Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Winding on a Wizard 125 & i76

Created by AB_Carve > 9 months ago, 25 May 2020
Windbot
487 posts
10 Jul 2020 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday I used the 125L with a 5m wingfoil, and it worked fine, no need to mod the board. It was my first time and at 180lbs I found the board was a good size.

AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
11 Jul 2020 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..
Yesterday I used the 125L with a 5m wingfoil, and it worked fine, no need to mod the board. It was my first time and at 180lbs I found the board was a good size.

Nice work!!

I'm waiting for the right conditions to get out on my Wizard 125 and new 5m wing.
Did you remove the foot straps? ... and did you use a board leash?
I'd love to hear a bit more about the experience on the Wizard.

Windbot
487 posts
12 Jul 2020 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hi AB_Carve,

I took my rear straps off,but I never use them anyways. I used a 10' coil leash attached to a "tactical" waist belt I ordered off Amazon, it worked great. In the back I mounted a single strap sideways to mount the leash to, and it also serves as a tailblock like on a surfboard. Leaving the front straps on let me carry the board easily and my front foot went in front of the front straps. I plan to leave them on and do both wind and wingfoiling depending on wind strength. I even left my Chinook mastplate in and it didn't get in the way. I used a 84cm Infinity wing on a long fuse with 42cm rear wing in C position. Let me know how it goes for you.

AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
12 Jul 2020 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..
Hi AB_Carve,

I took my rear straps off,but I never use them anyways. I used a 10' coil leash attached to a "tactical" waist belt I ordered off Amazon, it worked great. In the back I mounted a single strap sideways to mount the leash to, and it also serves as a tailblock like on a surfboard. Leaving the front straps on let me carry the board easily and my front foot went in front of the front straps. I plan to leave them on and do both wind and wingfoiling depending on wind strength. I even left my Chinook mastplate in and it didn't get in the way. I used a 84cm Infinity wing on a long fuse with 42cm rear wing in C position. Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks ????
I'm liking the idea of the back strap for the harness and tail block. I'm going to try and leave the straps at the front on so changing from winging to windfoil isn't a pain in the arse.

Windbot
487 posts
12 Jul 2020 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

That was my reasoning too. Now that I know how easy it is to get setup to wingfoil and how well the board works for it, I suspect the wingfoil will take precedence over the sails in my quiver meant for the same wind range.

AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
12 Jul 2020 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..
That was my reasoning too. Now that I know how easy it is to get setup to wingfoil and how well the board works for it, I suspect the wingfoil will take precedence over the sails in my quiver meant for the same wind range.

I'm running the i76 wing and position B for wind foiling ... do you recon position C is a must for winging? Again ... simply can't be bothered to change for B to C and back again for different duties unless I have to.

Windbot
487 posts
12 Jul 2020 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

I would try it first with decent wind in the B position. I found with C I was standing farther forward when subplaning, then shuffling back a bit as I picked up speed to get on foil. I felt I never came close to stepping off the back. I bet if you do the same with the B position it will be fine.

BBN
14 posts
18 Aug 2020 4:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hello everybody,
I copied the setup of windbot - it worked perfect for me finally. No problem with stepping to far back.
No need of putting railboxes into the wizzard. It was using the 42 cm stabi that made the difference I guess. The backstrap as leash connector and backfootblock is just great.
I get up on foil with the 6,5 Slingwing when the formula guys start to plan on 8m sails. It is real lightwind machine.

Windbot
487 posts
18 Aug 2020 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BBN said..
Hello everybody,
I copied the setup of windbot - it worked perfect for me finally. No problem with stepping to far back.
No need of putting railboxes into the wizzard. It was using the 42 cm stabi that made the difference I guess. The backstrap as leash connector and backfootblock is just great.
I get up on foil with the 6,5 Slingwing when the formula guys start to plan on 8m sails. It is real lightwind machine.

That is fantastic, I am excited to hear it's not just me doing this. I look at the new Shred Sled and think it looks cool, but I prefer the length of the Wizard. I am grateful to have a board that has a the added bonus fluke of working for wingfoiling. I can't wait to get out on the wing again and will post up when I have more experience on it.

sunsetsailboards
470 posts
18 Aug 2020 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AB_Carve said..

Windbot said..

I'm running the i76 wing and position B for wind foiling ... do you recon position C is a must for winging? Again ... simply can't be bothered to change for B to C and back again for different duties unless I have to.

i've actually been using this setup (my wind foiling wing set i76/B/long fuse/small rear wing) for winging on a Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4". The lift is very far forward w/ this setup. I have it all the way back in the box using the inside rear holes, and my front foot is almost at the end of the foot pad. It feels fantastic though and is really fun. A real front foot-oriented ride that is pretty fast, loose, and turny with better than expected glide. When riding with the FWING setup (i99/B/short fuse/big rear wing) I have it shoved all the way to the front of the tracks and am standing right at the front footstrap attachments on my Sky Wing.

AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
5 Oct 2020 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got to try out the Wizard 125 and i76 with a duotone 5m wing over the last few days.

Great news is that it works ... and I'm stoked!! I left the front wing in position B.

I figured out you need to stand further back on the board to get it foiling but once up it works great - today 15knts was perfect. Used the front straps which were a bit out of position but helped calm things down.

Only a couple of sessions in so once I was tired out I swapped for a 4.5m sail and cranked upwind and rode the swells for the next hour and a half. Amazing!!

Couldn't be happier with my Slingshot gear

Windbot
487 posts
14 Oct 2020 6:40AM
Thumbs Up

Last weekend I finally had the chance for another session on the Wizard 125L as a wingfoil board. The biggest issue I find is that the front footstraps are annoying when I'm winging. I'm hesitant to always be taking them on and off as I go back and forth between windfoiling and winging as this will eventally strip out the self-tapping screw holes, and I know that if I take them off I will probably miss them for windfoiling as my windfoiling is typically done in light wind with big sails. I'm thinking of making some really low profile non-adjustable footstraps out of some old cordura webbing that will lay flush with the board's deck when winging, so it won't matter when I step on them. At the same time they will still allow me to get my feet in when windfoiling. Perhaps most importantly though, they'll allow me to carry this beast of a setup to the water just like my current straps do. I can't imagine carrying it with nothing there and I'm not sure how people are doing it with similar sized boards without footstraps or carrying handles.

AB_Carve
WA, 55 posts
14 Oct 2020 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..
Last weekend I finally had the chance for another session on the Wizard 125L as a wingfoil board. The biggest issue I find is that the front footstraps are annoying when I'm winging. I'm hesitant to always be taking them on and off as I go back and forth between windfoiling and winging as this will eventally strip out the self-tapping screw holes, and I know that if I take them off I will probably miss them for windfoiling as my windfoiling is typically done in light wind with big sails. I'm thinking of making some really low profile non-adjustable footstraps out of some old cordura webbing that will lay flush with the board's deck when winging, so it won't matter when I step on them. At the same time they will still allow me to get my feet in when windfoiling. Perhaps most importantly though, they'll allow me to carry this beast of a setup to the water just like my current straps do. I can't imagine carrying it with nothing there and I'm not sure how people are doing it with similar sized boards without footstraps or carrying handles.

Exactly my experience. I took off the foot straps and it's works so much better with the wing rather than continually having to step over and around them.

I managed to man handle it into the water but with no straps to help getting it out ... wind picked up while I struggled the wing impaled itself on the foil ... doh!! I'll remove the wing, bury it in sand and the board afterwards in future. The board is too big without straps to get out with the wing.

I then tried wind foiling without the straps on a 4.5 in 20-25 knots. It works but I really missed pushing against the front straps when carving, so I put them back on for the rest of the session.

You can definitely wing on the board and it's a good starter board. I'll keep going for the time being but thinking about the Wizard 114 with its more inboard straps that should do both better.

Windbot
487 posts
15 Oct 2020 4:27AM
Thumbs Up

Here's my board with one new footstrap in place, note the size difference compared to the Da Kine strap it replaces. While these straps will make getting in a bit more of a pain when windfoiling, they will barely be noticeable when I step on them when wingfoiling, especially with boots on. I used the straps from an expired child's car seat that I kept on hand for something just like this. The straps seem relatively comfortable, they remind me of the old thin rubber Grinch straps from the late 80s/early 90s These straps will help me avoid removing straps each time I go from windfoiling to wingfoiling, and will still serve as grab handles for carrying the board when wingfoiling.

AlexF
494 posts
15 Oct 2020 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Don't you fear stumbling over the straps when winging?
Where do you place your front foot when winging in relation to the front strap?

Windbot
487 posts
15 Oct 2020 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

I wouldn't say I fear it, but it was annoying having a full-sized footstraps getting in the way. I found that I could get away with pushing my front foot heel up against the strap where my toes would be when windfoiling. It was always awkward. With these straps I will be able to step on them and they will barely be noticeable. Ideally there would be no straps but this wouldn't be practical for my style of windfoiling, so this is the next best thing.

AlexF
494 posts
16 Oct 2020 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..

AlexF said..

I wouldn't say I fear it, but it was annoying having a full-sized footstraps getting in the way. I found that I could get away with pushing my front foot heel up against the strap where my toes would be when windfoiling. It was always awkward. With these straps I will be able to step on them and they will barely be noticeable. Ideally there would be no straps but this wouldn't be practical for my style of windfoiling, so this is the next best thing.

So for winging you stand a little bit more forward and inward?

Windbot
487 posts
19 Oct 2020 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

Windbot said..

AlexF said..

So for winging you stand a little bit more forward and inward?

Yes absolutely. I am still on the EVA pretty much all the time. Yesterday I tried out my new webbing footstraps and they were just as I hoped, not even noticeable for wingfoiling, problem solved. Hopefully I will still be able to get my feet in them for windfoiling. They also made for useful handles given my huge walk of shame when the wind died ten minutes after I went out.

CoreAS
902 posts
19 Oct 2020 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't wing the W125 but the W130 wings very well as you have twin tracks and you can more the foil all the way forward.

The foot straps are too far back and out towards the rail, they need to be closer to the center line and further forward to get the best performance. Good board carrying handles though

Windbot
487 posts
20 Oct 2020 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

This is great CoreAS, thanks as always. My feet on the v1 Wizard feel like they are are in pretty much the exact same spot as yours in the vid, with my Infinity 84 in the C position, even being limited by the Tuttle box. I feel like it's such a nice bonus being able to wingfoil these boards. Now I just need to get a wing bigger than a 5 to get more time on the water winging.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Winding on a Wizard 125 & i76" started by AB_Carve