QLD, 209 posts
24 Mar 2014 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

May be.

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
24 Mar 2014 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Have just updated the club website after a few more entrants today and we now have 40 pre registered for the event which is just awesome! Remember online registration is closing at midnight tonight so still time to register!

Did an interview this morning with local Sunshine Coast Channel 7 about the event with a focus on the One Design Queensland State Titles. With any luck we should be on tomorrow nights news! Very light wind but got some footage of Peter D, Peter N and myself out on the Wallys.

kato
VIC, 3373 posts
24 Mar 2014 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pedro e said..

Just got in to Port Macquarrie, should arrive at Burrum Wed am.

Have I made a mistake not packing my 4m Koncept???

Still got my 4.4 in Pete but you'll just have to suffer until Thursday

Have a muffin and a lay down instead

andysails
SA, 79 posts
24 Mar 2014 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Holy moly, Livio (the local weather Guru) just forecast 25-30 knots for the opening day of the Windfest!!!
Easterly direction predicted should be nice on the northern run bank - see you all there wooohooo!

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
24 Mar 2014 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

I just managed to last minute registration for Windfest.
Do we need to carry any personal floating devices ? Is it compulsory?
If so I need hurry to nearest shop to get one tomorrow...

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
24 Mar 2014 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Macroscien great that your coming along! Yes it is compulsory to wear a buoyancy vest (PFD), could be one or two spares ones around but best to bring your own if you can.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
24 Mar 2014 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

thanks kellie.

yes buoyancy vests are required. if you are buying new look for the ones aimed at windsurfing specifically.

macro drop into surf fx, if they are out then sunshine coast sailboards on the way up to burrum will probably have them and if they are out then the caloundra wind and surf van will be at the event also. I've chatted with the guys at all three shops and they will all be at and or entering the event again this year as well.

the event signon forms will be online late tonight. they will be available for download. everybody entering needs to fill out an event signon form as it contains the notice of race etc. I will have plenty at the event but if people can fill them out prior and bring along it will make the event signon process faster.

people who have used the online payment system will still need to complete a signon form.

because of the forecast I will begin event signon at 8am instead of 8.30am as scheduled on Thursday morning.
please check out the event program.
http://www.windfest.info/Burrum%20Windfest%202014%20Event.html

please everyone make sure you are at briefing. it is critical. Thursday night is also the opening night drinks at the burrum hotel.

Wednesday is also looking killer on the forecast and I know there will be lots of people out on the water. for those new to burrum head for Torbanlea st. I'd be aiming to be on the water around 10am and heading for the northern run. just follow the locals and please play it safe and keep an eye out for everyone else.

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
24 Mar 2014 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Best wishes for the event Justin... hoping the winds hold for you and all those attending.
cheers and wish i was there....one day....one day
G

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
24 Mar 2014 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

cheers climber.

we'll get you there one year.......

kato
VIC, 3373 posts
25 Mar 2014 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said..

thanks kellie.

yes buoyancy vests are required. if you are buying new look for the ones aimed at windsurfing specifically.

macro drop into surf fx, if they are out then sunshine coast sailboards on the way up to burrum will probably have them and if they are out then the caloundra wind and surf van will be at the event also. I've chatted with the guys at all three shops and they will all be at and or entering the event again this year as well.

the event signon forms will be online late tonight. they will be available for download. everybody entering needs to fill out an event signon form as it contains the notice of race etc. I will have plenty at the event but if people can fill them out prior and bring along it will make the event signon process faster.

people who have used the online payment system will still need to complete a signon form.

because of the forecast I will begin event signon at 8am instead of 8.30am as scheduled on Thursday morning.
please check out the event program.
http://www.windfest.info/Burrum%20Windfest%202014%20Event.html

please everyone make sure you are at briefing. it is critical. Thursday night is also the opening night drinks at the burrum hotel.

Wednesday is also looking killer on the forecast and I know there will be lots of people out on the water. for those new to burrum head for Torbanlea st. I'd be aiming to be on the water around 10am and heading for the northern run. just follow the locals and please play it safe and keep an eye out for everyone else.

The life jackets are a bit of a surprise.... Not sure about competing now Would have been nice to know a little earlier as I don't ever speed sail with one, its just far too dangerous, you can't swim after gear and you can still drown. I'm assuming its insurance liability.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
25 Mar 2014 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

hi kato,

yeah it is about the liability insurance plus it also forms part of the MSQ approvals.
I can sort you out with my KA vest but yeah it's mandatory.

it's something I guess we are all very used to in qld. most windsurfing events require them up here so pretty much all of the guys have them to enter comps and use them recreationally.

my apologies though for not making it more clear much earlier in the lead up. i'll grab you at the event and sort something out.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
25 Mar 2014 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

is pedro in the same boat?

tilldark
QLD, 275 posts
25 Mar 2014 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

thanks kellie.

Hey Justin

Do the Neil Pryde impact vests we wear count as PFDs?

pedro e
VIC, 257 posts
25 Mar 2014 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Justin, me and Lari have life jackets. I never sail without one as I'm a sinker otherwise! Not enough body fat... If I get under a sail and try to push/lift it clear of the water without a PFD the sail just stays on the water and I go under...
Beautiful sunrise here in Port Macquarie and just about to hit the road again. See you all on the morrow!

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
25 Mar 2014 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

The windsurfing specific impact vests are fine as they also contain buoyancy

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
25 Mar 2014 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

bom marine forecast

Wednesday 26 March

Strong Wind Warning for Wednesday for Hervey Bay
Winds - Easterly 20 to 30 knots.
Seas - 1.5 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Swell - North to northeasterly around 1 metre.

Thursday 27 March

Winds - Easterly 25 to 30 knots turning northeasterly during the afternoon.
Seas - 2.5 to 3 metres.
Swell - North to northeasterly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres in the northern bay.
Weather - Isolated thunderstorms.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
25 Mar 2014 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pedro e said..

Thanks Justin, me and Lari have life jackets. I never sail without one as I'm a sinker otherwise! Not enough body fat... If I get under a sail and try to push/lift it clear of the water without a PFD the sail just stays on the water and I go under...
Beautiful sunrise here in Port Macquarie and just about to hit the road again. See you all on the morrow!

cheers pedro.

John340
QLD, 3093 posts
25 Mar 2014 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone have a spare bed and want to share the costs of accom in Burrum Heads?

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
25 Mar 2014 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Good luck with the event.. Once your done can you send some of that wind down here please? Serious withdrawal symptoms at the moment..

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
25 Mar 2014 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

sbc - looking like some southerlies next week for the east coast. fingers crossed again.

john, I have some spare beds for half of the event so it will be taken fri,sat,sun. i'm sure you will find something if that doesn't suit.

also looks like the easterly is just starting to get going in the graphs. it will be good to see how it unfolds.

interestingly I was talking with some of the boat hire people today and a few of the companies at hervey bay have been finding it a little tough since xmas because it has been so windy. one guy said he's going to get back into windsurfing again because since he's moved back to hervey bay it just keeps blowing. he's coming along to the comp to watch.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
25 Mar 2014 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Quick accommodation quiz.
I am going anyway tomorrow in hope to find something close to the beach on the way.
Can somebody recommend any motel close and p.p.p.n? ( price per person per night)

BikieTim
QLD, 7 posts
25 Mar 2014 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Justin,

Where do I find the online signon forms. I'll be arriving Wed arvo and rushing a little to get on the water.

BikieTim
QLD, 7 posts
25 Mar 2014 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

I meant Thurs arvo.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
26 Mar 2014 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers tim. Will get it online today. I have had a hickup at my end. I have all the hardcopies but not the digital file so will scan a hard copy today and upload.

BikieTim
QLD, 7 posts
26 Mar 2014 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Great. Thanks

kato
VIC, 3373 posts
26 Mar 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Made it,27hrs of driving and 5 hrs sleep .

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
27 Mar 2014 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome work kato. That's a massive effort.
i'm standing at the water now and it is pumping!

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
27 Mar 2014 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

day 1.

busy day today getting everything organised and into action. we have a record number of competitors this year. over 45 have entered the event. we started the day with signon and briefing. pretty excited about the massive forecast. the main run is looking impressive this year with lots of sand build up.

by lunch the wind had changed to the forecast direction and started to fill in but it just didn't have any kick to it. we waited till 1pm to see what would happen and then decided to kick off burrum 2014 in less than forecast winds so everyone could stretch their legs and get out on the water.

turned out to be a really fun afternoon of light wind big gear sailing. ch7 did their Thursday night sports story from on the barge and interviewed some of the gang.

y the end of the day everyone was getting tired after the light wind workout so headed in. we did get some late wind build up but everyone ewas off the water by then and it's now nice and windy tonight.

fingers crossed for tomorrow. everyone is in great spirits and joined up at the pub for opening night drinks.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
31 Mar 2014 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Great to catch up and meet some new faces. Just a shame the wind didn't play ball so couldn't stay longer......probably a relief for some.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Burrum Windfest 2014" started by Gestalt