Forums > Surfing Longboarding

2015 Comp Thread

Created by Macaha > 9 months ago, 27 Feb 2015
SP
10979 posts
10 Apr 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Be good to see Taj get through a few more heats..

Has to go down as one of the best on tour not to win a title..

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
10 Apr 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

^^ Agreed, all day long!

SP
10979 posts
10 Apr 2016 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Damn I put the mocker on him in that heat.

Hopefully he has a better time in Fiji..

The commentators went through his career stats and they pretty crazy, 19 yearson tour, two runner ups, 4 thirds, 5 4ths or something like that. Out of the top 10 3 times..

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
10 Apr 2016 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..
Damn I put the mocker on him in that heat.

Hopefully he has a better time in Fiji..

The commentators went through his career stats and they pretty crazy, 19 yearson tour, two runner ups, 4 thirds, 5 4ths or something like that. Out of the top 10 3 times..

As you say absolutely Epic career, but no World title :( There were years that he was clearly the best free surfer (even compared to Slater) on tour but he's just not as driven competitively.

Its great that he's remained a crowd favorite and an absolute top bloke who's down to earth and still froths over a surf.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
10 Apr 2016 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Look Taj has had more pits and chicks than the rest of us put together times 10. He will die a happy man

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
11 Apr 2016 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

If conditions stay like they have been Wilko might be good fro 3 from 3...his backhand swizzlers should get the job done on Parko and Jdub

Just as an aside everytime my kids turn a corner there like "Dad...Dad I just did a swizzler"

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
11 Apr 2016 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Wilko's next heats going to be a cracker, Parko and Wilson i think? That's going to be a heavy heat, looking forward it.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
15 Apr 2016 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surf69 said..
Wilko's next heats going to be a cracker, Parko and Wilson i think? That's going to be a heavy heat, looking forward it.

Wilko got the highest wave score but couldn't get a back up

Waves look pretty tasty

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
15 Apr 2016 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tux said..

Surf69 said..

Wilko got the highest wave score but couldn't get a back up

Waves look pretty tasty

Would have been a good heat to see! Leaves it Open. Wilson, Buchan, Parko Only Aussies left , hope one of them gets the cup.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
15 Apr 2016 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

How good was Parkos second wave

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
6 May 2016 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Thats it Parko will not be on tour on 17

At least he will be having some fun where he won his last tour event.

www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/nocookies?a=A.flavipes

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
12 May 2016 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Loads of Brazo's in this Rio event - 15 of the 36 in fact ! Thats loads. I would rather have been at Komune with Joel and Taj anyway . However 6 will be gone after the conclusion of round two potentially.

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
13 May 2016 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone heading to crescent in a week or so for the classic??

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
16 May 2016 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

It might be a crap comp in crap waves but there is no denying the skills of this fella. Surfs real good.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
20 May 2016 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations to Jack Freestone on his second at the Rio Pro.

Now the Rio Pro should be dropped surely the worst conditions on the tour,they say world best surfers surfing the best waves in the world,if so show Rio the door.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
20 May 2016 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said...

Now the Rio Pro should be dropped surely the worst conditions on the tour,they say world best surfers surfing the best waves in the world,if so show Rio the door.

Never heard of this longboard comp or longboard surfers before.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
20 May 2016 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

Well said Mac

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
20 May 2016 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tux said...
Macaha said..

Well said Mac

I agree as well. Just throwing one at mac because he cries all the time about shortboarders and it's not a longboard comp blah blah.

Last night was the first night I watched. So that sums it up.for most people. In saying that, two Johns was farking amazing in his semi I thought. He made sh1t look like chocolate.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
20 May 2016 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Tux said...

Macaha said..

Well said Mac

I agree as well. Just throwing one at mac because he cries all the time about shortboarders and it's not a longboard comp blah blah.

Last night was the first night I watched. So that sums it up.for most people. In saying that, two Johns was farking amazing in his semi I thought. He made sh1t look like chocolate.

Sadly i think the tour is more about were they can sell product these days then surf quality They showed footage of the merchandise shed often with the stuff flying out the door

Not too mention the phone adds and their market penetration to the Brazilian hoards.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
20 May 2016 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Moving forward

Parko and Mick have both lost the love to compete,Bede well as much as I love the guy will struggle to make a full recovery and will retire soon and TB retired.

So who's going to dominate JJ GM

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 May 2016 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

How many of you watched any of the brazo comp?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
22 May 2016 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

TBH its the first comp that really didn't excite me in any way. I saw highlights on FB only. I would have liked to have seen some of the girls, but the time difference was also just out for me.

Will sit and re watch the Margies pro on 9 today though..

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
22 May 2016 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

I did why are you asking

Polluted sky,water and sh-t surf,not one g-string to be seen,total let down

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
22 May 2016 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Yep I watched it...or tried to watch it.
I seriously found it un-inspring and very lack lustre. Yes the skills of the athletes were there, and having competed and won server times at international competition level, I can appreciate the effort these surfers put into the event, but it as an "event" simply it was not great.
Sadly for me, the venue has taken away from this. The wave quality for me, was simply not there to produce "a quality spectator product".
I am sure the competition was fierce amongst the athletes, but it was not a spectator (media form) event for me.
The commentary was talking up the moves, turns and event so bad, that it became a farce for me to watch.....!

Was there some awesome moves and turns, yes there were, was it the greatest surfers surfing the best waves producing the best surfing.....nup far from it.
In there end I only followed.
Did I follow the results, watch the highlights a high scored waves, yes. Did the (highlights inspire me .... no not really ...caveat Medina's air WAS something else..that was cool and I normally am not impressed by the air game .... I love rail to rail :) )

The questions I would ask
Does this venue produce a "world class wave" ...cause that seems to be the issue ... certainly the issue is over the last few years there.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 May 2016 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said...
chrispy said..

I did why are you asking

Polluted sky,water and sh-t surf,not one g-string to be seen,total let down

I asked because I wanted to know how many people on here watched,as I know everyone's has watched the three aussie comps. I just face palmed myself for responding,my question was obvious?

I was a bit like jb,as in getting fb clips. I did watch the whole last night,which I did not mind sorta.......well no,I loved jj in his quarter and semi.

I would like to see the viewing figures they have for all the comps.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
30 May 2016 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Love to be a chic on the world tour right now - beautiful fun waves and the swell should climb as the day progresses. This is what the tour should be about - not those crappy beachies in large metropolitan locations. Bring back the dream tour !

Did you see this footage of Tyler a few days back? No hands pit - beautiful effort

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
30 May 2016 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Got to say that Bethany blows my mind. What a person. Goodness knows how she even manages to paddle back out half the time - but she can smash it when she gets on a good one.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
30 May 2016 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Got to say that Bethany blows my mind. What a person. Goodness knows how she even manages to paddle back out half the time - but she can smash it when she gets on a good one.m

agree what a big upset this win was epic

AndyrooMac
TAS, 1925 posts
30 May 2016 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

Ted the Kiwi said..
Got to say that Bethany blows my mind. What a person. Goodness knows how she even manages to paddle back out half the time - but she can smash it when she gets on a good one.m

agree what a big upset this win was epic

Totally agree, what a legend...

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
30 May 2016 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

I'm sorry but outside Tyler, Stef, Charrisa and Sally watching the girls surf cloudbreak in anything that gets close to over head is ****ed...all these bottom seed chicks are ****ing useless have a crack girls...if I see anymore half assed turns in the middle of the face I will loose my ****

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"2015 Comp Thread" started by Macaha