Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
1 Feb 2015 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

I hope you had your back to the water, Smiko, that would have been torture!

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
1 Feb 2015 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Bit $hit mate.
Sunset was pretty epic though.
And it wasn't all pruney cougars.

Niknot
WA, 52 posts
1 Feb 2015 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Huge numbers at _____ point n beach looled like snapper from swellnet cam on Friday n sat. Hope the vibe was good. Got a few myself sat morn at nearby beachie, yes they are mostly strait close outs but I left with a grin and jelly arms n legs, Stoked sorry no pics don't want to give away secret location

moohan
WA, 147 posts
1 Feb 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

In JB's defence, there looked to be a bit of a jump in swell on Friday evening. Surfed waist to chest Friday morning with the kids, then popped down to the local protected break after dinner for a swim and was surprised to see it had a decent wave and a sizeable shorey (for this time of year).

TimKay
752 posts
1 Feb 2015 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

No waves of consequence today but the the crowd was.

Souwester
WA, 1258 posts
1 Feb 2015 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
moohan said..
In JB's defence, there looked to be a bit of a jump in swell on Friday evening. Surfed waist to chest Friday morning with the kids, then popped down to the local protected break after dinner for a swim and was surprised to see it had a decent wave and a sizeable shorey (for this time of year).

Def. pulsed Friday, watched Trigg stretch on way home after work, a bit of grunt in it and was war and offshore to boot!

IMO stoke is in the eye of the beholder, some people froth on waves other don't rate, I know I do at times ha ha. Just love getting out there sometimes.

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
2 Feb 2015 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Agreed.

Left work early and headed to the local beachie with a couple of mates. It was perfect glassy offshore conditions, with warm water and as good a swell as we've seen in the metro area since probably october.

Granted, it was pretty damn straight, and the backwash made for a couple of spectacular wipeouts, but the water was beautiful and it was pretty uncrowded if you were willing to walk more than 100m from the carpark.

Sometimes the best sessions aren't the ones with the best waves...

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
2 Feb 2015 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
moohan said..

Thanks for that, i was amazed TBH on what Friday offered. As i said i rushed down as my mate had already grabbed my boy, i had the wrong board sadly and was stunned at what was on offer. This particular spot when it works can be rather special. If i find any picks from the night ill share.. The larger sets had guys hanging back and when someone actually did take one, the beach was cheering/scretching, but it ends up shallow and it is heavy..But they when pulled into the pit were well over head

A couple of mates surfed of shore that night they say 5 to 6' at an offshore spot just up the road, best they have seen they said..

Sat had less people but the vibe was not about sharing at all. A few grumps were trying to take all the waves so it ended up literally shoulder to shoulder bumps on take off. I actually thought two guys must have been mates the way they were bumping, turns out they weren't

Sunday Morning three more hours of the best to date. Smaller again but with my two kids only, a mate and his boy. The joy i got from that surf will last me for sometime. My sun was pulling into is first barrels, (all be it closes outs) my daughter managed to work on her style. Trying to stop her from holding her arms like a Dinosaur.

SO yes as has been said, surfing/stoke is in the eye of the beholder

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
2 Feb 2015 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjshack said..
... my daughter managed to work on her style. Trying to stop her from holding her arms like a Dinosaur.

What, like a t-rex?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
2 Feb 2015 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said..

bjshack said..
... my daughter managed to work on her style. Trying to stop her from holding her arms like a Dinosaur.

What, like a t-rex?

Haha yep. She then pokes them straight out, then back to T rex. Its rather funny

She rides a long board so i just say let em hang..

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
2 Feb 2015 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LateStarter said..
Agreed.

Left work early and headed to the local beachie with a couple of mates. It was perfect glassy offshore conditions, with warm water and as good a swell as we've seen in the metro area since probably october.

Granted, it was pretty damn straight, and the backwash made for a couple of spectacular wipeouts, but the water was beautiful and it was pretty uncrowded if you were willing to walk more than 100m from the carpark.

Sometimes the best sessions aren't the ones with the best waves...

damn you sea breeze! under called the swell and I arrived just in time to watch the sun disappear behind pretty damn fun looking barrels.

next day was about half the size. oh well being summer and all I only have 2 months to wait till the next swell.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
2 Feb 2015 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Don't worry - you're not the only one missing out. I cannot even recall the last time I had a decent surf. Must be getting too old for the close-out/back-wash/straight-hander/grommet-filled waves on offer of late... just does not get my juices going at all.

moohan
WA, 147 posts
3 Feb 2015 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

At least school holidays are over.

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
3 Feb 2015 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
moohan said..
At least school holidays are over.

There are pros and cons to that statement!

Last winter i took a day off work and headed south. Was having a magic session all to myself in near-perfect conditions when a bus full of frothing groms from the local high school arrived.

Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
3 Feb 2015 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..
Don't worry - you're not the only one missing out. I cannot even recall the last time I had a decent surf. Must be getting too old for the close-out/back-wash/straight-hander/grommet-filled waves on offer of late... just does not get my juices going at all.

Ditto!

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
3 Feb 2015 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Buster fin said..

GPA said..

Ditto!

You guys should have stopped at my local last night. It was like one of those videos you see of closeouts onto sand. This morning i lent over and had salt water with SAND come out my nose..
I was really just out with my kids, but the water was so nice i thought id try my luck. As luck has it i survived unscathed..

Lets hope we get a bit of a push buy the weeks end

quirkus
WA, 322 posts
3 Feb 2015 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

jb ,, I checked you local today,, mate,, only water skiers down there today..

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
4 Feb 2015 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
quirkus said..
jb ,, I checked you local today,, mate,, only water skiers down there today..

Haha i also looked at our old local SPOT and the same..The ocean is flat as

Razzonater
2224 posts
4 Feb 2015 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

i got nothing working few days left....than i will attack anything thats breaking. note to huey please send swelland eaterly winds on the 11th.

quirkus
WA, 322 posts
4 Feb 2015 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Was down there today mate,,, nice scenery,, water was beautiful.. almost had it to myself..
Discussion while waiting between 20 minute waist high 'sets' was about booking indo trips.. !!

Souwester
WA, 1258 posts
5 Feb 2015 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Woooo Hooooo sick waves this morning, had a great glassy, bowly wave with some size and power with only about 5 out before the circus arrived, literally.

It was like I blinked and then there was 8 beginners, 3 free swimmers, a SUP and a few body boarders on the bank...

I don't care though, had some ripper waves before work with a good mellow crew while the circus was still rolling around in bed hitting the snooze button.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
7 Feb 2015 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

boat trip tomorrow should be good

byf
WA, 512 posts
7 Feb 2015 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

Sweeeeet mate. enjoy

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
7 Feb 2015 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
byf said..

DARTH said..

Sweeeeet mate. enjoy

Cheers mate :)

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
8 Feb 2015 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

More crap today. This is getting beyond a joke.

Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
8 Feb 2015 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Worst summer ever?

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
8 Feb 2015 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ haha I'm sure you guys say that every year

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
8 Feb 2015 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Nup. Defo the worst summer I ever recall. Have a look through my pics for summer waves 2010 onwards, this year has been absolutely ****ed. I've had one half decent surf since I got back from Indo on the 4th November.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
9 Feb 2015 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Buster fin said..
Worst summer ever?

No question - fact. I am not that fussy... just looking for something with a bit of shape - instead of these small wind affected straight-handers!

I hit LBB early yesterday and it was wonky waist high at 7:30am... by the time it had half sorted itself out there were 60 - 70 people over a 100m stretch of beach (it was not breaking south of the main spot). 4/10 for the waves and 4/10 for my out of form attempt at surfing!

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
9 Feb 2015 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Checked every break South of Mandurah on Saturday morning.

The exposed beachies were small and straight while none of the reefies were breaking.

Had a good laugh at Avalon - the carpark was overflowing and there must have been 75 blokes out in the bay, with another 30-odd and a comp being run at the point. I didn't see a single wave break at either spot in the 25 mins i was watching.

Do these kooks even bother to look before paddling out?

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie