Armstrong 1550 with 232 tail

Created by kobo > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2020
hilly
WA, 7323 posts
12 Mar 2020 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Filow said..
Curious to see the UNY TAIL compared to the HS tail and the modified one. Hilly would you have this ?

Biggest difference is thickness. That makes the uni tail slow. 0.6mm washer worked. planning to use the +1 with 1200 1550 and 2400 most of the time.

hanza1111
84 posts
15 Mar 2020 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting reading here!

Has anyone got a comparison: axis HA1000 (or 900) to the Armstrong 1550?

I'll mostly be winging, and sup foil sometimes, and currently on axis 920, 720.

People been recommending Armstrong, but haven't had the chance to try high aspect axis wings yet, so thanks for any comparisons. Cheers!

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
15 Mar 2020 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hanza1111 said..

People been recommending Armstrong, but haven't had the chance to try high aspect axis wings yet, so thanks for any comparisons. Cheers!

foilsurfing.net/hydros-armstrong-axis-comparison/

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
15 Mar 2020 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

hanza1111 said..

foilsurfing.net/hydros-armstrong-axis-comparison/

I had a 900 & now have the 1550 & think Steve summed it up pretty good, if you have any other questions hit me up.

MidAtlanticFoil
719 posts
8 Apr 2020 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a tip if your wing/fuselage/mast connections are too tight on your Armstrong rig. I ordered an 85 cm mast for winging and my fuselage wouldn't slide in far enough to even see the screw holes. I luckily had a flat metal file that fit perfectly into the mast connection. First I used a paint marker to scribble all over the fuselage connection and then shoved it in a few times to see where it was scuffed/rubbing more. A few minutes with the file working on the tight spots and I was in business.

I was freaked out for a second that I would need to send it back for a replacement. Also, if you are going to hammer your fuse free of a tight mast connection, make sure you insert some screws, as my titanium core started to slide out on me. Few taps the other direction and it was golden.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
8 Apr 2020 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting , I have only one mast so I don't take it out often , only for travel but that's good to know.My wings are a very snug fit on the tapered fuse and if I don't have something to tap them off I find twisting the wing on the fuse and pulling at the same time does the trick. I've gotten used to the 232 tail nowadays and I wouldn't go back for proning , Pumps fantastic and super loose . I'm on the 60 fuse and can't imagine needing the 50 or the tail chopped to 212, I'm wondering if weight plays a role here, I'm 84kg and I remember hilly saying at 105 he didn't like the smaller tail so much.Seems at your weight the short fuse and tail work great.Maybe I'm just a kook and can't handle it too much performance

MidAtlanticFoil
719 posts
8 Apr 2020 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

I spent months on the 70 fuse, then the 60, and now use the 50 mainly if the waves aren't chest high or bigger. I haven't used it with the 1050 yet. I chopped my 232 tail and then ordered a replacement 232 so I could have it in the quiver and have been using the standard 232 mostly. So fun to try and formulate the best setup for the given conditions, ie winging/surfing/suping, wave size etc. So many variables and combinations to consider. I have noticed that the 50 fuselage seems to reduce exit glide when pulling tighter gybes when winging.

I agree that weight makes a big difference for fuse length and tail size 'feel'. I bet stance width also has an effect.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
9 Apr 2020 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MidAtlanticFoil said..
I spent months on the 70 fuse, then the 60, and now use the 50 mainly if the waves aren't chest high or bigger. I haven't used it with the 1050 yet. I chopped my 232 tail and then ordered a replacement 232 so I could have it in the quiver and have been using the standard 232 mostly. So fun to try and formulate the best setup for the given conditions, ie winging/surfing/suping, wave size etc. So many variables and combinations to consider. I have noticed that the 50 fuselage seems to reduce exit glide when pulling tighter gybes when winging.

I agree that weight makes a big difference for fuse length and tail size 'feel'. I bet stance width also has an effect.

Skyrama said he's gone back to the 60 fuse because he wants more Gs in the turns again ,which is exactly what your losing with the 50 fuse. He recons a 55 would be perfect for him......it never ends

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
9 Apr 2020 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

MidAtlanticFoil said..

Skyrama said he's gone back to the 60 fuse because he wants more Gs in the turns again ,which is exactly what your losing with the 50 fuse. He recons a 55 would be perfect for him......it never ends

Yes, I heard the same - almost ordered the 50 but changed to 60 last minute. Glad I did because I think the 60 with 212 stab is about as loose as I'm gonna need for a while.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
9 Apr 2020 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

kobo said..

MidAtlanticFoil said..

Yes, I heard the same - almost ordered the 50 but changed to 60 last minute. Glad I did because I think the 60 with 212 stab is about as loose as I'm gonna need for a while.

Yep I'm on the 60 with 232 tail and it's all I need

Cygnify
QLD, 123 posts
24 Apr 2020 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Just checking in as some of you guys have being using the 50cm fuselage for a big longer now and have more feedback, is it worth getting?
I ride the 1200/1550 combo with 232 tail +1 exclusively and 60cm fuselage currently.

willow75
28 posts
24 Apr 2020 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

I have played with all the fuse's as well, for winging with the 1200 & 1550hs wing - with 85cm & 100cm mast. I went to the 50 fuse on the 100 mast as I wanted more looseness - Which it did achieve.

But - It was reduced my upwind pointing a lot. It did make the set up really loose and fun - But not enough upwind performance for me... I will go back to the 60, but with the +1 on the tail, and even try the +2 (add a washer).

If I didn't need to go upwind, I would probably stick with the 50 fuse though as its great fun!!

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
24 Apr 2020 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

You lose a bit of the acceleration in the turns with the 50 fuse , lighter riders 60-70 kg find it good but the heavier you are the 60 works better

Cygnify
QLD, 123 posts
24 Apr 2020 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yea I'm 72kg so just above. Only prone foiling these days as well.

Might be worth getting one at some stage then.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
24 Apr 2020 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

If your looking for more performance, I'd chop your stab before buying a shorter fuse - much cheaper option & makes a big difference imo.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
24 Apr 2020 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
willow75 said..
I have played with all the fuse's as well, for winging with the 1200 & 1550hs wing - with 85cm & 100cm mast. I went to the 50 fuse on the 100 mast as I wanted more looseness - Which it did achieve.

But - It was reduced my upwind pointing a lot. It did make the set up really loose and fun - But not enough upwind performance for me... I will go back to the 60, but with the +1 on the tail, and even try the +2 (add a washer).

If I didn't need to go upwind, I would probably stick with the 50 fuse though as its great fun!!

Hey Willow,
Which mast do you prefer for winging the 85 or 100?

Camarillo
367 posts
5 May 2020 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

willow75 said..

Hey Willow,

I suppose the 72 cm is too short for winging except in really flat water? The 72 mast is a must have for sup foiling and getting a second mast is expensive....

MidAtlanticFoil
719 posts
5 May 2020 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..

kobo said..

willow75 said..

Hey Willow,

I suppose the 72 cm is too short for winging except in really flat water? The 72 mast is a must have for sup foiling and getting a second mast is expensive....

I wouldn't say the 72 is too short for choppy water. I learned on that mast before getting the 85. The main difference for me is less time in the water now. I would usually breach on gybes where I would turn on a swell and get a bit overpowered and loose a bit of balance so I couldn't correct flight level quick enough. There was no issue for me riding straight across wind for example, even with 2 foot river wind chop.
the 85 mast gives that extra bit of room for error so I can now go out and basically not breach for an entire session. The cost is insane though. They second reason I got the 85 mast was the ability to have two complete Armstrong setups so I can share with my friends.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
5 May 2020 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..

kobo said..

willow75 said..

Hey Willow,

Winged pretty solid Bombie waves on a 72 the other day. It is doable but an 85 would be better. If you have the cash get one. I don't because heaps of places I sup foil and wing have shallow reef. 72 is way better then.

willow75
28 posts
6 May 2020 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

I have mostly gone back to the 85cm mast for everyday use, I had the 72.5 before and found I breached too much especially in waves..

The 100 mast was fun, as so much height, but I couldn't throw it around as much - maybe for a bigger rider you could get away with it? I'm only 60kg so the mast kinda controlled me rather than the other way around! For rough water/big waves I reckon it was good, and definitely for any towing into big waves. But for everyday winging and as an all around the 85 seems a good balance.

Filow
225 posts
6 May 2020 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone rode the 1550 and the Go Foil GL ? curious to know if the GL are really better for speed

willow75
28 posts
7 May 2020 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

I have used both - You can only compare the wings that have similar area - ie GL180 is around 1160cm2 I think? So its closest to the Armstrong 1200? Very different concepts - GL more locked in straight line, but hard to turn and flow.

Found this link : www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Foiling/Armstrong-1550HA-GOFOIL-GL-comparison?page=1

JOSHSB
WA, 23 posts
15 May 2020 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Good read fellas, alot of great info here.
Had my first session on the 1550- 60 fuse- 232 tail and 0? shim for prone.
I found today after take off and when getting to higher speeds the wing wanted to dive down a bit. Side note- I had the foil all the way forward in the box and it happen to me again when kite foiling it in the afternoon.
My other brand foils needed more and more front foot pressure after speed increases.
Has anyone else experienced this on the 1550 or do I just need to get behind the mast more with my back foot???
Cheers

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
15 May 2020 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JOSHSB said.I just need to get behind the mast more with my back foot???
Cheers

Yes

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
16 May 2020 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JOSHSB said..
I found today after take off and when getting to higher speeds the wing wanted to dive down a bit. Side note- I had the foil all the way forward in the box and it happen to me again when kite foiling it in the afternoon.
My other brand foils needed more and more front foot pressure after speed increases.
Has anyone else experienced this on the 1550 or do I just need to get behind the mast more with my back foot???
Cheers

I find the 1550 feels a bit like riding a normal surfboard - more back footed than most foils I have tried.

& I like it

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
16 May 2020 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

JOSHSB said..
Cheers

I find the 1550 feels a bit like riding a normal surfboard - more back footed than most foils I have tried.

& I like it

Ditto, love the balanced feel of the Armstrong, proned today on some solid 6' swells using the 1200,232,+1 shim and it was fantastic, super fast big walls and with the 1200 setup it was a joy to foil , nice balanced ride in some bigger swells.
Even managed to pump well on the 1200 which surprised me, I think the extra speed on exit really helped there.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
16 May 2020 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

After whatching Sky's latest clip, think I'll have to get myself a 1050 to go with my 1550.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
16 May 2020 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I got the 1200 but maybe the 1050 would have been the go, mind you I don't feel like I need anymore performance at this point, I use the 1550 90% of the time and the 1200 when it's gets bigger.Listning to Tom Carroll on foiling podcast ,he started on gofoil then went to signature and one other type and now is frothing on Armstrong recons it improved his riding heaps,which is what I found as well.

JOSHSB
WA, 23 posts
17 May 2020 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Toppleover yeah i feel what you mean.
I turned my 2 front bolts around in the mast plate and gained a extra 1.5-2cm forward in the box and that made it feel so much more balance between feet.
I'm 65kg and I'm surprised at how far forward in the box I'm riding the 1550. The middle of my back foot is sitting straight over the trailing edge of the mast.

emmafoils
307 posts
17 May 2020 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

I am seeing some rumors of a high aspect Armstrong wing (between 1600 and 2400). Any info?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong 1550 with 232 tail" started by kobo