VIC, 627 posts
28 Oct 2015 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Now the work begins...

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
6 Nov 2015 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

I'm very happy with the weight of LOW PRESSURE at 14.350kg as we oded on the Double Bias Carbon putting an extra layer on the rails, nose and tail she's as strong as No flex in this board, Gary did a very good Glassing and Sanding Job. "Good Job Gary" From the Rudder Fin to the end of the tail the rails are Razor Sharp STOKED you'd be able to lather up and shave your face. LOW PRESSURE will be getting sprayed on Monday. The final weigh in should be under 15.5kg STOKED for a board thats 18'2''

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
16 Nov 2015 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

LOW PRESSURE got sprayed today, you'll see this board coming from 4 kilometres away in the ocean, the bottom is sprayed pail yellow.
All the attachments will be installed this week.

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
16 Nov 2015 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good Phil!!!

Antho
VIC, 510 posts
16 Nov 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great! As I said before what an excellent project and good on you for putting your faith in the guys from Deep to put it all together.

Bleachy
SA, 80 posts
16 Nov 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

The board in the top right of the first pic has a sick spray job. Must be going to a very lucky paddler.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
19 Nov 2015 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Just waiting for the LOW PRESSURE logo for the Deck

A very Light Off Yellow Spray for the Bottom - Plus you can kind of see the Double Concave from Nose to Tail.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
23 Nov 2015 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
27 Nov 2015 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Going to use an 8 inch rudder fin.
The normal Downwind board rudder fin is 9 inch.
After hanging on Maui this year the talk at the time was having an 8 inch rudder fin on your Unlimited Downwind board, to reduce drag.
So the experiment was to have less drag everyone was taking a hacksaw to there rudder fin some people were cutting there fin down to like 7 inches, the problem with a 7 inch rudder fin is when your surfing the ocean swell in-between the troughs the 7 inch rudder fin would pop-out making you loose control of your Unlimited board. So the 8 inch rudder fin was born, it's just like eating porridge, it's just right.
I spoke with Jeremy Riggs for hours over a few beers about the 8 inch rudder fin, Jeremy gives the 8 inch rudder fin the THUMBS UP for Unlimited boards.

LOW PRESSURE 18'2'' unlimited is finally finished weighing in at 15.7 kilo's or 34.54 pounds. Lite and strong STOKED.

Using very high quality stainless-steel, even the cable wires are like 2mm thick.

There's even a place in the rudder system to put your car-keys when paddling.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
27 Nov 2015 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

big board phil. and those 'notches' look wild.

have you seen this before .

pretty good weight I reckon for the size.

looking forward to a ride report.

ive got one of those awesome open ocean 14's nearly done- the reason I saw yours mate

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
27 Nov 2015 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

What a weapon.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
27 Nov 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Today would have been EPIC for a test Downwind run on the Goldie today between 1:00Pm and 4:00PM conditions were excellent with 20+ knots of ESE winds with one foot of ESE swell. But I was working spew bulk! it was the best Downwind conditions I've seen on the Goldie for a while, plus I haven't done a Downwind paddle since Maliko. I spoke with Mike Manning when he came into the beach at 4th ave Burleigh around 11:00AM he said it was awesome out there "lucky bugger"

I'll do a Bond Uni canal paddle at 5:00AM in the morning just to feel how she paddles then fingers crossed IF THE WIND PICKS UP it should from the ESE around 15 knots ? I'll do a Bilinga to Nth Burleigh Downwind paddle 11km to feel how she glides.

SurfNiels
182 posts
27 Nov 2015 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

That board looks G R E A T!

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Nov 2015 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Christening LOW PRESSURE

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Nov 2015 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Check out the deepness of the Double Concave on LOW PRESSURE; one word AWESOME.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Nov 2015 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

The NOSE

The TAIL

The DECK

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
28 Nov 2015 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome DW. Whats the theory on the nose.
World first creation this whole shape. Love it

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Nov 2015 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..
Awesome DW. Whats the theory on the nose.
World first creation this whole shape. Love it

G'day AndyR
I should have went another 2 inches deeper with the theory on the nose as it gives the board it's own identity.
I paddled her in the canal this morning it's the fastest Unlimited board I've ever paddled in the flat to date, LOW PRESSURE has hardly any wake, GOLD.
So I'm happy with LOW PRESSURE in the flat, two more challengers for LOW PRESSURE to face, the next challenge is how fast can I get LOW PRESSURE up to speed when doing the 10 x 1000's sprints. The last challenge is how good and how long is the Glide on LOW PRESSURE in lite Ocean Swell winds.
If I get all 3 LOW PRESSURE will be a magic board.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Nov 2015 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

This is the Canal where I paddle Bond Uni it's such a great spot, it's not busy I never see Stand Up's here the place is peaceful, tranquility and quiet, it's such a great spot for doing sprints like the 10x1000's. The Canal has very little current e.g. water movement so your times are consistent protected from all winds except NE winds, NE winds are to brutal I hate paddling into a head wind.
When I'm training for races like Molokai and the oceans not co-operating I find it tolerable to paddle 35km in the flat even though I find flat water paddling as exciting as watching paint dry it's as boring as.

I paddled LOW PRESSURE in the canal this morning for the first time it's the fastest Unlimited board I have ever paddled in the flat to this day.
LOW PRESSURE has hardly any wake, GOLD.

I'm almost 54 years old man and I'm very happy with my time trials I know all the young guys and women would smash me they all do two strokes to my one. I did a 10 km flat water paddle very close to the hour mark thismorning, thats OK for a bloke my age.

This was my SPEED

Average Speed 9.3 kph
Maximum Speed 11.2 kph

This was my HEART RATE

I have an extra large heart my resting heart rate is between 35-40 bpm

Average Heart Rate 44% = 81 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 63% = 119 bpm

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
1 Dec 2015 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

LOW PRESSURE'S Final Weigh In, she came in at 15.75 kilo's and has a very strong glass job using the Double Bias Carbon, STOKED.

Nede
NSW, 38 posts
2 Dec 2015 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Phil, wicked looking board, livin the stoke as always.

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
2 Dec 2015 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Phil I'd be getting some self-amalgamating tape on those exposed swage ends on the steering arm. The wire will cut your feet and arms up nicely at some stage. You can get the tape from a marine shop.
Looking forward to seeing the old girl down in sunny Vicco!

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Dec 2015 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

"STOKED" I took LOW PRESSURE for her first Maiden Ocean Downwind Paddle today conditions where OK I'd rate the conditions 5/10 as the wind was really South. Conditions needed a little more East in the wind because that meant not many or any white caps.

This is what Buoyweather says Monday 12/28 Morning Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves. Seas: SE 1.8 to 2.4 meters at 6 seconds. Winds: SSE 20 to 27 knots.
Afternoon Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves. Seas: SE 2 to 2.5 meters at 6 seconds. Winds: SSE 22 to 29 knots.

LOW PRESSURE went very good on her First Maiden Downwinder from Bilinga SLSC to North Burleigh SLSC is 11 kilometres it took me 53 minutes which is slow but OK = 4:50 a kilometre with a top speed of 17km/h But I'll be more happier when I get LOW PRESSURE under the 48 minute mark for that run thats around 4:15 a k.
The Glide on LOW PRESSURE felt really good I even got right on the Tail and surfed a few times that made me feel LOW PRESSURE'S very sharp rails do her thing while I was surfing the swells

The last 2 feet of LOW PRESSURE I got the sander to get the rails really, really shape like you would on a Surfboard, Sharp rails help you (drive) - surf your board. You could lather up and shave your face with the rail on LOW PRESSURE it's that sharp. "Yes Please Mr Wizard"

I just need to adjust the Rudder she was pulling a little bit to the right on some swells.

Tardy
4979 posts
28 Dec 2015 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Well done to you and the crew down winder ...looks great ..can't miss ya with those colors ..flying past everyone no doubt .

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Dec 2015 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Well done to you and the crew down winder ...looks great ..can't miss ya with those colors ..flying past everyone no doubt .

G'day Tardy I like being Bright when Downwind Paddling Orange, Yellow and White stands out like dogs balls you'll see me from 3 kilometres away.

Look at the Clubbies they all wear a Pink wet-shirt when Downwinding it's compulsory if you're a Clubbie, Pink can be seen.

With all these rules and regulations at any Downwind racing event they make you wear a leg-rope, carry a flare, wear a PFD, they should make all paddlers wear one bright coloured wet-shirt like the Clubbies.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
28 Dec 2015 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

My second Downwind run at 3:30PM was even better than the Maiden Downwind run at 1:00PM

I didn't have to adjust the Rudder after all for the second run as I got used to LOW PRESSURE after the first run. I even shaved of a minute averaging 4:45 min a k with a top speed of 19km/h STOKED.

I'd rate the second run conditions 6.5/10

LOW PRESSURE has Magic Glide "Yes Please Mr Wizard"

Where my hands are placed on LOW PRESSURE is were the rails are super sharp the rest of the rails to the nose is a nice soft tucked under edge

I got the deck sunken about one and a half inch so I can bury my feet into the rails to surf LOW PRESSURE if I'm not using the Rudder or in Surf Stance.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
11 Jan 2016 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

QB The Very Important Paddle Stroke For SUP.

So gave this video a try on LOW PRESSURE

1:03 min mark DISTANCE PER STROKE

BOARD LENGTH/DESIGN
PADDLE BLADE SIZE/DESIGN
HEIGHT/ARMSPAN
STROKE LENGTH/TECHNIQUE
WIND/CURRENT

1:08 min mark STROKE RATE

PADDLE BLADE SIZE/DESIGN
STROKE LENGTH
FITNESS
ENDURANCE
TECHNIQUE
WIND/CURRENT

speed = distance divided by time.

This is my calculations I'm not a mathematician and I don't have a HSC I hated school. But I'm very happy with my calculation.

3280.84 feet = 1000 metres = 1 kilometre

my average is 265 strokes per 1000 metres or 1 kilometre = (Distance) 12.38 feet or 3.77 metres

my average is 40.76 strokes per minute

So the GLIDE on LOW PRESSURE is awesome at 12.38 feet per stroke I'm a 54yo man paddling at 6:30 min a kilometre in the flat canal, if I'm doing 10x1000's I can shave of an extra 30 seconds per Kilometre but I'm hurting. I know the younger guys would just smash me and laugh at my times, hahaha. The power of youth.

I do use the biggest Blade from Quick Blade, the Big Mama Kalama 120sq. inch. And have been using this Blade since M2O 2008 I love this Blade. I'd like to get a 120sq. inch V-Drive but Jim Terrell would not make me one, SPEW. The big Blades do not hurt my shoulders (yet I've had a major shoulder reconstruction from surfing to much in my youth) but my Obliques and Traps do get sore after a 30km paddle.
www.quickbladepaddles.com/store/Big-Mama-Kalama

So I'm STOKED LOW PRESSURE has VERY GOOD GLIDE

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
13 Jan 2016 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
big board phil. and those 'notches' look wild.

have you seen this before .

pretty good weight I reckon for the size.

looking forward to a ride report.

ive got one of those awesome open ocean 14's nearly done- the reason I saw yours mate

The "notches" are used to disperse the water when you've buried the nose in a troth (I should have went another 2''inches deep per notch and at a bit more of an angle)

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
18 Jan 2016 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

After seeing it in the flesh this board is epic.
Very different to whats out there atm. It is a beast.
And after paddling next to you from the calm into the bumps and watching you gap me so easily and glide for so long straight away it was pleasing to see that the board works well in short period swell stuff Iron Phil.
Looked like ease getting onto a bump and maintaining speed on it or over it into the next bump.

Really has me thinking after watching and talking to all the lads with unlimiteds and how well they all have said they go in bay conditions that an unlimited has to be the next weapon of choice for me.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
19 Jan 2016 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

I took LOW PRESSURE up to Morton Bay for a test run, condition where looking very good with a strong 25 knots of South Winds. Went from Raby Bay to the Port of Brisbane 17.4 kilometres.

I was told you could get one minute runners with ocean swells in the waist high range.

One excellent thing I found out about the Nose of LOW PRESSURE is, she’s like Bloodhound Dog she just sniffs out Runners LOW PRESSURE just took of on any Bump the glide was unbelievable.

On some Runners I was going so fast I had to stall LOW PRESSURE (put all my weight on the tail to slow her down) so I could stay on the bump to surf for fun.

The first 13 kilometres of the Bay run was EPIC with some fun little Bumps and the rumours are true there was some Big Bumps out there where you could glide for like ONE MINUTE "Yes Please Mr Wizard" I buried the nose a few time while even standing on the tail, but lost NO speed. I had one major fall and also jumped off around half way to see if I had any WEED wrapped around the fin.

I was having flash backs out there Déjà vu seeing so many SUP's on a Downwind Run am I on Maui paddling Maliko. Andy Rowland quoted 40 SUP’s, Awesome.

BIG THANKS to the SUP's that went ahead of me you guys made a good SUP trail for me to follow all the way to the finish.

LOW PRESSURE was averaging around 4:45 down to 4:25 min per k with a top speed of 20km/h But the last 4.4 k's was vey, very slow though around 5:30 to 6:00min per k must have been the tide? The Bay run took me 86 minutes for 17.4 k. Andy Rowland gave this Morton Bay Run a 7/10 for today I'd love to see a 9+ Morton Bay Run, I was told it was a 9 the week before, be like taking candy from a baby even a novice would learn quickly Downwind Paddling this Morton Run.

Thanks Andy, Nick & Brisbane SUP for inviting me up for a Morton Bay Run. Looking forward to coming back it was a BULK FUN DAY.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"LOW PRESSURE 18'2'' unlimited" started by Downwinder