Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
mitchbat
WA, 397 posts
9 Feb 2015 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Had cracking waves at a DS reef break Saturday. Only 4 of us out for the early session and then went back for another go with the hoards in the arvo. A welcome relief from the weak slop on offer here

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Feb 2015 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Ya gotta travel if you want waves, Ive surfed nearly every weekend and great waves not garbage

Buster fin
WA, 2577 posts
9 Feb 2015 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

But I'm so over travelling.

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
9 Feb 2015 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..
Ya gotta travel if you want waves, Ive surfed nearly every weekend and great waves not garbage

Yeah - but there are times when you simply cannot travel - family, work, home maintenance etc... There used to be a time where if you had a spare 90min or so you could hit a metro spot and be pretty sure you'd get something reasonable... even go the arvo sesh after you'd been down that morning... now it's just rubbish day after day.

Yes I might be getting old and grumpy and picky, but this year I have really noticed it.

PS - how was you boat trip?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
9 Feb 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

DARTH said..

Yeah - but there are times when you simply cannot travel - family, work, home maintenance etc... There used to be a time where if you had a spare 90min or so you could hit a metro spot and be pretty sure you'd get something reasonable... even go the arvo sesh after you'd been down that morning... now it's just rubbish day after day.

Yes I might be getting old and grumpy and picky, but this year I have really noticed it.

I travelled down to Busso for the swim on the weekend, and TBH the drive from North of the river, its a long way for a surf. I can't believe people get a chance to do that and back in a day..

Buster fin
WA, 2577 posts
9 Feb 2015 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..
GPA said..

DARTH said..

I travelled down to Busso for the swim on the weekend, and TBH the drive from North of the river, its a long way for a surf. I can't believe people get a chance to do that and back in a day..

That's what I'm talking about!

Surfstarved
78 posts
9 Feb 2015 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

I concur, have not had much of a surf this summer although I have enjoyed the lack of heat waves. Kharma, I feel huey's going to serve up a thumping winter for us this years... Fingers crossed!

DJMWA
WA, 344 posts
9 Feb 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

I was actually thinking this was a good summer until I really thought about it. I can count the number of times I've surfed for more than 45 mins on one hand. Heaps of medium
Sized swells (for metro summer) but always combined with **** wind, tide and/or direction.
I too am enjoying the mild heat, so stoked I waited to buy the aircon till the end of the season.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Feb 2015 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

DARTH said..

Boat trip was great, surfed a great left over head and uncrowded for quiet a while. Until the SUP zombies turned up. Explored some other waves that would be cranking on a slightly bigger swell. Great day for it as well

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
9 Feb 2015 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said...
byf said..

DARTH said..
boat trip tomorrow should be good

Sweeeeet mate. enjoy

Cheers mate :)

That channel bottom Byrne is a cracker! Did you get it new or score it second hand?

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Feb 2015 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Had it made in 09 for an Indo trip, best board I have ever owned

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
9 Feb 2015 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
Pity about the pot plants!

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
10 Feb 2015 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..
^^^

Pots are okay, plants, can't see any

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
10 Feb 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

GPA said..
^^^

Pots are okay, plants, can't see any

No saving them

Hey JB we need to catch up, I need my board bag back

Razzonater
2224 posts
10 Feb 2015 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

surfed twigg point this morning crowded and hectic. managed to smare three runners called it a success and left it to the masses

Kimosabi
23 posts
11 Feb 2015 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

So who scored this set today????

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
14 Feb 2015 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

lookin good for tomorrow

mitchbat
WA, 397 posts
15 Feb 2015 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

^^ I thought the same Darth. We were both wrong. The beachies could do with a bank or two

Surfstarved
78 posts
15 Feb 2015 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

I don't understand. Can someone explain to me the difference between a 3m swell in summer and 3m in winter? Driving up the hills of scarborough bch rd I was itching for finally a decent surf and felt quite let down. Wave size was punching shoulder to head on some sets. Felt like a typical summer day with nothing more on offer. Not many crew were getting much either.

TimKay
752 posts
15 Feb 2015 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Just had a sticky beak on the surf cam
Looks like Armageddon

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
15 Feb 2015 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

I must be getting too fussy... I just couldn't get excited about the 200m long close-outs or the shoulder to shoulder reefies... I'm desperate for a surf but I just can't get motivated with that. And finding a parking spot - good luck!

I might go back down for the after lunch sesh and see if the crowds have thinned and then try and pick the 1/20 waves with some shape...

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
15 Feb 2015 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mitchbat said..
^^ I thought the same Darth. We were both wrong. The beachies could do with a bank or two

Went north, found gold, few crew but got a fair few. Lost a fin changed boards couple more and then done.

Bit over head high bit bigger on the sets but wasn't the 3.0 that was showing on the rotto graph??

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
15 Feb 2015 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..
I must be getting too fussy... I just couldn't get excited about the 200m long close-outs or the shoulder to shoulder reefies... I'm desperate for a surf but I just can't get motivated with that. And finding a parking spot - good luck!

I might go back down for the after lunch sesh and see if the crowds have thinned and then try and pick the 1/20 waves with some shape...

I tried Mettoms early but the waves were so fat the Long boarders were even struggling. When the bigger sets came they had very little shape. Wrong board and wrong spot.. Still stretched the arms, but won't be rushing back

Souwester
WA, 1259 posts
15 Feb 2015 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Had solid beachy waves north of big smoke, strong offshore made for some last minute drops. A few bush chooks on way home after a solid surf (not driving of course) and I am done!

subasurf
WA, 2154 posts
15 Feb 2015 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Got up this morning, chucked a few boards in the car......was pulling out of the driveway and decided "**** it" and went with the gf to get breaky and see the giants instead.....I'm guessing I made the right call?

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
15 Feb 2015 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
Yes you did!

I did two trips and nearly 2hrs driving up and down the coast pulling into spots along the way... ended up doing a 2km swim at the local outdoor pool

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
15 Feb 2015 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah JB - I was very surprised how fat Mettams was given this morning's low tide... looked better at about 12:30pm for the glass-off, but still not great.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
15 Feb 2015 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Am I the only one getting waves around here??

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
16 Feb 2015 6:02AM
Thumbs Up

No

DJMWA
WA, 344 posts
16 Feb 2015 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Been getting a few surfs in the past week, nothing to write home about bit definitely better than just surfable.

Sunday crowds were out of control (which was no surprise) up at everyone knows where. Got an hour in from 5.15 before the crowd made it literally Unsurfable. It still boggles my mind how crew can rock up, have a look at 50+ ppl in the water and still go "yeah ill paddle out and get a couple". Even if you do jag a set it's just a nonstop obstacle course out there when it's that busy. Crazy

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie