Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Nov 2015 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

I'm going to attach some spectra lines with jam cleats so I can lock it down in non fair weather. It survived 20 knots the other day as I installed them. The temporary lines strengthen the rig well.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Nov 2015 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

looking great Guitz !!! well done !!!

Absolutely Guitz shes pretty as a picture I bet your happy with what you have accomplished

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
16 Nov 2015 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Guitz. She looks a treat.

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
16 Nov 2015 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks fellas, yes happy with what I got done, but as it often goes I thought i would get a lot more done than I did. Each job took about twice as long as i thought it would. I still need to build a new forward hatch and some work on the deck. The mast is off till those jobs are done then it will be on to renewing the standing rigging.
She is sitting a bit high in the water because the trimming ballast isn't in yet. So all these to be done before christmas except the rigging and i might even sneek off the mooring for an odd trip to see if i can catch a few snapper. While the mast is off I also want to take a trip to Docklands and sneek up the yarra sipping a beer to show off to the land locked

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
16 Nov 2015 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

looks great Guitz

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
16 Nov 2015 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
My Christmas present has arrived!
The only carbon on my Icon so sexy blades!

T

Merry christmas Southace

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Nov 2015 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

My hatch arrived today really happy with it for $300

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
17 Nov 2015 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Nice and shiny HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Nov 2015 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Nice and shiny HG

matches my port light slightly shel get sea stain eventually
The photos actually a selfie

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
17 Nov 2015 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

hey Hg ................. question , can you give me all the reasons why you chose the windlass that you did please ?

i,m interested because i need to install somthing as well sometime when funds allow .

PS.... the forward hatch is nice !

southace
SA, 4776 posts
17 Nov 2015 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

andy59 said..
Nice and shiny HG

matches my port light slightly shel get sea stain eventually
The photos actually a selfie

I hope you fit it opening forward towards the bow.....nothing likke having hatches open catching the breeze.....I even have fly screens that clip in ....!is that a option with that one Ho2?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Nov 2015 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

I ended up with a Horizontal and started with a vertical . I swapped my vertical for the horizontal because it drops the anchor chain exactly where I want it to
That's one reason
The next reason I felt the 600 watt Atlantic was on the low side where as the Cougar is 1000 watt motor the other yacht is 26 foot so the 600 watt suits it perfectly
That's Reason two
The Atlantic under deck in my boat needed to be to far aft into the forward cabin because of the bow spit
and intruded to much that's what I felt and I would have had to work out a way so the anchor chain would drop into the bow further forward from where it would have it might have been possible but would it work every time.
I have no idea of what design boat you have Sands mine has a bow spit so take that into account and then add a vertical winch means it further aft.
Where as the horizontal all or part of it will be mounted on the bow spit.

Using the horizontal in my boat means I can drain the anchor chain lock at the bow where as the vertical it was giving me grief to be able to achieve this
That's reason three
Both of these winches have never been fitted new second hand
If you could fit either winch the vertical winch offers more chain around the capstan

The original anchor locker has been remove SSands in my walker and I felt difficult to fit and use a winch with and not have to handle the anchor chain.
Plus the intrusion into the forward cabin Where as I can now use the bow to drop my anchor chain

I can set up a hull through drain for the chain
where before you can see the anchor locker to me took up to much room in the forward cabin
Ive no regrets Sands it will work fine for my purposes and it keep me tinkering

It will cost me half of a new anchor winch much the same for the sailor I swapped with bit of mucking around but save lots of boat dollars

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
17 Nov 2015 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Cut, cut, cut, polish, polish, polish.

Gotta love that Gori Prop! An amazing bit of engineering with the overdrive function.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
17 Nov 2015 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

HI FreeRadical,
Nice! I looove Gori props, I could spend hours just staring at them. Engineering excellence personified........

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Nov 2015 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

Free Radical shes looking great

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
18 Nov 2015 5:05AM
Thumbs Up

Free Radical love those maroon topsides looks a treat

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
18 Nov 2015 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

thanks HG , great info . have a good one .....

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
18 Nov 2015 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Great looking boat
well done
are you there at willie?
trip to dock lands and lunch/coffee as seatrial?

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Nov 2015 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Followed Cisco's method and gave the bukh a killrust birthday and all new hoses while the head was off.

Ramona
NSW, 7583 posts
23 Nov 2015 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Followed Cisco's method and gave the bukh a killrust birthday and all new hoses while the head was off.

Love the engine access on a Mk1 SS34. Hate the thought of plastic hoses.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Nov 2015 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Ramona Yeah the engine access is great isn't it. I just replaced what was there, thinking it lasted 38 years, it should be OK. But now you've got me thinking I should have replaced it with heater hose

It was the exhaust hose that was the worst. All the damaged/worn area was under the battery box and the fuel tank. I had no idea it was in such bad shape! Could have been a disaster if the cabin filled up with CO2.
ut

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Nov 2015 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

you done your sea cocks Andy?
Andy you could have put it in gear and hand crank it out of the marine on the weekend

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
23 Nov 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Hey Ramona Yeah the engine access is great isn't it. I just replaced what was there, thinking it lasted 38 years, it should be OK. But now you've got me thinking I should have replaced it with heater hose

It was the exhaust hose that was the worst. All the damaged/worn area was under the battery box and the fuel tank. I had no idea it was in such bad shape! Could have been a disaster if the cabin filled up with CO2.

That exhaust hose is a mess, It looks like it has been cooked, good that you found that one.
I replaced my engine raw water supply with the clear hose like you have. I bought some silicone blue hose but I haven't used it because like black heater hose, it cuts like butter. The pvc stuff is tough and it is only pumping cool seawater, the raw water hoses I replaced where clear pvc and where still in good condition
Black heater hose 70deg c / 50 psi
pvc clear renforced 50deg c / 232 psi
Blue silicone heater 180deg c / 200-480psi size depending

I just like the toughness/ abrasion resistance of the pvc and the lack of ability to cut the hose at the hose clamp.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
24 Nov 2015 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG your an ideas man I didnt think of hand cranking I plan to do the sea cocks next time she's out of the water, they all seem in good shape but i guess its best to replace them all. I'm thinking I should replace the through hull fittings and the ball valves all at the same time.

HI Jolene, its amazing how complicated just choosing the right hose for each particular use on the boat isn't it. I think the mistake I made is using the clear hose for the anti siphon loop because its hot exhaust water that runs through it, from the thermostat up into the antisiphon fitting and back to the exhaust elbow. I'll keep an eye on it but probably replace it with something better.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Nov 2015 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Blue silicone heater 180deg c / 200-480psi size depending does not like oil either always remember that . So if you were using it as water intake and motored through a oil slick replace it

Ramona
NSW, 7583 posts
24 Nov 2015 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Boats in survey can not use plastic hoses in the engine room. I know these boats are not in survey but the reasons for the ban still exists. That plastic reinforced clear tube goes hard in sunlight and also in engine rooms when it is exposed to bilge water diesel etc. Even new it is hard to get a good secure fit with hose clips onto skin fittings. When it goes hard and starts leaking it's impossible to tighten up. There should always be double hose clips onto skin fittings so that when they break hopefully only one breaks at at a time. With rubber hose the rubber grips the skin fitting and makes a decent seal and will stay secure even with broken hose clips. I like that red rubber hose with the black lining, I think it's even cheaper than reinforced plastic.

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
24 Nov 2015 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Mako Red Multipurpose Rubber Hose

Battle
536 posts
26 Nov 2015 4:38AM
Thumbs Up

Well it wasn't today, a few weeks ago. I'll come back here the next few months to see pics of un-frozen water.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Nov 2015 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Battle said..
Well it wasn't today, a few weeks ago. I'll come back here the next few months to see pics of un-frozen water.

Welcome aboard Battle Well I guess you can use your hockey stick over the coming months over there

CanAussie14
48 posts
26 Nov 2015 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Battle said..

Hi Battle, welcome. Where is this, one of the Great Lakes or coast...? I'm relocated from St.Catharines, Ontario to Sydney last year.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin