Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
2 Nov 2015 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

Before I install my new genoa track and cars I thought I should repair the side deck.

On a plus side the dremel and a vacuum cleaner with a funnel attached kept the fibreglass dust to a minimum

Ramona
NSW, 7571 posts
2 Nov 2015 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

End grain Balsa, who ever thought that was a good idea. Obviously never read about the Kon-tiki voyage!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Nov 2015 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Bought the right rear gear box seal and fitted it
Fitted the PSS seal kit after aligning the engine gear box needed to raise the back engine mount by 4 shims.
Fitted up the gear box level after finishing off the PSS seal kit . Then fitted the engine exhaust hose. Ill replace the hose clamps with good ones later
Tomorrow its the gear box and throttle cable and Ill pull the instrument panel and bring it home to marry it to the DV 24.
The bearing behind the water pump inside the engine house ( hand crank housing) appears a bit suspect so Ill replace it then refit the water pump

happy but could do with a physio tonight

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
2 Nov 2015 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

HG02 said..
I thought it was good value to Andy that's why I mentioned it.
.He looks like he is kept busy with a many speed boats . But said when I dropped it off 'Ive a few others to do so Ill batch them was his quote . rang me a week later saying it was ready to pick up happy as .
Early start on the boat tomorrow. I thought all the oil leak out of the gear box was coming out of the old dip stick tube but there's a weep out of the rear gear box seal so I picked one up at the local bearing shop for $5 to suit the BW6 gear box 32 x 45 x 7 is the seal size

Dam seal is 30 x 40 x 7 not the above. So now I have to wait till Monday to refit it . I pulled the motor out and fitted the prop shaft and a drilled out engine mount bolt I snapped the head off last week . There sure not Cat bolts And slide her back in place . So tomorrow I align the coupling to the prop shaft and shim the engine mounts as required. Then on Monday after buying the right seal remove the gear box side part of the coupling and fit the gear box seal housing and assemble every thing. Then fit the started and alternator back on the engine and sort out the engine loom.
My spare time will be focused on the old boot strip removal one side to go . and then prep for two pack on the top sides

Hi HG

Your not tempted to throw a set of gearbox bearings in it while it is out and accessible ?

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Nov 2015 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Later on Ill pull the motor and give it a minor over haul either next winter of the following .
I might come a cross a BW 7 gear box some time The BW 6 works fine
Ive a long list of jobs right now Donk I don't want any more I'm my own worst enemy

Lexmark
VIC, 218 posts
2 Nov 2015 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cisco
A big "Thanks' for you help

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
2 Nov 2015 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Before I install my new genoa track and cars I thought I should repair the side deck.

On a plus side the dremel and a vacuum cleaner with a funnel attached kept the fibreglass dust to a minimum

Your a brave man Andy, give me gelcoat blisters any day. Sometimes I think that its a pity that fiberglass boats don't just dissolve into a soup after 30 years.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Nov 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

I second that statement jolene
And good luck with that job andy
That would belike doing my port lights again
Wondering what you will use as a medium Andy?Foam?
It will be better that new when your done
You do good work

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
2 Nov 2015 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lexmark said..

Hey Cisco
A big "Thanks' for you help

Any time mate. It is one of the things we do without ask.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
3 Nov 2015 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

ha ha thanks Jolene and HG, and your right Ramona end grain balsa for a deck is asking for trouble.
I've glued a piece of solid timber under the track and foam for the rest, tomorrow I will sand it then will vacuum bag the underneath layer of glass to make a sandwich.
Funny thing was that there was a solid piece of timber for the track, but the track was bolted through the end grain 1 inch away.

dialdan
QLD, 79 posts
4 Nov 2015 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Andy
How come you tackled it from underneath? Glassing upside down isn't a lot of fun or were you trying to save the non skid?
Al

southace
SA, 4773 posts
4 Nov 2015 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Today I replaced the 3 x 200amp battery's with 6 x 120 hour AGM
a big expensive job I have been trying to avoid!
when I was away on my last sailing adventure the 200amp hour battery's where actually discharging 4 amps even with the power off!

Now I have 720 amps in the bow and 200 amps in the stern!
big problem is I have to run all my negative wires Down to the stern bank to connect to the bus bar if I want to see the charge going into the forward bank! Scratch head!

also just ordered these solar panels ......looks like a good price.!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290903477344

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
4 Nov 2015 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

southace said..
when I was away on my last sailing adventure the 200amp hour battery's where actually discharging 4 amps even with the power off!

big problem is I have to run all my negative wires Down to the stern bank to connect to the bus bar if I want to see the charge going into the forward bank! Scratch head!

Where you fitting your panels a South Ace?

southace
SA, 4773 posts
4 Nov 2015 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..

southace said..

Where you fitting your panels a South Ace?

On the davits fore & aft length ways

ChopesBro
351 posts
5 Nov 2015 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Got crane quotes too put her up on the hard.

That shocked my head and i went for a beer

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
5 Nov 2015 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Funny thing was that there was a solid piece of timber for the track, but the track was bolted through the end grain 1 inch away.

That's probably typical of the things you may find in an Australian built S&S 34

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2530 posts
7 Nov 2015 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Just got the latest update from Structures, Fusion has successfully been loaded and starts her final journey. only 51 sleeps to go!

[URL= .html]
[URL=.html] [/URL]

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
7 Nov 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like some one is getting a new Pogo for Christmas.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2530 posts
7 Nov 2015 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

"Dearest, does my bum look big in this?"

Windjana
WA, 396 posts
7 Nov 2015 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Shaggy!
So you get her just after Christmas hey? I hope they put some tinsel and baubles on it for you!
What is her draft with the keel in the up position mate?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2530 posts
7 Nov 2015 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi NaZ,
I am doing lots of positive visualisation, having nice happy thoughts about how wonderful it is that Customs clear the boat quickly :)
1.2mtrs draft with the keel up, 3m down.

Oh! I almost forgot, Cisco was right, you can sail it with the keel up. Antoine was saying they mandate it down for safety, but he grinned and said downwind it could be good. The negative with having the keel up and sailing is it will eventually wear the bushing that houses the keel pin, as the heavy end of the keel is being held up under the rear of the hull.

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
7 Nov 2015 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

....and now for something slightly different than Shaggy's sparkling clean mean machine.......
I have been getting ready for launch day, cleaning the bilge after work during the week. I messed up an oil change earlier this year when a hose
from the vac pump was split and pumping oil into the bilge instead of the bucket :( I scraped a load of sludge out and cleaned up with sawdust>

Dirty Bilge after scrape:
[URL=.html] [/URL]

....add sawdust.
[URL=.html] [/URL]

Clean bilge
[URL=.html] [/URL]
...will give the bilge a wash out with detergent before launch

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
7 Nov 2015 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
Hi NaZ,
I am doing lots of positive visualisation, having nice happy thoughts about how wonderful it is that Customs clear the boat quickly :)
1.2mtrs draft with the keel up, 3m down.

Oh! I almost forgot, Cisco was right, you can sail it with the keel up. Antoine was saying they mandate it down for safety, but he grinned and said downwind it could be good. The negative with having the keel up and sailing is it will eventually wear the bushing that houses the keel pin, as the heavy end of the keel is being held up under the rear of the hull.

Hi Shaggy, I have bought two boats in, one to Brisbane and one to Port Kembler. Both boats cleared customs with in hours of unloading and on trucks the same day. Good luck.

Toph
WA, 1832 posts
7 Nov 2015 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

southace said...
I'm in the proceess of re-wiring my Tub now.
Spent 6 hours yesterday trying to find a naughty earth that's curupting my battery monitor But to no avail.
so now I will be splitting my banks completely with this new VSR cluster Hope that solves the problems!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121807081307

Southace, an emergency parallel switch has got me out of trouble on more then one occasion.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Nov 2015 2:44AM
Thumbs Up

I checked out the water pump sprocket bearing a needle roller its in good shape
But decided to replace the aging drive chain to much stretch for my liking . I replaced the water pump with a DV 24 pump I had already bought months ago which was fitted to the DV 20. I cleaned up the gasket surfaces during the week and bead blasted the outer cover and repaint it ready to refit. I think Ill run the Bosch 90 amp alternator instead of the original Bukh DV 24 Valeo 50 amp.
Not much happened today had to work

I did fit a prop shaft anode last week

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
8 Nov 2015 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

HG. My Santana has a 'P' bracket between the keel and prop. Is there any advantage other
than having more space to fit an anode??.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Nov 2015 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

HG. My Santana has a 'P' bracket between the keel and prop. Is there any advantage other

Mine was extended just for the anode Sam you could fit a an anode in front of the P bracket Id say but others would know more than me. on bolted on keels with P brackets
Just there to help stop pimples on my prop it already has a bad case of acme but she still does 6 to 6.5 knots so what the hell the prop stays only shes getting some prop speed before its fitted back on

Loom finished at the instrument end Ill fit another 12 pin socket and plug once its ran in position on the boat and wire it into the Bukh DV 24.
Ive yet to cover the loom and seal up the back instrument panel

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
9 Nov 2015 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha Jolene too true.

Select to expand quote
dialdan said..
Hi Andy
How come you tackled it from underneath? Glassing upside down isn't a lot of fun or were you trying to save the non skid?
Al

Hi Dialdan it was a toss up wich way to go. To do it properly for the top would probably mean taking the toerail off and then still bonding the cabin top to the new deck. I could have left the toerail on and cut the midlle of the deck out, but I still would have had to done a lot of work from underneath. In the end I thought this would be the easiest and strongest method.

A bit more sanding then it will be ready for glassing

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
9 Nov 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

samsturdy said..

Mine was extended just for the anode Sam you could fit a an anode in front of the P bracket Id say but others would know more than me. on bolted on keels with P brackets
Just there to help stop pimples on my prop it already has a bad case of acme but she still does 6 to 6.5 knots so what the hell the prop stays only shes getting some prop speed before its fitted back on

Loom finished at the instrument end Ill fit another 12 pin socket and plug once its ran in position on the boat and wire it into the Bukh DV 24.
Ive yet to cover the loom and seal up the back instrument panel

Checking the chain that drives the water pump never even entered my consciousness until now!!!!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
9 Nov 2015 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Shaggybaxter said..
Just got the latest update from Structures, Fusion has successfully been loaded and starts her final journey. only 51 sleeps to go!

[URL= .html]
[URL= .html]

How awesome Shaggy!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin