Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4776 posts
16 Sep 2017 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Last figuration pump @ the floor chain drive slightly different ratio Ill use some Teflon blocks to spin the wheel shaft and the Teflon blocks will have shims under them for chain adjustment and a couple of collars so the wheel shaft had no movement.and using copper tube instead of the plastic crap Ill fit toggle switch steering inside the hard top

And ill have a go at this hard top its exactly where I wanted the main sheet track.
No wind generators just solar less moving parts

I might try the earlier version windscreen angle

going to run some copper coils in my kero stove at the bottom of the oven to heat up my little hot water system and run a Toyota Prius cooling pump to circulate the water so might just keep the Bukh on sea water

Are you going back to wheel steering again?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Sep 2017 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

I always was just had top move my boat S.A.

Its a two part construction in the next couple of days it will be one part once I've strengthened the base and then Ill bond the pedestal to the base
I wanted to lower the centre of gravity as before the helm was high and also wanted to alter the wheel turns to turns as I will use the old teak wheel which is a smaller diameter plus the floor was not designed for a pedestal but it will before its fitted now

I've a bit more to do to the base
and Donk its the journey not the destination so stop asking when I will leave OK . And Noi the mizzen is gone for good its broken and I am not fitting a repaired mizzen as it could bring the lot down. And I'm in no hurry Im only waiting like the rest of to die

The original tiller will be an emergency only fitted when needed and Ill have a toggle switch steering at the cabin top off the pump. No room for a wheel there

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
20 Sep 2017 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Lokks elegant and bullet proof HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2017 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Bit more to go yet but I'm happy so far
I've worked out a way to make those rusty old Adams like South Ace owns unsinkable so I've sent it out there . Just so he can sleep well at night
And Im not clowning around when I say that

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
20 Sep 2017 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

no such thing as a Rusty Adams just a boat that need love. All the Adams Family will agree.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2017 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
whiteout said..
no such thing as a Rusty Adams just a boat that need love. All the Adams Family will agree.

Thought Id get a bite
Just trying to reduce you sell price Whiteout Next time you up grade

I thought this puzzle up and sent it to some one to think about it would and could stop any yacht sinking be it at a mooring or off shore
or around a race course being hit by a bow of another yacht.
and it could be fixed to any boat .
Think of a long pod fixed just above you keel on both sides
Inside this pod it are many air bags similar to a cars steering wheel air bag system these are sequenced so the centrer air bags go off first. then the bow and stern airbags deploy.
Thus sustaining the yacht from sinking
they could be deployed by the Skipper or by a bilge switch set as a certain height inside the Hull
Thus reducing all out insurance policies and South Ace can sleep well
they could be inflated several different ways .
Where I sent it they will make it

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Sep 2017 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
whiteout said..

What non skid did you use whiteout I'm about to do the same to my Adams in the next few weeks?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2017 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

whiteout said..

What non skid did you use whiteout I'm about to do the same to my Adams in the next few weeks?

I might be wrong here but I'm not to keen on the rubbery one as if you feet are dirty it could stain I've seen a couple of boats like that I gave mine away to Phil George to use
I used perfection and there grit seem OK on the feet and deck shoes

would you fix air bag tech to your keel south ace know your boat would never sink even if a hose came off in your hull and you were a thousand kilometres way when it happened I would
and you received a insurance discount because you fitted them

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
20 Sep 2017 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

whiteout said..

Intergrit does a good job. A coat of paint....spread the Intergrit.....wait 'til dry.....brush off excess grit....another coat of paint...finished.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2017 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

southace said..

whiteout said..

Intergrit does a good job. A coat of paint....spread the Intergrit.....wait 'til dry.....brush off excess grit....another coat of paint...finished.

I took Sam's advice worked out OK for me mines a little rough than Sam's but I think his lovely wife might have done that part

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
20 Sep 2017 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yep non skid and extra sprinkle of non skid balls then a top-coat of clear. Works well.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
20 Sep 2017 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

samsturdy said..

southace said..

whiteout said..

I took Sam's advice worked out OK for me mines a little rough than Sam's but I think his lovely wife might have done that part

Absolutely correct HG.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2017 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

HG02 said..

samsturdy said..

southace said..

whiteout said..

Absolutely correct HG.

your only saying that because she's watching you Sam

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Sep 2017 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

I'm thinking of using KiWi grip.

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
20 Sep 2017 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

I used Jotun Imperlite 300 polyurethane topcoat, penguard epoxy primer and anti skid sprinkles it works better than anything I have used before. I was thinking about Kiwi Grip all products are good just have to give it a go.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
20 Sep 2017 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

samsturdy said..

HG02 said..

samsturdy said..

southace said..

whiteout said..

Absolutely correct HG.

your only saying that because she's watching you Sam

Absolutely correct HG

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
20 Sep 2017 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

I used KIWI GRIP - very easy & I'm happy with the result

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Sep 2017 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..

southace said..

I used KIWI GRIP - very easy & I'm happy with the result

Is the kiwi grip soft and not like sandpaper like the polyurethanes?

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
20 Sep 2017 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Definitely not like sandpaper!!

You can get the texture you want when applying it - I went for the softer touch.

There is a video on You-Tube (or the Kiwi Grip site) will tell you what you need.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Sep 2017 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..

southace said..

You can get the texture you want when applying it - I went for the softer touch.

There is a video on You-Tube (or the Kiwi Grip site) will tell you what you need.

Nice, yeah I watched the video, how many litres did you use , I see its $50 per litre at whitworths?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2017 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..

southace said..

The only thing to watch with that is muddy feet climbing into the cock pit I've seen it get contaminated and stained over a 12 month period

so it might not work with all your back packers South Ace

those swedes have dirty feet

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
20 Sep 2017 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Lazzz said..

southace said..

Nice, yeah I watched the video, how many litres did you use , I see its $50 per litre at whitworths?

I bought a 4 ltr can from memory - cheaper!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Sep 2017 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Lazzz said..

southace said..

The only thing to watch with that is muddy feet climbing into the cock pit I've seen it get contaminated and stained over a 12 month period

Muddy feet or deck shoes or any shoes do not come into my house!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2017 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

HG02 said..

Lazzz said..

southace said..

Muddy feet or deck shoes or any shoes do not come into my house!

it will work then

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
20 Sep 2017 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Kiwigrip is nice to walk on but I found it wore out on my cockpit floor after 12 months of solid use.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Sep 2017 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

If you're on the hard like I was in a no no but if your boats on the water might be OK . So to me dont used it if your on the hard for a while as you will walk it into the deck. I guess it depends on your environment

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Sep 2017 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

I used botecoat aquacote its a water based poly love the stuff I can remember I used similar on my old Quick cat many years ago it was tuff stuff

I just used a foam brush i could have sprayed it but if I ever need to touch some thing up its easy brush

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
23 Sep 2017 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Bolted my windvane back on. Replaced the Delrin bevel gears with brass and replaced the delrin oar pivot bearings with black nylon. Also the housing for the SS bearing for the small bevel gear is now in black nylon. Sun had effected the Delrin and a few teeth had chipped off the gears. Machined new pulleys as well. The nylon I bought from Cammthane in Albion Park and it's a pleasure to work with on the lathe.
www.cammthane.com.au/

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
23 Sep 2017 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Bolted my windvane back on. Replaced the Delrin bevel gears with brass and replaced the delrin oar pivot bearings with black nylon. Also the housing for the SS bearing for the small bevel gear is now in black nylon. Sun had effected the Delrin and a few teeth had chipped off the gears. Machined new pulleys as well. The nylon I bought from Cammthane in Albion Park and it's a pleasure to work with on the lathe.
www.cammthane.com.au/

That's an interesting looking setup, would you mind putting some more photos of it up. After being mesmerised by countless hours of watching my wind vane at work I've developed an unnatural fascination with all things wind vane related.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2538 posts
23 Sep 2017 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

That's kinda of a cool fascination Andy.
I found one of the those serious problems today. We took a bunch of 9 x kids for a birthday sail to Peel today, all good, but came home into 30 kn on the nose. Was great for us, and a nice first exposure to sailing for the kids!
The kids were great, little freaked out, but happy freaking. Anyway.
The winds were strong enough to flip the dingy under tow, tearing both cleats out of the bow, and the start of a 40 min recovery, End result we lost the boat hook retrieving upside down inflatable, but got inflatable and outboard back, no boat hook.
It was blowing like stink, and I'd just sat down to a welcome coffee after the dinghy was safely following the boat again, when we gybed. The mainsheet was eased and as we gybed over it wrapped around the starboard wheel, crushing it as the mainsheet took up the slack.
The helm is locked of course, as some numpty wrapped a dirty great mainsheet around it. I'm lunging for the self tailer and hanging on as the boat just takes off, the locked helm's driving it onto a reach as I start dumping mainsheet.Back to the helm and a superman heave to lift the still powered up mainsheet out of the wheel before letting it dump to leeward. Panic over.
Again.
That's twice now.

That's definitely a problem with the Pogo I need to resolve, the following pic shows the problem. I drew a fake mainsheet to show the problem, the arrow shows where it bites into the wheel. The mainsheet can't be slack without it becoming a threat by potentially wrapping around the wheel when gybing. That's B.a.d. Especially 'cos it happens in heavy winds when the mainsheet is eased.

I could sheet the mainsheet all the way in first before gybing, but that's not always practical in heavy winds, the boat can power up too much.
Idea 1. I've tried bungy cord looped around the mainsheet to the bottom of the boom with not much success, I might try a variant of that idea methinks.
Idea 2. Mount a wheel guard of some description on the pedestal. Could look good, or terrible.
I'm open to ideas if anyone got a suggestion!

The positive for the day was the sail choice was new for me in those winds, full main and headsail in 30 kn, normally I'd be on staysail and a reef. She stayed well-mannered and in control. .

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin