135 Freeride Build

Created by Dar > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2017
col5555
WA, 378 posts
14 Aug 2017 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dar said..
Thanks gents. Very happy so far.... just the weight is a bit much at 9.5kg.... oh well, it is 145L (not 135 as stated) and its my first build and I have learnt loads for the next round so.....

Great build ! So close to getting it on the water.
Where do you think the extra weight come from as it looks like a standard type of construction and what has been the cost in materials ?

Dar
203 posts
14 Aug 2017 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

col5555 said..

Great build ! So close to getting it on the water.
Where do you think the extra weight come from as it looks like a standard type of construction and what has been the cost in materials ?

Hi Col

All the little bits add up believe me.Rookie errors mostly. The weight really came on when I used auto bodyfiller. I had to use quite a bit to get her smooth and nice because I got that last layup all wrong as I was in a hurry. The stress of getting everything in the bag makes for errors and I did have occasions where I could not pull vacuum due to leaks so it was a bit of a nightmare at times. I went and bought a vacuum pump which has made all the difference so getting the vacuum is now not a problem even if there are leaks. A fridge pump is just not up to the job.

I'd say the board itself has cost me about 500-600 AUD - remember I am in South Africa - but I really have not costed it accurately. The layup is full CF though so its not too bad. If I had to consider all the tools etc it was a VERY expensive build. But I have it all now so I am itching to get the next one done. Next will be a directional kiteboard and then a freestyle/wavey board.

Dar
203 posts
21 Aug 2017 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

All done..... Now I just need wind!

Just one problem.... I am finding the footstrap screws a VERY tight fit. Some I can't even get more than 2 turns. I think they are chinook fittings so I thought it would be a perfect easy fit? Do I need to drill them a bit wider? It will be a disaster if I screw this bit up!

R1DER
WA, 1461 posts
23 Aug 2017 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Chinook fittings use a 25mm 10 gauge screw. Production board screws are thicker I think 8 gauge and will split the plug if screwed in.

Dar
203 posts
23 Aug 2017 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
R1DER said..
Chinook fittings use a 25mm 10 gauge screw. Production board screws are thicker I think 8 gauge and will split the plug if screwed in.

Probably will fit Dakine straps so any idea what size I must drill the holes. Sorry, I am not very technically inclined...

R1DER
WA, 1461 posts
24 Aug 2017 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dar said..

R1DER said..

Probably will fit Dakine straps so any idea what size I must drill the holes. Sorry, I am not very technically inclined...

I think you are you just made a whole sailboard from scratch.
What diameter/ gauge/ thickness screws are you using? Once you know this you can google the hole size.

Select to expand quote
R1DER said..

Geez dont listen to me I got that the wrong way around chinook is 8 gauge 25mm long

Dar
203 posts
25 Aug 2017 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Haha thanks Rider... appreciate it.

rken
NSW, 2 posts
28 Aug 2017 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

I'm adding Chinook inserts to a board and have them in front of me. A 3.5mm drill bit shaft goes into their hole with a tiny bit of play (the depth of the hole is about 20mm; but of course the insert won't be flush with the deck). A 4.0mm drill bit shaft no way goes in (too big). So the hole is almost certainly a 9/64" diameter hole, Chinook being American and all. The Chinook screws are self-tapping stainless steel #10.

On a new Tabou "Cobra" board the bootstrap holes are 4.5mm snug; and these are designed to take the standard Cobra screws www.surfsailaustralia.com.au/product/goya-footstrap-stainless-self-tapper-28mm#surf-sail-clothing-hardware. They are more substantial than the Chinook screws (and not self-tapping; which is not needed).

I'll definitely will be enlarging the Chinook insert holes to 4.5mm and using Cobra screws.

Dar
203 posts
28 Aug 2017 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Rken.... I'll drill 4.5mm and get hold of cobra screws.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"135 Freeride Build" started by Dar