Created by towball > 9 months ago, 20 Jun 2012
thePup
13831 posts
18 Jan 2017 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towball said..

I like

Jesus I just fertilised ...... that is wicked TB .... how's the tailblocking - do like the art swirling into the middle brother - BUY BUY BUY

SP
10979 posts
18 Jan 2017 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Be a shame to surf that one... The tail block is a work of art in itself.

Is that a Roger Hall TB???

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
18 Jan 2017 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

Ted the Kiwi said..
Massive infection in my leg - over 2cm deep and 10cm long. Out of hospital 2 days ago - been in since the 3rd - 3 hospitals 2 countries. 2 operations. Nightmare start to the year. No surfing for a long time. Need the gash to heal. Can not complain as at least I still have my leg ! Was pretty scary for a few days there. I would post a pic but pretty ugly so will not

Hey TB - why the new job - thought you were retiring

Agree I've seen this leg and its far from being sexy

So others can avoid...did you have a good 1st aid kit... how did it start out Ted.. missus kickn ya back into line...reef cut /scrape in Indo..if you could put up some info about what you may have done differently then maybe others may avoid the same ..ps heal quick mate ..!

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
18 Jan 2017 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Bit unlucky to be honest Bazza. I am well versed in keeping control of cuts and infections in Indo but this one got away from me. I fell through a rotten floorboard - full of white ants etc. My leg swelled up instantly but did not lose a lot of skin or blood. After a few days of icing it the swelling came down and I was back in the water surfing. A couple days later I banged it on my board and it really hurt. I went back to Bali that day and decided to rest it. In the space of about 4 hours my leg swelled up - had a big bad hematoma blow up. Leg hurt like hell. I went to the hospital where they drained my leg of excess blood (150 ml approx from front of leg) and cleaned the wound out. I then had to wait a few days to get a plane out to Oz - as needed to be in business class to rest the leg and there were no seats - also was in no state to fly - was in absolute agony and was also nervous about flying with a blood clot. They had diagnosed me with a fractured knee at this stage. Back in Oz a CT scan confirmed this was a minor break and from a previous injury. Relief.

Back in Oz - straight from airport to hospital - fun times. They operated immediately - and cleaned the wound out completely as they were worried about infection on the bone. They also put me on an IV and gave me some heavy doses of antibiotics four times a day for the next 12 days. Infection reading should be less than 10 - I was at 155 for several days before the antibiotics kicked in - was at 8 when they released me from hospital. It was scary being in hospital and seeing your leg get worse and worse as the infection grew before the antibiotics started to work.

The wound is a good 10cm long by 2 deep. The main change that would have restricted the damage is that I should have been put on an IV drip in Bali immediately. The problem was they thought I had a fractured knee and there was no way I wanted it operated on in Bali - wanted to get back to Oz to do that. So whilst they wanted to operate in Bali - I should have got them to do the full wound clean out under a general and then dealt with the fracture later. That way I would have been on the IV sooner and that probably would have reduced the infection issue - but we will never know. At that stage I thought I had a fracture on my knee and was concerned about the orthopaedic surgeon I would be getting and how much time I would be out of the water / how to get home etc. Most of my family work in the medical world and their advice was to not operate in Bali - get out of there first.

Main thing is to keep a close watch on any possible infections and keep them clean and moist. If they start to go bad get yourself to a hospital quick smart to get on some IV antibiotics. They work a whole lot more effective than the pills. Also they need to take your bloods to work out what bacteria you are fighting and hence what antibiotics to give you. I had two bugs to fight. Which made it a whole lot worse than just one. I am still a bit nervous about how I should manage things going forward. It was pretty scary to think I might lose my leg for a few days there. It has certainly got me thinking. I will go back to wearing booties now and be a lot more anal with any cuts I do get. I will be spending a lot more money on waterproof wound packets - no cutting corners there. I am normally pretty good with cleaning my wounds several times a day and keeping them covered. But defintely room for improvement - lesson has been well and truly learnt / drummed into me.

After 20 plus years of Indo adventures its fair to say there is still much to be learnt.

towball
4627 posts
18 Jan 2017 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Massive infection in my leg - over 2cm deep and 10cm long. Out of hospital 2 days ago - been in since the 3rd - 3 hospitals 2 countries. 2 operations. Nightmare start to the year. No surfing for a long time. Need the gash to heal. Can not complain as at least I still have my leg ! Was pretty scary for a few days there. I would post a pic but pretty ugly so will not

Hey TB - why the new job - thought you were retiring

Sorry to hear of your problems Ted , Job is not permanent a project at a new sawmill so maybe another two weeks . I was happy doing 25 hrs a week but the Dicks I sold my company to announced 3 weeks before xmas that they had sold to an opposition company with religious ties , call me stupid but I wont work for tax dodgers. I am enjoying what I'm doing ATM, going to be good to see it running .

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
19 Jan 2017 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Morning gents this chick knows her board art

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
19 Jan 2017 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Bad news ted hope you make a speedy recovery and back in water soon.had a similar thing cpl years back septic arthritis in knee hope your not out for as long as I was

thePup
13831 posts
19 Jan 2017 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Morning champions ..... dunno where the swell went , very small offerings today .... water was awesome tho

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
19 Jan 2017 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Nice board, nice swimwear, nice smile, nice day.

NICE.

ET.

towball
4627 posts
19 Jan 2017 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

The Far North two days ago

thePup
13831 posts
19 Jan 2017 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Geez hahahaha that looks wicked TB mate .... how's the paddle back out

MickPC
8266 posts
19 Jan 2017 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towball said..
The Far North two days ago

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
20 Jan 2017 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..
Geez hahahaha that looks wicked TB mate .... how's the paddle back out

Always heaps of current at that place Pup. Very unusual sized swell for this time of the year. Great pic TB - brought back some memories - cheers for posting.

SP
10979 posts
20 Jan 2017 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Yeew...

That is unreal....

SP
10979 posts
20 Jan 2017 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Yeew...

That is unreal....

MickPC
8266 posts
20 Jan 2017 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

You can say that again SP

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
20 Jan 2017 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
You can say that again SP

Just imagine if that was only one of about 7 breaks on that headland that you are looking at right now

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
20 Jan 2017 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

God morning looks lovely Je Teds second home has some swell.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
20 Jan 2017 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

that shot is taken about 20m from my front door !

thePup
13831 posts
20 Jan 2017 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

good morning greenroom ..... asea (the) ..... suave silky smooth bastards ..... harlots of glass & fins ..... roadtrippers & stay at homes ..... the worthy ..... the unwashed but surfed out .....

well I had a rotten surf - it was porridge ..... hoax ..... got nuthin' to report there sadly

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
23 Jan 2017 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Work, work and work again. This Monday morning crap is ruining my life, I am too busy to be at work.

At least its a short week, I might just be sick on Friday, yep can feel it coming on already.

Lets go, the day is there to be had.

ET.

SP
10979 posts
23 Jan 2017 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
E T said..
Work, work and work again. This Monday morning crap is ruining my life, I am too busy to be at work.

At least its a short week, I might just be sick on Friday, yep can feel it coming on already.

Lets go, the day is there to be had.

ET.

Yeah blocking out that day as out of office was my first job on my first day back last week.

3 day week...

Enjoy the day ET...

thePup
13831 posts
23 Jan 2017 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

we bid you a good morning from here ..... barely knee high for the early surf sadly

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
23 Jan 2017 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Morning fellas - I have another week off work - courtesy of spending a fair bit of time in hospital over the weekend - getting pretty bored though. Into my 4th week of lying down with my foot up. Almost out of TV series and movies to watch. Read every website I ever wanted and some more. Read lots of books as well. I am actually ready to go back to work as soon as I have enough energy ! Seriously.

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
24 Jan 2017 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty good surf at makorori today.......towball is a worry........he had some idea in his head that he should be at work

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
26 Jan 2017 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Morning guys!

Happy Australia Day...

Check out a reply to my "iPhone" thread in General Discussions... For a laugh... I'm ready for a new phone, and the first response is a mild level insult! :)

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
26 Jan 2017 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Happy Straya day from my current location

towball
4627 posts
26 Jan 2017 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Looks nice Mac have a good one

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
26 Jan 2017 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

stay calm towball.....bad surf early this morning, Bit of swell size going on

thePup
13831 posts
27 Jan 2017 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Mornin' TB if ya out there , don't work too hard now champion ..... morning to all other fragments of the greenie

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"The Good Morning thread" started by towball