Forums > Surfing Longboarding

2015 Comp Thread

Created by Macaha > 9 months ago, 27 Feb 2015
SP
10979 posts
8 Jul 2016 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

And whats under KS freakish feet this week.

Someone taking something that someone else did and putting their own tweaks to it..

beachgrit.com/2016/07/discover-kelly-slaters-new-j-bay-board/

DISCOVER: SLATER’S (NEW) J-BAY BOARD!

Shaped by sixty-two-year-old Hawaiian Keone Downing!

Were you surprised, like me, when Kelly Slater beat a sun-ripened Filipe Toledo in three-foot rights two nights ago?Although riding, as previously written “at a jerky trot”, the one element that did appear to favour Kelly was a heavier than usual surfboard.And, this wasn’t a surfboard from some boyish wunderkind, Tomo or whomever, but the sixty-two-year Hawaiian Keone Downing who, and let’s give credit where it’s due, won The Eddie in 1990 and who has been shaping since 1976.

A figure of some importance you’d say.A brief history from the Encyclopedia of Surfing:“In the 1990 Quiksilver/Aikau event, still considered by many to be the most exciting big-wave contest ever seen, (Keone) Downing was regarded as a longshot contender. But he selected waves perfectly, went through the one-day event without so much as a slip or bobble, and led from start to finish. He rode a board shaped by his father. Downing’s $55,000 winner’s check was the sport’s biggest-ever cash prize at the time.In 2013, the 59-year-old Downing was on the alternate list for the Quiksilver/Aikau event. He also owned and operated Downing Hawaii, the surfboard shop his father launched in 1968.”It says a lot, to me, about Kelly’s appreciation of the craft of surfboard making that he would approach Keone, in the first place.

As it transpires, Keone built Kelly two boards for last year’s J-Bay contest, one a five-ten, one a five-eleven,Keone didn’t hear anything for a year until, two nights ago, he woke up to a text from Kelly telling him he’d ridden the five-ten and that he might want to check the heat analyser to examine its performance.

The board in question Keone calls the M2K, because of the influence of two shapers, Maurice Cole and Martial Crum, and his own first initial.

Keone had traded boards with the 1988 world champ Barton Lynch, whom he knows well and who was riding a Maurice Cole, and was fascinated by the performance of the deep single concave.Around the same time, his pal Martial Crum was working on a “booster pocket” or deep concave in the tail section of the board.
Keone moved the single concave back between the legs (“This is where the drive is going to come from,” says Keone), threw in a little booster pocket, made it to Kelly’s dimensions (5’10” x 18 3/16″ x 2 1/4″) and glassed it with four-ounce both sides with a four-ounce stomp pad 13 one third up the board. This ain’t no hyper-light epoxy.“You’ve got to give credit to who inspires you,” says Keone. “We’re all artists, we’re all inspired by something.

There’s something that triggers our inspiration that makes you want to go out and create. I always appreciate those people.”

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
8 Jul 2016 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

SP said...
Interesting..

beachgrit.com/2016/07/j-bay-mix-up-your-turns-worm/

Intro below,

It’s like every guy wants to win the same way. No one trying to draw a different line. Coach mentality. Win at any cost and the fans pay the price.J-Bay’s so fast, so much opportunity to wind up for something huge. Throw some improv. Instead I’m watching high talent choreography. Everything pre-planned, nothing off the cuff.

Interesting piece. I watched Connor after his heat and he basically said that he was trying to enjoy the lovely walls and thought that was aesthetically pleasing to people watching but the judges thought otherwise. I like his style.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
8 Jul 2016 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Matt met up with Connor during the quick pro and said he was a really down to earth nice guy,hooking up later in the year to do some work together.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
8 Jul 2016 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said...
SP said...
Interesting..

beachgrit.com/2016/07/j-bay-mix-up-your-turns-worm/

Intro below,

It’s like every guy wants to win the same way. No one trying to draw a different line. Coach mentality. Win at any cost and the fans pay the price.J-Bay’s so fast, so much opportunity to wind up for something huge. Throw some improv. Instead I’m watching high talent choreography. Everything pre-planned, nothing off the cuff.

Interesting piece. I watched Connor after his heat and he basically said that he was trying to enjoy the lovely walls and thought that was aesthetically pleasing to people watching but the judges thought otherwise. I like his style.

He was also saying that he was going full rail carves which had always been judged highly..... He was far from happy.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
8 Jul 2016 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

I think he will take over the style mantle once Parko calls it quits.

Nice work Young Mac - hope he takes him somewhere nice !

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
9 Jul 2016 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Parko v Wilson

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
9 Jul 2016 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sebas out, Wilko out - should see some good shifts in the leaderboard after this event.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
9 Jul 2016 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
Sebas out, Wilko out - should see some good shifts in the leaderboard after this event.

And my fantasy surfer suffers

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
9 Jul 2016 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Julian smashes 2 Brazo's in head high rippable waves. Nice work.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
10 Jul 2016 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Jordy not happy after that QF - weird heat - strange last 5 minutes. Great post interview from Rosy to JJF "you guys are so confident that you can do big airs at the drop of a hat......when it gets to that stressful situation you guys do not even have faith in a floater?" (or similar) GOLD

JB won't be happy as it looks like this comp finish might drag on

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
10 Jul 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Jordy not happy after that QF - weird heat - strange last 5 minutes.

Cant really blame him Ted,they knew the report that the wind would pick up and they still sent the first QF out,poor call.

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
16 Jul 2016 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

MF is on a 4 channel wide swallow tail ...

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
16 Jul 2016 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bazz61 said...
MF is on a 4 channel wide swallow tail ...

It looked really nice. I have four channel the same as that on a single fin and goes real good. his first wave on it looked ok

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
16 Jul 2016 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Wilson over Medina

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
16 Jul 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Finals was great fun to watch. I really enjoyed it and glad MF got up for the win. The Semi final was too good not to watch with MF and JW

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
17 Jul 2016 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

How good was Mick! Pulls it off without an air in sight! Yew!!

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
18 Jul 2016 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Seems it almost excited the mainstream as well ! MF got the first 5 mins here and they loved him

iview.abc.net.au/show/offsiders/series/0/video/NC1614V024S00

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
18 Jul 2016 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

I thought Julian Wilson surfed better than Mick in the semi,well it was more pleasing to the eye for me,smooth and powerful,i thought mick was lucky with that 9

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
26 Jul 2016 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

The US lottery Open is on at the moment in typically crap waves

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
26 Jul 2016 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
typically crap waves

Agree its rubbish most of us would drive past that crap.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
26 Jul 2016 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

I was just thinking that...lucky they've got 100K for the winner or they would get told where to stick it

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
26 Jul 2016 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

I think its the 10,000 points that probably most want. Win one of these things and you are basically on the tour next year - plus $100k would be nice

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
26 Jul 2016 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

Ted the Kiwi said..
typically crap waves

Agree its rubbish most of us would drive past that crap.

Maybe you QLDers but id surf them

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
1 Aug 2016 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

More rubbish for the final of one of the richest comps on tour, WSL = Joke.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
1 Aug 2016 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
More rubbish for the final of one of the richest comps on tour, WSL = Joke.

Its fooking rubbish....I wouldn't even surf that slop

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
2 Aug 2016 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Potential start - 1pm our time.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
2 Aug 2016 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

Anyone manage to get the webcast working?

SP
10979 posts
2 Aug 2016 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Nope, but I don't think it has started yet.

I think it got bumped to a midday there time call.

Edit - looks like it started. Can't get it to work still, will try McGuanes link.

McGuane
484 posts
2 Aug 2016 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tux said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

Anyone manage to get the webcast working?

Yep. Worked via Ted's link... then i chose the youtube option....

SP
10979 posts
2 Aug 2016 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Cheer McG..

That one works..

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"2015 Comp Thread" started by Macaha