Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Is Volume really your friend

Created by Macaha > 9 months ago, 25 Jan 2015
Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
5 Feb 2015 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Found this shot of AB riding the original 7'er in what I assume is the 81 pipe masters.
It's a shame the swell had dropped so much overnight as I wanted to take it for a spin.
Hopefully it will come back up enough overnight to give it a paddle in the morning.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
5 Feb 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Good to see you getting some Kiwi groove in to your style CF - hope it goes well for ya.

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
5 Feb 2015 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Cuttlefish said..
Found this shot of AB riding the original 7'er in what I assume is the 81 pipe masters.
It's a shame the swell had dropped so much overnight as I wanted to take it for a spin.
Hopefully it will come back up enough overnight to give it a paddle in the morning.

Bit of a read on AB here as well

http://www.surfersjournal.com/allan-byrne-still-byrning

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
5 Feb 2015 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Good to see you getting some Kiwi groove in to your style CF - hope it goes well for ya.

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
8 Mar 2015 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

On the subjects of longboards what kind of volume does one need (or dimensions) to be able to knee paddle a longboard easily if you where 90 kgs?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
8 Mar 2015 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said...
On the subjects of longboards what kind of volume does one need (or dimensions) to be able to knee paddle a longboard easily if you where 90 kgs?

My hot log 9'8 had 78 l and im 72 kgs did it well.

The evo 9'6 I could do it ok dont know the volume there.

9'1 evo 2 no good

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
8 Mar 2015 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

I had a look around and found this old thread about knee paddling longboards.
Saw it was several pages and figured it would have some good info.
It didn't even make it to the end of the first page before it went off topic and then Roy turned up on page 2 and it got entertaining.
forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16209

RoyStuart
532 posts
8 Mar 2015 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

I was right, and still am.

Let's face it most of these know it alls regarding rolling under just bail and rely on the leash most of the time anyway, so their opinions are just hot air.

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
9 Mar 2015 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Right or wrong is immaterial to me since I had no dog in that fight...er I mean discussion.
Though I have been on the receiving end of the throw the board away in front of me surfers at my local point.
I just wanted to figure out the requirements necessary for an effective knee paddler from the knee paddler thread.

wavelength
1195 posts
26 Apr 2015 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

There's a guy up here selling a 6'4 Merrick Biscuit on Gumtree. I was curious abut the volume and went to the website and saw that it's 47.4 litres. That's an SB that would even float my curvaceous form.
Amazing how much volume they are getting into some sub-7ft boards these days. Still, there's the glide-factor to think about...

And there's a nice quote that may have been shared before from Rob Machado: “…foam is your friend…don’t be scared of it. A little bit of extra foam here and there is good for the soul… and your surfing.”

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
26 Apr 2015 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wavelength said...
And there's a nice quote that may have been shared before from Rob Machado: “…foam is your friend…don’t be scared of it. A little bit of extra foam here and there is good for the soul… and your surfing.”

A bit of extra foam hasn't done me any harm

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Apr 2015 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

it is everyones friend... I have just dropped down a bit on my new one,and although the paddle is a we bit harder,when you get on that wave it does make a big difference....on longboards a few litres here or there means fark all imo. just like taking away a 1/4 here and adding a 1/2 there,its a scam

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
26 Apr 2015 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Vanders likes to show some foam from time to time sorry Vanders

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
26 Apr 2015 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Vanders likes to show some foam from time to time sorry Vanders

That's a low blow my friend, still sulking and trying to numb the pain.

CrossStep
SA, 210 posts
26 Apr 2015 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Volume is my friend and understanding lover

She has been there on my journey back from the brinks of "Lardism".

She cresses and coaxes me out each session ensuring my ego is still pumped by a high wave count.

She is forgiving and patient, allowing for amateurish mistakes as I continue ego driven quest to cross step up and down the board, even allowing for those moments when I go for a switch stance (pretty high failure rate there atm).

We have an understanding that while her lussious curves don't allow for knee paddling, she doesn't keep point out that it has something to do with my weight, and further caresses my ego by allowing me to use my weight to burry the rail on a bottom turn.

Is she perfect? Well no! Like all women, she has "no go zones" . I am allowed to get within reach of her nose, but beyond that she is very firm that I need to shape up a lot more an loose more kilos before my toes are allowed to move anywhere near her front and caress those edges...... sigh!

Understanding? Yes.

Patient? Yes.

Forgiving? No. Be in too much of a rush to get out the back and not time sets properly and she will remind me of the importance of patience and timing with all of her volume. On smaller days I am left upside down holding onto her as we thrash around in the white water hoping she hasn't had enough and bail me.

On larger days she reminds me of just how tenuous our relationship is when I am left with no other option but to giver her her moment of freedom and hope she comes back to me , believe me there has been occasion when she has left. Leaving me to contemplate my stupidity and lack of patience/ timing as I chase her pack to the rocky shore.

Opps, I seem to have gone off on a tangent.

Volume definitely has its benefits, but as someone who has come from ridding a "Shark Biscuit" years ago, I miss being able to duck dive under waves.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Apr 2015 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CrossStep said...

She cresses and coaxes me out each session ensuring my ego is still pumped by a high wave count.

She is forgiving and patient, allowing for amateurish mistakes as I continue ego driven quest to cross step up and down the board, even allowing for those moments when I go for a switch stance (pretty high failure rate there atm).

We have an understanding that while her lussious curves don't allow for knee paddling, she doesn't keep point out that it has something to do with my weight, and further caresses my ego by allowing me to use my weight to burry the rail on a bottom turn.

Is she perfect? Well no! Like all women, she has "no go zones" . I am allowed to get within reach of her nose, but beyond that she is very firm that I need to shape up a lot more an loose more kilos before my toes are allowed to move anywhere near her front and caress those edges...... sigh!

Understanding? Yes.

Patient? Yes.

Forgiving? No. Be in too much of a rush to get out the back and not time sets properly and she will remind me of the importance of patience and timing with all of her volume. On smaller days I am left upside down holding onto her as we thrash around in the white water hoping she hasn't had enough and bail me.

On larger days she reminds me of just how tenuous our relationship is when I am left with no other option but to giver her her moment of freedom and hope she comes back to me , believe me there has been occasion when she has left. Leaving me to contemplate my stupidity and lack of patience/ timing as I chase her pack to the rocky shore.

Volume definitely has its benefits, but as someone who has come from ridding a "Shark Biscuit" years ago, I miss being able to duck dive under waves.

Thank you so much for that post.....beautiful stuff

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
26 Apr 2015 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said...
CrossStep said...

Understanding? Yes.

Patient? Yes.

Thank you so much for that post.....beautiful stuff

+1

surfbroker
NSW, 1488 posts
26 Apr 2015 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said..
I had a look around and found this old thread about knee paddling longboards.
Saw it was several pages and figured it would have some good info.
It didn't even make it to the end of the first page before it went off topic and then Roy turned up on page 2 and it got entertaining.
forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16209

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..
I was right, and still am.

Let's face it most of these know it alls regarding rolling under just bail and rely on the leash most of the time anyway, so their opinions are just hot air.

Will the real Roy Stuart/Stewart please stand up ...or is this for Taxation purposes ?

sgo
VIC, 161 posts
26 Apr 2015 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

This is the official way, as taught in 1965.
(And yes, I know it's not double overhead, but that's not what I surf.)

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
27 Apr 2015 3:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sgo said..

This is the official way, as taught in 1965.
(And yes, I know it's not double overhead, but that's not what I surf.)

wow when was that taken and from where?

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
27 Apr 2015 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Look at that hipster with no legrope.!!

sgo
VIC, 161 posts
27 Apr 2015 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Instructions on eskimo roll taken from: Petersons surfing yearbook No.2 1965.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Is Volume really your friend" started by Macaha