QLD, 21884 posts
29 Jan 2016 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Macaha said...

laceys lane said..

Mate we are only going Byron no need for makeup

So you want me to wait while train on a 666 big ask champ!

Price you pay for having someone along who at least looks the part

Please please stop taking selfies and post them on Instagram first you did the reverse mirror shot now its the classic watch model shot.

SP
10979 posts
29 Jan 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
climber said...
Well, Just got back from a week in the Byron area. (Broken Head)
Monday to Wednesday 2-3ft warm SE swell, light breeze and lots....and I mean lots of wave..made a pig of myself (as did my son )..these days were just fun waves with some great long rides... rode everything from mals to shortboard..

Thursday and Friday....ahhhh the NE blew in so no surfing, but did notice the changing swell direction and it growing in size

Wake up Saturday .... OMG, what a difference 12hrs would make. The place became no place for a mal....! Light NE - E breeze and 4-6ft standing up solid on the sand making the faces at times well in the double OH mark. Some of the bomb sets would send the entire crowd heading for the horizon....if you did not make it... It felt like you were being slighted to Perth
(For those that know the place, at times the waves would break over the sisters....!)

Broke out the 6'10...with some serious trepidation, but heh ..YOLO .. Got some epic rides and some EPIC wipeouts (read ; I think I Paid my life insurance type thoughts after sufacing ).
One attempt to paddle out after the return run back around from the previous wave and timing it wrong saw me washed some 300mtr down the beach back to the exit point from the ride. Other fared worse with numerous broken boards. Many of the better surfers (not me) pulled some great and brilliant barrels ... I stayed well clear of those although some chose to close out over me ..... not my choice...just bad positioning by yours truly.
Fell asleep at 8.00pm ...but with us leaving on Sunday.. I was keen for one more thrashing.
Woke about 5.00am and the wafts of a light SE breeze...waiting for enough daylight

All I can say about Sunday .... Long....Clean ...Faaaaaaast .... Unforgiving ...... and please can I do it all again.
No wind, tide high so the full length of the back was on...
After an 1.5hrs and some awesome waves, I got out (thank God, we packed the night before...totally stuffed). Spent time watching the crowd grow and wave after wave being mauled by some incredible surfing. Far there are some brilliant surfers on this planet..was in awe of the display!
Best session on big wave I have ever had... crowd was insane but with so many waves it just did not matter.... I can still feel the adrenaline in the system today...yeeeewwwwwwwwww

Awesome post Climber..

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
29 Jan 2016 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

Swell has dropped here and tide too high for the place I wanted to go so I paddled the river instead. Had a nice swim because it was pretty hard work. I'm happy because I at least did something.

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
29 Jan 2016 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..

jbshack said..
This looks the most interesting beach option today. Sitting watching the officials wonder what to do next

P]

Your looking at the wrong side of the lighthouse with that wind.

Too many sharks on the other side

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
29 Jan 2016 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..
This looks the most interesting beach option today. Sitting watching the officials wonder what to do next

I have been asking people all week why is that boat just anchored in the middle of the bay and most hadn't even seen it. Now I guess it got their attention

[:

P]

Okay I been doing a lot of research regarding how the boat got there and I've managed to narrow down the suspects.

It's either these two

Or this guy

I'll let you know for sure when I nail the perp

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Jan 2016 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Okay I been doing a lot of research regarding how the boat got there and I've managed to narrow down the suspects.

It's either these two

boat shoe wear types I would say- asea and mac

ps that's done it. im in deep now

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
29 Jan 2016 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
29 Jan 2016 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

Imagine if it was a "toes on the nose" shot ....!

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
29 Jan 2016 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

I think he needs more volume

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
1 Feb 2016 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Sunday
Up early, boards loaded and up the beach ( to point far far away ) with family and another mate (of my 14yr son)
Top day ...warm clean water, fun beachie.
Boys had a ball on esky lids mostly as the wave was short and spent the day filming each other.... i am stunned at what they are producing in a small clip from a second hand iPhone 5 and a $29.00 soft water proof case on iMovie...gobsmacked )
(Yes it is Bic board in the foreground .... teaching my sons mate to surf)
My mal never came of the roof ..spent the day on 6'4 x 21 x 2.5 quad

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
1 Feb 2016 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
climber said..
Sunday
Up early, boards loaded and up the beach ( to point far far away ) with family and another mate (of my 14yr son)
Top day ...warm clean water, fun beachie.
Boys had a ball on esky lids mostly as the wave was short and spent the day filming each other.... i am stunned at what they are producing in a small clip from a second hand iPhone 5 and a $29.00 soft water proof case on iMovie...gobsmacked )
(Yes it is Bic board in the foreground .... teaching my sons mate to surf)
My mal never came of the roof ..spent the day on 6'4 x 21 x 2.5 quad

Looks pretty rubbish bro!

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
1 Feb 2016 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Yep Tux.... was terrible all day....don't know how we managed put up with it...so no need to go there again

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
1 Feb 2016 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

MickPC said..

jbshack said..

P]

Your looking at the wrong side of the lighthouse with that wind.

Too many sharks on the other side

That was one point but TBH i looked at it a couple of times and it looked very un ruley and TBH my shoulders were aching from all the paddling already. I didn't feel comfortable watching a couple of young very fit looking guys struggle to get back in after being washed out constantly. A few locals latter agreed saying it was the nastiest they had seen it for some time. A few brave souls also said it was the best they'd had in years..

Actually the surf all week was okay only really the last day it swung to the North.

Oh and Mac i only just saw your post saying you were coming down, sorry i didn't reply, but it all worked out well in the end

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Feb 2016 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Nothing like a bit of Royalty thrown into the mix aye Climber Had some very memorable waves at that place - so nice when school holidays are over !

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
1 Feb 2016 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

after checking earlier and finding little i waited for the tide to come up and scored some knee to waist high lefts on this bank all by myself. There was a bit of backwash which I didn't mind too much. Had a few nice rides. The 11 footer just ate it up.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
1 Feb 2016 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Nothing like a bit of Royalty thrown into the mix aye Climber Had some very memorable waves at that place - so nice when school holidays are over !

+1 had some great surfs there. I wonder what the road in is like these days.

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
1 Feb 2016 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't want to hi jack your holiday JB,glad you got some waves during your stay and a storm or two.

So Jb how was it,seriously you have to tell us,you met Lacey was he everything you expected or less

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
1 Feb 2016 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Pay that one.
Its time you had a win

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Feb 2016 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

Actually the surf all week was okay only really the last day it swung to the North.

Oh and Mac i only just saw your post saying you were coming down, sorry i didn't reply, but it all worked out well in the end

So what everyone really wants to know - was it:
1. Same as Perf
2. Worse than Perf
3. Better than Perf

Because everyone in Perf always moans about the waves and most people in the Greenroom have spent time at BB so would be able to relate

SP
10979 posts
1 Feb 2016 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Surely it has gotta be better then Perf, you picked a good week to be there JB, did you surf the beer garden board ?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
1 Feb 2016 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..
Surely it has gotta be better then Perf, you picked a good week to be there JB, did you surf the beer garden board ?

I just had a long thread typed out but pictures crashed my struggling Macbook

Short answer yes better than Perth and yes rode the board

Ill try again shortly

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Feb 2016 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

I hate that. Save it in word n cut n paste across when done. Saves you in the end

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
1 Feb 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smh said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

+1 had some great surfs there. I wonder what the road in is like these days.

Road .... you call it a road ...goat track to himalaya mountains more like it .... only taken by pilgrims being punished for their sins against mankind now and for eternity......... road ..pftttt

Beach on low tide ....highway on high tide ...even the track north of the point is very slow going...took 30mins to do the 16km.

Yes Ted and SMH, it can and does produce fantastic "royal" like waves.... love the place

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
1 Feb 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Kids back to school and had a few hours with 4-6 others in some nice and clea shoulder to head high waves at Ocean Beach, feeling much better now
should be on again tomorrow, hopefully that crowd thins out a bit?

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
1 Feb 2016 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surf69 said...
Kids back to school and had a few hours with 4-6 others in some nice and clea shoulder to head high waves at Ocean Beach, feeling much better now
should be on again tomorrow, hopefully that crowd thins out a bit?

Right. I'm there.

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
1 Feb 2016 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
jbshack said..

So what everyone really wants to know - was it:
1. Same as Perf
2. Worse than Perf
3. Better than Perf

Because everyone in Perf always moans about the waves and most people in the Greenroom have spent time at BB so would be able to relate

It had a wave (any wave) two days in a row - it's better than Perth.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
2 Feb 2016 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Surfed a few wonky ones on Saturday with quite a 15 others....surf was OK but the general level of kookness was out of control....dudes just making cow eyes at you as you took off to sacred to paddle either left or right.

Sunday was an odd one indeed had a about 4-6 foot of swell coming from the SE meaning all the usual spots had waves breaking in the channels and were running up the opposite direction on the reef...went out at the usual spot early and took of on a 4 footer that hit the inside and doubled in size before detonating right on top of me and bring ten of its mates straight after...20 minutes of paddling to get of teh cliffs and I was done.

Sunday arvo headed to a beachie and surfed pumping lefts for about 3 hours...happy days

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
2 Feb 2016 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Tiny low tide dribble here at the moment. Going to paddle the river this morning and have a look when the tide comes up. Might try that little bank I rode yesterday

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Feb 2016 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

really wanted to, be it was just sh1t.

and not worth being late for work

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
3 Feb 2016 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Todays Broad Beach surf report : Yawn ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz................................................................

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo