Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
benateau281
WA, 39 posts
6 Dec 2016 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Installing an out door kitchen on the verandah

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Dec 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benateau281 said...
Installing an out door kitchen on the verandah

Nice one Benny

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Dec 2016 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Filled the hole in ill drill a new one tomorrow
Russ rhe Rigger is dropping my mast off this weekend
So I'll be busy during next week finishing it off

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Dec 2016 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus005 said..
Pintado has been on the slip for 2 days so we had to work like sunnies cleaning off the growth with scrapers and soft brooms so as not to damage the copper coat anti fowl not even water blasting allowed the scum came off ok but i have learned the boat had not been out of the water for 4 years bit of shell as well new shaft anode and new anode for the auto stream stainless prop

aus005 said..
Pintado has been on the slip for 2 days so we had to work like sunnies cleaning off the growth with scrapers and soft brooms so as not to damage the copper coat anti fowl not even water blasting allowed the scum came off ok but i have learned the boat had not been out of the water for 4 years bit of shell as well new shaft anode and new anode for the auto stream stainless prop

Polish my prop any time

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
7 Dec 2016 6:24AM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the spin hg
yes polish it by hand

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
7 Dec 2016 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

aus005, What are you using as the boom brake?

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
7 Dec 2016 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

It is an old style rock climbing descender. You can buy figure of 8 descender in rock climbing stores.

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
7 Dec 2016 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Repaint gunwale capping and a stainless stanchion clean, remove mould from ceiling and surfaces, install new cabin fan, new mooring lines in readiness for a cyclone, usual maintenance of deck and sew up the Bimini cover.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
7 Dec 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

whiteout said..
It is an old style rock climbing descender. You can buy figure of 8 descender in rock climbing stores.

That is what I use, this one looks a bit like the expensive Witchard.

www.yachtingworld.com/yachts-and-gear/tested-boom-brakes-and-preventers-65517

Might have to make one in SS and give it a go.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
7 Dec 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

hi guys yes rock climbing descender works great

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Dec 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
whiteout said..
Repaint gunwale capping and a stainless stanchion clean, remove mould from ceiling and surfaces, install new cabin fan, new mooring lines in readiness for a cyclone, usual maintenance of deck and sew up the Bimini cover.

looking very nice Whiteout

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
8 Dec 2016 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

It was actually yesterday. First day at sea after coming off the slips on Saturday. Glorious day at sea and the boat felt slippery fast! I scrub her down and keep her clean that way but it's not the same as fresh paint! Sailed out to the banks, caught a couple of feeds and back in record time. Now I have to go and cook dinner, the down side to a day at sea in this household.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
8 Dec 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

That's a great looking cruiser whiteout. Love the davits forward opening hatches if you got any interior layout pics?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Dec 2016 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabird said..
HG you know International do not recommend applying antifoul directly to the epoxy barrier coat once it has dried.

The only system International endorse is to apply a fresh coat of epoxy and once it has 'tacked off' apply the first coat of antifoul. Depending on conditions it might be a two man operation to ensure you don't miss the 'tack window'

You're Right I have a can of barrier coat waiting ,I need to give under the water line a sand and roll on the barrier coat and then the anti foul before the barrier coat drys.
I want to sort out the middle rudder pintle first,it's worn and has to much clearance so I want to take the slack out of the pintle before I anti foul. and button it up also the bob stay tang needs to be refitted but I want to borrow Phils polishing buff if I can before I refit it this week end. Hopefully I won't have to work next weekend . Hope my mast returns this weekend and I can finish it off during the week after work.
Once that's done its when the rigger has the time Id say in January as its getting to close to Xmas now

RiffRaff
WA, 265 posts
8 Dec 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Ordered a new spinnaker from Loong sails. Arrived today.
I know we should try to use local sail makers but price was 2 times what i could afford.
Symmetrical spinnaker and sock.
Quality looks good but i haven't had it up yet.

MEGAMAX
WA, 83 posts
9 Dec 2016 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..

MEGAMAX said..
I recently bought a 1937 gaff cutter, so lots to do.

She is on the hard and is getting new decks, chain plates externally, a number of timbers sistered and some caulking. oh and a paint. I will show some of this shortly!

its pretty strong looking but I thought those sorts of lifts were a no no for timber hulls. far better to have a traditional cradle.

Hi,

I tend to agree but unfortunately its the only way to get her out. Imagine my angst when they said they were going to use the forklift! Not my boat you don't! It was then explained that it was a fork, with slings......

The way it is slung there is little pressure on the sides so not too bad. I was more worried abut the time out of the water as it was getting warm and the boat would start to dry out. 10 days drifted into 20. Some work scope growth, some non availability of hands.

All good though, a small amount of weeping that is now closed up.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Dec 2016 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Refitted the Bob stay tang Clean it up tomorrow and see how the bob stay looks

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
9 Dec 2016 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Interior shots of the boat

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Dec 2016 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Bob Stay now has clearance happy chappy

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Dec 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you very much Russ from South East Yacht service's
I can now finish off the mast

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
10 Dec 2016 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Dripping Volvo valve
instead of dripping into bilge,bright spark here raised it ,hoping head would stop it dripping
it didnt!
New plan:
buy Vetus skin fitting and connect without diaphragm to stern,so can see stream,and no more fiddling with leaki valve
ihope
any experience with this?
anything I have overlooked?.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
11 Dec 2016 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday... I dislike Christmas but I live Christmas lights.. so I had great fun putting these up with the cat Milly trying to play with them while I was untangling them.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Dec 2016 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scaramouche said..

Dripping Volvo valve
instead of dripping into bilge,bright spark here raised it ,hoping head would stop it dripping
it didnt!
New plan:
buy Vetus skin fitting and connect without diaphragm to stern,so can see stream,and no more fiddling with leaki valve
ihope
any experience with this?
anything I have overlooked?.

David I am assuming you mean your Anti-Siphon valve on your engine cooling circuit
I'm not sure what inside those never pulled one apart Vetus make one

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
11 Dec 2016 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Bob Stay now has clearance happy chappy

I notice that is a bob stay "rod" not a wire HG.

If you do not know the age of I highly recommend you replace it with a wire stay. Rod rigging has a habit of letting go without warning.

RiffRaff
WA, 265 posts
11 Dec 2016 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Installed a new spinnaker halyard on Rea.
Flew the new spinnaker in 12 knots, very happy cruising at 7+ knts SOG

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
11 Dec 2016 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Nice pic RiifRaff!
You near Freo? Seb Josse from the VG has docked at Fremantle, could you try your new spinnaker halyard and get us a pic or two?

RiffRaff
WA, 265 posts
11 Dec 2016 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Bit busy today. Might take a trip up in the week and have a look.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Dec 2016 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Trying this today it's a two part system

Weather could have been better

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Dec 2016 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Ive leant a few things so far applying this concoction ,. The primer is better rubbed in rather than a brushed. but that's fine
I've added one coat of gloss which now needs around 24 hours to cure . before the next coat and the same again
Hope I get a xmas break so I can do the bow spit and toe rail teak the rub rail will stay with sikkens light oak. its far to weathered for this stuff
This stuff needs to be done till it finished so a week would be good But Ill continue with the cockpit combing weather permitting. Id prefer not to but if the weather fails tomorrow after work Ill leave it and give it a light sand with 400 grit next weekend and continue

southace
SA, 4776 posts
11 Dec 2016 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

After cut n polish n waxing someone's 56 Riv I finally got the chance to add my ronston rope bags! I hate Velcro stick on....I will screw theM tomorrow once I have them and myself strait!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin