Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
24 Dec 2016 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Did my cockpit table with some "Glass Finish"

I was in a hurry to get it back on the boat for xmas & rubbed back the varnish too early & stuffed it up. have to do heaps more sanding after xmas now!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Dec 2016 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

I'll drop by some time Lazza and you can do mine
where can you buy those bad boys spikes from Lazza?
found some on ebay

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
25 Dec 2016 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful day in Jervis Bay

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Dec 2016 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
26 Dec 2016 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

thanks HG!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2519 posts
27 Dec 2016 4:56AM
Thumbs Up

Righto, time for your bath...

nickic
NSW, 58 posts
27 Dec 2016 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Previous owners ripped out the wiring in the mast when replacing the halyards. After a failed attempt a few months ago we finally got the new stuff run up there and he wired up the existing masthead light which he says looks in ok condition and the bulb is not blown. Fingers crossed as we forgot to take out the multimeter to test it. Couldn't finish the job as has to take the ankle biters on board with us and they have little patience for such times. Also got down the jib halyard block while he was up there. Now been replaced after a trip to Whitworths. So hopefully come Thursday it will be last trip up the mast for a while and our little boat will be fully functional again. Think its been a long time since it was yhst, long before we owned it anyway.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Dec 2016 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

I very been contemplating this steering option before I started
As I was not overjoyed how the pedestal sectioned off the cockpit into two parts
I went back to my original idea before some said it would be better how I had it
But I wasn't happy so I've set it up to give me full cockpit area and I'm happy how it's turned out
I'll fit a stern rail seat so I can still sit behind it if I want

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
30 Dec 2016 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Geez HG that really is a dilemma. As it sits now you will find it difficult to see what's in the binnacle unless you are behind it, but the engine controls are about 1.5 metres in front of the wheel! if you're sitting in front you're reaching backwards(and you may need to look back at the wheel to grab it, engine controls still not ideally placed…when all the action is going to be happening at the front)…much easier to stand behind a more centralised wheel with a clear view ahead.
Whats the problem with a 'divided' cockpit, are you intending to have lots of big parties in that cockpit?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Dec 2016 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Steady steady haha
Nothing finished till the fat sailor sings haha ??

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Dec 2016 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
As I was not overjoyed how the pedestal sectioned off the cockpit into two parts
I went back to my original idea before some said it would be better how I had it
But I wasn't happy so I've set it up to give me full cockpit area and I'm happy how it's turned out

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
30 Dec 2016 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG, it does not make for a comfortable helming position when sailing. You rarely sit behind the wheel when sailing a mono hull. You tend to stand or sit on the upwind side of the wheel (more comfortable and better visibility) neither of which you can do. With a wheel that low your back will kill you, unless your 4 foot tall. I think you will be very sorry in a very short time, so make sure you have the ability to change it later. You also need the gear shift / throttle beside you at the wheel for mooring the boat. Where you have everything would be totally unworkable.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Dec 2016 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

99 % of the time Ill run the autopilot and sit on the stern rail seat .
Im hoping to be the sheet hand see how it goes
I bought this USB fan from the local Frankston discount store $8.00 it move a modest amount of air nothing like whats in the Cat Graders but for $8 it's ok

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
30 Dec 2016 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
I bought this USB fan from the local Frankston discount store $8.00 it move a modest amount of air nothing like whats in the Cat Graders but for $8 it's ok

That's a bargain, I'll take a dozen…seriously though, there would be a massive market for this in the general sailing/4WD/RV/camper/caravanning community at that price! HG put yourself forward as their agent.

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
30 Dec 2016 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

I do not know of any small autopilot that will successfully steer a small boat 99% of the time in over 10 knots with a bit of a sea. Especially in a following sea. I have had many boats and my current boat is the first boat that can sail on autopilot in most conditions and angles to the wind, but it is 57' and has a very expensive B & G autopilot.

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
30 Dec 2016 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jode5 said..

HG02 said..

I do not know of any small autopilot that will successfully steer a small boat 99% of the time in over 10 knots with a bit of a sea. Especially in a following sea. I have had many boats and my current boat is the first boat that can sail on autopilot in most conditions and angles to the wind, but it is 57' and has a very expensive B & G autopilot.

Jode, I think HG meant 9.9% of the time, under 10 knots, with a party going on in the cockpit…I want an invite!…you can probably come too if U BYO B&G autopilot (so you don't have to find your way home…'that was my designated driver Your Honour')

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
30 Dec 2016 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

HG02 said..

its different, but I could imagine it quite comfortable sitting to windward, back hand on the wheel, feet up on the other side. Perhaps consider a tiller conversion . Certainly not for a nervous nelly type with hands on the wheel at all times fixed at 10 to 2.

Be good for reversing if the throttle was closer so you could find the "other forward"

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
31 Dec 2016 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

HG

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
31 Dec 2016 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

I have 5 of these on my boat!!

I leave 2 going 24/7 when I am moored & not aboard to keep the air flowing through - works great.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Dec 2016 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DAMA said..
HG

where's my walking frame? Dama
To be really honest my walkers cockpit floor is foam core and it was not designed for a pedestal that's how I feel about it
the pedestal flexes when mounted to the floor it far to thin a cover over the foam.
I could strengthen it but do not want to .
As I love quality at a cheap price( gum tree) I first purchase the hydrive cylinder she's a lovely bronze unit and the smallest commercially available cylinder. In doing that the capacity of this unit is 178cc slightly to lager a capacity for the smaller pumps available from all the autopilot makers. so in Raymarine's case it's a type two system.
I don't mind that as I'd rather be on the higher side as far as strength goes .
Whatever I end up with I'm not selling the hydraulic system I have I'd rather store it or use it.
In a storm this would be my weapon of choice

So I have two options one is to remove the hydraulic steering wrap it up and put it a away in storage and just refit the tiller with a pivot as it comes through the stern (probably what I should have done) and purchase a EVo1 tiller auto pilot
or what I did yesterday
But if I don't get this piece of fiberglass snot in the water soon I'll be to old
Just a thought
There's a third option
Jode 5 away I could buy a plane ticket to brissy. Ha Ha he has no internet for a few days so its a possibility

Ramona
NSW, 7487 posts
31 Dec 2016 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

This size boat the wheel position is not a problem. I would not have bothered with the compass binnacle. I use a bulkhead compass with a cover over it. I took the cover off a few weeks ago to make sure the compass was still there. I realized I probably had not used it for a couple of years. For coastal cruising you would rarely be near the wheel and would be using the plotter screen for your course. Have the screen over the nav table so it's visible to you while seated alongside/front of the wheel, obviously if it's a big screen you will only see it on one side from the rear of the cockpit. Mount turning blocks on one side for the windvane control lines to the front of the wheel and the other side the course set controls. After awhile you will find you rarely venture behind the steering wheel and it gets used more like a tiller.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Dec 2016 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
This size boat the wheel position is not a problem. I would not have bothered with the compass binnacle. I use a bulkhead compass with a cover over it. I took the cover off a few weeks ago to make sure the compass was still there. I realized I probably had not used it for a couple of years. For coastal cruising you would rarely be near the wheel and would be using the plotter screen for your course. Have the screen over the nav table so it's visible to you while seated alongside/front of the wheel, obviously if it's a big screen you will only see it on one side from the rear of the cockpit. Mount turning blocks on one side for the windvane control lines to the front of the wheel and the other side the course set controls. After awhile you will find you rarely venture behind the steering wheel and it gets used more like a tiller.

I'm going to move the main sheet track forward slightly to make room for instruments over the hatch plus and in doing so will give me a little more room inside the spray dodger.
Keep things out of the sun including my autopilot controller moving the wheel back gives me every bit of area in the cockpit.( if the mizzen ever went back on its a easy afternoons job) except for strengthening the mizzen bulkhead to the cockpit floor which I'll do a project in the next couple of years while sailing anyway .(some mat and epoxy)
The wind vane is 2018's big buy Ramona not next year. The compass went back because it's there and it can be used if necessary and fills a hole.
I've ordered a Sarca excel number 4 16 kg for the bow should be here in the next week or so
for a shower it's in the cockpit I don't think any woman will want to perv on me my main concern would be seagull pecking me

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Jan 2017 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Last haul out I fitted a shim made out of a beer can . When you have the rudder tied down on a swing mooring the rudder tends to make a knocking noise from excessive clearance. between the rudder shaft and the bronze pintal
So while the boats on the hard I mixed a brew of E glue and wrapped some plastic around the shaft to add clearance and when it's removed tomorrow.
I put plastic between the two pintal so they won't stick together when disassembled tomorrow after the e Glue goes off also . and took up the slack there was a slight variation on the bronze pintal hole angle and the rudder shaft also so the E glue will take up the slack on that also.
The hole in the bronze pintal had a few casting pockets in it as well so this will take them out. Ill remove it tomorrow and sand it up and give the rudder shaft clearance. Last time I anti fouled I we fitted a shim made out a beer can to take the noise out

fared up the bottom of the keel still a little to do there Ill finish it tomorrow a little sun burnt on my back so was a bit unpleasant sanding down there today.
Once the keels dones its roll the last coat of barrier coat on and antifoul.
As the mast going on shortly as well I'm trying to decide if it could go on while the boats on the hard and while the cranes there move the wooden block support the hull under the keel and barrier coat and anti foul and put her in the water a couple of days later after fitting the furler.
Think I'll go with that.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
2 Jan 2017 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

I'm so looking forward to you finishing this boat and going for a sail HG.
You've done a marvellous job mate. Happy New Year to you.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2017 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said...
I'm so looking forward to you finishing this boat and going for a sail HG.
You've done a marvellous job mate. Happy New Year to you.

Happy new year to you Sam
I've had enough fixing
Need to float this boat
Used a flapper wheel to clean up the bore on the pintall
Made a loose fit and then after a couple of double checks and assembly dis a final and sealed in place plenty of clearance

PhoenixStar
QLD, 477 posts
2 Jan 2017 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

I really wish you hadn't got that Sarca HG02. The absolute worst anchor inflicted on the boating public. So sue me.

Ramona
NSW, 7487 posts
2 Jan 2017 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PhoenixStar said..
I really wish you hadn't got that Sarca HG02. The absolute worst anchor inflicted on the boating public. So sue me.

The bloke that "designed" that anchor frequents the boating forums so be prepared for a discussion.

PhoenixStar
QLD, 477 posts
2 Jan 2017 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

PhoenixStar said..

The bloke that "designed" that anchor frequents the boating forums so be prepared for a discussion.

I would welcome such a discussion. Had a No. 6 sarca on a 12 m cat, 6 tons loaded, all chain and it dragged in every known bottom and all anchorages, all the way from the Gold Coast to the Louisiades. Sometimes it would bite when dropped, sometimes needed 15 meters to set, sometimes I would have to go around because it would not set at all. Wind against tide and veering it would pop out and fail to reset. It put my bum against the rocks at Fitzroy Island anchored on coral rubble. no veering or wind, it just popped out. I had so much chain out I think that most of the time I was anchored to the chain. Abandoned it after 2 years of finger biting mooring for a Mansen Supreme, blissikens. I use a Vulcan now and it's even better.

And to insult to injury, when I finally decided to give it away, it bit so deep in Trinity Inlet I couldn't get it out. Veered and over ran many times and when it finally broke loose it came up with a bent shank.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2017 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PhoenixStar said..

Oh Sh#t looks like I'm having a bad day. What would you and ramona bought? ,rather than the exel .
my other choice was a mason boss

As far as the throttle gear shift position its just been placed in its original hole when the tiller was fitted I had tape covering the hole and thought I'd just fit it back the to cover the hole for now.

PhoenixStar
QLD, 477 posts
2 Jan 2017 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

PhoenixStar said..

Oh Sh#t looks like I'm having a bad day. What would you and ramona bought? ,rather than the exel .
my other choice was a mason boss

As far as the throttle gear shift position its just been placed in its original hole when the tiller was fitted I had tape covering the hole and thought I'd just fit it back the to cover the hole for now.

I guess there are a few high hold anchors that work, but the Rocna Vulcan I have now is quite extraordinary. I tried to see if I could mess things up with it by breaking all the anchoring rules I could think of - with way on, veering, dumping chain on top of it but it grabbed as soon as it hit the bottom every time (except once when I hit an old crab pot). The Rocna blurb says give it 5/1 scope then shorten up to 3/1, seems like a bad idea and I am not game to leave it like that, but in a crowded anchorage I have never dragged in any wind with 4/1, and no matter what strain I put on it it breaks out really easily. And it always comes up with the fluke down. If you have limited overhang with your bow fitting it is relatively short from neck to fluke and that is a help. If you pull it up short in the roller it is impossible to have it jump off in a boarding sea which is another bonus. if you have a remote anchor winch it is self launching and I have a chain counter so I never go forward when anchoring now. The Vulcan angel takes care of me.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin