Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Is Volume really your friend

Created by Macaha > 9 months ago, 25 Jan 2015
stuk
NSW, 893 posts
3 Feb 2015 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

This convo led me to outline this www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surfing/Longboarding/HP-longboarding-VS-logging/

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
3 Feb 2015 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

I know I can do peoples heads in so I'm told a massive rethink and the Noserider is coming back to the nest just refined a tab.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
3 Feb 2015 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Bloody hell Chrispy - all talk and no action - again Still waiting.................

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..
first post I have read in a couple of days,and what a cracker it is...sadly im rooted and off to bed...cant wait to reply and here the replies to this....great post again

asea
NSW, 5510 posts
3 Feb 2015 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
I know I can do peoples heads in so I'm told a massive rethink and the Noserider is coming back to the nest just refined a tab.

WTF

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
3 Feb 2015 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
asea said..

Macaha said..

WTF

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
3 Feb 2015 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

I just watched 4 short vids from a bloke who knows his way around a surfboard. Yes he has had an injury earlier in the year but what was surprising is that I am normally accused by my mates and others of riding boards that have too much volume ( I might have also levelled the same at LL but then he is substantially lighter than me ) But what struck me after watching this - is that this bloke is the shaper to the stars and surfs pretty dam good himself - and here he is riding boards that I thought would be too much volume for him. He is 94kg and riding boards around the 43 litre mark as a general rule. I weigh a bit more than him and ride the same if not less. I guess this just emphasises to me that volume definitely is your friend. If its good enough for him then I can just stop defending myself Scroll through the first 45 seconds of each one.

www.theinertia.com/surf/lost-surfboards-matt-biolos-and-his-dream-quiver/

asea
NSW, 5510 posts
3 Feb 2015 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Yes volume is my friend when i'm not surf fit but once the fitness level is up i can then reduce width thickness etc,but still keeep the 2 boards .

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
3 Feb 2015 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said..
I just watched 4 short vids from a bloke who knows his way around a surfboard. Yes he has had an injury earlier in the year but what was surprising is that I am normally accused by my mates and others of riding boards that have too much volume ( I might have also levelled the same at LL but then he is substantially lighter than me ) But what struck me after watching this - is that this bloke is the shaper to the stars and surfs pretty dam good himself - and here he is riding boards that I thought would be too much volume for him. He is 94kg and riding boards around the 43 litre mark as a general rule. I weigh a bit more than him and ride the same if not less. I guess this just emphasises to me that volume definitely is your friend. If its good enough for him then I can just stop defending myself Scroll through the first 45 seconds of each one.

that's old but still a great read ted. it goes back to what I say about the carpark experts. im so glad I have a shaper who is not afraid to hurt my ego in order to keep me on boards that will help me improve and to love surfing them.

I went to a big goldcoast brand and what they recommended was scary. I would have been completely underwater. I guess that's the difference from a shaper and a board company

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
3 Feb 2015 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..
I went to a big goldcoast brand and what they recommended was scary. I would have been completely underwater. I guess that's the difference from a shaper and a 15 year old freckled kid

Fixed it for ya

I love it when they try and tell me what to ride - normally about 10 litres out comfortably

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Feb 2015 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

chrispy said..
I went to a big goldcoast brand and what they recommended was scary. I would have been completely underwater. I guess that's the difference from a shaper and a 15 year old freckled kid

Fixed it for ya

I love it when they try and tell me what to ride - normally about 10 litres out comfortably

ted, as I've tuned in to my shorties again im dropping vol.

as a matter of fact as much as the puffer is/was a good board to me after the flying fish I have decided to move it on as now it feels to much board.

the flying fish is actually a better paddler

but im still of the opinion a little more is better then too less

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Feb 2015 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said..

i was reading on mr's blog that if he didn't make his boards he would ride thats guys boards

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
3 Feb 2015 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

chrispy said..

Fixed it for ya

ted, as I've tuned in to my shorties again im dropping vol.

as a matter of fact as much as the puffer is/was a good board to me after the flying fish I have decided to move it on as now it feels to much board.

the flying fish is actually a better paddler

but im still of the opinion a little more is better then too less

Im with you on your last call ^^ Its funny eh every break has guys paddling around riding boards that are to small, ego driven, misinformed and im riding this size cause Kelly/man crush is blah blah blah even had a guy in the new year on the north coast tell me " man your not really surfin if your on a board more than 6 10. NFI. This kook and hes harem were paddling for everything and catching f...k all, funny as. Moral to the topic is find out for yourself what suits and feck the opinions of the wannabes. imo.

Flight
NSW, 9 posts
4 Feb 2015 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Well I am really confused with that formula. I am looking at buying a new board and after talking with Ron Goddard he suggested the sunrise. We recently returned from Raglan with a Raglan HP Longboard for my partner and she loves it. After riding my McKee 91 the RL HP is faster and feels cleaner on the wave. Not that I know that much, am still such a hack. Anyway, the question is how much difference will a change in width make between the Sunrise at 21 3/4" and the Raglan HP at 22 1/4?
I am 74kg 182cm and intermediate surfing ability.

thanks

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
4 Feb 2015 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

Yes it is in this case, grasshopper!

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
4 Feb 2015 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

New toy CF? Please expand

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
4 Feb 2015 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

It's a bit early for that...literally.

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
4 Feb 2015 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Picked this up this morning to replace my Michael Cundith 7' 7T that I sold in a weak moment. Good to have a board like this for my local sometimes.
7' X 20&1/2 X 2&7/8" AB 81 pipe masters board model shaped by Dale Wilson of Byrning spears.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
4 Feb 2015 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

beautiful ! ! ! ! !

thePup
13831 posts
4 Feb 2015 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

What he said hope she goes off for ya mate !!

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
4 Feb 2015 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

OMG that board is the Ants Pants,love it!

asea
NSW, 5510 posts
4 Feb 2015 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
beautiful ! ! ! ! !

+1

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
4 Feb 2015 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks all...it is really beautiful!
Waves were looking a tad scruffy after I picked it up so I'll see how things are looking tomorrow for the early before those big tides swallow everything.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
4 Feb 2015 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Noice

SP
10979 posts
4 Feb 2015 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Now that's a good looking board...m

I reckon Cobra might even cave to that..?

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
4 Feb 2015 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

very nice

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
4 Feb 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said..
Picked this up this morning to replace my Michael Cundith 7' 7T that I sold in a weak moment. Good to have a board like this for my local sometimes.
7' X 20&1/2 X 2&7/8" AB 81 pipe masters board model shaped by Dale Wilson of Byrning spears.

so very nice. board culture have a bunch of those sleds. I did dribble a lot when I was picking them up. nice work cuttlefish

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
4 Feb 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said..

Stunning! I have a 6,3 AB and I love the thing. It is the best board I have ever ridden. I love the single that should fly!!!!!

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
4 Feb 2015 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Come on can't we all be friends
edit-I guess not

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
4 Feb 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said..

Sweet looking board, gotta luv channels.
The wave count for me would be miniscule if I rode this board at a competitive spot.

AndyrooMac
TAS, 1925 posts
4 Feb 2015 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

This one's easy, to answer the original question "is volume your friend", the answer is yes, surfing a board with no volume is a physical impossibility

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Is Volume really your friend" started by Macaha