Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Aussies to Luderitz 2013

Created by sailquik > 9 months ago, 22 Apr 2013
mvm
49 posts
26 Jun 2013 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Andrew,

Personally I think the whole package will be what counts with fins having a slight edge over boards and sails in importance but take one wrong component and you're gone.

The boards are pretty much known over there. Low rocker to cope with the small rolling chop and don't slow down in the mid section of the course, straight outline for control, enough length and volume for easy start (with thin enough tail for control) and again comfort on the rolling chop and narrow/pinny tail to keep it on the tail. I had my share of problems related to my last minute decision to fly and sail on the wider tail board not designed for Luderitz but for normal 120 degree courses. It got itself on the water too much and made it lying too flat keep it difficult to handle. What works on a normal course doesn't neccesarily work over there and I had to pay for it big time when I ate the sand twice. There seems to be a bit of room for developent for the Luderitz special boards but personally I don't see a lot of difference coming up on that side. Perhaps and ASY board with a slightly straighter section at the leeward rail or even concave in the outline if one would go wild, but to me it will come down to clean shapes and the right size for the rider weight and length.

I don't think small boards will bring it but the best sizes stay around 40-42cm. I liked the Mistral and the Star-Board Jurjen en Bjorn rode. Both clear different concepts with a more overall stretched Mistral outline and a pinnier tail at the Star-Board with a nice built in cut-out/heel extender like they now also have on the small slaomboards. Mistral seems to play the length card and perhaps goes for lower V (just guessing here). I think Star-Board will come up with small alterations and perhaps a bit smaller version but who knows what the brands come up with.

The sails should be powerful down low with good release in the top for balance and endspeed. Especially in the lower wind mid section you should keep the set gliding and setting the sail in the two, three seconds up to the start should be as easy as possible. If one succeeds doing that half of the course is won in regards to the sail. NP had a nice belly and an even twist. I liked that sail most by far. It was clear balance was great in the lulls and the guys could maintain the stance better than others. You need "breathing"panels to cope with the gusts. This is where I think the biggest gain will be made, but also here...who knows what will happen.

To me the fins will make the biggest difference and finding the right balance between lift and control in the different conditions will be key. The tricky thing I see coming is the question in which windspeeds we will optimize boardspeed. In lower windspeeds you need more lift, in higher more control while still having the need to overcome the low wind (relatively speaking) mid section. Hence our choice for multiple models.

Then there is one more intersting but also scary thought. Seb told me it can howl so severe that at the start the corner cannot be seen (only 150 metres) because of the flying sand and rocks. Partik thinks the waves will copress at the same height. If he is right we can sail in 50-65 knots windspeed. In that case it's control, control, control and go with the flow. How do you deal with that? When this starts happening you do want a fin that is safe, otherwise I do not even dare to think about the consequences for the rider. I think only two to four riders will stand at the end of such an epic day and only then we will know the true potential of windsurfers (at least that's my guess. In this case to me it's rider,rider,rider,rider,rider,rider, fin, fin, fin, sail balance and only then the board. If I go I know I will try to design for that given day to be ready but I mention upfront I don't know if I dare to go down the course as stopping is not an option at that windspeeds and how in heavens sake do you brake at the end of the course in those windspeeds?

It will become an interesting year after last year's mild sessions in which everyone (apart from me haha) started to believe the canal is easy going stuff. Many will go over 50 knots but who goes first over 55 and peaks at 60? That will be the big question if the day comes.

Ohhh...and one more thing. Many thought speed would be killed bacuase of the out of this world speeds set in Luderitz but I only see a movement towards enjoyment on lakes and competitions against eachother. It's cool to watch Luderitz and find out about the limitations of our sport and athletes.

Te Hau
480 posts
27 Jun 2013 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Very interesting Martin, thanks for the story.
As you say, plenty of enthusiasm for speed sailing even if most of us are way slower than WR speeds.
Still great fun competing with your mates and yourself.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
12 Aug 2013 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Martin

Thanks for your insight into what goes into getting ready for the sessions Luderitz 2013
I will watch it with interest...

Kind Regards Russ

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Aussies to Luderitz 2013" started by sailquik