Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

RQYS Around Green Island Marathon 17 December 2011

Created by iCarbon > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2011
FlyingMark
QLD, 18 posts
14 Dec 2011 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Since the interest in kitesurfing racing has increased dramatically in the last year, are you guys now scared of setting up a real mans course that involves an up wind leg..... . see you on the day, hoping for light wind now.

Mark.

iCarbon
QLD, 195 posts
14 Dec 2011 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Flying Mark

Sorry - no upwind for this one - just pedal to the metal.

chittychat
QLD, 40 posts
14 Dec 2011 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, I am a kiteboarder and just started using race board gear this season. I was hoping to have a race where sailboarding' and kite boarding' skills would be tested on a real course. But unfortunately, it looks like we are just mowing the grass. Bummer, maybe next year!

paultimms
QLD, 15 posts
14 Dec 2011 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

as a former windsurfer, I have moved onto the superior sport of kitesurfing and now onto the pinnacle of all water sports "Kite Sailing"... for those of you who have not seen the light yet, come over you are welcome to join us!!.

The great thing about this sport is that you go UPWIND - I know, it is awesome!!! We called even have races that go around the island .. not just back and forward, back and forward, back and forward.

tonymatta
QLD, 358 posts
14 Dec 2011 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Kiters,
If you want to race around the island, and you have enough people interested, try calling the RQYS Sailing Office on 3396 8666 and ask them to let you run on course B or A instead of course C.
If the wind is light, then the sailboards with centreboards should probably do that as well.

SeanAUS120
QLD, 743 posts
14 Dec 2011 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Are there guys in Brisbane who actually do kiteracing??? I'd be pretty interested to see what kind of angles you guys can do ... raced some foil boarders in Puerto Rico a few months back and they are astoundingly quick upwind.

I'll be there on Saturday. And I'm kitting up all the frenchmen (or just people named Julien) so there will be a bit of a slalom crew.

Who else is coming??

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
15 Dec 2011 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sean,

Yes the kite race scene is SLOWLY building in Brisbane. Contact me if you like, I'm sure they are keen to compare.
All of them are on the Northside though.

Jas

paultimms
QLD, 15 posts
15 Dec 2011 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Tony... We have at least 4 that I know of, we really enjoyed last year... A great event so we are looking forward to the weekend

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
15 Dec 2011 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

paultimms said...

as a former windsurfer, I have moved onto the superior sport of kitesurfing and now onto the pinnacle of all water sports "Kite Sailing"... for those of you who have not seen the light yet, come over you are welcome to join us!!.

The great thing about this sport is that you go UPWIND - I know, it is awesome!!! We called even have races that go around the island .. not just back and forward, back and forward, back and forward.

When racing, how do you avoid getting tangled in each others strings ?..

bc
QLD, 700 posts
15 Dec 2011 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

paultimms said...

Paul why do some kiters presume your sport is superior, each to their own but im with you there should be a course round the island much more of a challenge !!!

AUS691
QLD, 123 posts
15 Dec 2011 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

+1 to going around the island.

We could <ahem> overshoot the mark

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
15 Dec 2011 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Kite surfers in a yacht club? Sounds like a worry.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
15 Dec 2011 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

bc said...

paultimms said...

Paul why do some kiters presume your sport is superior, each to their own but im with you there should be a course round the island much more of a challenge !!!

I don't think he was serious, just having a dig because he is bored

paultimms
QLD, 15 posts
15 Dec 2011 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

bored.. more like a puppet on a string!!

The key to not getting tangled with other Kiters is to stay in front!!

Seriously, there are right of way rules all set out by the IKO... it is a bit exciting at times as kites touch and people jostle etc.. but we are just out there to have some fun at the moment. As Jason said, the sport is growing slowly, largely due to the influence of Craig "the catalyst" Wood.

iCarbon
QLD, 195 posts
15 Dec 2011 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see such interest in racing upwind.
However for this invitational event, the focus is on fun and attracting maximum participation.
For both sailboarding & kitesurfing sports, currently slalom racing is the most suitable format to do this.
RQYS has in place a strong racing program for the Olympic RSX and youth development BIC Techno 293 sailboards classes.
Club racing with a fleet of up to 10 sailboards happens every weekend at RQYS, September through to April.

FlyingMark
QLD, 18 posts
15 Dec 2011 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

That sounds like an invite.... Seriously though would the club be willing to host a race for us “kite sailers”, say once a month or let us compete against the sailboards? We are not like some of the clowns you may have seen that give us kiters a bad name, we are athletes, take our sport seriously and are all properly insured. We would love to join in with the sailing race scene, which to date has us as outcasts.

Cheers,

Mark.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
15 Dec 2011 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

Macroscien said...

Do we need numbers on sails ?
I ques yes?
If home made duct taped number will be enough to satisfy?

Real men carve numbers into their sails with a knife made from the jaw bone of their first sperm whale kill.

But seriously, can we use roman numerals (damn it, AUS-30 is taken)?

Real men carve numbers into their sails with a knife made from the jaw bone of their first sperm whale kill.

But seriously, can we use roman numerals (damn it, AUS-30 is taken)?

As a modern caveman I prefer duct tape . Seriously. could I just duct tape a number , don't have to be pretty , just to need requirements?
I am not a racer but thought it could be fun to try.
Next, what number ? If there is any register ???!!! and YEARLY FEE ??? IS IT CHEAPER AT LEAST THAT MY LAND VEHICLE ???? Fee for number every sail and and every board or same for everything ?
Do kiters have also numbers on their kites ? Kayakers or SUPers on their paddles ??
As for surfers the only hope is waterproof tattoo on the torso as any pants could be easy lost on the waves.
Swimmers could burn numbers on the crane, but all divers are hopeless.

iCarbon
QLD, 195 posts
15 Dec 2011 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien

We will be recording bouy roundings.

Numbers ~ 25cm tall made from duct tape would suffice. Two numbers would be enough i.e. 77

Numbers made from contact (available from newsagents) can hang in for a race if you don't fall off.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
15 Dec 2011 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

iCarbon said...

Macroscien

We will be recording bouy roundings.

Numbers ~ 25cm tall made from duct tape would suffice. Two numbers would be enough i.e. 77

Numbers made from contact (available from newsagents) can hang in for a race if you don't fall off.

Good, since I want to save on tape for more important sail repairs if number 11 is ok for that race? Do I need AUS11 or just 11 ? or Gold Coast 11? GC11??

iCarbon
QLD, 195 posts
15 Dec 2011 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

You certainly don't need the AUS label.

11 OK as long as it is unique.

iCarbon
QLD, 195 posts
15 Dec 2011 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Forecast still holding up for Saturday afternoon.

SeanAUS120
QLD, 743 posts
15 Dec 2011 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

All of them are on the Northside though.

Yeap, I've been sailing at Redcliffe for years now. Only come down to the south when there's a FREE bbq to be had!!

SeanAUS120
QLD, 743 posts
15 Dec 2011 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

iCarbon said...

Actually, I've been making numbers out of book contact (available from newsagents) on the Pro Tour for the last 10 years. Works great... never comes off. Costs about $2.50 a roll if you buy it in Feb on the back-to-school sales ;-)

Can even get epic Star Wars or Scooby Doo prints on them if you have the right kind of newsagent.

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
16 Dec 2011 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Now there's a pro secret for you!

Scotf
QLD, 1241 posts
16 Dec 2011 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

I'm all signed up and champing at the bit. The forecast is looking pretty good with predictions of 15-20 SE on Sat and as we are not having a Bayside event no one will be sparing themselves for that duel.

The RQYS events are very well organised and safety is a priority so WQ has added the event to the AWA calander as a sanctioned event. This means that anyone who is a member of the WQ affiliated clubs (Bayside Sailboard Club or Brisbane Windsurfing Club) will be insured on the day.

You can become a member of either club on line by following the links below:-

www.baysidesailboards.com.au/new%20form.html
http://www.surfconnect.com/sc/index.php?pageI=club_wind

PS; by pre-registering on the RQ site you don't have to be there at 10.00am, the link to register is rqys.webentry.com.au/regatta.php?regattaid=129

It is also great to see Sean O'Brien and Julien Ventalon will be there on the day, we haven't seen them at the local events for a while and it will be great to test our local talents against the pro's - go Trauma. More at www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Queensland/INTERNATIONALS-to-RACE-RQYS-GREEN-ISLAND-MARATHON/

DAM71
QLD, 498 posts
16 Dec 2011 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

FlyingMark said...

That sounds like an invite.... Seriously though would the club be willing to host a race for us “kite sailers”, say once a month or let us compete against the sailboards? We are not like some of the clowns you may have seen that give us kiters a bad name, we are athletes, take our sport seriously and are all properly insured. We would love to join in with the sailing race scene, which to date has us as outcasts.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Bayside sailboard club is in the process of developing course racing for the latter half of this season. I know the plan is to allow it to be open to all types sailboards. These races have been discussed as being of true distance races with proper upwind / downwind and reaching legs. Why not shoot the race director a message at info@baysidesailboards.com.au

Cheers
D

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
16 Dec 2011 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good for tom nice breeze this arvo at wello

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
16 Dec 2011 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Ay Sean

Glad to see you back in the country. Havent sailed with you for soooo long ay. We have been organising kite racing since last season, and this season we have started on windsurfing regatta as well as standup paddle regattas at Sandgate. They run every 4 weeks if weather permits and details of events all listed at our website under events. We have a few raceboards here too. Buzz me when you up this way and I'll tee you up with our race board guys for a fun run mate.

Rgds, Padi.

SeanAUS120 said...

Are there guys in Brisbane who actually do kiteracing??? I'd be pretty interested to see what kind of angles you guys can do ... raced some foil boarders in Puerto Rico a few months back and they are astoundingly quick upwind.

I'll be there on Saturday. And I'm kitting up all the frenchmen (or just people named Julien) so there will be a bit of a slalom crew.

Who else is coming??

Scotf
QLD, 1241 posts
17 Dec 2011 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Looking good for today. 15-20SE with the 2.2m high dead on 2.00pm. Was this event made for windsurfers or what?!?!

trauma
QLD, 382 posts
17 Dec 2011 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Scotf said...

... great to test our local talents against the pro's - go Trauma.

Talent?!?! Hmmm ... there seems to be a mix-up ;) As someone who calls a 6.2 his biggest sail, I even have to borrow racing equipment. Btw. will I be fine with a 7.4 today? Could borrow a Formula board as well.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"RQYS Around Green Island Marathon 17 December 2011" started by iCarbon