Burrum Windfest 2014

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 15 Aug 2013
Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
15 Aug 2013 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

it's on again!!!
Burrum Windfest 2014.

It's early days but the planning for Burrum Windfest 2014 is now well underway so it's time to give everyone the heads up that the event is on again.

Building on previous year's events the Windwanderers club has once again made subtle improvements to the format of the event for 2014.

this year will see the same week long format as trialled in 2013 with laid back mornings, freesail sessions and the comfortable burrum lifestyle, followed up by afternoons of competitive gps speed sailing along any one of the 3 main speed runs providing up to 4km of dead flat speed sailing conditions.

As with previous years Burrum 2014 will include.

GPS speed sailing competition.
free sailing time
windsurfing lessons
fun races
boat and barge support on the water including amenities facilities and bbq's
social sup race mornings
social dinners at the Burrum Hotel with transport provided.
End of Event BBQ and Awards presentation night at the Burrum Sands with prizes, lucky draws and trophies.

New to 2014 - Longboard Course Racing

this year will see the inclusion of Longboard Course Racing. Course racing will be run during morning tides prior to afternoon speed sailing and is open to all entrants. With the addition of Course racing we have also added a Longboard class to the speed sailing classes. Try your longboard on the speed course after winning on the race course or jump on your smaller gear and blast past the others.

Additionally, A slight change to the timing of the event is being trialled for 2014. This year, the event is timed to include a weekend for those looking join in the fun and not necessarily compete.

Burrum is not only good for windsurfing. it's a half hour from hervey bay with connections to fraser island and hosts some of the best fishing in the fraser coast area.

I Look forward to seeing everyone at Burrum again this year.

Regards
Justin.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
15 Aug 2013 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

2013 event
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/windfest-2013/?page=1
(lot's of photos and vids in this link)

2012 event
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Burrum-Windfest-2012-Event-Wrap/

burrum on a good day

F2
QLD, 209 posts
15 Aug 2013 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Justin,bring it on the speed runs have never been better.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
15 Aug 2013 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

cheers Geoff!

can't wait to get back up there.

Bender
WA, 2221 posts
15 Aug 2013 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

I hope Mr 25 is getting a kickback for staring on the event poster

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
15 Aug 2013 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

no 25's were harmed in the making of this movie....

Scud
QLD, 37 posts
15 Aug 2013 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

This a great event people! Bring your small boat for fishing inshore/offshore reefs before the wind kicks-in in the arvo.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
15 Aug 2013 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bender said..

I hope Mr 25 is getting a kickback for staring on the event poster

Dan's got the flags

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
15 Aug 2013 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

^^

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
15 Aug 2013 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Burrum 2014 GPS Classes

so this year we are introducing a new division as well as bringing back an old division not seen for a few years and the introduction of a new class. the classes and divisions are as follows.

Open Class (for all competitors)

1. 5x10 sec
2. NM
3. 2 sec peak
4. 1hr (returning)
5. Yellow Jersey (new addition)

Legends Class (over 60)

1. 5x10 sec
2. NM

Womens Class

1. 5x10 sec
2. NM

Youth Class (under 18)

1. 5x10 sec
2. NM (new addition)

Longboard Class (new addition)

1. 5x10
2. NM

The big additions are the return of the 1hr division, the new raceboard class and a completely new division, "The Yellow Jersey"

The Yellow Jersey is aimed at rewarding those that are consistently fast across multiple divisions within the Open Class and rewards participation for those that compete on every day of competition. From past experience each day sees a change to the leader board across each class as competitors focus on different divisions and as conditions change.

preliminary how does it work.

at the end of each day all competitors add up their results achieved in each division of the open class. the 4 speeds achieved will result in a total figure. ie. if a competitor achieved 40 knots in each of the 4 open class divisions their score for that day would be 160 points. continuing throughout the comp, each days results are again calculated and added to the previous days results, providing an aggregate score by the end of the event. 1 day is allowed to be dropped.

finally, at the end of each day the sailor with the highest aggregate score will be presented with a "yellow Jersey" or wetshirt to wear during the following days competition.

because we have a healthy amount of sailors entering the legends division we are entertaining the idea of a green jersey for Legends.

F2
QLD, 209 posts
16 Aug 2013 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Just ordered the new speed for the comp, the green jersey for the legends division sounds great.
Hope to be sailing Burrum on Saturday and Sunday we are starting to get some good N/E winds
already. do not forget the first WindWanderers social event on the 7 and 8 of September at Burrum
it should be good

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
16 Aug 2013 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

finally, at the end of each day the sailor with the highest aggregate score will be presented with a "yellow Jersey" or wetshirt to wear during the following days competition.

because we have a healthy amount of sailors entering the legends division we are entertaining the idea of a green jersey for Legends.

I reckon a yellow and red polka dot rashie for the person who sails up the inside on the return tack would be great

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
16 Aug 2013 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I hear you sausage!

this year penalties will apply.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
17 Aug 2013 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Board Caddy's at Burrum 2014

Continuing on from the addition of Course Racing and New Divisions for 2014, we have a number of new announcements for this year's event that we are putting the finishing touches to.

the first item I can confirm for 2014 is :-

We are introducing Board Caddy's to the Windfest. No more need to do the 100m low tide walk along the sand back to Speed HQ when your body is tired and salty from a long day of pushing the limits or cruising the open waters.

Trolley's and fresh legs will be provided!

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
17 Aug 2013 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

Board Caddy's at Burrum 2014

Continuing on from the addition of Course Racing and New Divisions for 2014, we have a number of new announcements for this year's event that we are putting the finishing touches to.

the first item I can confirm for 2014 is :-

We are introducing Board Caddy's to the Windfest. No more need to do the 100m low tide walk along the sand back to Speed HQ when your body is tired and salty from a long day of pushing the limits or cruising the open waters.

Trolley's and fresh legs will be provided!

And Beer

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
17 Aug 2013 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

lots of fun in 2013, hope to be there for 2014

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
18 Aug 2013 1:16AM
Thumbs Up

Yes there is budget for beer and bbq's

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
18 Aug 2013 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

This year should be even bigger haircut. I'm really excited about the format.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
20 Aug 2013 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

I've put together some information to help those looking at how to get to Burrum Heads.

Where To Stay.

Units and Houses

Burrum Sands Holiday Units (Speed HQ and the epicentre of the event) - www.burrumsands.com.au/
Elders Realty Burrum Heads (Houses and Rentals) - http://www.eldersrealestate.com.au/office/burrumheads/

Caravan Parks

Burrum Heads Beach Front Tourist Park - www.beachfronttouristparks.com.au/index.php?page=burrum-heads-beachfront-caravan-park
Burrum Heads Hillcrest Holiday Park - www.burrumheadshillcrestholidaypark.com/

Hotels at Hervey Bay
(Hervey Bay 30 minuts away)

Akama resort
www.akamaresort.com.au/
Peppers Pier Resort
www.peppers.com.au/pier-resort/

Getting there

Car

Step 1. 3.5-4.0 hours drive north of Brisbane, 30 minutes north of Hervey Bay, 40 minutes south of Bundaberg.

Train

Step 1. Queensland Rail operates regular services from Brisbane, Rockhampton and Cairns into Maryborough West. Transfers to Hervey Bay can be included via the Trainlink bus service, which connects with every train. The Tilt Train will also stop at the Howard station for pre-booked passengers.

Step 2. From the airport or Stocklands, Wide Bay Transit run a local bus service to Burrum Heads or Car Hire/Taxi are available. from howard it's a taxi ride.

Plane

Step 1. Qantas operate direct daily flights from Brisbane to Hervey Bay while Virgin Airlines have daily flights from Sydney . With convenient connections from most Australian capital cities. There are several daily flights from Brisbane to Hervey Bay.

Step 2. from the airport, Wide Bay Transit run a local bus service to Burrum Heads or Car Hire/Taxi Available.

Coach

Step 1. Greyhound Pioneer and Premier Motor Services coaches operate several services each day through Maryborough, Hervey Bay and Childers. Suncoast Pacific operates daily services from Brisbane via the Sunshine Coast.

Step 2. from the airport or Stocklands, Wide Bay Transit run a local bus service to Burrum Heads or Car Hire/Taxi Available.

Useful Links

Hervey Bay Airport
www.frasercoastairport.com.au/

Widebay Transit Service (craignish)
www.widebaytransit.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/craignish.pdf

Queensland Rail
www.queenslandrailtravel.com.au/Pages/Home.aspx

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
21 Aug 2013 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Some more information regards the event and the local area.

Burrum Heads is a small relaxed fishing town only 3.5 hours drive north of Brisbane and nestled half way between Bundaberg and Hervey Bay on the picturesque Fraser Coast. Located directly on the banks of the Burrum river, Burrum has a deep connection to the water and boasts excellent windsurfing, stand up paddle boarding, boating, fishing and easy access to wild life filled national parks. For those looking for more action a short drive south finds Hervey Bay with tourist attractions, shopping, restaurants, an airport and the launching point to world heritage listed Fraser Island and Great Keppel Island. With the Burrum Lifestyle and combined attractions only 30 minutes away, Burrum has become a popular windsurfing holiday destination and home to the annual Burrum Windfest and some of the best windsurfing in QLD.

Over previous years, the Burrum Windfest has built a reputation around being an event where competitors and families arrive early, stay late and enjoy the holiday. The event hosts a genuine mix of relaxing, social sailing and hard fought competition with everyone joining in the parties after the sun has retreated. The Event program consists of Sailboard Course Racing, GPS Speed Sailing, social cruises, try windsurfing and stand up paddle board days and hosts many social events both on and off the water. On the water, the Windfest sees competitors from around Australia and Qld fight it out for the titles and vie for a slice of the prize pool and trophies on offer. Burrum Heads also has listed amongst it's credentials, 2 previous Australian GPS Nautical Mile records and continues to be the location of choice for Windsurfers arriving for the seasonal cyclone storm chases.

The area is perfect for flat water blasting, bump and jump, stand up paddle boarding and has small waves to play in at Burrum Point. Burrum offers three main speed runs. the main run has an astonishing 4km of dead flat water along a sand bank which extends out to the edge of the coral sea beyond the mouth of the Burrum River. The bank itself is an arc shape and the distance it runs from the coast ensures any winds that blow have plenty of uninterrupted fetch. The second run allows for alternative wind directions and provides 2.5km of dead flat water across to Burrum Point. During the January to April period, including the Windfest, prevailing winds blow from the south to south east and provide on average at least 3-4 days per week of 15knot and above windsurfing conditions.

Those rare days where the wind may not be up to full strength are also catered for. We hold social stand up paddle board races, longboard fun races and try Windsurfing or Stand up Paddle board sessions for families and friends. We also provide barge cruises with bbq's and fishing or just call a free day early for those wanting to visit Hervey Bay attractions with family or explore the local coastline and fish. The event also includes trailers packed with gear from the windsurfing industry to demo and helps get everyone out on the water regardless of their personal quiver.

The History of the Burrum Windfest continues to build. The event was started by the Windwanderers Inc Windsurfing Club in 2007 at Caloundra and then moved the following year to Burrum Heads for 2008. 2014 will be the 8th year the event has been running and the 7th year held at Burrum Heads. Over the previous 6 years of the event being held at Burrum Heads, there has only been one event where no sailing was possible during the week. Of those 6 previous years at Burrum, 5 years had sailable conditions during the duration of the week with winds varying from 15-30 knots, while 2 of those years had consistent winds over 25 knots.

The Windwanderers Inc Club, had its inaugural meet in April 2006 in Brisbane and moved to being a Fraser/Sunshine Coast based club 2 years ago. Making this year the 9th year the club has been supporting windsurfing in Qld and the following 2014/15 season our 10th birthday.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
21 Aug 2013 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

"Preliminary" Event Program for 2014.

27th mar (thu)

8.30am - Event Sign On
10.00am - Briefing/Welcome
11.00am - Speed Course Open
6.00pm - Opening Night Drinks Burrum Hotel

28th mar (fri)

7.30am Morning Social Sup Races
10.45am - Speed Course Skippers Briefing
11.45am - Speed Course Open
4.00pm - end of day BBQ at Burrum Sands

29th mar (sat)

7.00am - Barge Cruise, SupSail/Longboard Wave Session at Burrum Point
8.00am - Try Stand Up Paddle Boarding Morning
8.30am - Try WIndsurfing Morning
11.15am - Speed Course Skippers Briefing
12.15pm - Speed Course Open
6pm - Mid Event Party/Movie Night Burrum Hotel

30th mar (sun)

7.30am - Gear Swap
7.30am - Course Race Skippers Briefing
8.00am - Course Racing
8.00am - Try Stand Up Paddle Boarding Morning
12.00noon - Speed Course Skippers Briefing
1.00pm - Speed Course Open
5.00pm - end of day bbq at Burrum Sands

31st mar (mon)

8.00am - Course Racing Skippers Briefing
8.30am - Course Racing
12.30pm - Speed Course Skipper Briefing
1.30pm - Speed Course Open
4.45pm - BBQ on the Bank

01st apr (tue)

8.00am - Course Racing Skippers Briefing
8.30am - Course Racing
1.00pm - Speed Course Skippers Briefing
2.00pm - Speed Course Open
4.45pm - BBQ on the Bank

02nd apr (wed)

8.30am - Social Sup Races
9.00am - Course Racing Skippers Briefing
9.30am - Course Racing
1.30pm - Speed Course Skippers Briefing
2.30pm - Speed Course Open
6.00pm - End of event party Burrum Sands.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
21 Aug 2013 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Things To Do

Burrum Heads
Other than the legendary Windsurfing and Sup'ing. Burrum Heads has plenty of beach for everyone to explore and tracks to ride bikes along the waterfront. it also offers some of the best fishing and crabbing in the region, either straight off the shore or from a boat.
It is also only a 40 minute drive over to the beaches at Woodgate or into the national parks of the Burrum Coast.
parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/burrum-coast/about.html

Boat Hire/ Fishing
MV Burrum River Quest - www.burrumriverquest.com.au/cruising
Burrum Heads Marine & Cycle Hire

There is a very small local skate park
Flame Lily Adventure park - www.flamelilyadventures.com.au/

Hervey Bay
Half an hour drive south Hervey Bay has all of the tourist attractions and plenty of cafe's, restaurants and bars. You can also find fishing charters and anything you'd expect from a small beachside city. Hervey bay is also the gateway to Fraser island and the sandy straights.

Go Kart and Waterslide - www.herveybaygokarttrack.com.au/
Wet Side Water Park - www.widebaywater.qld.gov.au/quicklinks/wetsidewatereducationpark
MI Helicopter joy flights - www.luxuryaustralia.com.au/354/
Sky Dive Hervey Bay - www.skydiveherveybay.com.au/
Horse Riding - susanriver.com/Things_to_Do.html
Wake Park - susanriver.com/Things_to_Do.html
Reef World Aquarium - www.discoverherveybay.com/ReefworldAquarium/
Golf - 4 golf courses to choose from in the Hervey Bay Area.
Electric Bike Tours - www.friendlyhostel.com.au/pages/electric-bike-hire-hervey-bay.asp

Salt Water fly Fishing
Nat Bromhead - www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/details.htm
Hervey Bay Fly and Sport Fishing - www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au/
Pete Fry - herveybayfishingtours.com.au/

Reef Fishing
Harvey Bay Daytripper - www.mvdaytripper.com/
A lot more here - smarterfishingcharters.com.au/charters/region/4655?locale=Hervey+Bay

Fraser Island
Fraser Island is Directly accessible from Hervey Bay. It is a stunning place to visit. has some of the best 4wd tracks in the world and is World Heritage Listed. - www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/about.html
Fraser Island Tours - www.fraserexplorertours.com.au/
Fraser Experience Hummer Tours - www.fraserexperience.com/guide-tours/1-day-hummer-tour
Four wheel Drive and Trail Bike Hire - lots of options from Hervey Bay
Bare Boat Charters - lots of options from Hervey Bay to explore Fraser by boat.

Lady Elliot island
Lady Elliot island on the barrier reef is a 40 minute flight from Hervey Bay airport. lots to do including snorkelling, diving and reef walking. - www.ladyelliot.com.au/Default.asp

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
21 Aug 2013 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Last post and i'll let this thread ease for a while.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that the windwanderers have organised a social meet at Burrum in early September. check out the windwanderers website calendar for more details.

Burrum is not just about flat out low tide speed sailing. it is a KILLER spot to sail at high tide. Probably my favourite sailing up there is at high tide because of the conditions.
the sailing is in crystal clear green/blue water and suits bump and jump or slalom. the winds are from the north and northeast for the next few months as the spring weather patterns and seabreezes kick in.

if you want to check out burrum for the first time or even try it out in spring then don't miss out.

F2
QLD, 209 posts
21 Aug 2013 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

I agree Justin, Burrum in N/E winds in spring is one of the best places you can get for sailing just great come and try it ,I have been sailing it now for over 10 years and you can not get better, bump and jump, speed, small waves, long runs down wind to Hervey Bay over 30 Kms come and give it ago.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
21 Aug 2013 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in this year. First time. I'm gonna pop my Windfest cherry!

Magnus8
QLD, 364 posts
21 Aug 2013 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ikw777 said..

Don't worry, I'll be there to hold your hand

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
21 Aug 2013 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Magnus8 said..

ikw777 said..

Don't worry, I'll be there to hold your hand

I'll paint a portrait

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
22 Aug 2013 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

You're going to love it Ian.

we've got the MV Burrum River Quest barge booked again this year, it adds so much to the event. it gets spectators and gear out to the far end of the course so we have a mobile command centre. has toilets, coffee/tea, eski and bbq's onboard. we head out for bbq's and parties on the deck on the less hectic days.

the barge

back onshore the Burrum Sands Holiday Units allow us to set up a base station and host the event from their backyard over looking the water. it's a gorgeous spot.

this is it. (Speed HQ) at Burrum Sands. off to the right are the bbq's and covered area.

Dylan has the computer side completely sorted. you sail, come in hand him your gps and that's it. he calcs the lot in around 5 minutes.

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
23 Aug 2013 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

I'm currently compiling images for all of the competitors from 2013. once complete will make available to everyone that took part.

in the mean time. i'm stumbling across some golden memories. plus compiling great photos of the course at low tide.

from 2009

from 2013 (the year of the flood)

Gestalt
QLD, 14289 posts
27 Aug 2013 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

another chestnut from the Windfest Archives

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
27 Aug 2013 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Great year 2009 brings back fond memories.
This year was a cracker too for wind with speeds just under the 40 mark.
Bring on 2014

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Burrum Windfest 2014" started by Gestalt