Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Harb
WA, 226 posts
15 Mar 2016 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Forgot my phone so no photos
barrier coated the stern and the port side with a little on the starboard side.

You should know better, No photos = it did not happen.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Mar 2016 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harb said..

HG02 said..

Dropped out to the boat tonight to sand back the sea cocks before it went to hard
This only two coats of Barrier coat lots more to do yet
Harb
wish you were around for some advice mate ,Sands has been to busy top drop by

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

Jeez HG that's looking great!!!
Here's a pic of my new lazy jacks and boom bag.
I went with a removable sail bag and a mesh lazy jack support so it won't hold water in a big blow.

fishmonkey
NSW, 494 posts
16 Mar 2016 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
I went with a removable sail bag and a mesh lazy jack support so it won't hold water in a big blow.

that looks like a great arrangement. much less stuff flapping around while you are out and about...

Jolene
WA, 1564 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Harb said..

HG02 said..

Dropped out to the boat tonight to sand back the sea cocks before it went to hard
Harb

Coming along nicely HG,
I'm trying to paint my boat at the moment but I keep getting hounded with mid to high 30's temperatures and thunderstorms,,, almost done though.

Jolene
WA, 1564 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fishmonkey said..
andy59 said..

that looks like a great arrangement. much less stuff flapping around while you are out and about...

I agree

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
16 Mar 2016 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

It's looking great HG, well done.

Harb, I didn't thank you for the info mate. Thank you so much. Missus is a bit crook at the moment
and she's the the one doing the painting. The info was invaluable. Thanks again.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
16 Mar 2016 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Harb said..

HG02 said..

Harb

Stunning Hg, simply stunning

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
16 Mar 2016 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Such an imressive project HG - this will set a new benchmark for H28 restoration.
regards allan

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
16 Mar 2016 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

She looks really nice with a coat of paint and you must be proud of her

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi HG

She looks really nice with a coat of paint and you must be proud of her

Regards Don

Its getting there Donk and thank you all for the complements also . So far the stern and starboard side have had two coats of International epoxy barrier coats Ive three more to do yet then sand back with speed file board using 240 grit then once the all the marks are out its primer above the water line and then the final coats. Ive not done much in the way of painting so I have to do it slowly I'm afraid. But like Ive done in the past it will also have other smaller jobs as a side line so I don't get into wam bam boo mode and go like the clappers and do a bad job of it.
The reason the port side not ready is at one stage I had some left over epoxy so before it went off I applied it to the port side above the water line. In doing this Ive made a job for my self. Didn't want to waste the epoxy very very stupid to be honest as it give me a hard and soft surface to fair .
So Ive learn't a lesson here . Have a job ready to go in case you have some spare epoxy left over . What ever you do Don't do what I did .
I'mhalf way into fixing it with a speed file ( torcher board)
Will I ever recover the money Ive spent or will spend never I'm obsessed . Just as long as shes ready next year
Cisco my B.O.A.T is squared to the power of 2 at least.
Some one asked last weekend if I wanted to sell her I cant afford to sell her

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Harb said..

HG02 said..

Harb

looking great HG . believe me , you don't need my advice !!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Mar 2016 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jolene said..

fishmonkey said..

andy59 said..

I agree

The bag looks great Andy Id be interested on your comments after you have use it for a while a very nice idea
Looking forward to a photo or two Jolene when your done

Ive removed the two lower small cockpit drains and are thinking of replacing them with some modified True design through hulls
Originally they were brass threaded tubes with stainless nuts on either side and went not sealing well and looked a bit tired. So Ill see what out come on the weekend . I had to buy the through hulls with tails as one original brass tube is over 70mm long so the thread only true designs were not long enough. But I may end up with four threaded onlt and fix then inside the cockpit and the other end the same on the out side of the stern and seal them between the cockpit and hull if that make any sense
file:///C:/Users/lounge/Pictures/H28%20Images/Skin%20Fittings%20With%20Tails%20_%20TRUDESIGN.html

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
17 Mar 2016 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

That's right HG you'll never lose money on it if you don't sell her

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Mar 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
That's right HG you'll never lose money on it if you don't sell her

I tried out CH Smith for a deal on some interprotect barrier coat picked it up tonight 3 x 3 liter tins with hardener .Joe match Whities and I wanted to drop in there to check a few instruments I think they call it Instrument kicking

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Mar 2016 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

This morning small project is tapping a thread inside the larger true design hull through so the smaller hull through can screw into it.
Then remove the hose tail on both the the 11/8" larger hull through and the 3/4" hull through so they can screw together as on unit. Them measure up and reduce the 11/8 so it will replace the original cockpit drain which is below and behind.
The 11/8 will fit on the out side of the stern and the 3/4 will be fitted inside in the cock pit. This is my theory some time this morning Ill know if Ive wasted time and money

You can see the cockpit drain holes either side of the rudder tiller hole in the stern ( want for a better terminology)
The Walker H28 uses both cockpit drains to drain the last of any water out on the cockpit the tiller hole does most of itIf a wave was dumped inside.
The cockpit drain are mainly for washing out the cockpit there at floor lever

Have a great weekend every one

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Mar 2016 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Did work out as well I Id like so I will be fitting 11/4 hose tail hull through which will give me the length I need of 88mm with its hose tail end .
Flange on the stern and the hose tail glassed into the cockpit side.
Hurt my shoulder a couple of days ago so licking my wounds today. There's no way I could sand the boat today dam it .

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Mar 2016 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
Did work out as well I Id like so I will be fitting 11/4 hose tail hull through which will give me the length I need of 88mm with its hose tail end .
Flange on the stern and the hose tail glassed into the cockpit side.
Hurt my shoulder a couple of days ago so licking my wounds today. There's no way I could sand the boat today dam it .

You deserve a rest HG

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Mar 2016 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

The Fleming wind vane has arrived woohoo

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
23 Mar 2016 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Money well spent.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Mar 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Nice one Andy .

Hope you put up some fitting photos

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Mar 2016 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

I wont be fitting it for 4 weeks but will put up the pics when I do

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Mar 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

finally roll a coat of barrier coat on the port side today and then roll more on the other two sides

The weather going against me now rain on the way. I would like to roll a final coat on the stern over Easter if I can and refit the rudder. See how it goes together

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
26 Mar 2016 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

HG ,she is looking really good !!!! The H28 design is one of the very few yachts that look beautiful out of the water !! wonderful sea kindly shape !! thanks captain Nat !!!

you should receive the resto award of the decade for the job you are doing !!

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
26 Mar 2016 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

She looks fantastic Hg...bummer about the rain interrupting .

Today, I removed the old name from the transom, however, the outline of the sticker is still very visible . Like yours Hg, that's probably how it will stay until the new paint.

Sanded the companionway in prep for varnishing.

Tomorrow, need to shave a smidge more off the new bow roller roller so it actually rolls as the chain moves over it. Was too eager to just get it back in place without getting it right.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
26 Mar 2016 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Exciting Andy....how many sleeps left???

Jolene
WA, 1564 posts
26 Mar 2016 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

you should receive the resto award of the decade for the job you are doing !!

Your not wrong SandS, it gonna be just like a bought one but I don't know where you will ever buy one like it
Thanks for posting your Pictures HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Mar 2016 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
She looks fantastic Hg...bummer about the rain interrupting .

Today, I removed the old name from the transom, however, the outline of the sticker is still very visible . Like yours Hg, that's probably how it will stay until the new paint.

Sanded the companionway in prep for varnishing.

Tomorrow, need to shave a smidge more off the new bow roller roller so it actually rolls as the chain moves over it. Was too eager to just get it back in place without getting it right.

Get your self a orbital and some 320 girt and see how you go just lightly and slowly and some polish
Selkie
I do it all the time it's called forwards backwards land matie

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Mar 2016 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

andy59 said..

Exciting Andy....how many sleeps left???

I was looking at his Land drover today Andy he lives not far from Yaringa ( Fleming engineering ) Nice bloke and excellent tradesman Ive heard

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Mar 2016 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Rolled another coat today. Takes around one can of 3 liters plus the harder to do it.
Hope to have a R.D.O on next Friday to roll some primer on the stern above the water line . Once that's fared off roll some final coat on and refit the rudder.
Hopefully the rudder will be hanging of the hull next Sunday.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin