Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

The Stand Up Surf Shop King Of The Cut 2015

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 10 Aug 2015
AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
5 Dec 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hows the wind looking for sundau guys???

Who is going to take it out??
Ange will in womens terrin 2nd.

Men.
Ill throw a blanket over
Trav, beau, boothy, matty, jake.
I reckon matty could come out on top again

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..
Hows the wind looking for sundau guys???

Who is going to take it out??
Ange will in womens terrin 2nd.

Men.
Ill throw a blanket over
Trav, beau, boothy, matty, jake.
I reckon matty could come out on top again

Michael booth seems to be the one who can pull rabbits out of the hat when something special is required.

wouldn't surprise me if he won

sls
WA, 179 posts
6 Dec 2015 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

It may have cost me a shot at the title but looks a like good decision to move race to Sunday. Good luck all.

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
6 Dec 2015 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
<div class="liveblog byuser comment-author-christopher-parker bypostauthor even thread-even depth-1 liveblog-entry" data-timestamp="1449379506">Christopher Parker 8 MINUTES AGO

<div class="liveblog-entry-text" data-original-content="Gordon: "Marcus Tardrew may have the best line now as we get within the final stages of the race. The other contenders are too far outside"">Gordon: “Marcus Tardrew may have the best line now as we get within the final stages of the race. The other contenders are too far outside”

<div class="liveblog byuser comment-author-christopher-parker bypostauthor odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1 liveblog-entry" data-timestamp="1449378936"> Christopher Parker 18 MINUTES AGO

<div class="liveblog-entry-text" data-original-content="Gordon: "Local boy Marcus Tardrew (unlimited) looks like he's sneaking up on the inside"">Gordon: “Local boy Marcus Tardrew (unlimited) looks like he’s sneaking up on the inside”

<div class="liveblog byuser comment-author-christopher-parker bypostauthor even thread-even depth-1 liveblog-entry" data-timestamp="1449378892"> Christopher Parker 19 MINUTES AGO

<div class="liveblog-entry-text" data-original-content="Getting some connection happening again... Quick update from Gordon out on the lead boat:

"Dave Kissane is leading on his unlimited, with Matt Nottage (14) about 200m behind. Travis Grant (14) taking a more inside line"">Getting some connection happening again… Quick update from Gordon out on the lead boat:“Dave Kissane is leading on his unlimited, with Matt Nottage (14) about 200m behind. Travis Grant (14) taking a more inside line

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
6 Dec 2015 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Yewww i picked it. Well done matty. 2015's best aussie down wind paddler.
Nice work by all im putting this race on the bucket list to do.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
6 Dec 2015 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

first Matt Nottage second Travis , third Jake, four Beau 14 class. Seems Matt is on fire, who is this bloke first I have heard of him , what's his Background?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Dec 2015 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said..
first Matt Nottage second Travis , third Jake, four Beau 14 class. Seems Matt is on fire, who is this bloke first I have heard of him , what's his Background?

he killed in Hawaii last season race too.

get with the program Andrew.

swell was hitting side on so the sup racer said.

there are some what I might call not so good pace by paddlers who are better than that.

might be some boards didn't handle those conditions

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

He's going good that's for sure, don't know what I got a red thumb for, just want to know more about the kid I support all Aussie's and hope they can overcome the dominance of the likes if Kai and connor , seems we have some great young paddlers and they should all be supported. Any way red thumbers are weak as piss as far as I'm concerned.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

TT. Hes the new kid on the block. from sunny coast. Wasn't even sponsored as of last year i dont think. Got a solid 4th at kotc last year. Then starboard picked him up. 2nd to connor in two of the biggest dw racers in hawaii this year.
Now Won the doctor and now the cut.
He paddles an ace as good as beau and looks like this year has dominated the ocean scene. Has a very solid background in OC1 racing i believe.
Top kid with a huge future in ocean racing with results like hes got this year.

This is a huge result to win in that field and to even beat the unlimiteds.

Be good to hear how the race played out from the paddlers views.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

He surfs an ace ok too

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...
TT. Hes the new kid on the block. from sunny coast. Wasn't even sponsored as of last year i dont think. Got a solid 4th at kotc last year. Then starboard picked him up. 2nd to connor in two of the biggest dw racers in hawaii this year.
He paddles an ace as good as beau and looks like this year has dominated the ocean scene. Has a very solid background in OC1 racing i believe.

Yeah massive effort to win probably two of the biggest races in oz, and to beat Trav who I consider the best in the buisness.how old is He?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..

just got a text message. it was like doing a broadie to alley run in twenty knot northerlies.

generally that nots a good run. rather poor most times for the reason of the swell just keeps coming side on at you.

although first half was good the text added

matty's paces and the top crew was still very fast.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
6 Dec 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

What happened to jermey riggs? Don't see his name on the list at all?

BerserkWarrior
VIC, 30 posts
6 Dec 2015 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..

Jeremy Riggs had sponsor obligations in Melbourne. He was apparently going to do KotC on Saturday and then catch the red eye to Melbourne but the delayed race meant he had to miss KotC.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Dec 2015 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BerserkWarrior said..

AndyR said..

Jeremy Riggs had sponsor obligations in Melbourne. He was apparently going to do KotC on Saturday and then catch the red eye to Melbourne but the delayed race meant he had to miss KotC.

the bloody Melbourne crew

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

I was on the lead boat doing the updates for sup racer. More difficult than I thought as leading paddlers were spread out. Dave Kissane and Matt took a very wide line and Dave lead the whole way but apparently fell close to the end. Travis stayed in a bit and was on his own for most of the race. Marcus took a much closer line to shore and snuck up on us a bit. Tough conditions with plenty of swell on the side. The first 10km were great apparently but the last bit was tough!

Area10
1508 posts
6 Dec 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Were there only two women? I see only mention of the top two.

HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
6 Dec 2015 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said..

I think there may be a new sheriff in town. Stitched the big names up in challenging conditions today but also did the same last week when the wind for the Doctor was as good as it gets. All the ocean ski's set new race records which is a bit of a guide.

Good to see the depth of local racing really staring to build up. Wont be long until the racing scene in oz is on par with some of the more well publicised ones in the US and Hawaii.

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
6 Dec 2015 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions were awesome today, yeah it wasn't a true Southerly but there were some massive runs out there, previous race records were smashed, I hope every one had a great time in West Oz, we love hosting the interstate and international crew thanks for a great race SUPWA ,

tightlines
WA, 3475 posts
6 Dec 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Heaps of great results, congrats to Matt and Angie for taking out the top spots but the highlight for me was the one and only Radman taking out the O40's
#citybeachdrumliners #teamwestozfroth

This is a guy that lives in a remote town so hardly has anyone to train with and on a board he designed and built himself.
Nice work Benno.

Select to expand quote
Radman said..

PeterP
839 posts
7 Dec 2015 1:02AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like it was an amazing race - can't wait to see some video. You guys seem to have incredible depth of talent and the average speeds of the top guys looks impressive if it wasn't excellent the whole way?

Shout out to Dave Kissane, hardly a spring chicken, excellent result - when you share initials with that other guy then I guess one wouldn't expect anything less!!!

Area10
1508 posts
7 Dec 2015 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said...

Oh hang on, I can answer my own Q now, from looking at the Blue Chip results list. 70 paddlers finished the race. 6 were women (8.6%). Is this a typical participation rate for women in Australia, or is there something specific about this great race that puts them off?

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
7 Dec 2015 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Great race! Thanks again to all the awesome WA crew and sponsors, u guys have created a great event. Stoked to have won again sure was a tuff one for me physically.
X angie

BerserkWarrior
VIC, 30 posts
7 Dec 2015 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

Area10 said...

Oh hang on, I can answer my own Q now, from looking at the Blue Chip results list. 70 paddlers finished the race. 6 were women (8.6%). Is this a typical participation rate for women in Australia, or is there something specific about this great race that puts them off?

Maybe a little lower % because of the nature of the race but for other than social races, there seems to be a substantially lower participation rate for women.

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
7 Dec 2015 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said..

Andrew
(TeaTree) he comes from an outrigging background. Need iIsay anymore. he is one of our hottest young outrigger paddlers coming through.
last year he won the 45km GBROC in Cairns on the OC1 whilst the boys did it on the SUP's.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
7 Dec 2015 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petedorries said...
teatrea said..

Andrew
(TeaTree) he comes from an outrigging background. Need iIsay anymore. he is one of our hottest young outrigger paddlers coming through.
last year he won the 45km GBROC in Cairns on the OC1 whilst the boys did it on the SUP's.

Funny that how the top oc1 guys are also top stand up paddlers. I'd like to have a go at oc1 how much can you pick a second hand one up for?

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
7 Dec 2015 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations to Matt and Angie

Fantastic effort from both. Angie defending her title from last year and Matt becoming a King Doctor. Special mentions to both Dave Kissane and Marcus Tardrew, it won't be long before we see an unlimited win the KotC.

Special thanks to Race director -Geoff Bryant, Competition Manager - Michel Jenkins and Starter/Safety Director Jodi Earnshaw for their fabulous work. Assited greatly by boat drivers - Scotty McKercher, Gordon McKercher and Brad Sheridan. Media commentator - Adam Hawkstone, photographers- Matt Holder, Terry and Carole Trathen and Peter Van Hoof.

Our Marvellous volunteers - Graham, Renee, Claire, Maree and Sue (plus additional names I have missed - sorry, your work is greatly appreciated).

The 2016 KotC promises to be bigger again - in so many ways

If you missed it this year, don't miss it next year!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
7 Dec 2015 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

Area10 said...

HI Area 10
WA is developing some of the top female paddlers in the country, Belinda Stowell-Brett came 3rd this year, backing up her podium finish from the Nationals. Cristiana Chessa won the O/40 female division and despite there being only 2 paddlers, she smashed her time from the previous year and finished just behind some of the age group males. Local paddlers - Nicki Jones and Zan Wilson were caught out with the date change.

The week before at the Ship2Shore we had a majority of females compared to Males in a DW event. It is just a matter of time for these ladies to develop confidence in DW - I personally feel that females are more suited to DW as they are lighter and have better balance, it won't be long before we see more and more females participating.

You only have to look at the present inspiring ladies driving SUP DW in Australia - Angie Jackson, Karla Gilbert, Terrene Black and Belinda Stowell-Brett - there is such a great community and sisterhood around these paddlers.

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
7 Dec 2015 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Should also be noted that Belinda Stowell is an Olympic champion - she won Gold in the women's 470 class in the Sydney Olympics.
She will be currently in Melbourne or Brazil coaching the Aus sailing team, at a guess.

So come on Area10, get yer muscle oiled and yer arse out here!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The Stand Up Surf Shop King Of The Cut 2015" started by Goochi