Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Winding on a Wizard 125 & i76

Created by AB_Carve > 9 months ago, 25 May 2020
AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
25 May 2020 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried winding on their wind foil gear? Does it work?

I have a Wizard 125, 90cm mast and i76 and wondered whether it'd work with a Duotone wing .... or are windfoil specific boards such as the Wizard no good for winding?

Windbot
487 posts
25 May 2020 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

I am considering the same thing on my 125 with the 84cm wing. I once saw someone on Instagram doing it on a 125 and it looked fine, of course I couldn't see what wing they were using and it was a very brief video clip. I once heard from Slingshot's Instagram account stating it was doable too. I am sure someone will come on here and tell us to just drop $2k on an Outwit, just like I was told my slalom board wouldn't be great for windfoiling when I'm fact it was rad and afforded me the chance to dip my toes in before committing to windfoiling. I get that the Wizard's Tuttle box is so far back compared to a wing board, but the c-position for the wing and standing farther aft should help a bit. Here's a Levitator getting it done albeit with a foil mast track. I vote you go for it and report back!

simonp123
90 posts
25 May 2020 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I've just started winging and had two sessions on my Wizard 103L with the Naish S25 5.2m and Infinity 84 / 90 cm mast. It worked well and winging is easy. After a couple of hours on the water I was making most of my foiling gybes.

I was sceptical about wings but they are amazing because they act like a kite. If you get overpowered just park it overhead in the low power zone. When there's a lull bring it down into the power zone. I actually felt more comfortable in gusty winds than I would with a windsurf sail (I've been windfoiling 3 years and windsurfing 35 years). The pumping is crazy because the wing is so light. It feels like you're doing nothing but the board picks up speed. I think the pumping also works as you push the wing away as well as when you pull it towards you.

The front foot straps on the Wizard 103L are really too far outboard so I had to put my rear foot near the rail. For long term use I'd consider adding some more insert positions or maybe trying it without footstraps.

normster
NSW, 325 posts
25 May 2020 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks - I've got same set up so very interested as well.

also, has anyone foil supper a 125 ? I can give it a try but maybe change to c as well on fuselage - sorry to hijack

simonp123
90 posts
25 May 2020 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
normster said..
Thanks - I've got same set up so very interested as well.

also, has anyone foil supper a 125 ? I can give it a try but maybe change to c as well on fuselage - sorry to hijack

I normally find the Infinity 84 too rear footed when windfoiling in the C position (I drilled a hole for a D position). But with the wing it was too front footed and I had to place my back foot really close to my front foot. The lack of mast foot pressure from a sail seems to make a difference.

I then changed to the B position with Infinity 84. This was better when foiling in a straight line but the gybes were a bit harder. Ideally, I'd want something in the middle or change my foot strap positions.

AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
25 May 2020 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
simonp123 said..
I've just started winging and had two sessions on my Wizard 103L with the Naish S25 5.2m and Infinity 84 / 90 cm mast. It worked well and winging is easy. After a couple of hours on the water I was making most of my foiling gybes.

I was sceptical about wings but they are amazing because they act like a kite. If you get overpowered just park it overhead in the low power zone. When there's a lull bring it down into the power zone. I actually felt more comfortable in gusty winds than I would with a windsurf sail (I've been windfoiling 3 years and windsurfing 35 years). The pumping is crazy because the wing is so light. It feels like you're doing nothing but the board picks up speed. I think the pumping also works as you push the wing away as well as when you pull it towards you.

The front foot straps on the Wizard 103L are really too far outboard so I had to put my rear foot near the rail. For long term use I'd consider adding some more insert positions or maybe trying it without footstraps.

Excellent news ... thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll experiment with a Duotone 5m to get things started and go from there. If I love it I can look at a SUP foil board later on.

I'd like to use the Wizard to learn the trade so, all being well, my first SUP foil board can be a smaller board for a more direct, manoeuvrable feel.

Out of interest, what size sail would you be rigging when you go out with your 5.2m wing?

simonp123
90 posts
25 May 2020 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

AB_Carve said..

I think I'll experiment with a Duotone 5m to get things started and go from there. If I love it I can look at a SUP foil board later on.

I'd like to use the Wizard to learn the trade so, all being well, my first SUP foil board can be a smaller board for a more direct, manoeuvrable feel.

Out of interest, what size sail would you be rigging when you go out with your 5.2m wing?

I think the Wizard 125 would be fine to start with. The 103 was a bit wobbly when the wind really dropped. Starting a small board with the wing is much easier because it pulls you up as well as forwards. On the Wizard 103 I have to be careful how much power I have in the sail when starting otherwise the nose will go underwater. Didn't have that at all with the wing.

I've only had a few hours with the wing so I'm not that sure how about how much wind it needs. Towards the end of the session I was getting going in not much more wind that I would need to pump onto the foil with a 5m sail. Some of the gusts were massive and I'd have wanted a 3.7m to windfoil. The wing never felt unstable and just pulled directly upwards above my head during the gusts.

I definitely recommend going out in a strong wind on your first attempt.

AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
25 May 2020 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
simonp123 said..

AB_Carve said..

I think the Wizard 125 would be fine to start with. The 103 was a bit wobbly when the wind really dropped. Starting a small board with the wing is much easier because it pulls you up as well as forwards. On the Wizard 103 I have to be careful how much power I have in the sail when starting otherwise the nose will go underwater. Didn't have that at all with the wing.

I've only had a few hours with the wing so I'm not that sure how about how much wind it needs. Towards the end of the session I was getting going in not much more wind that I would need to pump onto the foil with a 5m sail. Some of the gusts were massive and I'd have wanted a 3.7m to windfoil. The wing never felt unstable and just pulled directly upwards above my head during the gusts.

I definitely recommend going out in a strong wind on your first attempt.

Great advice ... my first few sessions on the windfoil were a struggle as the wind was a little bit too light. More wind gives you more chance to experiment.

What position do you have your foil in? Is it in B or C? I know C brings the foil further forward and wondered if that'd be better for winding. I've left mine in B ever since buying as that works well with the i76 and Wizard.

CoreAS
906 posts
25 May 2020 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

The main difference between the W125 and a SUP foil board is the mast track location. In the pic the out wit tracks are much further forward.
having the ability to micro adjust the foil in the tracks (other than B or C) can make a frustrating session into an excellent one.
I stand much further forward on the out wit to pump the foil up, then gradually sliding the feet back depending on the wind strength.

Obviously it's another board expense but depending where you foil if it's a very gusty area it's better to go SUP/foil board, quicker learning curve.

my set up is 90 mast, 84 wing, 42 rear in B, (number 5 on the outwit track)

Windbot
487 posts
25 May 2020 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Great info here Simon, I may have to give this a try.

Samkyo
88 posts
26 May 2020 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

Really interesting, as if we look at recent dedicated wing board as the fanatic sky wing the rail move back to be at an in between more similare at a slingshot freestyle windfoil board
www.fanatic.com/foil/boards/wing-specific/sky-wing

excav8ter
550 posts
26 May 2020 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

This is another great topic. I had seen the video of the Slingwing and the Levitator too. I plan to buy an Ozone Wasp 6.0 and learn how to use it. Will probably add a dedicated winging board, but if my Levitator works well, maybe not.

Grantmac
2068 posts
26 May 2020 3:32AM
Thumbs Up

The Outwit looks like it would windfoil well with the right mast track position.
The volume behind the rider and tail kick seem like you could glide onto the foil a bit better.

BBN
14 posts
28 May 2020 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everybody,
I was searching for some info about wingfoiling on a windfoilboard quite a while.
Got it now thanks to this cool forum.
I have a Wizard 125 + i84 and i76.
Tried it last weekend Saturday on a gusty lake with the 84 + 48 in C and a Sling Wing v1.
My experience was that I almost fell of the board with the backfoot. For me the box is just to far back.
I tried it the next day on a tuned sup (rail boxes put in) worked perfect considering the crappy gusty lake.
My question now: Is there a recommendation for good setup with my gear, which is:
Wizard 125 i84 and i76 + 42 and 48 Stabilizers
Im also considering to put railboxes into the Wizard in front of the tuttle box.
Thanks in advance for some info.

Maybe I should state that I?m from Germany - so please excuse my english

Windbot
487 posts
28 May 2020 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

BBN, your English is great. Where you able to get any rides at all on the wizard? I will be trying wingfoiling in the coming weeks on the same board with an i84 in C position. If it comes to it, I will consider getting tracks mounted, but would like to avoid it if at all possible.

Perhaps you could try the 42 rear wing with the 84 to see what difference I makes.

Paducah
2536 posts
28 May 2020 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BBN said..
Hi everybody,
I was searching for some info about wingfoiling on a windfoilboard quite a while.
Got it now thanks to this cool forum.
I have a Wizard 125 + i84 and i76.
Tried it last weekend Saturday on a gusty lake with the 84 + 48 in C and a Sling Wing v1.
My experience was that I almost fell of the board with the backfoot. For me the box is just to far back.
I tried it the next day on a tuned sup (rail boxes put in) worked perfect considering the crappy gusty lake.
My question now: Is there a recommendation for good setup with my gear, which is:
Wizard 125 i84 and i76 + 42 and 48 Stabilizers
Im also considering to put railboxes into the Wizard in front of the tuttle box.
Thanks in advance for some info.

Maybe I should state that I?m from Germany - so please excuse my english

If you decide to get track mount boxes, the guys at Seatex do a great job - both in making them and installation

www.seatexboards.com/product/foil-track-mount-v-2/

BBN
14 posts
28 May 2020 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the Link Paducah.
The guys are from lake Garda, good address for us europeans, considering trans fees.

@Windbot - I had some runs up winging on the foil with the wizard - but i had to stand right back on the tail behind the tuttle wholes. Not comfortable at all and always in fear of stepping behind the board. I had a really bad injury doing so while surfing.
I tried the 42 stabilizer while windfoiling - much less backfootpressure needed with it - you are right.
But the takeoffspeed is significantly higher with the 42 stabi. and I need to get up on foil as soon as possible on the lake. Gusts come in just for a moment - but once You fly it is enough to ride a while.
Please report on your testing when you have done some.

Windbot
487 posts
28 May 2020 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hey BBN thanks for the details. A fit behind the Tuttle Box doesn't leave much room. I will definitely post up my experience. I just ordered a Naish 4.6 that will take a few weeks for the ship to get in, then I will have to wait weeks for decent wind to try it donut may be a while. I am hoping my quiver will be my current windfoil 7.3 and 5.5 sails with the wing for higher winds. I love the Wizard for foiling and would be a happy if I could use it either modded or not for winging. Keep us posted on your journey. I will also consider getting a D position hole drilled at the machine shop down the street if it means I can stand an inch further forwards.

I am also likely going to remove my rear straps as I never use them anyways and instead make a webbing loop to attach a leash. I may try building some sort of foam block like on a stomp pad so I can feel the back of the board before I get there.

simonp123
90 posts
28 May 2020 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BBN said..
Thanks for the Link Paducah.
The guys are from lake Garda, good address for us europeans, considering trans fees.

@Windbot - I had some runs up winging on the foil with the wizard - but i had to stand right back on the tail behind the tuttle wholes. Not comfortable at all and always in fear of stepping behind the board. I had a really bad injury doing so while surfing.
I tried the 42 stabilizer while windfoiling - much less backfootpressure needed with it - you are right.
But the takeoffspeed is significantly higher with the 42 stabi. and I need to get up on foil as soon as possible on the lake. Gusts come in just for a moment - but once You fly it is enough to ride a while.
Please report on your testing when you have done some.

That's strange. When I used the Infinity 84 in the C position on my Wizard 103L I found it very front footed. I had to put my back foot just behind my front foot to get the board to balance.

Did you have your front foot in the strap?

You can see from this picture that I really had bend my knees and lean forwards going into a gybe.

I normally find the Infinity 84 back footed when wind foiling. The next day I wing foiled with the 84 wing in the B position. Ideally I would have wanted it halfway between B and C

Windbot
487 posts
29 May 2020 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

Simon, perhaps the smaller 103 with less weight out front means you foot weighting is different? What size S25 are you on in the pic and how did you like it?

simonp123
90 posts
29 May 2020 1:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..
Simon, perhaps the smaller 103 with less weight out front means you foot weighting is different? What size S25 are you on in the pic and how did you like it?

I've got the 5.2m Naish S25. Haven't tried anything else but I was very impressed with the wind range and ease of use in very gusty winds. I was able to foil gybe after a couple of hours which was unexpected!

Windbot
487 posts
29 May 2020 3:23AM
Thumbs Up

Wow nice, at the rate I am headed I will have wing jibes before I ever get my first flying windfoil jibe.

BBN
14 posts
29 May 2020 3:43AM
Thumbs Up

Really strange that it worked so good for you with the 103l board - skill might play role here.
I will give it some more tries before i put the rail boxes in. Maybe have some better wind sessions

simonp123
90 posts
29 May 2020 4:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BBN said..
Really strange that it worked so good for you with the 103l board - skill might play role here.
I will give it some more tries before i put the rail boxes in. Maybe have some better wind sessions

I had tried a SUP Foil board originally and that didn't go so well! I think the short length of the Wizard 103 helped and also because it's a board that I've done a lot of windfoiling on before.

Windbot
487 posts
30 May 2020 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Here's my plan. If I find the Tuttle box is too far back on my Wizard I may bolt a small routered plywood platform on the back of my board using some of the footstrap holes. It would have a cutaway to keep access to the two foil mast bolts. I could slap a tailpad with tailblock on it and would router the edges smooth with no sharp corners that could damage the wing. Since I don't use my rear straps I wouldn't miss them. Thoughts? I am trying to keep my quiver down to a single board, at least for now.

BBN
14 posts
31 May 2020 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

Genius - by doing that You also have the oportunity to pump the board quite hard. The production foil sups have that kind of balcony in the tailshape. I will have a lengthening like that too. Maybe with a vertical part just behind the tail to even reinforce the construction.

BBN
14 posts
31 May 2020 2:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

That's strange. When I used the Infinity 84 in the C position on my Wizard 103L I found it very front footed. I had to put my back foot just behind my front foot to get the board to balance.

I normally find the Infinity 84 back footed when wind foiling. The next day I wing foiled with the 84 wing in the B position. Ideally I would have wanted it halfway between B and C

What size stabi do you use simonp123?

Windbot
487 posts
31 May 2020 2:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BBN said..
Genius - by doing that You also have the oportunity to pump the board quite hard. The production foil sups have that kind of balcony in the tailshape. I will have a lengthening like that too. Maybe with a vertical part just behind the tail to even reinforce the construction.

Thanks! The idea came from the intro of a video on here that showed a close-up of a wingfoil/SUPfoil board's tail, and I thought "hey I could do that". My wing is still on order so I won't get to it for a while, but will post pics if I do. If you go for it keep us posted!

Windbot
487 posts
1 Jun 2020 1:57AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a fun vid of the 105 in action:

simonp123
90 posts
1 Jun 2020 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BBN said..

What size stabi do you use simonp123?

I was using the 42cm stabiliser with the windfoil fuselage. It almost feels too stable and difficult to pump. I'll have to try the surf fuselage at some point.

Foilnut
174 posts
20 Jun 2020 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Any one used the i99 with the wizard 125 for wing foiling or the shorter fuse?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Winding on a Wizard 125 & i76" started by AB_Carve