Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong HS 1850

Created by kobo > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2020
KB7
NSW, 108 posts
31 Jul 2020 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Kobo,

I bought the 1850 from Kite Power. They had 2 arrive today but I think they both sold already, give the shop a call. I was not 100% decided until the helpful comments on this post.

I only Kite with the 800 and 1050 (recently) I've written a review on the Kite Foil forum. They are both very fast capable of mid 40K Kph without too much effort. I can easily chase down and overrun the swell here. The 1050 has very good low wind capability and turns almost as tight as the 800 but really nice glide you feel the engagement with the wave similar to the 1200. I will still use the 800 for powered up blasting or riding in big waves. No plans to sell any yet.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
31 Jul 2020 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks KB7, Thats great info I'm interested in both the 1850 and the 1050 for different uses .I have the 1200 and 1550 and mainly prone surf. I would be keen to hear your thoughts on the 1850 after you had a chance to use it some.
Cheers Kobo

MidAtlanticFoil
719 posts
31 Jul 2020 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KB7 said..
Kobo,

I bought the 1850 from Kite Power. They had 2 arrive today but I think they both sold already, give the shop a call. I was not 100% decided until the helpful comments on this post.

I only Kite with the 800 and 1050 (recently) I've written a review on the Kite Foil forum. They are both very fast capable of mid 40K Kph without too much effort. I can easily chase down and overrun the swell here. The 1050 has very good low wind capability and turns almost as tight as the 800 but really nice glide you feel the engagement with the wave similar to the 1200. I will still use the 800 for powered up blasting or riding in big waves. No plans to sell any yet.

KB7,

I just traded someone my 1200 for an 800 to hopefully use Winging when it is nuking. I'm able to get up on the 1050 with a 5M in around 20mph, so I'm hoping the 800 will be doable for me (only 65kgs). When kiting, does the 800 require a noticeable higher forward speed for liftoff?

Cheers!

G

emmafoils
307 posts
31 Jul 2020 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hanza1111 said..
Hey Armstrong people. It is tempting to update my axis 920 to 1850 (finally an army wing to substitute?! As could only really afford one wing to start with!).

On mast length. I'm happy with axis 75cm for sup foil and wing.
Mainly wing now but do love the odd sup foil session.
Are you guys happy with the Army 72cm mast for everything? Or would the 85cm be better for mainly winging and the odd sup foil session? Too much mast for most small wave sup foil sessions, slower rail to rail?
Army masts ain't cheap!
I read most of you happy with the 72cm for winging etc...
Cheers

The 72 is probably the most versatile choice and is good for most conditions though I prefer my 85 for down wind winging on bigger days.

JOSHSB
WA, 23 posts
31 Jul 2020 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone experienced their wings being too loose when they slide it onto the fuse? My 1550 is super sloppy. It can slide on with no friction at all. It has around 1cm drop and rise at the wingtip when pushed up and down (with no screws) .
My 1850 is a very snug fit with no play at all. Which is awesome! (with no screws in)
Any one else's wing loose like this?.
Cheers

MidAtlanticFoil
719 posts
1 Aug 2020 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JOSHSB said..
Has anyone experienced their wings being too loose when they slide it onto the fuse? My 1550 is super sloppy. It can slide on with no friction at all. It has around 1cm drop and rise at the wingtip when pushed up and down (with no screws) .
My 1850 is a very snug fit with no play at all. Which is awesome! (with no screws in)
Cheers

All my wings have all been snug for the most part. 1cm of play seems suspect. Was it that way since day one? I would shine a flashlight into the wing connection to see if there's any degradation showing.

On a kite forum, there was one guy incoherently bashing on Armstrong because it looked like he had a bad wing or rode with the screws extremely loose by mistake (guy was like a 240 pounder).

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
1 Aug 2020 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JOSHSB said..
Cheers

JOHSHB, yes had the same , I sanded with fine paper the inside of the wing connection with paper glued to a wooden stick the same width as the flat section.I did this so the 2k clearcoat would stick to the inside of the wing and not rub off later. I used a thin long handled brush and lightly coated all the inside surfaces with 2k clear.I stood the wing on end to let any excess drain out overnight.Be careful it doesn't take much at all to make it fit snug, I only put on a very thin coat of the 2k clear and it was too much.The wing fitted leaving a 1 inch gap like the others described so I had to sand a little off to get it to fit.I left it so I have to tap it tight with my hand to line up the screws.I have used it heaps now and it's still a perfect-tight fit every time and doesn't rely on the screws at all.I decided to coat the wing and not the fuse because I only use one fuse and a couple of wings.Seems like all the new wings might be made slightly tighter which means you only need to sand lightly to get a perfect fit.You could use epoxy resin but I would only coat maybe 3 surfaces as it's a lot thicker.

JOSHSB
WA, 23 posts
1 Aug 2020 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
JOHSHB, yes had the same , I sanded with fine paper the inside of the wing connection with paper glued to a wooden stick the same width as the flat section.I did this so the 2k clearcoat would stick to the inside of the wing and not rub off later. I used a thin long handled brush and lightly coated all the inside surfaces with 2k clear.I stood the wing on end to let any excess drain out overnight.Be careful it doesn't take much at all to make it fit snug, I only put on a very thin coat of the 2k clear and it was too much.The wing fitted leaving a 1 inch gap like the others described so I had to sand a little off to get it to fit.I left it so I have to tap it tight with my hand to line up the screws.I have used it heaps now and it's still a perfect-tight fit every time and doesn't rely on the screws at all.I decided to coat the wing and not the fuse because I only use one fuse and a couple of wings.Seems like all the new wings might be made slightly tighter which means you only need to sand lightly to get a perfect fit.You could use epoxy resin but I would only coat maybe 3 surfaces as it's a lot thicker.

MidAtlanticFoil- yeah it was like that when I got it. Having never ridden Armstrong before I did think it was a little loose but normal. The screws stop 95% of the movement so I didn't think much of it until I fitted the HS1850.

Kobo- That's a great idea, ill do that for sure.
I slid a very thin section of plastic inside the wing on 1 flat surface and tried to put it on and it was too tight. So clear coat would be ideal to get a even layer on all 6 edges. I will be doing that today and post how it goes!
Cheers for the replies!!

Foilnut
174 posts
1 Aug 2020 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

For winging what are recommendations for Armstrong on the fuse length (60/70/80) and mast length (72/85/95) if using the HS1550 or 1850 foil? I am a new winger riding SS i99 but looking for lighter carbon kit. I am using both 5.4SS and 4.2 FOne

KB7
NSW, 108 posts
1 Aug 2020 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Mid Atlantic Foil,

I think for you at 65Kg trading the 1200 for the 800 was a good call.

The 800 comes up quicker than you might think, the real difference is the amount of wind you need to keep it up and to track upwind. You need constant wind if you are in a place with allot of lulls then you have to bare away to keep speed up and hence struggle to make ground which is annoying. The 1050 in the same lulls coasts though them and still grinds upwind.

So just accept that find your wind minimum and only use it then, I would think around 20 - 23Knots with the 4m or 5 m wing. You are lucky to be able to ride such a small fast foil. Get the lightest smallest wing board you can ride and the 800 in 20- 25knots will be a jumping machine!!

Cheers KB7

windrider323
VIC, 48 posts
2 Aug 2020 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all
at 103 kg and sup up to head high waves would you be getting the 1850 or 1550. ?Thanks

tinka
QLD, 77 posts
2 Aug 2020 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windrider323 said..
Hi all
at 103 kg and sup up to head high waves would you be getting the 1850 or 1550. ?Thanks

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
2 Aug 2020 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Speaking of shims, I was messaging Armie on Insta & he recommend for me to try +2 on the 1550. He also mentioned an Armstrong tuning kit to be released soon.

tinka
QLD, 77 posts
2 Aug 2020 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..
Speaking of shims, I was messaging Armie on Insta & he recommend for me to try a +2 on the 1550. He also mentioned an Armstrong tuning kit to be released soon.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
2 Aug 2020 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
barney64 said..
toppleover said..
Speaking of shims, I was messaging Armie on Insta & he recommend for me to try a +2 on the 1550. He also mentioned an Armstrong tuning kit to be released soon.

plus 2 gives more lift but apparently slows it down.Tuning kit?

No +2

-2 Degree: For learning, larger boards/people and windsurf freeride. Tail has more downforce giving front wing more lift at lower speeds and better Yaw (directional) stability.
Zero Degree: is best with the CF800 wing at higher speeds kiting or tow surfing and good all around with the CF1200 and CF1600 wings.
+1 Degree: For more top end speed control on all wings and better pump for advanced riders looking to maximise glide and to Down Wind Foil. During a drop or speed spike the +1 helps keep the wing in the water and adds control during turns.

If you would like to experiment with one of the other TTFs, click on the 'Add to cart', in the notes please state which degree TTF you would like.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

barney64 said..

toppleover said..

No +2

-2 Degree: For learning, larger boards/people and windsurf freeride. Tail has more downforce giving front wing more lift at lower speeds and better Yaw (directional) stability.
Zero Degree: is best with the CF800 wing at higher speeds kiting or tow surfing and good all around with the CF1200 and CF1600 wings.
+1 Degree: For more top end speed control on all wings and better pump for advanced riders looking to maximise glide and to Down Wind Foil. During a drop or speed spike the +1 helps keep the wing in the water and adds control during turns.

If you would like to experiment with one of the other TTFs, click on the 'Add to cart', in the notes please state which degree TTF you would like.

Yes the +2 has not been released yet so I plan on using a 2mm washer for same result.

I'm using a +1 now, so don't expect to notice much difference.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm confused ,is there a +2 shim ? There is a -2 one.
I emailed Armstrong and they said there was only -2,0 and +1

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
2 Aug 2020 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

hilly said..

barney64 said..

toppleover said..

No +2

Yes the +2 has not been released yet so I plan on using a 2mm washer for same result.

I'm using a +1 now, so don't expect to notice much difference.

The Plus 1 speeds it up with less drag. Will try it wingdinging with the 1850.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

I am familiar with the -2,0 and +1 shims I mainly use the +1 nowadays,But a +2 doesn't exist according to Armstrong.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

The +2 shim has not been released yet but will be soon - according to Armie.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry I just expanded last message , I see the +2 hasn't been released yet.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

kobo said..

Hey Toppleover, have you tried the washer to simulate the +2 ? and if so how did it go

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

toppleover said..

kobo said..

Hey Toppleover, have you tried the washer to simulate the +2 ? and if so how did it go

Not yet but will later this week mate.

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Ok thanks,I finally chopped my tail and been riding it with the 1200 and it's super loose, recon there was more difference between 300&232 than 232&212. Cheers

emmafoils
307 posts
2 Aug 2020 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foilnut said..
For winging what are recommendations for Armstrong on the fuse length (60/70/80) and mast length (72/85/95) if using the HS1550 or 1850 foil? I am a new winger riding SS i99 but looking for lighter carbon kit. I am using both 5.4SS and 4.2 FOne

70 fuse. Either 72 or 85 mast depending on depth issues and water conditions.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
2 Aug 2020 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

Foilnut said..

70 fuse. Either 72 or 85 mast depending on depth issues and water conditions.

No 80 fuse. The 60 is the best option IMO. 50 is a bit short. 85 mast if no depth issues.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
3 Aug 2020 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

First surf on the 1850 in chest-high waves backing off quickly into a deep bay. Just the conditions I got it for and it was perfect apart from me pocking a wing out every now and then due to flat profile and width. Fast for its size, smooth turning and mega glide. Almost thought I could pump Stoked

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
4 Aug 2020 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Hilly, Re popping a wing every now and then,I guess that is because of the extra width, do you come off when that happens or is it controllable. Do you think you will have to adjust your turning style ( drop deeper before turning)
See some vids where it doesn't seem to effect the ride and other where they come straight off.Seems mainly the HA wings survive a tip coming out in a turn. Not that there's anything wrong with coming out Hilly ! I'll still support you if that's where your at.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
4 Aug 2020 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Hey Hilly, Re popping a wing every now and then,I guess that is because of the extra width, do you come off when that happens or is it controllable. Do you think you will have to adjust your turning style ( drop deeper before turning)
See some vids where it doesn't seem to effect the ride and other where they come straight off.Seems mainly the HA wings survive a tip coming out in a turn. Not that there's anything wrong with coming out Hilly ! I'll still support you if that's where your at.

Depends when it pops out
fast banking turns on a decent sized swell straight off. Quick turn on a small soft steeper swell no problems especially if at top of swell or slightly over the back. The 1550 survives just as often. Will have to get the 1850 deeper when banking but the rail comes into play with the same result

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
4 Aug 2020 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hilly, did you have the axis 900 before , and if so how does it compare to the 1850

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong HS 1850" started by kobo