Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

The Stand Up Surf Shop King Of The Cut 2015

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 10 Aug 2015
BerserkWarrior
VIC, 30 posts
7 Dec 2015 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

What boards were the two winners on? I assume Angie Jackson had that new One board.

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
7 Dec 2015 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BerserkWarrior said...
What boards were the two winners on? I assume Angie Jackson had that new One board.

Our 14 ONE board is not here until after xmas so Ang borrwed a Ace 2015 model and Matt was on a 2016 Ace, as it stands for that run a Ace seems to be the board to beat if the motor is up to it.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
7 Dec 2015 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Tea Tree, the NSW guys first met Matty a couple of years ago when he turned up at a race in Melbourne that we had travelled to and he gave Sam Parker a run for his money. We had a feeling back then we might be seeing more of him.

I spoke to Matty and Kissa after yesterday's race and they were pretty much out on their own paddling a different line to the other guys who were with the lead boat. Matty said that Kissa lead the whole way and that every time he got close to think about passing Kissa, Kissa would put the foot down and get away again. Eventually Kissa who was on an SIC unlimited came to grief in the rough shorie and young Matt got him on the sprint. Other paddlers might have been disappointed by being passed on the finish line but Kissa was genuinly stoked for Matty getting the win on top of his win at The Doctor.

Attached is one of Terry Trathens photos showing how close they finished.

I should take this opportunity to thank the WA guys, SUPWA and the organisers and volunteers of KOTC. Their hospitality is unmatched. Some of the NSW crew like Kissa and James Casey were in WA for the week while another big group of us did the 3 day trip and managed a couple of runs over the weekend. It was worth the trip. Great paddling, great conditions and above all unreal to catch up with everyone so soon after Nationals and also paddle with some of the best guys in the World. A big thankyou also to the biggest frother in WA - Stimo who stored our boards and shared his beer.

One run we did on Friday afternoon saw our group being passed by Travis, James Casey, Beau, the Tardrew boys, Matty Nottage and a couple of others. We all came into the finish pretty close together and hooked up with the Qld and South Oz crew. Unreal to have so many of the guys and girls all there together.

Make sure you put this event on the calendar for next year.

Image by Terry Trathens Photography.....and Kissa is still smiling.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
7 Dec 2015 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said...
Heaps of great results, congrats to Matt and Angie for taking out the top spots but the highlight for me was the one and only Radman taking out the O40's
#citybeachdrumliners #teamwestozfroth

This is a guy that lives in a remote town so hardly has anyone to train with and on a board he designed and built himself.
Nice work Benno.
Radman said..

Aren't twin hulls illegal to race by most rule books.

What kind of race are you hillbillies running over there

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
7 Dec 2015 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

It's specially designed to pick up cray ropes on the outer reefs. , The prong morphs into one chunk of foam, it may look weird but goes like a rocket.

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
7 Dec 2015 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Video preview

www.facebook.com/goSUPracer/videos/929742937109758/

Reflex Films
WA, 1437 posts
8 Dec 2015 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

And here- complete edit will drop later today.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
8 Dec 2015 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Had a great 5 days over there in Perth, thanks for the great hospitality from all the WA crew, top bunch of blokes. A special big thanks to Luke & Michelle Jenkins for their kind Hospitality with open arms. Didn’t I get looked after - it was full Five Star Treatment “too kind”

Also North Freo Stand Up Surf Shop - Big Thanks to Cameron McKay for letting me borrow the SIC 17’4’’ Bullet “Magic Board”

I enjoyed Downwinding the Sandtrax to City Beach - what a great short run 11.75 km ( it reminds me of my run I do on the Goldie, Bilinga to Nth Burleigh 11km) I did a 61 minute run on an average day. I wished I was there on the Monday the WA crew said it was all time.

I learned a valuable lesson from paddling over there in the WA ocean, you truly need a WEED FIN. For the first 8 kilometres of the KoTC Race I was just pi##ing into the wind. I couldn’t get the Bullet up to speed, I couldn’t work it out. I was paddling as hard as I could going nowhere. My Garmin 310XT was telling me I was doing 6:30sec a km - I wasn’t catching anyone, I felt like I was standing still. Like WTF so I jump off the Bullet to have a look at the rudder and the fin was dragging this big trail of seaweed (you Labia Majora is all I could think of to say). Once I got rid of the seaweed and freed the rudder the Bullet just took off, I’d see paddlers 300 metres ahead and just mow’m down. By this time I was doing 5:00sec a km (about time), so every 2kms I’d jump off and check the fin, but it was too late - the race was half over and there was no way I could catch the paddlers up the front.

The weed shattered me a little bit but hey that’s racing. It happens to everybody. Looking forward to next years KoTC with my new WEED FIN so I can be more competitive.

iRONPHIL

Once again BIG THANKS to Greg Kerr the President of SUPWA and all the WA gang “Fun Times”

I believe the best prize should go to the NSW crew these blokes were just STYLING in their hire car or shall I say TRUCK .

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
8 Dec 2015 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Plenty of room for all of us also.

I think Stimo had the best local transport.

3 x 14 footers underneath, 5 unlimiteds on top + Mr Casey's 14

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
8 Dec 2015 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said..
Plenty of room for all of us also.

I think Stimo had the best local transport.
3 x 14 footers underneath, 5 unlimiteds on top

one word STYLING

mocka
WA, 40 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for clearing all the weed from the Cut run Phil

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
8 Dec 2015 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm like I've said before - think I'm down-winding in the wrong state.
Is there a pop-up marquee to go with that rig, Stimo?

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
8 Dec 2015 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Reflex Films said..
And here- complete edit will drop later today.

I can't wait Matt.
We watched the 3 previous KOTC videos back to back on Saturday night, so good.

And yep the NSW's crew had the right idea with that dual cab truck.

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
8 Dec 2015 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yep I knew you wouldn't let me down.

If you haven't done this race yet put it into your calendar, this year wasn't the best conditions but a good call was made by SUPWA to use the 2 day window and hold it off till Sunday, although conditions weren't what we know they can be, it was still IMO the best downwind race in Australia this year.

SurfNiels
182 posts
9 Dec 2015 4:08AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome video . Definitely helps keep the stoke alive through our winter!

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
9 Dec 2015 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

ditto. really good vid. like a story

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
10 Dec 2015 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

Such an epic event video!
Ive got some planning to orgsnise to get myself over next year.
May have to re route the family holiday to perth

Reflex Films
WA, 1437 posts
11 Dec 2015 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

A lot of elements have to come together for a good event video.

Epic event and wind - check!
A team of enthusiastic volunteers-check!
Stimo cam - check!
Monica cam - check!
World class boat driver -for smooth action capture - Scott Mckercher the boat surfer - check!
On water pro level talent-check!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this production - it was truly a team effort.

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
11 Dec 2015 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Great work Matt, as a competitor I'm humbled to be apart of this event & share the stoke with everyone who's' there for one reason, ride & glide.
I've just moved to Port Kennedy, 7 minutes from Secret Harbour, yowsah.
ps I also want to thank Greg Kerr who has just stood down as President of SUPWA, however will remain on the committee.
Greg has been selfless in the development of growing SUP into what it is today in WA.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The Stand Up Surf Shop King Of The Cut 2015" started by Goochi