015 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..

CoolRunnings said..

Regards.

Hi CR,
Sorry, I have been away for a few days. The title piccie is a Pogo 12.50 that we are having built at the moment. Can't wait, it will be almost one year to the day from placing the order to having finished. I feel like I'm cheating mentioning it in this thread, as I am not actually building it, I am posting what is happening to it as it is progressing. I would love to be involved in the build, but the manufacturer is in France so it is a bit hard to nip over and get my hands dirty!
My current boat is a Sonata 8m, which is feeling unloved as it is going up for sale to make room for the new boat, however all the work has been done on it so there is nothing to add here.
I love older boats, and I enjoy tinkering on them as much as sailing them, so I am enjoying immensely watching everyone's efforts on their own boats.
Hope you gentlemen (and ladies) don't mind the occasional post as the Pogo progresses, I am a bit like an expectant father at the moment!
Regards,
SB

Keep the pictures coming please!

Looks very tidy and quite the project.

I remember a Pogo 40 out of CYCA just a few years ago, but cannot remember it's name without Googling.
She was pretty quick and had a couple of Hobarts under it's keel as well.

Assume yours is the next gen being longer and with the canting keel etc?

CR.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
30 May 2015 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Shaggy

On the Pogo site it shows the boat with a tiller but your avatar shows it with twin wheels

Just wondering what you have chosen

It is interesting that you mention about trading your Sonata on the Pogo because one of the blokes i know down here was offered a trade in on his existing Jenneau on a new one by the local dealer

Regards Don

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2517 posts
30 May 2015 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

There was a 2008 pogo 40 that went to NZ, Krakatoa II I think it was.
Yes and yes. The 12.50 hull comes from the Pogo 40s2 (2012 model), but no water ballast, slightly bigger keel at 10ft , and a slightly higher freeboard.
Looks like the right sort of day to be tinkering on the boat!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 May 2015 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
There was a 2008 pogo 40 that went to NZ, Krakatoa II I think it was.
Yes and yes. The 12.50 hull comes from the Pogo 40s2 (2012 model), but no water ballast, slightly bigger keel at 10ft , and a slightly higher freeboard.
Looks like the right sort of day to be tinkering on the boat!

About to go down there had to make the lady of the house breakfast and shes loves a sleep in but gives me brownie points

If I get time this weekend Ill remove the exhaust manifold and clean and repaint it and while the alternator is off Ill add a W terminal for the tacho .

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 May 2015 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Wired in my oil pressure gauge and gave the motor a run at 90% throttle for a hour or so

Put another coat of silkens on my bowsprit and stay sail teak mounting and then added a coat on o0ld mates boat a couple of fingers down.
One of the return favours for me was really nice he dropped down this afternoon and gave me a teak table thats been sitting around in his shed for many years.
I brought it home and gave it a wash and dried it off and rubbed some teak oil into it looks like it will come up very nicely.

After a wash .

Ill clean it up some more and make a frame for it on the forward cabin bulk head happy as

some thing like this one

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin