Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Dec 2016 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Bought mine a good two years ago off Ronstan on ebay
Should finally get some use next year
Must-have excessive stock of the black

southace
SA, 4762 posts
11 Dec 2016 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Cobwebs h02 cobwebs!

southace
SA, 4762 posts
11 Dec 2016 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Black ones look good though. They are a prick to get level with stick on Velcro. But since I have t the right screws yet I thought I would tested the adhesive and positions! I just want to go sailiing in 2 weeks!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Dec 2016 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Cobwebs h02 cobwebs!

yes cobwebs nearly forgot about them till a few weeks ago

AshleyM
QLD, 197 posts
15 Dec 2016 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

So I'm moored at Tangalooma and am facing the usual wind against tide, of which there are plenty of both. After another night of listening to my dinghy banging against my hull, I thought it was time to find a solution:

I started with a plastic mixing bowl but eventually settled on a bucket. Problem solved!

Lenn
NSW, 173 posts
15 Dec 2016 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

patent it asap

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Dec 2016 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lenn said..
patent it asap

absolutely
That bucket could multitask as the "manage the boat finances" just add a couple of small holes

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Dec 2016 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Spent he day on the mast
Fitted the folding steps back on
Ran my halayards some temp some permanent
Ran all my cables up the inside of the old sail track
And nearly completed fitting the tides marine sail track
Happy man here

southace
SA, 4762 posts
17 Dec 2016 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

You should be able to lift your main with one arm h2o!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Dec 2016 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
You should be able to lift your main with one arm h2o!

At the moment yes maybe in ten years time, I might be in trouble S.A. I'm trying to look forward in time and also any big bucks spent now while I'm working not when I'm on a pension .
No more fixing boats after next year its enjoy sailing the little beast

southace
SA, 4762 posts
17 Dec 2016 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

A little birdie told me you will have to be 65 soon before retiring you might Have to wait a few more years if the government has there way.!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Dec 2016 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
A little birdie told me you will have to be 65 soon before retiring you might Have to wait a few more years if the government has there way.!

Next year it changes up till june if your 65 its what its l ways been then in June you add 6 months I think before you can retire .I'm staying work till the week after Easter and then retire South Ace. get a few weekend sea miles up . Making sure everything is working and add a few bits and pieces.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
18 Dec 2016 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AshleyM said..
So I'm moored at Tangalooma and am facing the usual wind against tide, of which there are plenty of both. After another night of listening to my dinghy banging against my hull, I thought it was time to find a solution:

I started with a plastic mixing bowl but eventually settled on a bucket. Problem solved!

Genius!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Dec 2016 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Spent he day on the mast
Fitted the folding steps back on
Ran my halayards some temp some permanent
Ran all my cables up the inside of the old sail track
And nearly completed fitting the tides marine sail track
Happy man here

about as fast as money goes when you own a boat

shaped the mast end of the spreaders just need to cut the outers the right length tomorrow and drill a couple of holes.
made the aerial brackets waiting for the Nav light to arrive once that's wired up shes ready for South East yacht services to erect the mast Id say in January now as Xmas is coming up fast

southace
SA, 4762 posts
19 Dec 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Pulled the 15 year old aircon out ready for the new one hopefuly delivered in next few days! New curtains for the forward cabin! New rope bags! New tides marine sail track slide system! Diver cleaned the hull! almost ready to go sailing again! Thank good I don't have worms! ??

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
19 Dec 2016 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Installed restored saloon tAble today
Revenneered water damsge at edges

Replaced screws holding fore hatch with 16ssbolts
Will be happer now
Hope no more leaks

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Dec 2016 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scaramouche said..

Installed restored saloon tAble today
Revenneered water damsge at edges

Replaced screws holding fore hatch with 16ssbolts
Will be happer now
Hope no more leaks

We cant have a nice job like this one side ways

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
21 Dec 2016 6:08AM
Thumbs Up

The worm infested laminations of my skeg and rudder have all been chopped out now. New timbers have been added and faired in and they have been completly encased in fibre glass so that they will never get worms again.

Poor old southace has a fixation on worms and it must have been keeping him awake at night worrying about them. He can rest easy now as the nasty old worms are all gone never to return. There is a war on worms in Qld.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
21 Dec 2016 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like your doing a cracker of a job Cisco so when are you going sailing?

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
21 Dec 2016 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Going sailing implies the yacht has to be in the water. The silly season is in full swing and nearly everybody is off on holidays till 9th of January.

Bottom to be painted, new rig to be made, mast to be stood, still stripping out crap from the last owner, full rewire to be done, the list as usual is endless.

She will get wet again in January hopefully and maybe some river sailing and poke the nose out the front sailing soon after but I don't see any serious cruising coming up before March. Just going from day to day.

I had Drew Sayer (Fore and Aft Surveys) do his job on the yacht yesterday for $400 and he said what I have done ticks all the boxes for any insurance company. I asked him about insurance companies and of course in his position he cannot promote one or denigrate another. However during the conversation he did mention that Elders Insurance will insure boats in the cyclone prone areas of Queensland and related about a couple of guys (one in Cooktown) who had very good claim experiences with them.

On a different note here is something I am sure many here will be interested in. Mast head tri/anchor lights are something that is usually a headache, one because the 20 watt bulbs chew so much power and two because the incandescent bulbs have a habit of blowing and three because they cost so much.

Check this out from Bottomline Marine on the Isle of Man, small family company with 100% feedback on Ebay. Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152114682243?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jolene
WA, 1565 posts
21 Dec 2016 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

I installed a Supernova combi on my mast. I'm pretty impressed with it

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Dec 2016 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jolene said..
I installed a Supernova combi on my mast. I'm pretty impressed with it

I wish I'd done the same the nav light I ordered and paid for won't be delivered till some time in January

someday
NSW, 97 posts
21 Dec 2016 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, thinking about insurance and LED navigation lights, I wonder if it might be better if the LED bulb was certified in the navigation light it is being installed in. Lunasea Lights and Dr LED make some replacement bulbs that are certified in some navigation lights. There is a guide here for the Dr LED ones (but like, reading the fine print, it doesn't seem to cover the tri colour lights):

www.doctorled.com/crossref.htm

And some information on the Lunasea Lights:

www.lunasealighting.com/products/category/led-navigation-fixtures-and-bulbs

I am having trouble trying to find any replacement LED bulb that is certified in a Aqua Signal series 40 tri colour navigation light.

Personally I don't mind if you want to use uncertified navigation lights (since I have the boat safely stored out of the water away from the danger ). I'm just trying to be helpful. In the Jan 2016 Practical Sailor they noted, from a US Coast Guard safety alert:

"According to the USCG, there's a growing number of navigation lights on the market that do not meet technical certification requirements. These lights are typically less expensive, making them a tempting choice for uninformed shoppers. However, installing these lights (which likely do not have the proper chromaticity, luminous intensity, or cutoff angles) could land the boat owner in violation of Coast Guard regulations, and they could potentially cause an accident."

And it continues to tell you how naughty you are installing uncertified bulbs . Unfortunately it doesn't provide the link to the safety alert, and the Practical Sailor article is paywalled.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Dec 2016 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Mines a Hella 2 NM NaviLED TRIO Tri Colour Navigation Lamp colour
(no bulb to give a bad contact problems that's the way I look at it any way)
It's all personal choices

Just where I ordered it from closed till January
The anchor light does not strobe as some have suggested

someday
NSW, 97 posts
22 Dec 2016 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

Great plan, it seems a lot easier to buy a certified tri colour LED navigation light than it is to find a LED bulb that is certified to replace the incandescent bulb in a specific tri colour navigation light fitting (certification has to be done on the bulb in a specific fitting). And a new LED navigation light will be sealed.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
22 Dec 2016 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
someday said..
Great plan, it seems a lot easier to buy a certified tri colour LED navigation light than it is to find a LED bulb that is certified to replace the incandescent bulb in a specific tri colour navigation light fitting (certification has to be done on the bulb in a specific fitting). And a new LED navigation light will be sealed.

I took an Aqua Signal tri light off the mast. It was a good enough product for 30 years ago when it was put there but today the lens are crack crazed, the bulb socket and connections are weathered and could be cleaned up and put back into service but looking at the price of tri/anchor lights which are still old technology at anything from $300 to $800, one has to look for a better solution.

I wanted something I can put up there and forget about because I know it is going to work 5 or 10 years from now without having to change bulbs. An LED bulb costs over $50 for an Aqua Signal or similar.

The Super Nova is made by NASA who also make the Clipper series of instruments (depth, speed etc) and they have been in the business for a long time.

The Super Nova is completely sealed with a goretex membrane on the underside to compensate temperature changes. It is rated for 2 nm or better and I think it is a great piece of kit for a very good price but I have to say that don't I because I have shelled out the shekels for one.

P.S. It comes with the switch and a good mounting bracket too.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
22 Dec 2016 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

That is the clue to the whole deal. No ascending the mast to screw with a dodgy socket.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Dec 2016 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

HG02 said..

That is the clue to the whole deal. No ascending the mast to screw with a dodgy socket.

That's the problem with all bayonet type globes a little bit of moisture or over time they corrode and loose earth contact with the globe.
See it many times even when new car may blow a globe and they drop into there local petrol station for a new globe only to buy a a chinese el cheapo
with the incorrect resistance and when that blows they come in and complain there tail lights keep blowing globes.
Or the old number plate globe that the sockets corroded and you have to scrub it clean to get your light going again.
Some of the LED work lights that they're now fitting to earth moving now wow they really light up their brighter than sunlight.
I thought HID lighting would be the way but LEDs have surpassed them now

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Dec 2016 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted the mast head aerials waiting for the 4 G and the Nav light to arrive .Ill bend up a aluminum bracket for the base mount for the nav light to the mast head
Still have to pin down the cables and zip tie them to the aerial brackets.
I fitted three through hulls yesterday afternoon after work but forgot to take a photo. one for engine cooling and two for the head.

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
24 Dec 2016 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

The birds will love that roost there HG - get yourself some bird spikes.

I have an aerial same as yours, vertical, on my mast & the cockatoos still land on the aerial & it is now sticking out at 45'

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin