Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
18 May 2016 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Not ideal conditions for the Pogo. Even my little S and S 34 might have been able to keep you in sight.

crustysailor
VIC, 869 posts
18 May 2016 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^a nice boat from any angle.

When do the davits, solar panels, gas bottles, flagstaff,closeline, bbq, dodger, boarding ladder, tv antenna, radar dome,cockpit table, drink holders,swim platform and birdscarers go on?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
18 May 2016 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Andy,
Your S & S would horizon me!

Hi Crusty,
I had a weak moment and bent to my cruiser mode, so I added.....a swim ladder!

Windjana
WA, 391 posts
27 May 2016 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Climbed Mutton Bird Rock Coffs Harbour.
Thats' Now&Zen all by itself between the old jetty and the Marina breakwall LHS of picture.
We got in at 2100hrs after a very cloudy and windy day, having left Port MacQuarie at 0830hrs. We had the intention of anchoring overnight at Trial Bay,
but it was too windy from the North West and not looking like easing over night.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
27 May 2016 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Well done you.

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
29 May 2016 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Brought 'Soliloque of Searle' back home to York Cove left Seaport Launceston at 6am in the dark not much fun in 3degrees and thick fog for 45 nautical miles

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 May 2016 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Parkster

You have to love Tassie weather

Yesterday the forecast down here was a maximum of 12 degrees, showers and only about 5 knots of breeze so it didn't look much good for sailing

Yesterday morning was bright and sunny, felt warmer than 12 degrees with a light breeze blowing but we had a couple of things to do so couldn't go out

Around lunch time conditions were much the same so i called a mate and asked him if he was interested in going for a sail and he was keen but had to be back at the mooring at 3.30 so we set off down the river for a couple of hours

Half a hour later it started to rain, the wind died and we sat in the middle of the river getting wet, cold and going nowhere

Shortly after the wind picked up to probably 8 knots and we had about 10 minutes of good sailing until once again the wind died to nothing

Started the engine and motored 30 mins back up the river, dropped the sails and picked up the mooring and packed her away just as the clouds cleared, the sun came out and the wind picked up

Even with the cold weather, rain and lack of wind it was still nice to be out on the water

Regards Don

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
29 May 2016 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

I managed to get out on Saturday with two mates and five kids, later than I'd hoped, off the dock at 11am. The forecast was a drop down to low teens at lunchtime, so I wasn't hoping for much.
With kids on board and a fickle forecast, we threw a reef in the main and set the staysail, the headed around Green island and set a course for Moreton, nice easy broad reach..then the wind started picking up..and up..
Before we knew it, we had gusts over 30knots true averaging 10kn boat speed, grins all round and the kids yahooing like nobody's business.
My jaw was starting to hurt from the idiotic grinning. We get to the channel to Tangalooma on Moreton, quick time check, it had only taken 2 hours!
We turned before the channel and close reached back, punching into it, average of 9kn with two reefs and a staysail. Wet,exhilarating and best of all the kids loved every minute of it.
Fingertip steering, not even the hint of a broach. We were still planing at 75 twa, I'm still grinning

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 May 2016 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Parkster said..
Brought 'Soliloque of Searle' back home to York Cove left Seaport Launceston at 6am in the dark not much fun in 3degrees and thick fog for 45 nautical miles

You purchased that Cabin heater yet Parkster? Id put a set of deck fog lights on the list also

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 May 2016 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Went out to the boat today to sort out a few things took the helm out to set in roughly its position . Happy so far I have a smaller wheel at home if I need it but Ill see how the 700mm goes for now

Ive been wondering about setting up my ropes back to the cockpit to pick up the old non self tailers in the cockpit and add a couple of self tailers for the genoa sheets further aft. adding the tides marine sail track and bearinged sheaths I a hoping to reduce fiction
So I ran a rope line along the cabin side see how it would run and if it lined up to the cockpit winch and it will .
So Ill start making and or buy some bearinged sheaths . to change the rope direction along the cabin side from the front corner of the cabin side.
In doing this the cabin top will be rope free if it works out ok

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 May 2016 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

wrong thread sorry I accidently posted in the wrong thread

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 May 2016 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
Hi Guys,
Thought I'd share our last outing, this was our local race series on the weekend. Sad thing was the weather gods were frowning on the Pogo, I think the highest wind speed recorded was 8 knots down to 0 knots !! Not exactly optimal conditions for us, but it was a great day on the water with a bunch of good friends.
Props to Kelly from VMR Shorncliffe for the photos, and also to Thomas for giving us the first photos I have of her on the water. I owe you a beer Kelly!

Hi Shaggy

Is that a sock on your spinnaker

regards Don

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
29 May 2016 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Don,
Yes mate, the spinnaker is a snuffer, haul in the sheet, blow the tackline and it snuffs pretty easily. You can do it single handed. The gennaker by comparison is a furler.

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
1 Jun 2016 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

First day of winter on Western Port.
Putting my new tiller pilot through its paces

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
1 Jun 2016 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Not a breath of wind capt_newmo

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
1 Jun 2016 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Today was out for 6 hours and the jib never left the deck glass all day, Yesterday was better with just above 5kn in the morning but it died out in the afternoon to glass

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
5 Jun 2016 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Finally, a chance to get Fusion out in a bit of breeze today. It was blowing 25 knots whilst at the dock, so we set two reefs in the main, and a reef in the staysail just to be cautious. Turned out we were underpowered, but we had gusts over 40knots true, and hardly anything below 30 for a couple of hours.
Great fun, but a loose main sheet wrapped itself around a wheel, the boom came across and kiss goodbye the wheel. That's heavy air sailing for you!
Great day.
Edit: the Selkie on the helm in 30 knots making it look easy!

[URL=.html] [/URL]

lydia
1710 posts
5 Jun 2016 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Shaggy, so where are the up wind pics?
it is a hard audience!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
5 Jun 2016 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Taken in a girlie moment when I didn't have to hang on just to sit at the chart table!
Note the performance against polars, 101%..woohoo!
The best against polars I saw was 104% at about 12 knots boat speed. I would have loved to check when we were doing 14's plus, but my 9yr old was distracting me as she bounced around the cabin

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
5 Jun 2016 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Lydia,
Aftermath of the main sheet on that tack, managed to take weird little chunks from the knee to the lower shin. Starting to stiffen up, but still grinning though!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
6 Jun 2016 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,
Short video from our sail on Moreton Bay on Sunday, hope you like it!

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
6 Jun 2016 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Not a bad run you had there. Are you having plans for offshore racing as well?

Used to crew at Manly and Shornecliff few years back but even the B50 was slow compared to your run on the video.
Happy sailing Shaggy!

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
6 Jun 2016 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NowandZen said..
Thats' Now&Zen all by itself between the old jetty and the Marina breakwall LHS of picture.
We got in at 2100hrs after a very cloudy and windy day, having left Port MacQuarie at 0830hrs. We had the intention of anchoring overnight at Trial Bay,
but it was too windy from the North West and not looking like easing over night.

You did the right thing as far as Trail Bay is concerned as you would have been on a Lee shore

How did you survive the storm in Coffs Marina?

Windjana
WA, 391 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

NowandZen said..

You did the right thing as far as Trail Bay is concerned as you would have been on a Lee shore

How did you survive the storm in Coffs Marina?

Yeah, we are at the bottom end of Moreton Bay at the moment.
We noticed they were preparing to do some upgrades of the NE marina wall at Coffs, a bit late I'd say.
Luckily we have been north of where all the bad weather has been, but I have been thinking how we would've faired in the places we have stopped if we had of been 2 weeks behind in our travels......

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

You could water ski behind that Shaggy

lydia
1710 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

HG02, the plan is to get 4 good drivers and 2 good bowman go out to Cape Moreton and wait for the next good westerly gale.
Set up on starboard gybe and blast out into the Tasman, current assisted, and see how close you get to 400 miles before 24 hours is up.
Shaggy just doesn't know we are borrowing the boat for a few days soon.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
7 Jun 2016 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
HG02, the plan is to get 4 good drivers and 2 good bowman go out to Cape Moreton and wait for the next good westerly gale.
Set up on starboard gybe and blast out into the Tasman, current assisted, and see how close you get to 400 miles before 24 hours is up.

Somehow I can't see the Shagster's boat surviving for too long in conditions required to do a 400nm/day run.
Maybe you need to hunt down Beowulf and try with that, Steve and Linda Dashew got very close, I don't know if they managed it.

lydia
1710 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

I am pretty sure the boat will be fine and as usual the people are the problem!
BTW the class 40 two handed 24 hr record is now near to 400nm.
besides where is your sense of humour?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

LooseChange said..

lydia said..

Somehow I can't see the Shagster's boat surviving for too long in conditions required to do a 400nm/day run.
Maybe you need to hunt down Beowulf and try with that, Steve and Linda Dashew got very close, I don't know if they managed it.

Geez Loose, that's a bit harsh.
The 12.50 shares the same hull as a Class 40. Vacuum infused, 26mm thick.
Structures have never lost a rig on a 40 or 12.50, and they're all CF.
A 12.50 did a 2700nm cruising race in 10 days 20 hours.
Lots of reports of sustained 20+ knot runs.
A 12.50 did the North West Passage, and the only change was kevlar re-enforcing on the rudders. www.mirandamerron.com/the-beautiful-north/

I spent two years research and spoke to builders all over the world to build the toughest, comfortable and yet still quick 40'ftr boat I could find.
Why wouldn't it survive a 400nm attempt?

southace
SA, 4761 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

I

Shaggybaxter said..

LooseChange said..

lydia said..

Geez Loose, that's a bit harsh.
The 12.50 shares the same hull as a Class 40. Vacuum infused, 26mm thick.
Structures have never lost a rig on a 40 or 12.50, and they're all CF.
A 12.50 did a 2700nm cruising race in 10 days 20 hours.
Lots of reports of sustained 20+ knot runs.
A 12.50 did the North West Passage, and the only change was kevlar re-enforcing on the rudders. www.mirandamerron.com/the-beautiful-north/

I spent two years research and spoke to builders all over the world to build the toughest, comfortable and yet still quick 40'ftr boat I could find.
Why wouldn't it survive a 400nm attempt?

I got 14.5knts Max down the east coast of Tassie in 20 to 25 knots in my old Dunc 37 what where you doing Shaggy dragging a bucket?

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog