Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George 2018-9: The Thread That Had To Happen!

Created by Adriano > 9 months ago, 1 Nov 2018
choco
SA, 4032 posts
19 Jan 2019 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Could be a dud year, SSE don't seem to have happen at all this month so far

Stretchy
WA, 943 posts
19 Jan 2019 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

:(. Where's the tantrum, rolling around on the floor bawling emoji when you need it!
Over here, sea breezes seem to have improved last week (after I went back to work ) whereas normally Dec/early Jan is best. I'm going to stay in denial and believe it's going to kick in February

choco
SA, 4032 posts
19 Jan 2019 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stretchy said..
:(. Where's the tantrum, rolling around on the floor bawling emoji when you need it!
Over here, sea breezes seem to have improved last week (after I went back to work ) whereas normally Dec/early Jan is best. I'm going to stay in denial and believe it's going to kick in February

been strange weather pattern, hopefully it will blow it's tits off come Feb

Stretchy
WA, 943 posts
19 Jan 2019 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
19 Jan 2019 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

I agree. The Sou'Easters have been a bit late arriving so far.

But it looks like the next few days would be fun sailing with a good day on Wednesday. Perhaps the SE will blow the water out of the middle lake a bit.

jn1
2454 posts
19 Jan 2019 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

The gulf's CRANKED this season. Almost as windy as 2013/14 season. Sorry to hear about the SE . Hopefully down at LG in March.

kato
VIC, 3402 posts
19 Jan 2019 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have faith

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
20 Jan 2019 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like water level to high still

choco
SA, 4032 posts
20 Jan 2019 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..
I have faith

Weather pattern so far is all over the place, this is what we've been having for the past 3 weeks, very unusual for heat periods to be so consistently high even though I'm 5 hours away from Lake George

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
20 Jan 2019 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..

kato said..
I have faith

Weather pattern so far is all over the place, this is what we've been having for the past 3 weeks, very unusual for heat periods to be so consistently high even though I'm 5 hours away from Lake George

Yuck..

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
21 Jan 2019 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
byronmc said..

Someone is actually listening.

Jacko51
SA, 219 posts
21 Jan 2019 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it must be terrible.
gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2019-01-12&team=22
Only a 40.83 2 sec and 38.71 5 x10 sec
I guess all the interstaters better stay home and leave it to Chris to grovel around

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
21 Jan 2019 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Forget LG. head North! FAR North!

Miles of super flat black ice. Like LG, but hard!

Looks like the Kitewing/Windwing is still going strong in the US.

PS, Those ice windsurf guys regularly go way over 50Kts! In stuff all wind.
Not sure about the wind ski guys....

kato
VIC, 3402 posts
21 Jan 2019 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacko51 said..
Yes it must be terrible.
gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2019-01-12&team=22
Only a 40.83 2 sec and 38.71 5 x10 sec
I guess all the interstaters better stay home and leave it to Chris to grovel around

Read the report," flat water the size of a bowling green"
Chris should have done a 45 in that wind. I'm still headed there in February as a bit more water for me could be good.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
22 Jan 2019 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

A 45 hey Kato..? Ha!

I only get to use my small go fast gear at Lake George, and I hadn't been on it since last summer. It was a 'getting to know you' session with the lake and that equipment again. The lake level is definitely higher, but I think that will only extend or delay the season. Often there is good wind into March, but no water left. Might not be the case this year. I probably won't get down there much this summer due to a change of employment, but will jump on any forecast that aligns with my availability. I hope to catch up with all the LG regulars when I'm there.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
22 Jan 2019 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

Imagine stacking it at those speeds..

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
22 Jan 2019 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

sailquik said..

Imagine stacking it at those speeds..

I dont think the fall hurts much. They wear a lot of padding in those temps. As long as there is nothing to stop you sliding, you will go a long way before stopping though.

Come to think of it, I am yet to see any video of ice sailing 'stacks'. probably just doesn't happen!

John340
QLD, 3126 posts
22 Jan 2019 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

I dont think the fall hurts much. They wear a lot of padding in those temps. As long as there is nothing to stop you sliding, you will go a long way before stopping though.

Come to think of it, I am yet to see any video of ice sailing 'stacks'. probably just doesn't happen!

I seem to recall falling on ice when snow skiing, is not fun, despite the padding

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
22 Jan 2019 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..

byronmc said..

Someone is actually listening.

yeap, its a vicious circle, the heat but mainly the wind you need... you need the wind to dry it quicker, when the lake get to a certain level the process can go really quick..
Also when wind move water from one lake to the other, it does expose the sand (when dry on the edges) which then dry and warm up, when water come back after wind drop, more evaporation take place.. Its all part of the process
The Snail

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
22 Jan 2019 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..
Could be a dud year, SSE don't seem to have happen at all this month so far

Choc, it has been everywhere this year... even us in WA is not what we have usually. The breeze is weak, not solid and has lot of humidity in it.
It look like now we will have to wait to mid March to get the holes to line up, and that's if the wind is still there!!
All we can do is take it has it come, and don't think about it too much.
For me It will be an excuse to catch up with everyone anyway and remember the good old days. This cannot take it away

powersloshin
NSW, 1684 posts
22 Jan 2019 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

...For me It will be an excuse to catch up with everyone anyway and remember the good old days. This cannot take it away

Hope to see you there this year

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
22 Jan 2019 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

On a tangent: I just found that the South Australian Duck Hunting season has been shortened this year and won't open until a month later than usual, March 16th. Most of the sailors will have left by then, although i didnt see any problems with the Duck season opening last year and the windsurfers, (except that i didnt get many ducks on the opening morning - I did very well later though. ).

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
22 Jan 2019 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said..

...For me It will be an excuse to catch up with everyone anyway and remember the good old days. This cannot take it away

Hope to see you there this year

Yes bod you will, Jamie told me you coming , we (the miss and I) coming across, leaving this sunday or monday, be there 5 weeks . I hope you like Thai food, I'm sure she will enjoy yours lol, see you soon Georgio
ps: no pressure for me this year, just happy to take the miss across the country, i'm not even taking the speed board, I don't think it will be good enough for it, and so unfit anyway

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
23 Jan 2019 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samOZ said.. i'm not even taking the speed board, I don't think it will be good enough for it, and so unfit anyway

What

Mate! Have you lost your mind!!!!

kato
VIC, 3402 posts
23 Jan 2019 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

samOZ said.. i'm not even taking the speed board, I don't think it will be good enough for it, and so unfit anyway

What

It's sad when they get old and they start to do some strange things cos you know they're reaching the end. Good news thou as it means some cheap gear might be on the buy n sell
Thanks Sammy

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
23 Jan 2019 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

sailquik said..

I seem to recall falling on ice when snow skiing, is not fun, despite the padding

Especially if you've been skiing in shorts and a sleeveless shirt and you're sunburnt. Ow!

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
23 Jan 2019 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
On a tangent: I just found that the South Australian Duck Hunting season has been shortened this year and won't open until a month later than usual, March 16th. Most of the sailors will have left by then, although i didnt see any problems with the Duck season opening last year and the windsurfers, (except that i didnt get many ducks on the opening morning - I did very well later though. ).

Great we won't have to listen to it..

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
23 Jan 2019 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

sailquik said..

What

It's sad when they get old and they start to do some strange things cos you know they're reaching the end. Good news thou as it means some cheap gear might be on the buy n sell
Thanks Sammy

Daffy, its a strategy to get the wind in!! The gods will think I/we backing off and will let the wind come in. I had plenty good times and numbers there, I need to think about the others ah ah ah

To Kato
ah ah ah what ever you think young man, I still have some sparks left in me (been a sparky anyway ) nothing cheap for sale, I love and keep the 47 my fav, but the 41 I mite sale, no room to take over.. See you there Kato.. Im sure you be passing by

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
23 Jan 2019 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samOZ said..
Daffy, its a strategy to get the wind in!! The gods will think I/we backing off and will let the wind come in. I had plenty good times and numbers there, I need to think about the others ah ah ah

Phew. You had me worried for you there mate. The 47 Misty will do nicely.

Respect for making the sacrifice for us.

choco
SA, 4032 posts
24 Jan 2019 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Just what the doctor ordered, these temps will evaporate some water

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George 2018-9: The Thread That Had To Happen!" started by Adriano