Sandsy , why bother with your topic. what's for

JeanG
161 posts
11 Dec 2014 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

JeanG said..
@Colas - I find that running lower volume ratio (1.1-1.2) on the narrow boards helps mitigate the tippyness. It's a completely different type of stability from the wide or high volume boards. You get a bit of water over the rails to neutralize the twitchiness, then don't fight the movement of it.

I have an 8'2x25@96L that I can barely stand on. But the 7'4x23.75@80L or 7'6x25@84L are much easier. Myself and others can also paddle the prone longboard 8'x22@80L without much problem.

Yes, I agree for the lateral stability. What I have problems now with is actually the longitudinal stability (I fall mostly to the rear). I don't know why. Perhaps because I perceive better rolling movements than pitch? Or I am too used to wide-ass Simmons shapes? Or too stiff and resting too much on my heels?

Actually, you may be right and perhaps I need to lower the volume on longer & narrower boards to get a more "continuous" pitch movement.

That is interesting. Are you simply standing too far back? I get pretty far up on all of the boards - keep as much of the thing flat as possible - and would say that 99% of my falls result from lateral instability. Virtually never have issues with longitudinal. Hmmm.

colas
5062 posts
11 Dec 2014 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JeanG said..
That is interesting. Are you simply standing too far back? I get pretty far up on all of the boards - keep as much of the thing flat as possible - and would say that 99% of my falls result from lateral instability. Virtually never have issues with longitudinal. Hmmm.

Actually, I am more stable if I am a bit back of the balance point. This way, I only have to compensate in one direction (forwards), whereas on the balance point I have to balance both ways and it seems harder.

I tried to look more at what I was doing in the last session, and I guess I simply have my feet too parallel when just paddling around, I guess from old habits. I think I just need to stay always with feet slightly staggered.

I also force myself to ride other boards than my mini-Simmons, I fear I am getting too used to its insane stability :-)

Kami
1566 posts
11 Dec 2014 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JeanG said..
colas said..

JeanG said..
@Colas - I find that running lower volume ratio (1.1-1.2) on the narrow boards helps mitigate the tippyness. It's a completely different type of stability from the wide or high volume boards. You get a bit of water over the rails to neutralize the twitchiness, then don't fight the movement of it.

I have an 8'2x25@96L that I can barely stand on. But the 7'4x23.75@80L or 7'6x25@84L are much easier. Myself and others can also paddle the prone longboard 8'x22@80L without much problem.

Yes, I agree for the lateral stability. What I have problems now with is actually the longitudinal stability (I fall mostly to the rear). I don't know why. Perhaps because I perceive better rolling movements than pitch? Or I am too used to wide-ass Simmons shapes? Or too stiff and resting too much on my heels?

Actually, you may be right and perhaps I need to lower the volume on longer & narrower boards to get a more "continuous" pitch movement.

IMO, you don't have issues with longitudinal stability because you have a large ratio length/width. Finally you get narrower rather than longer board... Can be your skilled paddle ability too avoid yourself to fall as less as possible

The crucial parameter of stability(shown in the diagrams up there ) seems to me coming from buoyancy from the tail. As Colas reckons, he is more confident on stability with Simmon's type of shape.
It appears to me that buyancy hidden in width and thickness settled in the tail feels like a safe place to stand up with out falling. As well tail is a sweet spot to enhance forward stance of weight balance before taking off . I mean that i 'm using this buyancy to sit down and plug out up the board to the surface the board before taking off as a short boarders use to paddle few arm strokes before late take off.
This is why i stick a body board in the tail of my shortSUP to allow the wide tail to dig its rails down bottom turn ...

magentawave
128 posts
19 Dec 2014 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
here is something to think about.

why not just paddle out with a 6 ft x 19" shortboard and a 'paddle', paddle into the wave prone then use the paddle to surf with.

the ultimate in short sup.

did some one say don't be silly

Because I get ten times more waves per sesh on my *8' sup than I ever did on a regular surfboard. Seriously, and thats without cutting anyone off. Why do I get more waves on a sup? Because of the power of the paddle and because I can see sets coming way before I could prone paddling or sitting on a surfboard. Sup surfing is an insanely good core exercise too. I always have that awesome "surfed out" feeling after a good session that I haven't experienced from surfing since I was a kid. Its amazing all the cool fishies and stuff you can see below the surface while standup paddling that you can't see on a regular surfboard. Lastly, and most importantly, surfing a shorter sup has me totally re-stoked on surfing!

*I'll soon be dropping down in size to shorter than 7'-6".

Garethg
NSW, 406 posts
19 Dec 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Need a short SUP to surf Indo.

Kami
1566 posts
19 Dec 2014 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Garethg said..

?rel=0

IMO, i found this 8' too big for these waves and conditions. What do you think about that

Garethg
NSW, 406 posts
20 Dec 2014 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Probably right Kami,,, I rode a 7"6 most of the time, but reckon the new Naish 7"3 would be perfect.

Kami
1566 posts
20 Dec 2014 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thx Garethg for this feed back.
May be to give right or surely to say wrong to Sansdy1 's topic, saying that it's worthing to ride a SUP as a shorboard :
this my next project that i will demo soon by my next SUPing trip in Caribbean islands
My "vanguard type" coming soon to demo and prove what i wrote up here : 3.7" thick 7'26.2" 84 liters to my 60 years 78 kg

bigday
VIC, 5 posts
21 Dec 2014 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..
Sorry, I just don't get it.

If you have a good size wave, why not surf a short board? I watch guys on short sups and if I see another flat dishpan turn I'm gonna scream.
They can't go rail to rail, they can't go into vertical snaps, they just don't go, (unless you one of the few pro's who can make it look reasonable).
I watched a guy paddle around in circles, because he couldn't stop. I was getting giddy, just watching him. The board was below the water for most of the time and when he finally got a wave; BORING!!! And he could surf!
The only reason thet I can think of, is that they just want more waves.

Anyone???????

Injuries mate, injuries, you are probably still wet behind the ears and don't have any long term ones yet.

wazza66
QLD, 611 posts
21 Dec 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

As long as you are out there enjoying yourself who really cares what size board you are riding. Who judges a surfer's ability/fun level by the size of the board they ride. Just have a look at what Laird rides as an example.

Respecting each other ,not tripping over your ego and remember why we go surfing. I enjoy watching surfers styling on all types and sizes of boards. Give them a hoot you may surprised with their reaction.

Merry Xmas

supostabfun
17 posts
21 Dec 2014 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Mate anyone that surfs has probably chased waves on anything that floats at some stage in their lives and any surfer thats even one day more mature than a gromet knows being out there is the important thing it doesnt matter what your aslong as your on a wave.

You ask whats the point my answer is that the point should only be getting out there

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
22 Dec 2014 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigday said..

Sandsy1 said..

If you have a good size wave, why not surf a short board? I watch guys on short sups and if I see another flat dishpan turn I'm gonna scream.
They can't go rail to rail, they can't go into vertical snaps, they just don't go, (unless you one of the few pro's who can make it look reasonable).
I watched a guy paddle around in circles, because he couldn't stop. I was getting giddy, just watching him. The board was below the water for most of the time and when he finally got a wave; BORING!!! And he could surf!

Anyone???????

Injuries mate, injuries, you are probably still wet behind the ears and don't have any long term ones yet.

I wish I was still wet behind the ears!
Nearly 60, 12 months after a full hip replacement. Surf a 6'4" twin fin, 6'9" McCoy Nugget, 9'4" single fin long board, 9'6" single fin log and a 10'6" surftech Laird sup (also as a single fin). I surf the sup more than the others, due to lack of any descent wave size at the moment.
My question was and still is, why ride a small sup (if your not injured) when they are limited in what you can do on them, compared to a short board?

(This should be worth another 4 pages)

JeanG
161 posts
22 Dec 2014 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..

My question was and still is, why ride a small sup (if your not injured) when they are limited in what you can do on them, compared to a short board?

Because standups are more fun.

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
22 Dec 2014 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JeanG said..

Sandsy1 said..

Because standups are more fun.

Touche'. Well done!!

Kami
1566 posts
22 Dec 2014 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..
bigday said..

Sandsy1 said..

Anyone???????

I wish I was still wet behind the ears!
Nearly 60, 12 months after a full hip replacement. Surf a 6'4" twin fin, 6'9" McCoy Nugget, 9'4" single fin long board, 9'6" single fin log and a 10'6" surftech Laird sup (also as a single fin). I surf the sup more than the others, due to lack of any descent wave size at the moment.

(This should be worth another 4 pages)

So i head on for the fourth

Hi , Sandsy at past 60 by now i'm fighting with my hip, avoid by now surgery sadly like you done , done few ACIDE HYALURONIQUE injection by now and take very care of my health because i want to feel as much longer as i can the feeling of sudden short board rush down wave face without lifting up from a prone shortboard. I love too this feeling enhances by SUP position like an copying entry from a skateboard ramp
I love this feeling and this is why i bother with a minimum SUPable board size .

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
22 Dec 2014 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

this really needs to stop at 6 pages you know

colas
5062 posts
22 Dec 2014 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..

- speed
- tactical vision of the spot standing up, being able to choose the best takeoff spot.
- the rush of small sup take off. Like a shortboard take off but faster and more intense
- speed

I can reverse the argument: why prone shortboard when they are so limiting? in my eyes, shortboarders just take off in the foam and wiggle in it, while a short SUP speed open up flying all other the place.

PS: in truth, I guess SUP has been a revelation because I always have been overweight, and shortboards were not adapted in the past to different weights. I guess SUPing may not be such a revelation for a featherweight shortboard rider. I guess I would have fallen in love with mini-simmons if they had been available in my youth...

stm
VIC, 165 posts
22 Dec 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
this really needs to stop at 6 pages you know

I agree with you , for the first time on this thread ! It's a bull**** topic . I expect sandsy1 to never be seen on a short sup , or else

snot
NSW, 157 posts
22 Dec 2014 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Kami
1566 posts
22 Dec 2014 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

You right, there is more fun over this one:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Once-upon-a-time-in-da-Ocean/

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
23 Dec 2014 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

C'mon. I want 7!!!

Opinionator
NSW, 12 posts
24 Dec 2014 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..

Anyone???????

Sandsy1, you are spot on mate you dont get it. Nobs like you are the reason I stopped surfing short and long lay down boards. Sitting half submerged in the crowded line up getting the ****s and judging people is not a good way to use your time in the ocean. Why not enjoy yourself and stop worrying what anyone else is doing on a SUP, body board, ski what ever. We all go to the beach to have fun you obviously do not. Get over yourself.
Personally I fell back in love with surfing because of SUP,s in particular short ones, once you get the hang of them you can go rail to rail you can get vertical and best of all you can do it away from the pack, in conditions that short boarders dont go and you can get 10x more waves than is possible on short boards. Anything but BORING!!
It must be BORING!! for you sitting half submerged on your short board if you feel the need to judge people and then write on this forum to entertain yourself.
Good luck Sandsy1 I hope you do get it one day. Merry Xmas.

surfgrub
NSW, 105 posts
26 Dec 2014 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Garethg said..

Looks like you had a bit too much volume there & was overpowered.

Great power waves for a shortboard though.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Dec 2014 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
magentawave said..

laceys lane said..
here is something to think about.

why not just paddle out with a 6 ft x 19" shortboard and a 'paddle', paddle into the wave prone then use the paddle to surf with.

the ultimate in short sup.

did some one say don't be silly

Because I get ten times more waves per sesh on my *8' sup than I ever did on a regular surfboard. Seriously, and thats without cutting anyone off. Why do I get more waves on a sup? Because of the power of the paddle and because I can see sets coming way before I could prone paddling or sitting on a surfboard. Sup surfing is an insanely good core exercise too. I always have that awesome "surfed out" feeling after a good session that I haven't experienced from surfing since I was a kid. Its amazing all the cool fishies and stuff you can see below the surface while standup paddling that you can't see on a regular surfboard. Lastly, and most importantly, surfing a shorter sup has me totally re-stoked on surfing!

*I'll soon be dropping down in size to shorter than 7'-6".

you should have taken time to learn to read the ocean when you were younger instead of goofing off looking for cool fishies and stuff

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Short Surfing SUP's - Why bother?" started by Sandsy1