NSW, 249 posts
30 Dec 2015 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vanders1 said...
LanceF said..

Macaha said...
Asea or L fish is my guess

Not me, I've got all I need, last board all sorted, going exceptionally well after my last tweak

Good to hear mate, tell us more about the tweak.

You need to see it to believe it

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
30 Dec 2015 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LanceF said...
vanders1 said...
LanceF said..

Macaha said...

Not me, I've got all I need, last board all sorted, going exceptionally well after my last tweak

I reckon it's got a couple of extra appendages?????

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
30 Dec 2015 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

A few more.

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
30 Dec 2015 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Obct coping part of his old board,whats the secret in that.

LanceF
NSW, 249 posts
30 Dec 2015 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vanders1 said...
LanceF said...
vanders1 said...
LanceF said..

Macaha said...

Still a single.....

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
30 Dec 2015 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LanceF said...
vanders1 said...
LanceF said...
vanders1 said...
LanceF said..

Macaha said...

Still a single.....

Ok well you've given me an excuse to come down and see for myself.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
30 Dec 2015 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tux said..

chrispy said..

chrispy said..

just because im getting excited now

I am also visibly excited by that photo

i got a call this afternoon......im even more excited

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
30 Dec 2015 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Me too more photos please!!!

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
31 Dec 2015 1:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Obct coping part of his old board,whats the secret in that.

I actually took design cues from at least 3 boards, maybe more;

1. Plan Shape

This was the easiest, I like a pintail and my SSD is a pin tail, I simply used that with 8" out of the middle.

2. Rails

Yes, similar to the munoz, but because this board is one inch thicker than the munoz, I had to find a way to blend them in without resorting to a stepped deck, hence 3, the chine.

3. Chine

I like the way Argee does chines, so I did some of them, that kind of fooled my rails into thinking the board was around 3/8" thinner than it really was, hopefully it will also fool the waves. They don't go all the way, about 17" back from the nose and 20" up from the tail, they're fully blended into the rails.

4. Tail foil and kick

My SSD has a lot of both and I like the way it turns, so I did a lot of foiling of the tail and a big kick. Plus a friend of me and MR has a board made in NZ that's got a heap of tail kick, and we reckon it goes like a busted arse.

5. Rocker

Almost continuous, maybe about 9" in the centre where it almost disappears, but even then it's making room for the double conc

6. The underside

No real inspirations here, just my imagination, I tried to commence the double conc around 40" up from the tail, it slowly fans outwards until it blends in with the end of the rail chines and flows out the sides, the tail has a vee, but not a biggy . The only other unusual thing is a small flat planing surface up near the nose, you would be hard pressed to see it and it can't really be called a conc. it's only around 9' wide, and around 18" back from the nose. It wasn't a mistake, I meant to put it there, but I just don't know why.

If I can't catch waves on it, I'm going to cut it up and pretend it never happened.

Radman
WA, 629 posts
31 Dec 2015 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Whipped up a new 9"3" x 23x3 rssmalasmoo pig carbon and 4oz lay up got a 10" messiah for Christmas to dip in it Froth

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
31 Dec 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

OBCT

Awesome! Some of our greatest achievements in surfboard design are a result of imagination! I hope this is truly an awesome riding board or you, there would be nothing better than the feeling of creating a board that works ( And is symmetrical )

I tried shaping a board a couple of times years ago, and each time i tried to ride mine they were dog's LOL!! But they were really ugly, dodgy and in no way symmetrical. What you have there looks great OB!

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
31 Dec 2015 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Well bugger me sideways with a stick, it works

First the bad news, the reason I built it is because I wanted to see if board thickness is a substitute for board length because I want to surf sub 10ft, and still get early entry. A mate recently bought a Walden mega magic at 4" thick and he's happy with it but I didn't want to spend over a $1000 to find out for myself.

After riding this one, I'm convinced length will give a better result in terms of wave catching ability.

I went to a break I never go to where I knew no one I know would see me, it was a very fast and short beachy with a sand bank ready to pounce if you did not bail in time. Just on the paddle out I thought I'd made a big mistake, it felt like I was teetering on top, I doubted I could even pop up safely. I finally managed to get up the guts to take off on a good sized left, I know it was a good size because a couple of SB hooted me as I was going across the face. No radical bottom turns, just an angled take off, straight ride and ease out over the lip well before things got interesting. I survived.

Paddled a bit further north looking for a right and when I finally got one, I got a face to work on, did not shuffle backwards, just extended my right foot, pushed hard, lent back and waited for the disaster. Nothing happened other than a big sweeping backhand, recovered and went across the face with an adequate degree of speed.

It does seem as if it moves water under it very quickly considering it's 24 wide and 4 thick.

Soon after that I got out and drove up to a point break with a tiny 1 foot wave, once again, it proved to be not great, but at least acceptable at catching waves and when given anything remotely like a face, it wanted to shed water quickly and turn sharply.

As expected, it treated any visit to the nose with distain and promptly sank into the abyss .

I may put my so-called all rounder in the rack and keep this one and the hot log in the car for a while to see it I can get anything else out of it.

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
31 Dec 2015 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Radman said..

Whipped up a new 9"3" x 23x3 rssmalasmoo pig carbon and 4oz lay up got a 10" messiah for Christmas to dip in it Froth

Cutting the rail bands on that must be really tricky.

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
31 Dec 2015 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obct said..

First the bad news, the reason I built it is because I wanted to see if board thickness is a substitute for board length because I want to surf sub 10ft, and still get early entry. A mate recently bought a Walden mega magic at 4" thick and he's happy with it but I didn't want to spend over a $1000 to find out for myself.

After riding this one, I'm convinced length will give a better result in terms of wave catching ability.

I went to a break I never go to where I knew no one I know would see me, it was a very fast and short beachy with a sand bank ready to pounce if you did not bail in time. Just on the paddle out I thought I'd made a big mistake, it felt like I was teetering on top, I doubted I could even pop up safely. I finally managed to get up the guts to take off on a good sized left, I know it was a good size because a couple of SB hooted me as I was going across the face. No radical bottom turns, just an angled take off, straight ride and ease out over the lip well before things got interesting. I survived.

Paddled a bit further north looking for a right and when I finally got one, I got a face to work on, did not shuffle backwards, just extended my right foot, pushed hard, lent back and waited for the disaster. Nothing happened other than a big sweeping backhand, recovered and went across the face with an adequate degree of speed.

It does seem as if it moves water under it very quickly considering it's 24 wide and 4 thick.

Soon after that I got out and drove up to a point break with a tiny 1 foot wave, once again, it proved to be not great, but at least acceptable at catching waves and when given anything remotely like a face, it wanted to shed water quickly and turn sharply.

As expected, it treated any visit to the nose with distain and promptly sank into the abyss .

I may put my so-called all rounder in the rack and keep this one and the hot log in the car for a while to see it I can get anything else out of it.

Yeeeww! Great result! You must be stoked, good on ya!

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
13 Jan 2016 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Bump. Get those other things out of my board build thread, boys.

SP
10979 posts
13 Jan 2016 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obct said...

Do we get a photo???

i always preferred wider and thinner over narrow and thick but at 24" guess you can't go much wider?

How wide is your nose?? Good spot to hide extra volume..

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
13 Jan 2016 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Are you female SP

SP
10979 posts
13 Jan 2016 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Na, but you might wanna get checked out if a post about surfboards in a surfing forum makes you think of dick?

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
15 Jan 2016 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obct said..

Radman said..

Glassing it wouldn't be much fun either I expect

Radman
WA, 629 posts
17 Jan 2016 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tux said...
obct said..

Radman said..

Glassing it wouldn't be much fun either I expect

Shaped with hot wire and sand block I don't use a planer using templates as a guide on the high side peice a piss test drive tday glassed on Friday in biaxial carbon and one layer of 4 oz came out bang on 4 kg Dek feels super tough added a layer of 2 oz on dek filler coat use international high build and finish spray bog Bit rough but I like it

[:

)]

Radman
WA, 629 posts
17 Jan 2016 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Tank test

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
17 Jan 2016 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

It floats!!

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
18 Jan 2016 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Forgive me I've just ordered a new board..

Think my sunset board FB square tail with splayed stringers and add wheels,yes my man Brett is making me a skateboard.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
18 Jan 2016 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Forgive me I've just ordered a new board..

Think my sunset board FB square tail with splayed stringers and add wheels,yes my man Brett is making me a skateboard.

how
come.

is the other one worn out.

or are you collecting.

new trucks and wheels?

are you going to have a copy skateboard for every longboard you own.

fascinating to see them

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
18 Jan 2016 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting finish radman, I was thinking of doing something similar, but only to hide my poor glassing.

looks like you did the filler coat with a black pigment, sanded it back, and then put on another filler coat on with blue pigment Before sanding back again. Where did the white come from?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
18 Jan 2016 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obct said..
Interesting finish radman, I was thinking of doing something similar, but only to hide my poor glassing.

looks like you did the filler coat with a black pigment, sanded it back, and then put on another filler coat on with blue pigment Before sanding back again. Where did the white come from?

my guess is the black is carbon.

0ne

then the filler coat was white, then blue paint, sand back.

two

most likely tho . carbon lay up, white under coat, blue finish coat, sand back= brushed carbon look

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
27 Jan 2016 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

New boardzzzzz hopefully this is the correct thread I wouldn't want to hi-jack and all

Heading down to Byron to pick up one on Friday or Saturday the other is a week away.
I'd post my artwork up here but some would just laugh and I couldn't blame them for
my grade one sketch

McHenry there you go mate I can pick up your McCoy this week or it can wait until the
following.

JB, mite get to meet you Friday if your unlucky

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
27 Jan 2016 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Mac isnt one of them just a plain white one!!!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"New boards." started by SP