Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..

HG02 said..

DrRog said...
G'day ya mangey bastards!

Went down with a friend and scrubbed the 5 inch green/brown strip above the water line.

Gedda you pirate where you been
Most pirates know it's called a Boot stripe
And just how many beers had you

----------

No, not the boot stripe - the extra algae stripe above it!

I haven't been anywhere; just busy doing other ****e, living life. Wife had a brain tumour; that took out minds off the boat a bit. She's fine, btw, just pretty deaf in one ear (benign, zapped it with some radiation so hopefully it's dead ).

Sorry to hear that Dr Rog wish her well from me

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Hg, could you post a photo of your torture board please?

You would think with a name like Sands he would be wanting to use it
you can fit any git sand paper on it and you can buy rolls the same width

The one below is on lend to me

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
2 Mar 2016 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Glad to hear she's doing OK dr Rog
Here's a pic of my new tiller

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
2 Mar 2016 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

HG I forget to mention international retarder thinner#9 gives you a bit more working time on your final coat of perfection

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Mar 2016 5:46AM
Thumbs Up

The way I'm going Andy , Id say it will be around Easter for final coats. Ive a couple of sea cocks to fill this weekend and fill and fair the hull.
I might take a couple of days off when Im barrier coating the hull just keep circling the hull adding coats.
Needed a new sander went up market a little bought a Bosch shes no Festool Andy but hopefully will do the job can connect it to a vacuum hose

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Mar 2016 5:47AM
Thumbs Up

The way I'm going Andy , Id say it will be around Easter for final coats. Ive a couple of sea cocks to fill this weekend and fill and fair the hull.
I might take a couple of days off when Im barrier coating the hull just keep circling the hull adding coats.
Needed a new sander went up market a little bought a Bosch shes no Festool Andy but hopefully will do the job can connect it to a vacuum hose

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Mar 2016 5:47AM
Thumbs Up

Needed a new sander went up market a little bought a Bosch shes no Festool Andy but hopefully will do the job can connect it to a vacuum hose.
They are also variable speed

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Mar 2016 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
HG I forget to mention international retarder thinner#9 gives you a bit more working time on your final coat of perfection

Needed a new sander went up market a little bought a Bosch shes no Festool Andy but hopefully will do the job can connect it to a vacuum hose.
They are also variable speed

BlueMoon
865 posts
3 Mar 2016 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG, have you dished & flared out those holes with those old thru-hull holes you are going to glass up? I cant remember the ratio (12:1 comes to mind??) but the ground out area seems surprisingly big for a little hole with the correct ratio, just looks like the grinded area in your photo didn't look wide enough? I feel like im telling Pat Rafter how to play tennis here now .
You wont have any problems with that Bosch Blue tool.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
3 Mar 2016 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one HG that's a great sander

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Mar 2016 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BlueMoon said...
Hi HG, have you dished & flared out those holes with those old thru-hull holes you are going to glass up? I cant remember the ratio (12:1 comes to mind??) but the ground out area seems surprisingly big for a little hole with the correct ratio, just looks like the grinded area in your photo didn't look wide enough? I feel like im telling Pat Rafter how to play tennis here now .
You wont have any problems with that Bosch Blue tool.

Your right Bluemoon the hull glass is really thick and heavily laid there
I guess I've been walking around it and avoiding it a little

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
3 Mar 2016 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys

just to let you know I do appreciate your posting of pics and advice for Aria's repainting project. Just haven't been able to get onto SB for a few days....life is hectic. Will read and digest when the merry-go-round stops .

Read quickly about Mrs Dr Rog.....so glad she's okay....hugs to both of you .

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Mar 2016 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Hi guys

just to let you know I do appreciate your posting of pics and advice for Aria's repainting project. Just haven't been able to get onto SB for a few days....life is hectic. Will read and digest when the merry-go-round stops .

You Gals are supposed to be able to multi task

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
3 Mar 2016 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all
I have recently joined the site( and viewed this thread in particular) and been admiring of the resourcefulness, skill and doggedness of the many past and present posters, especially in relation to technical issues related to the repair of Fibreglass hulled vessels. I recently acquired a 30+ yr old one myself, thankfully in excellent condition, and for most of you probably not of particular interest since it is a trailer sailer, and therefore not subject to many of the problems associated with keelboats, like scraping of the hull and repair of same before choosing an appropriate gel-coat repairer, anti-foul etc.
It just had me thinking why aluminium has not been used to a greater extent in sailboats in the range of, say, 25ft to 50ft. There are some in this range, and there are many more in much larger yachts. It is amazing to see just how many large to 'super yacht' size aluminium yachts are made in NZ. For those unaware just google 'super yachts made in NZ' and just be prepared to be astounded by the yachts they make in this segment of the market (multi-millions); and ask 'Why is this not being done in Oz???'…we've got the bauxite, we make the aluminium, we've got the designers and welders…why,why,why?.
The above is just dream stuff but also an appreciation of wonderful design, you don't have to want to own an old time clipper ship but we can all appreciate their beauty. Once again when will we see more aluminium yachts 25ft to 50ft?
Maybe I should have put this in a different thread, headed 'salute to Harrison Ford's Mosquito Coast'
You guys judge, I'm a newcomer, put me in my place if you like, though I'm not as thick-skinned as some anti-fouls.
Cheers

Agent nods
622 posts
3 Mar 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

GK,

look up Incat in Tas they use aluminium.

http://www.incat.com.au/domino/incat/incatweb.nsf/v-title/Incat%20Home?OpenDocument

Probably the Largest catamaran builder in the world....and Tas is where most of Australia's Alum production is.

As for yachts....they have some great advantages, light weight strong etc.... but can have serious drawbacks with electrolysis, anchor chains if not well insulated can destroy the bow in a short time, steel fittings and even a stray screw dropped in the bilge...... dodgy marinas with stray current can destroy them very quickly. Remember Aluminium is a very reactive metal.

It does seem workboats...ie fishing boats which need speed - ie cray boats, and big pleasure craft use Alum..as they have a constant crew, that can monitor the boat. A small scratch from a neighbours docking incident if down to bare metal in the wrong conditions can eat through the hull in a short time.

cruising yachts can sit in marinas for many months between use....even with the best intentions. If there is a electrolysis incident it can cause a lot of damage in a short time. Fiberglass much slower...and even steel is much slower and much easier to fix.

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
4 Mar 2016 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

My first commercial fishing vessel was a Star I had built in WA. My only regret was not leaving it bare aluminium. Looking after it was not a problem and it was just a matter of selecting the right antifoul etc. The problem was most of the other vessels were not aluminium and even being parked alongside one of these vessels for a short time was enough to create problems.

Now that I can weld aluminium I would have no hesitation in building a small vessel, but it would not make sense when there are all these excellent small fibreglass yachts and trailer sailers out there at give away prices.

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
4 Mar 2016 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Nods and Ramona
I did know of Incat and also Austal in WA and associated them with the v v large wave-piercing Cats. Thanks for the info regarding the not inconsiderable problems with an aluminium hull, I didn't even think of the anchor chain as a potential source of electrolysis…just thought the zinc sacrificial anodes would take care of everything.
Cheers

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
4 Mar 2016 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nods said..

cruising yachts can sit in marinas for many months between use....even with the best intentions. If there is a electrolysis incident it can cause a lot of damage in a short time. Fiberglass much slower...and even steel is much slower and much easier to fix.

I have to disagree. I had a 42 ft aluminium Peterson for 5 years. It was in marinas, at anchor and tied to the pile berths in Cairns and never had a problem with electrolysis or paint blowing off.

It had a bolted on lead fin keel with stainless bolts and it had the correct amount of anode protection.

If I was going to have a yacht built, it would be in alloy. A fantastic yacht building medium.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
4 Mar 2016 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

theselkie said..
Hi guys

found this on the net thought id put it up for you Selkie

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/folkboat-26/178296

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
5 Mar 2016 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

More sanding and prepped the epoxy areas for tomorrow

Harb
WA, 226 posts
6 Mar 2016 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said...

Harb.....I have a plastic boat that I want to use International Perfection on. Do I need an undercoat ? or can I paint straight on to
the existing surface. If you used an undercoat can you tell me what it was. Thanks.

Unless your existing paint is perfect already you should use the undercoat to hide any dark spots and patches, I'd use at least 2 coats of Perfection undercoat and 2 coats of Perfection top coat .
I removed the gelcoat and replaced it with epoxy and fibreglass cloth so I had to use a primer. I used Northane Shipshape (high build epoxy primer-undercoat) to fill in any pinholes in the glass and put down 3 coats of it. Could have used the polyurethane directly on top of the epoxy paint but I already put so much work in sanding and glassing the boat that a couple of extra days painting the undercoat was nothing. I originally intended to use 3 coats of International undercoat but after the first coat already looked ok so I only used 2 coats of undercoat and 3 of top coat (2 white top coats, 1 grey gloss, Intergrip and 1 grey matt on top for the non-skid areas) Sand with 240grit between coats and save your good paintbrush for tipping the last coat.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Mar 2016 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harb said..

samsturdy said...

Harb.....I have a plastic boat that I want to use International Perfection on. Do I need an undercoat ? or can I paint straight on to
the existing surface. If you used an undercoat can you tell me what it was. Thanks.

Unless your existing paint is perfect already you should use the undercoat to hide any dark spots and patches, I'd use at least 2 coats of Perfection undercoat and 2 coats of Perfection top coat .
I removed the gelcoat and replaced it with epoxy and fibreglass cloth so I had to use a primer. I used Northane Shipshape (high build epoxy primer-undercoat) to fill in any pinholes in the glass and put down 3 coats of it. Could have used the polyurethane directly on top of the epoxy paint but I already put so much work in sanding and glassing the boat that a couple of extra days painting the undercoat was nothing. I originally intended to use 3 coats of International undercoat but after the first coat already looked ok so I only used 2 coats of undercoat and 3 of top coat (2 white top coats, 1 grey gloss, Intergrip and 1 grey matt on top for the non-skid areas) Sand with 240grit between coats and save your good paintbrush for tipping the last coat.

Ill take that on board as well Harb.
I was going to try to roll on the first few coats of Barrier coat next weekend. But Ill just keep sanding and filling till the weekend after.
Filled in the old forward sea cocks, Temp was around 21 C when I was mixing the epoxy and all of a sudden the sun came out and the temp went up reasonably quickly after doing the sea cocks my plan was to mix in some glue filler with the residue and chase down a few spider cracks, chips here and there just finished before it started going off.
Came home for a while to do other things and went back and did a rough sand off for next weekend. Was thinking of ding a R.D.O on Friday and roll some barrier coat on but Ive decided to spend one more weekend fairing it off.
And organize a few extra days off the weekend after and take more time to roll some Barrier coat and perhaps some primer and see what it needs after that

ChopesBro
350 posts
6 Mar 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

We have access too electrical power atm

Partner has clocked up a nine hour day sewing.
( power goes in two days...we leave port)

Bed curtains are amazing ....now shes working on other stuff.

Unless you could see and understand. ..you will never appreciate.

Im in awe.

If it was just me....it would be just a boat.

With the sewing. ...omg.....it's a home

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
7 Mar 2016 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..
We have access too electrical power atm

Partner has clocked up a nine hour day sewing.
( power goes in two days...we leave port)

Bed curtains are amazing ....now shes working on other stuff.

Unless you could see and understand. ..you will never appreciate.

Im in awe.

If it was just me....it would be just a boat.

With the sewing. ...omg.....it's a home

My Dear Lady does the same thing Chops. Isn't it great to have a partner that's rafted up and sails in the same direction.??.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
7 Mar 2016 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Filled in the old forward sea cocks, Temp was around 21 C when I was mixing the epoxy and all of a sudden the sun came out and the temp went up reasonably quickly after doing the sea cocks my plan was to mix in some glue filler with the residue and chase down a few spider cracks, chips here and there just finished before it started going off.
Came home for a while to do other things and went back and did a rough sand off for next weekend. Was thinking of ding a R.D.O on Friday and roll some barrier coat on but Ive decided to spend one more weekend fairing it off.
And organize a few extra days off the weekend after and take more time to roll some Barrier coat and perhaps some primer and see what it needs after that

Hi HGO2, I used the West System with 206 Slow Hardener for most of the job and only used 205 a few times for things I wanted to set fast, like when I had to glue something and had to hold it in place to set. Even with the 206 in winter time under 20 C I got caught a couple of times when I got greedy and mixed more then 200ml at the time. If you want to extend the time you mix small portions, could try keeping the epoxy in the fridge before mixing it or use 209 extra slow hardener. Haven't tried the 209 myself yet but will use it when setting the transducer inside the hull to reduce the chance of bubbles in the mix.
You probably know that already but I'll ask anyway, you did run a burr in the spider cracks to open them up first, right ? Also before you push the filler in the cracks it helps if yo brush it with epoxy first to make sure the crack absorbs as much epoxy then wait to become tacky before patching the cracks.
Also you want to wet sand and wash any blush residue from epoxy if you have left it to set before putting more on top and before you put the epoxy barrier coat. If you put a barrier coat and the previous one has already set you'll need to sand and wash it again so you'll save time and effort if you start early in the morning and do all 3 coats the same day while the previous coat is still soft. If you work on your own at 20-25C you'll probably have just enough time for a quick coffee between coats.
Also let the epoxy barrier coats cure for at least 2-3 days before lightly sanding, washing and putting down the epoxy primer. When you put down the first coat of epoxy primer you'll be able to just see the pinholes use a magnifying lens if you are like me. Use a scraper or similar to push the primer in the holes then check again when you do the second coat to see if you missed any pinholes. Once you are happy with the primer wait at least 2-3 days for that to cure properly before you roll any polyurethane undercoat as poly and poxy don't play well together.

Have fun !

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Mar 2016 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

My spider cracks were actually fine line impacts on the gel coat so I ground the gel coat off and mixed some epoxy glue filler and filled the void. its tough as nails sanding back . Next after a bit more sanding and cleaning Ill mix some sanding filler and fair off both those areas.
Ive had some practice on my rudder I did what you describe kept rolling on coat after coat Ive done four coats and have left the last one just before anti foul .
Ive take it on board what some one said for the first coat of anti foul use hard one so from then on I can sand back to that anti foul coat when its time to anti foul again .
I am considering rolling the complete hull with barrier coat before priming above the water line it may be a over kill

Harb
WA, 226 posts
8 Mar 2016 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

I am considering rolling the complete hull with barrier coat before priming above the water line it may be a over kill

You think that's overkill ? I rolled the the roof and seats as well then painted everything with primer, undercoat and topcoat below and above waterline. After I put it back in the water to find the new waterline I'll get it out to put another coat of epoxy paint below waterline and 3 coats of hard antifouling.
Better safe then sorry.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Mar 2016 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harb said..

HG02 said..

You think that's overkill ? I rolled the the roof and seats as well then painted everything with primer, undercoat and topcoat below and above waterline. After I put it back in the water to find the new waterline I'll get it out to put another coat of epoxy paint below waterline and 3 coats of hard antifouling.
Better safe then sorry.

Im not a paint Harb many thanks for your tips

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Mar 2016 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Moved the boat last week should be a little less dusty for painting
More sanding today and removed the last few bits off thew stern which is read to roll on a barrier coat tomorrow .
Ive a bit more filling and sanding to do on the through hulls if the weather OK tomorrow Ill get those done.

I some how think the stink boat I was penned next to last year has hit me more than once

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Mar 2016 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Forgot my phone so no photos
barrier coated the stern and the port side with a little on the starboard side. I have some torcher board sanding on the port side to do since Ive trowled on some sanding filler above the water line. which will happen next weekend.
Need to buy some more barrier coat this week.
Might even hang the rudder back on next Sunday.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin