Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Feb 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

given the tiller another coat and went to Witworths tonight and bought up on some International primer and a few cans of Kiwi Grip for the deck Ive bought two of white and two grey which I intend to mix but I'm a little apprehensive maybe I should have gone with the cream . You can tint it at your local paint shop been told
I'm thinking Mediterranean white for above the water line. Once Ive primed and fared the hull side ,Ill move the boat across to the paint pen and spray the finish coat on the hull
Ill be back down to the boat this coming weekend to finish off the anti foul sanding .

Harb
WA, 226 posts
17 Feb 2016 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
given the tiller another coat and went to Witworths tonight and bought up on some International primer and a few cans of Kiwi Grip for the deck Ive bought two of white and two grey which I intend to mix but I'm a little apprehensive maybe I should have gone with the cream . .

If you're worried about being to dark you can always mix 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 and try it on a piece of paper first so you can put it against the background when it dries out and see if you are happy with it.
I did mine with Intergrip and International Perfection and bought 1 snow white white and 1 platinum but ended up using a 2 to 1 mix which looked alright on a small patch but still to dark when all done and dried up, in hindsight I wish I went 3 to 1
Here is what the 2 to 1 ended up looking like , hopefully it will look lighter after a few months in the sun.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
20 Feb 2016 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
given the tiller another coat and went to Witworths tonight and bought up on some International primer and a few cans of Kiwi Grip for the deck Ive bought two of white and two grey which I intend to mix but I'm a little apprehensive maybe I should have gone with the cream . You can tint it at your local paint shop been told
I'm thinking Mediterranean white for above the water line. Once Ive primed and fared the hull side ,Ill move the boat across to the paint pen and spray the finish coat on the hull
Ill be back down to the boat this coming weekend to finish off the anti foul sanding .

Morning HG

What did you decide about the grey???

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Feb 2016 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

After Seeing Harbs,I'm going to fly him down here to do mine Well I wish any way

But I think Ill buy more white and go three white to one grey I'm more worried about hot under foot than any thing .
One of the reasons I went with Kiwi grip it hides imperfections as Ive removed the anchor well and filled and strengthened it.

I also bought some west system 105/207 clear which Im going to try epoxy / varnish in the teak trim which you can see in the above photo.
This teak trim is 37 years old so you can imagine its getting thin . So I'm going to try a few coats of the 207 epoxy as a base then a few coats of varnish to give it a UV protection . I'm hoping when it's time to re do it, I can sand the varnish back and leave the epoxy so the teak is not sanded and just replenish the varnish . I don't know the out come in reality but its a trail and error thing.
Last year I tried some bote coat epoxy on my rub rails which after it dried I belt sanded it down so it filled any voids it didn't look real nice before I sanded it but it ended up ok giving me a smooth surface to work with afterwards.
But I can still remember walking back to the boat the morning after cursing my stupidity I did take a photo but I think I have deleted it .

This weekend is a clean up weekend I have collected a lot of rubbish after doing projects at home here . Started this morning Ive done one load to the tip and still cleaning plus Ive boxes of stuff that needs condensing and organizing

I also have been cleaning the original anchor that came with the boat it will be changed next year but thought as I have some kill rust left over Id give it a lick or two . Ill give it another coat tomorrow Plus I dumped the old anchor chain as there's near new chain on board good that will fit my anchor gypsy which also came with the H28 when I bought her

So next weekend its back to the boat and get some prepping done on the hull I want to have it ready for a final coat with in the next 6 weeks

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Feb 2016 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

another coat
plus another on the Mizzen spreaders last pieces of the masts to be painted

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
21 Feb 2016 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Looks fantastic Harb!! Keep up the good work HG.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Feb 2016 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Might kidnap Harb's for a week or two Andy

Harb
WA, 226 posts
21 Feb 2016 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

There is nothing to it, I pick it all up from watching all the Boatworks videos on youtube, the nonslip video is here-

I removed all my gelcoat and that included the non slip sections to replace it with epoxy and cloth which left me with a smooth surface to work with so I had the choice of KiwiGrip or granules mixed in the topcoat. I went with Intergrip mixed in the International 2 pack because it should last as long as the topcoat will but if it ever needs to be done again I can sand it back to redo it or just roll some Kiwigrip on top of it with almost no prep at all.
Not sure if you can see in the pic but the finished texture looks like rough sandpaper and has the thickness and grip of that. The KiwiGrip will be much easier to apply without having to sand old nonslip back to smooth surface, just clean the area with 80 grit and some wax cleaner or metho, tape it, roll one coat and you are all done and ready for a cold beer in a couple of hours.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2515 posts
21 Feb 2016 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
After Seeing Harbs,I'm going to fly him down here to do mine Well I wish any way

But I think Ill buy more white and go three white to one grey I'm more worried about hot under foot than any thing .
One of the reasons I went with Kiwi grip it hides imperfections as Ive removed the anchor well and filled and strengthened it.

Looks great HG!
I agree with you about too much grey, a mate in Tonwnsville had what I thought was a light grey, and man, on a sunny day it was bloody hot underfoot. That'll teach me not to wear shoes!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
22 Feb 2016 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

andy59 said..

Harb and KurtH28, it would be worth kidnapping both of them

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Feb 2016 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said...
HG02 said..

andy59 said..

Harb and KurtH28, it would be worth kidnapping both of them

Yes good idea Andy I need a couple of good overseers

Might get me working

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Feb 2016 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Bit more scraping and sanding only has a few hours today to get things done both Ill be doing two days next weekend hopefully faring it down and filling
I repaired my old sander but she started smoking so its the bin for that one done a good job though

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
28 Feb 2016 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

G'day ya mangey bastards!

Went down with a friend and scrubbed the 5 inch green/brown strip above the water line.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
28 Feb 2016 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Lovely HG
What type of sander and what grade sandpaper are you using?
I'm hoping to paint the Folky this year...need all the tips I can get

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..

Went down with a friend and scrubbed the 5 inch green/brown strip above the water line.

Where's our note DR Rog
for rough work Silkie its just a Ozito orbital and as Im epoxy barrier coating the hull sides I'm using 120 grit once all the antifoul is removed and when I'm faring the hull I have a sanding file ( torcher board some call them speed files) its basically a 450mm long x 60mm wide with a handle both ends its 240 grit at the moment. The idea is it gives a flat surface where as a orbital may give you undulating if you dont keep the sander moving

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks HG.
What brand of paint are you using for your topsides?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said...
Thanks HG.

Above the water line international two pack primer after the barrier coats and mediterainian white probably do the cabin sides aswell
Non skid will be kiwi grip 3 to one
3 white to one gray cans

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
29 Feb 2016 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hg, could you post a photo of your torture board please?

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
29 Feb 2016 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

HG02 said..
Bit more scraping and sanding only has a few hours today to get things done both Ill be doing two days next weekend hopefully faring it down and filling
I repaired my old sander but she started smoking so its the bin for that one done a good job though

HG02 said..

Looking great HG pity you weren't closer you could have borrowed my sander. The best thing I found for sanding in-between coats is 3M Guide coat. It saves hours and hours helps you get a perfect finish for the next coat and most importantly stops (or minimises) you sanding through the coat you just painted. Also its worth paying the extra for international perfection

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
29 Feb 2016 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Hg, could you post a photo of your torture board please?

When your ready Selkie I'll lend you my festool sanders with dust extraction, its the only way to go. Ive got a torture board too but you probably won't need that unless you are going to fill and fair the whole boat to get maybe an extra quarter of a knot.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
29 Feb 2016 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

If you're there HG.....I did an engine service on the weekend. I drained the salt water out and poked an
inspection camera inside the block to look around. There's just the slightest salt build up after one years use.
You and I descaled our engines at the same time, I seem to recall.
I know you haven't used your engine yet but I have to say it was so worth doing it, absolutely no overheating
problems at all. I don't remember what you used to descale, but the benefits are great.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
29 Feb 2016 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

?..well, l was sailing it.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
29 Feb 2016 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harb said..

HG02 said..
given the tiller another coat and went to Witworths tonight and bought up on some International primer and a few cans of Kiwi Grip for the deck Ive bought two of white and two grey which I intend to mix but I'm a little apprehensive maybe I should have gone with the cream . .

If you're worried about being to dark you can always mix 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 and try it on a piece of paper first so you can put it against the background when it dries out and see if you are happy with it.
I did mine with Intergrip and International Perfection and bought 1 snow white white and 1 platinum but ended up using a 2 to 1 mix which looked alright on a small patch but still to dark when all done and dried up, in hindsight I wish I went 3 to 1
Here is what the 2 to 1 ended up looking like , hopefully it will look lighter after a few months in the sun.

Harb.....I have a plastic boat that I want to use International Perfection on. Do I need an undercoat ? or can I paint straight on to
the existing surface. If you used an undercoat can you tell me what it was. Thanks.

dialdan
QLD, 79 posts
29 Feb 2016 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Thanks HG.

Hi Selkie
Google, PT Watercraft , you can download an Ebook for $5.00 that will show you how to get a spray paint finish just using a roller, looks very professional,
using International Perfection.
Sorry I can't post the link well worth $5.00

Al

BlueMoon
865 posts
29 Feb 2016 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Im at the stage of doing some hull painting on the toe rail area. This video explains the process quite well (worth watching for the cute kiwi accent alone ),great tip from Andy59 about the guide coat, video also shows applying a guide coat & how to sand it(looks really quick & easy) & a way to make your own guide coat so you don't have to buy the proper stuff.

Video is using Altex but I suppose applies to other brand 2 part polyurethane paints

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said...

If you're there HG.....I did an engine service on the weekend. I drained the salt water out and poked an
inspection camera inside the block to look around. There's just the slightest salt build up after one years use.
You and I descaled our engines at the same time, I seem to recall.
I know you haven't used your engine yet but I have to say it was so worth doing it, absolutely no overheating
problems at all. I don't remember what you used to descale, but the benefits are great.

Possibly vinegar Sam

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dialdan said...
theselkie said..
Thanks HG.

Hi Selkie
Google, PT Watercraft , you can download an Ebook for $5.00 that will show you how to get a spray paint finish just using a roller, looks very professional,
using International Perfection.
Sorry I can't post the link well worth $5.00

Al

Thanks to both of you I need a little bit of guidance I don't want rush it and want a good happy ending after it's painted

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Silkie I'll take a photo it the paint cans for you ok
There's other brands but you get what you pay for a bit
Mate had a Quadrilla win so I'm getting a free feed at the local but once I'm home I'll take photo silkie
There you go

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said...

Gedda you pirate where you been
Most pirates know it's called a Boot stripe
And just how many beers had you

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
29 Feb 2016 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

DrRog said...

Gedda you pirate where you been
Most pirates know it's called a Boot stripe
And just how many beers had you

----------

No, not the boot stripe - the extra algae stripe above it!

I haven't been anywhere; just busy doing other ****e, living life. Wife had a brain tumour; that took out minds off the boat a bit. She's fine, btw, just pretty deaf in one ear (benign, zapped it with some radiation so hopefully it's dead ).

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin