Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
Legion
WA, 2222 posts
19 Jul 2013 1:09AM
Thumbs Up

Winter never came. The watercorporation website rainfall stats tells the story. One storm in May. Tuesday doesn't count - it was a pissweak 24 hour thing. We really need about two good three day+ storms a month for a good winter. It's almost too late to recover this winter.

I didn't really get it when everyone was so stoked during June's fine weather. Day after day of small groundswell and day after day the banks were getting straighter.

Give me a rainy, stormy winter any day. Regular big storm events. Much more interesting too.

moohan
WA, 147 posts
19 Jul 2013 3:37AM
Thumbs Up

Wonder how much the new extended rouse head rock wall (right on top of one of the funnest storm waves Perth had, no point hiding it cos its buried now) will effect long shore drift?

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
19 Jul 2013 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

2nd CP was OK. Only 4 out at 8:30am... some clean shoulder to head set waves, but the peaks were shifting around a lot and the SSE was giving it a bit of wonkiness... If you picked the right wave they had a nice take off and enough power for that one big move off the lip... I had three waves I was happy with and a few junkers in 70min.

3rds looked bigger and more consistent, but looking at it from the north angle it seemed to be quite straight...

A lone 666 was tackling the rip in front of the dunny block.

6/10

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
19 Jul 2013 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Head high with some very nice peaks,then the sweep.took me to really nice rip bowl. Surfed with 2 others and one was a learner. His mate and I kept calling him into close outs. I thought he would have learned. Great morning

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
19 Jul 2013 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..
2nd CP was OK. Only 4 out at 8:30am... some clean shoulder to head set waves, but the peaks were shifting around a lot and the SSE was giving it a bit of wonkiness... If you picked the right wave they had a nice take off and enough power for that one big move off the lip... I had three waves I was happy with and a few junkers in 70min.

3rds looked bigger and more consistent, but looking at it from the north angle it seemed to be quite straight...

A lone 666 was tackling the rip in front of the dunny block.6/10

Gee, I hope we get a bit of a spike in the swell overnight!!

Shamansurfer
14 posts
19 Jul 2013 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smicko said..

I know I sound like a broken record, going on about the "good old days" but that joint used to get so good. Just A frames up and down the beach. And Tearooms? Sheeeeez, big bowling lefts from out past the groyne to the pylon. Had a share house in John street for a couple of winters in my late teens and that joint was nuts.

I have photos of that place (actual photos, not digital) from years ago firing! Also some nice ones of tearooms from the late 90's. Perfect banks at both! Big long hollow lefts! Tearooms could be compared to pipeline spits!

Ive always been thinking about why we dont get the swell/banks we used to. My theory is the shipping channel headding out to sea is wider and deeper than it was (which it is).

rbl
WA, 153 posts
19 Jul 2013 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Smoking pits at tea rooms now all we need is some of subas board shorts

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
19 Jul 2013 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Nope, we don't get the NW fronts that we used to. That and the dune stabilisation that most metro councils have undertaken.
As to Cott, yeah I have very pleasant memories of being completely surfed out, thawing out in front of the fire with a middy in hand in the front bar watching lefts still reeling off.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
19 Jul 2013 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shamansurfer said..

I have photos of that place (actual photos, not digital) from years ago firing! Also some nice ones of tearooms from the late 90's. Perfect banks at both! Big long hollow lefts! Tearooms could be compared to pipeline spits!

Please post!

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

2nd CP was OK. Only 4 out at 8:30am... some clean shoulder to head set waves

Head high GPA? Cott Buoy was 0.5m this morning and Rotto 1m. You're not on a boogy board are you?

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
19 Jul 2013 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

3 hours with me, myself and I this arvo. Classic conditions for the local. Super low tide and rising swell

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
20 Jul 2013 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

The beach was even colder today then last week. Sadly surf was as bad too

Having said that, still had a ball and would do it again. I guess im easily pleased.

Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
20 Jul 2013 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Was it cold? I didn't notice!

sparki
WA, 410 posts
20 Jul 2013 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Wasn't that cold fellas! Maybe a brisk offshore had some say in it, but it wasn't bad. Surfed a well known wave today for ~3hrs. Fluctuating numbers, inconsistent size and some very inconsistent banks. The sessions started of well though with plenty of waves coming through - and sizeable ones at that. Ended the session with very long waiting periods. Managed to get the first wave in a while that allowed for more than one heavy hack... 3 to be precise. Good feeling knowing the wave is allowing you to throw some water. Now somewhat knackered.

Souwester
WA, 1259 posts
20 Jul 2013 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Im with you JB, I found it very cold this morning, paddled out at sunrise, was the first time in a while that I gradually got colder as the session went on ha ha I know, what a wuss!)

Snagged a few nice waves, popular peak up the beach had about 15 on it at one stage, was sharing the peak I was on with 4 max so was pretty cruisy. Sitting still during the lulls was when I noticed I was cold, had to keep moving

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
20 Jul 2013 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Bank to myself for 3 hours. 2', occasional 3' sets. Lefts and freight train rights. Guys on the next bank also getting some nice ones. Large male seal surfaced nearby, scared the crap out of me.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
20 Jul 2013 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Did you head north?

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
20 Jul 2013 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Found a fun new southern reefie. Super clean, fairly consistent and not another soul in sight for the entire session.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
20 Jul 2013 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Great pic and even better score yeeeew

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
20 Jul 2013 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smicko said..

Did you head north?

No, metro area. A bank that's been reliable since early June, but not Little Trigg Pt 2013 Edition (obviously, given the lack of crowds).

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
20 Jul 2013 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Did better than us by the sound of it mate, went north mid morning and whilst it had glimpses of brilliance it was kinda meh. We both got a couple but not the ones we saw from the beach. Frigging expensive surf with the thirsty new bus too, gonna have to find an extra passenger or two for quick raids I think. Or learn to curtail my overtaking.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
20 Jul 2013 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Empty bliss yesterday and today.

Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
21 Jul 2013 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Not too shabby!

Count me in for combustible resourcing, Smiko.

BTW, what is your new carriage?

mocha1
WA, 932 posts
21 Jul 2013 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

Nissan patrol ROCKETSHIP but loveas the jootz...can feel it pulling to the left every time you pass a servo

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
21 Jul 2013 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mocha1 said..

Nissan patrol ROCKETSHIP but loveas the jootz...can feel it pulling to the left every time you pass a servo

I drive a Petrol Prado. I normally manage about 1250 kms on 180 liters of fuel. Lately i have only been getting under a 1000 kms..

Im hoping my mechanic can find something wrong

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
21 Jul 2013 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greenroom said...
Empty bliss yesterday and today.

Shark fest
Nice wave though

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
21 Jul 2013 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said...
Shark fest
Nice wave though

Yep. About 100m out the back I saw a big fish leap out of the water. Something was chasing it
I guess that's why I usually have the place to myself. Dark water and an area with shark attacks already under its belt

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
21 Jul 2013 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Buster fin said..

^^^ Not too shabby!

Count me in for combustible resourcing, Smiko.

BTW, what is your new carriage?

4.8 Patrol Buster and it's a thirsty beast, 18.75lt/100km to Wedge and back yesterday

And yep will give you a hoi next run.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
21 Jul 2013 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

I got 5.5L/100km coming home from Neerabup (60km trip) last Sunday according to trip computer. Same size/aerodynamics as the GU brick.

OK, the trip computer exaggerates by up to 2L/100km and it was a northerly, beginning of the storm.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
21 Jul 2013 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah but the 80k difference in purchase price buys a few litres.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
21 Jul 2013 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hmm, you've got me there. Lucky I can't afford new, but still a premium.

On topic, looks like a few fun days coming up this week if the planets align just right.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie