Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Craig66
NSW, 2460 posts
5 May 2020 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Gary, yep, wouldn't it just? The problem is the requirement for the engine to be running to move the keel electronically, so the alternator charging masks the draw on the batteries. I did the usual isolation battery test but didn't pick up anything.
I don't really understand if a battery can show ok voltage under light load and then fail under heavy load, I would've thought it would be a linear thing and show up across the board albeit in smaller increments.
I'm nursing a big lump on my head, lesson is don't celebrate by jumping around like a crazed loon inside a boat, cabin roofs are hard .

Thanks BB!

Numbskull ???

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
5 May 2020 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Craig66 said..

shaggybaxter said..
Gary, yep, wouldn't it just? The problem is the requirement for the engine to be running to move the keel electronically, so the alternator charging masks the draw on the batteries. I did the usual isolation battery test but didn't pick up anything.
I don't really understand if a battery can show ok voltage under light load and then fail under heavy load, I would've thought it would be a linear thing and show up across the board albeit in smaller increments.
I'm nursing a big lump on my head, lesson is don't celebrate by jumping around like a crazed loon inside a boat, cabin roofs are hard .

Thanks BB!

Numbskull ???

tarquin1
950 posts
5 May 2020 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Great work.
I'm sure Gary can explain better but batteries only have so many cycles in them. The amount of times they can be charged. Each time they loose a little life and the amps drop. Your 100 amp battery becomes a 90 amp battery. So as you said light load is fine but heavy loading wont be OK even though the volts look OK. This is why it's important to always keep batteries charged and not let them drop too low. Letting them drop right down once or twice will really take a lot of life out of them. As I said I have them tested occasionally. I get a little ticket for each battery that says % ,amps and cycles left. How old were the old batteries?
Do you give the engine some revs before you move the keel. This will make sure the alternator has kicked in. If the batteries are charged the alternator may not kick in at low revs.
Bet you cant wait to get back out on the water! Are you allowed there.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
5 May 2020 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tarquin1 said..
Great work.
I'm sure Gary can explain better but batteries only have so many cycles in them. The amount of times they can be charged. Each time they loose a little life and the amps drop. Your 100 amp battery becomes a 90 amp battery. So as you said light load is fine but heavy loading wont be OK even though the volts look OK. This is why it's important to always keep batteries charged and not let them drop too low. Letting them drop right down once or twice will really take a lot of life out of them. As I said I have them tested occasionally. I get a little ticket for each battery that says % ,amps and cycles left. How old were the old batteries?
Do you give the engine some revs before you move the keel. This will make sure the alternator has kicked in. If the batteries are charged the alternator may not kick in at low revs.
Bet you cant wait to get back out on the water! Are you allowed there.

G'day Tarquin,
The batteries were good but at my last club someone kept making cuts in my shore power cable and shorting out the supply. I'd go down the boat and find the batteries at 10V and some melted bits. This all stopped once I moved the boat and now I've repaired/replaced everything its been rock solid. Even though I thought I had tested them religiously it's probably not surprising the batteries are toast, they were the last residual bit from this period left.

Regards the engine revs, no, I don't need to be off idle normally for the keel. When we are offshore with everything lit and operational we're running the diesel every 24 hours, then I have the revs up a bit as the charge difference is noticeable for sure.

Yes mate, we are allowed to go sailing now after some 6 odd weeks of lockdown, so the diver is booked for Friday and we have an impromptu 'race' taking shape for this weekend. All boats short handed, no rules, it's just an excuse to get out and play.

How about you? Are you allowed out in your neck of the woods?
Cheers!
SB

fishmonkey
NSW, 494 posts
5 May 2020 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..

it's easy to be misled by voltage readings when testing a battery. firstly, the battery may have a surface charge if it has not been at rest for long enough (at rest means no loads or charging). secondly, they way that cells fail can mean that there may be a fragile electrical connection inside the battery that degrades rapidly under heavier loads.

tarquin1
950 posts
5 May 2020 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

No wonder the batteries were done by the sound of it.
No cant even go out on my SUP here. Still in full confinement until the 11th. Then things relax a little. No usage of pleasure craft allowed until June 1st. Things keep changing though.

Stockie
NSW, 343 posts
5 May 2020 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Hi Stockie,
I gotta say they look fantastic, you have to be chuffed with that result!
Is sewing with a Sailrite something us mere mortals can do? I've always wanted to give it a go but never tried it.
I'd love to have a go at making a proper boom tent, as I enjoy the design from nothing aspect, but my sewing skills are non -existent .
And yep, Seabreezers are a well of a skills that I feel lucky to have access to, and always freely and readily given to boot.
Cheers!
SB

Hey SB

Regarding the sewing, I would imagine you could turn your hand to it mate, reading your posts your the kind of owner that prefers to fix it himself. The sewing machine allows you to sew up pretty much everything you can throw at it!
making the stitch lines as nice as the pros is just a little practice. Getting the grounding to put together a project is made a lot easier swatting up on Sailrite "How To" section on its website. Plenty of marine projects there.

The Blue machine is one to get, with straight and zig zag, you can even repair your own sails.

cheers Richard

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Hi Stockie,
I gotta say they look fantastic, you have to be chuffed with that result!
Is sewing with a Sailrite something us mere mortals can do? I've always wanted to give it a go but never tried it.
I'd love to have a go at making a proper boom tent, as I enjoy the design from nothing aspect, but my sewing skills are non -existent .
And yep, Seabreezers are a well of a skills that I feel lucky to have access to, and always freely and readily given to boot.
Cheers!
SB

MEGAMAX
WA, 83 posts
5 May 2020 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

What did I do to my boat today? Checked the lines...there is a big stink of a wind tonight, already gusting 40 knots at my marina. If you are in WA south of Geraldton you are dong the same.

jbarnes85
VIC, 291 posts
5 May 2020 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Great to see I'm not the only one pottering about the boat Jbarnes! I like the timber bulwarks in thew cockpit, does that work as a back rest?

After replacing the house battery bank with 2x new 100A batteries, the moment of truth had arrived....

Indeed they are a back rest. Just something else to varnish and look after. Next job after I paint the deck.
pretty happy with my fibreglass skills. With a total of three days of experience my deck to hull join at the stern is looking a lot better. That ryobi tool is amazing for sculpting epoxy or anything else

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
12 May 2020 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Does virtual work on your boat count?
To keep myself learning whilst we've been stuck at home, I'm giving this 3d animation a go. The work flow looks something like 30% modelling, 30% texturing, and 30% lighting to make it work, I think I'm at the 0.2% modelling bit with a steep learning curve ahead .
This took the better part of a day and a night from go to whoa, helped a lot by having some reference images to get the proportions right.

This is playing around with the wind strength trying to emulate pressure lines, first gust is 30 knots, second is 40 knots. The software has a physics engine so you can emulate things like wind and then make the sail texture like cloth and force it to respond to the force " thingy", kinda cool.
Problems on this one I need to address:
-- There are rudders and a keel, they just stubbornly refuse to come out of the water...sigh.
-- I need to learn how to get the boat to respond to the wave action rather than sail a virtual line.
-- I need to texture the sail and hull a lot better, add more detail.
-- Add sheets that attach to and move with the clews.
-- Make the waves sharper without simultaneously enveloping the boat...double sigh.
Do you ever get the feeling you sometimes bite off more than you can chew?

jbarnes85
VIC, 291 posts
13 May 2020 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
To keep myself learning whilst we've been stuck at home, I'm giving this 3d animation a go. The work flow looks something like 30% modelling, 30% texturing, and 30% lighting to make it work, I think I'm at the 0.2% modelling bit with a steep learning curve ahead .
This took the better part of a day and a night from go to whoa, helped a lot by having some reference images to get the proportions right.

This is playing around with the wind strength trying to emulate pressure lines, first gust is 30 knots, second is 40 knots. The software has a physics engine so you can emulate things like wind and then make the sail texture like cloth and force it to respond to the force " thingy", kinda cool.
-- There are rudders and a keel, they just stubbornly refuse to come out of the water...sigh.
-- I need to learn how to get the boat to respond to the wave action rather than sail a virtual line.
-- Make the waves sharper without simultaneously enveloping the boat...double sigh.

What software are you using?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
13 May 2020 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbarnes85 said..

shaggybaxter said..

What software are you using?

G'day JB,
the software is called Blender, it's an industry driven freeware application that is used for a lot of CGI in films, really quite amazing in capability, just a bit complex to learn. I have no formal training or skills in this stuff, I'm just using the good old google questions, so someone with a modicum of skills could do a lot better than my efforts I'm sure.
Kinda fun to play with! I got the boat to follow the motion of the water early this morning, then I forgot to save it and lost it all....Aargh!
cheers,
SB

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
13 May 2020 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

I need to get out and go sailing. Worked out how to get it to follow the waves. I know, small things...

Achernar
QLD, 387 posts
14 May 2020 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

I wish you all the best, Shaggy. However, there is a saying I've heard about album production, which probably applies to animations as well, "Producing an album is like painting a bus with a toothbrush". Its all about detail, detail and more detail.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
16 May 2020 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

6 hours of sticker removal! I'm nearly a 1/4 way round the hull! Why because I love boats I think!

saltiest1
NSW, 2496 posts
16 May 2020 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
6 hours of sticker removal! I'm nearly a 1/4 way round the hull! Why because I love boats I think!

Just did mine. Razor, 240 to 2000 grit wet n dry and metho.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
16 May 2020 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..

southace said..

Dark blue is not a good colour it has crazed on both sides where it gets direct sunshine gets better forward of midshipships. But really the dark blue is the only colour to suit the boat so the newly ordered pin stripe is going back on before winter I hope at the least the starboard side!

saltiest1
NSW, 2496 posts
16 May 2020 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

saltiest1 said..

southace said..

Dark blue is not a good colour it has crazed on both sides where it gets direct sunshine gets better forward of midshipships. But really the dark blue is the only colour to suit the boat so the newly ordered pin stripe is going back on before winter I hope at the least the starboard side!

That's funny. Almost the same story with mine but all mine is topside. Light navy blue with gold pinstripe.

saltiest1
NSW, 2496 posts
16 May 2020 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

2 layers of the same decals

southace
SA, 4776 posts
16 May 2020 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..

2 layers of the same decals

It's a nightmare. Was thinking today I should roll two pack. Spoke to a mate he said why don't you roll two pack I told him to shut up!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
17 May 2020 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

10 hrs and now she's the white elephant! Looks ok but the pinstripe is going back on.

woko
NSW, 1592 posts
12 Jun 2020 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Had a couple of wet days so I thought to tidy up the midship locker, you know loose screws, threads, nuts, washers bla bla. While I was there I lifted the cabin sole in the locker and went down the rabbit hole.... Sitting in the garboard stringer was a brown crystline goo, had to be evaporated salt water. Further investigation revealed a leak from the wet part of the exhaust, the system is made of 2" gal pipe threaded 90s, Ts etc, but here's the nub, the last part of the gal pipe work that lays horizontalish before the Flexi rubber to the sea cock had as could be assumed had rusted through, but no, in fact the pipe appears to have been rolled and welded, the weld just happened to be down most and disintegrated, the remaining tube in good nick. Replaced Flexi and gal parts. ( that's so easy to say)While I was there with the area cleared it occurred to me to lift the cabin sole in that quarter (this means sawing out sections between frames as it was layed as a platform floor and furniture built on it) and have a good look at that that hasn't been seen since 1984 and Lo and behold it's in fair condition with only minimal rusting but it has been seen so now it has to be delt with...... All started with sorting out some loose screws !

saltiest1
NSW, 2496 posts
14 Jun 2020 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Finally brought the keel back to the 2.1metre draft it was meant to have. All lead and enjoyable to work with, cutting, planing and sanding. Last coats of primer going on now.

boty
QLD, 685 posts
15 Jun 2020 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..

Finally brought the keel back to the 2.1metre draft it was meant to have. All lead and enjoyable to work with, cutting, planing and sanding. Last coats of primer going on now.

great to see love the chainsaw one of my favorite boat building tools great to see any boat returned to the designers intended plan amazes me how everyone knows better than the guy who did the maths

saltiest1
NSW, 2496 posts
15 Jun 2020 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boty said..

saltiest1 said..

great to see love the chainsaw one of my favorite boat building tools great to see any boat returned to the designers intended plan amazes me how everyone knows better than the guy who did the maths

That chunk was 470 kg

southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Jun 2020 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..

boty said..

saltiest1 said..

That chunk was 470 kg

That chunk should pay for your slipping costs! I would be almost tempted to grab some to put in my bilge as mines a bit tender being shoal draft. Planing lead is a delight.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Jun 2020 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Good weather for painting the Deck head (ceiling) it's been 12 months since I did the first four square meters! 2 square meters to go tomorrow.
I hope the future owner doesn't want the all wood look!
I love boats.

saltiest1
NSW, 2496 posts
15 Jun 2020 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

saltiest1 said..

boty said..

saltiest1 said..

That chunk was 470 kg

That chunk should pay for your slipping costs! I would be almost tempted to grab some to put in my bilge as mines a bit tender being shoal draft. Planing lead is a delight.

Woolwich cost me $270 + a day so not quite covered for the 5 days and after Kettering was a bit of a surprise. Great crew and services here though. I'm just glad I can do all my own work.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Jun 2020 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..

southace said..

saltiest1 said..

boty said..

saltiest1 said..

That chunk was 470 kg

Woolwich cost me $270 + a day so not quite covered for the 5 days and after Kettering was a bit of a surprise. Great crew and services here though. I'm just glad I can do all my own work.

I have dealt with woolwich before. And Kettering been there. Hope it's all worth it just to get the extra draft. I was sitting on the bottom at 1.5 the other day could have moved 50 meters to me in 3 meters but was bottom of the tide so didn't see the point.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Jun 2020 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Tape off! Looking what I visualised. Love boats!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin