Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
fishmonkey
NSW, 494 posts
11 Apr 2016 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

heading home yesterday...

simmrr
WA, 194 posts
12 Apr 2016 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Just a bit of a play on the Swan with my new boat. Solo sailing for the first time. This was about 15 minutes before the rain came in and I looked like a drowned rat afterwards.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
13 Apr 2016 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeah! Of course it is the James Craig.
Wonderfully restored, ready to sail, and she does.

I am glad, the tiny help of emptying my pocket, every time when l visited her on the hard into the collection box, while under restoration, did support a worthy cause.

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
20 Apr 2016 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Left Greenwell Point at sunrise this morning on our way to Port Hacking.
Took a photo of this yacht moored near us.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
20 Apr 2016 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

great pic

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
20 Apr 2016 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
great pic

Thanks Andy, getting into photography now I am semi retired, love it!

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
20 Apr 2016 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
simmrr said..

Just a bit of a play on the Swan with my new boat. Solo sailing for the first time. This was about 15 minutes before the rain came in and I looked like a drowned rat afterwards.

Great stuff Simmrr!
I remember when I used to hire "surfcats" the Hobies always pooed over the Windrush.
Good fun on ya own too...

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Apr 2016 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful sun set Now and Zen thanks

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
21 Apr 2016 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NowandZen said..
Left Greenwell Point at sunrise this morning on our way to Port Hacking.
Took a photo of this yacht moored near us.

That little timber boat came off it's mooring a few weeks ago. Would like to know who the owner is and get it back to it's mooring.

I dived on my mooring after you left. Crystal clear water and a nice temperature. Had so much fun I'm doing it again this morning!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Apr 2016 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NowandZen said..

andy59 said..
great pic

Photography next year for me also when I retire

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
22 Apr 2016 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

NowandZen said..

andy59 said..
great pic

Photography next year for me also when I retire

Get an adventure camera as well so you can take underwater photos and videos of the underside of your boat, moorings etc. Adds to the whole experience and you can show the missus that you actually did do something today. You also can pick up details you missed while down there later in the comfort of your home.

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
3 May 2016 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

Called in to the famous Sydney Fish markets in Blackwattle Bay to sample some fresh produce from the deep.....yeah - nah.... not on a Monday stupid, everything closed
So, plan B, park the RIB 50m from the Kauri Hotel and have Barra, chips and salad for $14!! Yaay!

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
3 May 2016 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Great pic! What a fantastic place to hang out for a while!

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
4 May 2016 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Guitz said..
Great pic! What a fantastic place to hang out for a while!

Thanks Guitz!

Today we sailed from Sydney to Pittwater.
Brilliant sailing conditions, 10 - 15 knots ENE, bugger all swell on the way up.
Hope to spend the next week (at least) having a look around Pittwater and surrounds.

kurt88
NSW, 146 posts
5 May 2016 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

I saw a beautiful ocean going yacht anchored of Careel bay today. I motored past to have a closer look it was Now and Zen
what a great boat

southace
SA, 4762 posts
5 May 2016 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Now n zen is bullet proof! Not sure about the motley crew! Hope he makes his way to refuge cove. There's a bottle shop at Brooklyn Marina Btw

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
6 May 2016 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Kurt - we try hard to keep her looking good.

Thanks Southace, we will check out Refuge Cove AND the Brooklyn Marina.

Sectorsteve
QLD, 2195 posts
6 May 2016 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Also bottelo palm beach. Pick up a mooring by the park. Walk south 150m. Also cottage point sells booze but pricey. At the cafe there.

Sectorsteve
QLD, 2195 posts
6 May 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

I was out sailing around north head at about 11. Think i mayhave seen you set sail. I was in black hulled boat.
I reccomend a night chilling under barrenjoey head. Lovely clear water. Great snorkel. Cotten tree bay past cottage point is lovely. Cottage point cafe is nice for breaky too. Your boY might be too big but in mine i can raft up to pontoon.early mornings. Fuel and water there. All the beaches in pittwater are lovely. Basins great during the week. Lotsa nice beaches on south side of hawkesburry river once you round west head if you like beaches to yourself. America bay great for a fresh waterfall shower -on weekdays. If you need a proper supermarket theres mona vale. Aldi etc but youd have to go right up pittwater. Ettalongs nice water on north side. Moorings there and supermarkets short walk from beach. Right now no swell but theres a surf break in the channel between umina and ettalong.
Jealous!!! Ive just got back from.2.days cruising around and.miss it.already. enjoy!

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
6 May 2016 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sectorsteve said..
I was out sailing around north head at about 11. Think i mayhave seen you set sail. I was in black hulled boat.

We didn't leave Manly until 1pm - maybe a case of mistaken identity!!

Sectorsteve
QLD, 2195 posts
6 May 2016 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe but i was around there then! I head south to near the gap then changed my mind and headed north and went right around to shelly beach big manly side for a look.. Did you see the big seal? I stayed at manly too wed night. Where were you?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 May 2016 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sectorsteve said...
I reccomend a night chilling under barrenjoey head. Lovely clear water. Great snorkel. Cotten tree bay past cottage point is lovely. Cottage point cafe is nice for breaky too. Your boY might be too big but in mine i can raft up to pontoon.early mornings. Fuel and water there. All the beaches in pittwater are lovely. Basins great during the week. Lotsa nice beaches on south side of hawkesburry river once you round west head if you like beaches to yourself. America bay great for a fresh waterfall shower -on weekdays. If you need a proper supermarket theres mona vale. Aldi etc but youd have to go right up pittwater. Ettalongs nice water on north side. Moorings there and supermarkets short walk from beach. Right now no swell but theres a surf break in the channel between umina and ettalong.
Jealous!!! Ive just got back from.2.days cruising around and.miss it.already. enjoy!

i cant wait to do the same next year
is there a good book on cruising the nooks and crannies of NSW bay and water ways

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
6 May 2016 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sectorsteve said..
Maybe but i was around there then! I head south to near the gap then changed my mind and headed north and went right around to shelly beach big manly side for a look.. Did you see the big seal? I stayed at manly too wed night. Where were you?

We just called in for lunch, then left for Pittwater about 1pm.

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
6 May 2016 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

I think lucas's book is best

southace
SA, 4762 posts
6 May 2016 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

I have one somewhere I will dig it out and send it to you sometime Ho2 I think it's called cruising the Hawkesbury river.

Windjana
WA, 393 posts
15 May 2016 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately we have to leave Lake MacQuarie after only a fleeting visit.
What a great place, we will come back.
Next stop is Port Stephens tomorrow.
Exiting the lake through the bridge into a strong current is interesting!
Here's a sunset photo showing the bridge and the Swansea RSL on the left.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
15 May 2016 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NowandZen said..
Unfortunately we have to leave Lake MacQuarie after only a fleeting visit.
What a great place, we will come back.
Next stop is Port Stephens tomorrow.
Exiting the lake through the bridge into a strong current is interesting!
Here's a sunset photo showing the bridge and the Swansea RSL on the left.

This quote was posted on instagram by wanderlustsailor, the best description of a sunset I have read:
"A large drop of sun lingered on the horizon and then dripped over and was gone, and the sky was brilliant over the spot where it had gone, and a torn cloud, like a bloody rag, hung over the spot of its going.
And dusk crept over the sky from the eastern horizon, and darkness crept over the land from the east." ~ John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2517 posts
17 May 2016 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,
Thought I'd share our last outing, this was our local race series on the weekend. Sad thing was the weather gods were frowning on the Pogo, I think the highest wind speed recorded was 8 knots down to 0 knots !! Not exactly optimal conditions for us, but it was a great day on the water with a bunch of good friends.
Props to Kelly from VMR Shorncliffe for the photos, and also to Thomas for giving us the first photos I have of her on the water. I owe you a beer Kelly!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2016 5:38AM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff shaggy

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
18 May 2016 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Shaggy. The light airs are a good opportunity to practice and perfect spinnaker handling techniques. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog