Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
30 May 2015 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, but I don't get the fascination with teak, to me it's as boring as bat crap.

jgb1787
WA, 70 posts
30 May 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Started to reassemble my mast after stripping it down and having it repainted!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 May 2015 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..
Sorry, but I don't get the fascination with teak, to me it's as boring as bat crap.

Sorry
Well it was free for a start Loose Change and it will fit nicely thank you very much . I don't really care what it is. it fits exactly where I wanted a table on the bulk head wall when not in use and its kilos lighter than the original and the table post dosent stick out the the floor like the original . Im happy as a pig in a puddle
If you care to send some thing better Ill fit that instead

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
31 May 2015 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Sorry
Well it was free for a start Loose Change and it will fit nicely thank you very much . I don't really care what it is. it fits exactly where I wanted a table on the bulk head wall when not in use and its kilos lighter than the original and the table post dosent stick out the the floor like the original . Im happy as a pig in a puddle

No R2D2, I understand the concept of getting something for free. It was more of a general comment regarding the popularity of teak, I used to work with it all day and after a while you get to hate it for its blandness ... that and the way it dulls your tools.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 May 2015 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

HG02 said..

Sorry

No R2D2, I understand the concept of getting something for free. It was more of a general comment regarding the popularity of teak, I used to work with it all day and after a while you get to hate it for its blandness ... that and the way it dulls your tools.

I know exactly what you mean . When I look at my bulk head which is teak veneer and so vast an area it needs some thing ( theres one of those old 70's boat)
I was thinking on my cedar roof and sides the other day mind was saying to much timber. It might end up with either painted sides or roof just to break it up and clock working brass screws

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
31 May 2015 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jgb1787 said..

Looks good!! Are you happy with it??

What did you use to paint it?? What sort of preparation?? Spray or roller??

I have my mast in the back yard at the moment getting ready to paint. There was a discussion on this a few months back & there were a lot of different ideas from Bunnings metal paint to Nyalic.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 May 2015 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Im still on the fence with this to all ears

jgb1787
WA, 70 posts
31 May 2015 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzarae said...
jgb1787 said..

I have my mast in the back yard at the moment getting ready to paint. There was a discussion on this a few months back & there were a lot of different ideas from Bunnings metal paint to Nyalic.

Very happy with the outcome so far. I was lucky enough to be able to take it into my workplace and have it sprayed in a booth with 2pac.

The biggest and hardest task for me was the Preperation. The original paint was very flakey so had to take it back to bare aluminium. I used a scraper and numerous grades of paint removing discs and polishers on my 5" grinder

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
31 May 2015 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jgb1787 said..

Lazzarae said...

jgb1787 said..

Very happy with the outcome so far. I was lucky enough to be able to take it into my workplace and have it sprayed in a booth with 2pac.

The biggest and hardest task for me was the Preperation. The original paint was very flakey so had to take it back to bare aluminium. I used a scraper and numerous grades of paint removing discs and polishers on my 5" grinder

Thanks for that.

Yeah, not looking forward to the sanding!!

Do you know what 2 pack it was??

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 May 2015 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Do you know what primer they used jgb1787 ?

No photos but I added another coat to the bowsprit early this morning and then painted out the forward cabin hull sides and refitted the cedar on the hull sides afterwards . Then started making a bed base will also fit the table under the bed in the middle of the forward cabin door so it can slide out when in used and retracted when not being used and under there Ill make some long draws for storage . Ill use all the walk in recess in the forward cabin for draws and table storage .

The forward cabin recess is 1200 deep and the table length is 1200 so it will slide in there nicely
This is an old photo below

southace
SA, 4762 posts
31 May 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Etch primer I hope.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
31 May 2015 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

HO2 you should it it with some Bunnings paint stripper and gloss it up with the stuff below..... But hey it's your boat do what ya like!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 May 2015 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

I will give it some TLC South ace

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
31 May 2015 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

just push the lid down a touch more please S/A

southace
SA, 4762 posts
31 May 2015 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Whoops ! I have been high for days next coatings I will do outside!

jgb1787
WA, 70 posts
31 May 2015 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Lazzarae & HG02 I'll ask my painter at work on Tuesday and see what products he used.

Managed to fit the new mast top this afternoon, apologies the photo is a little dark.

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
31 May 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

I hadn't intended to paint my mast top but I think I will now.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
31 May 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jgb1787 said..
Lazzarae & HG02 I'll ask my painter at work on Tuesday and see what products he used.

Managed to fit the new mast top this afternoon, apologies the photo is a little dark.

That is a nice looking piece of engineering

Regards Don

southace
SA, 4762 posts
31 May 2015 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Don't forget the durlac!

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
31 May 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Don't forget the duralac!

Still have half a tube - messy stuff!!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
2 Jun 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said...
jgb1787 said..

That is a nice looking piece of engineering

Regards Don

Fully agree Don nice work JGB all the work is in the preparation

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
2 Jun 2015 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...

No photos but I added another coat to the bowsprit early this morning and then painted out the forward cabin hull sides and refitted the cedar on the hull sides afterwards . Then started making a bed base will also fit the table under the bed in the middle of the forward cabin door so it can slide out when in used and retracted when not being used and under there Ill make some long draws for storage . Ill use all the walk in recess in the forward cabin for draws and table storage .

The forward cabin recess is 1200 deep and the table length is 1200 so it will slide in there nicely

Tables that slide away under beds very ingenious Hg

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jun 2015 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Shes a small boat Andy . I'm also hoping I can utilize that same table in the cockpit

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
2 Jun 2015 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

HG02 said...

Tables that slide away under beds very ingenious Hg

Hi HG

Any progress on the mast step issue on her

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jun 2015 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

its still on the list buys that one is getting closer Donk

The main problem I'm procrastinating is I'm not sure yet or its not clear in my mind what Im doing about it just yet.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
2 Jun 2015 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Shes a small boat Andy . I'm also hoping I can utilize that same table in the cockpit

Any chance you can use it to convert the cockpit to an outdoor bed? You'd have to be very lucky with the size.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jun 2015 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
HG02 said..

Any chance you can use it to convert the cockpit to an outdoor bed? You'd have to be very lucky with the size.

Its very light weight I to be honest which I like to light to lay on Id just drag out the settee cushions to sleep in the cockpit

southace
SA, 4762 posts
2 Jun 2015 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

You could do your ironing on it HO2!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jun 2015 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
You could do your ironing on it HO2!

Have not ironed for years South Ace

southace
SA, 4762 posts
2 Jun 2015 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Well you best learn unless your taking your sandwitch maker with you upon your retirement!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin