Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4776 posts
9 Dec 2017 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

The inside of the plate gets to minus 10 for fridge which leaves the box at around 4 degrees. The compressor has not run since I got up this morning!

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
9 Dec 2017 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
The inside of the plate gets to minus 10 for fridge which leaves the box at around 4 degrees. The compressor has not run since I got up this morning!

Southface, could the fan be located in way to assist with boat ventilation so it sucked in air from the outside ? That way you could get cool beer and ventilation for the energy price of just cool beer.

A

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
9 Dec 2017 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Today I climbed the mast, removed a dud B&G wind monitoring unit. I then detached the forestay and removed the reefit furler mechanism to be exchanged with a racing kit so I can use my old deck sweeper sails. Found a lovely crack in the turnbuckle that was hidden inside the furler. The crack goes right through to the thread.

The interesting thing is that the rigging was replaced and inspected about a year ago. The rigger inspected and re-used the turn buckles - so it looks like the crack has developed in the last 6 months or so. Very happy it didn't give way in Bass Strait.

This turnbuckle will be at least 20 years old. Remind me next time I replace the rigging to also replace the turn buckles.

A

southace
SA, 4776 posts
9 Dec 2017 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrew68 said..

southace said..

Southface, could the fan be located in way to assist with boat ventilation so it sucked in air from the outside ? That way you could get cool beer and ventilation for the energy price of just cool beer.

A

Problerly but the compressor still hasn't run for over 6 hours and the fridge is still at 2.9 degrees so I don't think I need to vent it anymore. Tonight I will plumb the water pump into my fresh water tanks.

nswsailor
NSW, 1434 posts
9 Dec 2017 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrew68 said..
Today I climbed the mast, removed a dud B&G wind monitoring unit. I then detached the forestay and removed the reefit furler mechanism to be exchanged with a racing kit so I can use my old deck sweeper sails. Found a lovely crack in the turnbuckle that was hidden inside the furler. The crack goes right through to the thread.

The interesting thing is that the rigging was replaced and inspected about a year ago. The rigger inspected and re-used the turn buckles - so it looks like the crack has developed in the last 6 months or so. Very happy it didn't give way in Bass Strait.

This turnbuckle will be at least 20 years old. Remind me next time I replace the rigging to also replace the turn buckles.

Ahhh, so that's why my rigger put new turn buckles all round

Lucky save Andrew. Maybe you should just go round and replace all the turn buckles, cheaper than a new mast

southace
SA, 4776 posts
9 Dec 2017 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Oze fridge is up and running great Australian made product and service. It requires some tuning up and have to plumb my water tanks into it some how but so far on fan and compressor the beers are cold!

I'm getting around a 2 to 3 hour run @ 6 amp draw per 24 hour cycle it's so nice not to have the fridge running all the bloody time! Still fine tuning and removing some gas which apparently will make it even more economical.

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
10 Dec 2017 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Because of the cracked turnbuckle, I can't go sailing, so I decided to do a complete headsail inventory for my Currawong 30.

The sails by order of appearance are :
No 4 heavy weather furling Jib
No 4, 3 & 2 foil jibs
No 2.5 furling genoa (under the No 2)
No 1 foil genoa.

I didn't realise there was such a big difference between the No 3 and No 2/1.

Some are in terrible condition and some very good. I forgot to include the storm jib. Now what to do with all these sails ? Unfortunately the furler and the old cracked tuff-luff have different rope sizes.

Thinking of converting all the foils to hanks, ditching the furler and just running hanks. Can any one advise if converting foiled tuff-luff sails to wichard hanks is a one way journey ?

A

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
10 Dec 2017 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

I have taken the furler off my Lotus 9.2 and with the sails I have I believe I will have a lot more options.

My mate took the furler off his Adams 31 and has not looked back since. His most used head sail is a reefable (from the foot) yankee sail.

That set of sails you have there is comparable to my wardrobe.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
11 Dec 2017 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrew68 said..
Because of the cracked turnbuckle, I can't go sailing, so I decided to do a complete headsail inventory for my Currawong 30.

The sails by order of appearance are :
No 4 heavy weather furling Jib
No 4, 3 & 2 foil jibs
No 2.5 furling genoa (under the No 2)
No 1 foil genoa.

I didn't realise there was such a big difference between the No 3 and No 2/1.

Some are in terrible condition and some very good. I forgot to include the storm jib. Now what to do with all these sails ? Unfortunately the furler and the old cracked tuff-luff have different rope sizes.

Thinking of converting all the foils to hanks, ditching the furler and just running hanks. Can any one advise if converting foiled tuff-luff sails to wichard hanks is a one way journey ?

A

My Currawong came with a heap of sails. I think the previous owners bought new sails for each Sydney Hobart race[5]. 3 fully battened mains and a few headsails made for the grooved luff that the furler has to be removed to use. This includes a light weight No1 that is brand new that I will probably never use. 5 spinnakers including a storm spinnaker! But I only use the cruising chute. When I bought the boat it had a crosscut No2 on the furler. I carry this now as a spare and use one of Tony Bull's Chinese built radial cut laminated No2s as an all rounder sail. I carry a No5 that fits into a cushion cover I stitched up that resides on one of the bunks. This sail is superb and fits with the furler but I would hate to have to change to it at sea. Also have a staysail I made and other sails I fiddle with!
I had hanked on headsails on my quarter tonner and they were excellent but a pain in the butt changing solo.
I would stick with the furler and either modify an existing No2 or have another sail built with a padded luff specifically for a furler. Round here a No2 is more than adequate on a Currawong.

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
11 Dec 2017 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Ramona is right.
If you are going to sail short handed and off shore a fuller is much easier.
On the other hand if you are going to have a few crew and want to go fast then look at changing handsails.
For cruising furlling is the way to.go.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
11 Dec 2017 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Yes agree i have one mainsail and one furling headsail thats and a perkins i would like to add a code0 or cruising chute to my wardrobe.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
11 Dec 2017 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Had a swim this morning and gave the folding prop a good clean before heading offshore. Made a significant difference to my motoring speed! Shaft anode is fairly new but somehow one bolts missing and it's rotating on the shaft. They have nyloc nuts but that's obviously not good enough! Have to drag out the hookah and fit a new one in the next few days.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
11 Dec 2017 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

If one is planning to employ Wichard hanks - the easiest hanks in the business - on his jib and is planning to use a spinnaker ever, he would be wise using a piston hank on the topmost position - may be the two topmost positions - on the jib to avoid occasional mishaps, the Wichard hanks catching the spinnaker sheet!
I use Wichard hanks only on my stay sails and having a furling jib the spinnaker sheet is not an issue.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
11 Dec 2017 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

If any of you gents have a superfluous foil-jib of heavier cloth with high clew, Yankee style, with max. 36" or 10.95 meter luff, about 14-17sqm, l might be interested.

Also, a heavier cruising spinnaker for a 28 footer.

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
11 Dec 2017 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Andrew68 said..

A

My Currawong came with a heap of sails. I think the previous owners bought new sails for each Sydney Hobart race[5]. 3 fully battened mains and a few headsails made for the grooved luff that the furler has to be removed to use. This includes a light weight No1 that is brand new that I will probably never use. 5 spinnakers including a storm spinnaker! But I only use the cruising chute. When I bought the boat it had a crosscut No2 on the furler. I carry this now as a spare and use one of Tony Bull's Chinese built radial cut laminated No2s as an all rounder sail. I carry a No5 that fits into a cushion cover I stitched up that resides on one of the bunks. This sail is superb and fits with the furler but I would hate to have to change to it at sea. Also have a staysail I made and other sails I fiddle with!
I had hanked on headsails on my quarter tonner and they were excellent but a pain in the butt changing solo.
I would stick with the furler and either modify an existing No2 or have another sail built with a padded luff specifically for a furler. Round here a No2 is more than adequate on a Currawong.

Thanks for all this great advice. I am starting to race a bit and it seems we are in either less than 10 knots or greater than 20Knots with not much in between. I have more spare hands than I expected and I feel I either need a No 4 or that light weight No 1 you have.

I have been speaking to a rigger for some ideas on why my furler system seems slower than the old foils - I'll work on these ideas a bit more. BTW let me know if you ever want to sell that light weight No 1 - sound perfect for those days of light winds when the fidgety crew needs something to do.

A

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
12 Dec 2017 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrew68 said..

Ramona said..

Andrew68 said..

A

Thanks for all this great advice. I am starting to race a bit and it seems we are in either less than 10 knots or greater than 20Knots with not much in between. I have more spare hands than I expected and I feel I either need a No 4 or that light weight No 1 you have.

I have been speaking to a rigger for some ideas on why my furler system seems slower than the old foils - I'll work on these ideas a bit more. BTW let me know if you ever want to sell that light weight No 1 - sound perfect for those days of light winds when the fidgety crew needs something to do.

A

I'm keeping all the sails on the off chance I want to sell the boat.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Dec 2017 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Had a swim this morning and gave the folding prop a good clean before heading offshore. Made a significant difference to my motoring speed! Shaft anode is fairly new but somehow one bolts missing and it's rotating on the shaft. They have nyloc nuts but that's obviously not good enough! Have to drag out the hookah and fit a new one in the next few days.

Do you use any Loctite on those nylocs when fitting on the hard . I have, sort of hoping it would help once its set.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
12 Dec 2017 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Ramona said..

Do you use any Loctite on those nylocs when fitting on the hard . I have, sort of hoping it would help once its set.

Don't think that would work to well working underwater.

2bish
TAS, 815 posts
13 Dec 2017 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrew68 said..

A

Holy Crap! Bet you're glad you spotted that in time? looks like it would let go in a decent blow!

FelixdeCat
NSW, 234 posts
14 Dec 2017 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

I picked up the frame for my new dodger from Carrington Products!!!

I am old enough now that its hard to get too excited about things but this is an exception. I can't wait to weld it up, install it and cut away the old roof which was way too low. The discs in my lower back herniate every couple of years so the low 1.1m roof was a genuine problem, not just an inconvenience.

Aiming to have it in before new years eve.

sydchris
NSW, 387 posts
14 Dec 2017 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Ramona said..

I fill & fair over the gaps in the anode where the bolts are with epoxy putty. Never had a problem with the bolts coming loose, and it's one less space for coral to grow into

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
14 Dec 2017 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sydchris said..

HG02 said..

Ramona said..

I fill & fair over the gaps in the anode where the bolts are with epoxy putty. Never had a problem with the bolts coming loose, and it's one less space for coral to grow into

That's not a bad idea. Selleys Kneadit jammed into the gaps underwater is do able.

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
14 Dec 2017 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2bish said..

Holy Crap! Bet you're glad you spotted that in time? looks like it would let go in a decent blow!

Also glad it didn't give way when I was up the mast in a fair wind. Here is the new shiny blue wave replacement as I am putting some tension on the forestay. The orange spectra halyard is taking up the slack. The clever Reefit furler fits over this assembly and locks onto to the bolt with nylocs. Remember to inspect under your furler !

A

2bish
TAS, 815 posts
14 Dec 2017 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

I finished resealing my deck mounted anchor switches. While I was inside the cupboard down below, I could see the cleat had been leaking, so I did that as well. I'll do another tighten on the mounting bolts before I clean up the squeeze out of butyl tape. First time using the butyl tape, looks good so far and easy to use.

FelixdeCat
NSW, 234 posts
18 Dec 2017 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Seemed like a good day to chop some of the roof away.

My my back feels better already

darmah
WA, 28 posts
18 Dec 2017 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got to the end of a 6mth journey New motor fitted, shaft and prop, complete rewire, rudder rebuild and all those other fiddly things that get in the way exhaust, fuel line and skin fittings, just in time for xmas carn't wait to put up a sail come on the weekend , and Merry xmas to all cheers

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
19 Dec 2017 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

It's been a massive few weeks for me.
Buy a boat it will be fun they said, and yes it has been.
Finally getting my boat back in the water after a month on the hard.
mast refirb, new standing rigging, skin fittings all checked and re sealed, Motor service, Bottom sand and anti foul, rudder bearings checked, Cutlass bearing and stern gland checked, hull polish and clean. and more.
Rigging tune on Thursday and then some sailing.
After launching a quick spin up the bay, very pleased with 6 kn of boat speed from my little yanmar at 3/4 throttle.

Seasons greetings to you all and your families have a safe Christmas
Cheers Scott

FelixdeCat
NSW, 234 posts
5 Jan 2018 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Got the couch upholstered in time for NYE. Multiple cup holders followed .

Frame for the dodger is coming along but needs some adjustment before Bruce can put the canvas on. The shape of the rear support doesnt match the others, as you might be able to tell from the 2nd picture. And ill weld a few more joints because the Bimini fittings are just not rigid enough.

The cover below is just temporary.

The old balsa roof that was cut will need a steel edge, and a vertical support to restore full strength at each track but thats ok.

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
18 Jan 2018 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

I re-split the tiller.

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
18 Jan 2018 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Then glued it back up again with some layers of glass for good measure.

A

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin