Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Sandstone Seabreezers

Created by Paddles B'mere > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2015
Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
14 Jan 2017 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff, sounds like a great afternoon was had by all.

DDunk
QLD, 38 posts
14 Jan 2017 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paddles B'mere said..
A classic Sandstone day today had everyone coming out of the woodwork for a perfect 7m sailing day, 15kn+ of wind and a few new faces and plenty of old ones.

Hey paddles, what fin do you run in your Magic?

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
15 Jan 2017 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Duncan, I've been mainly using the standard 52cm freeride one that comes with the board. JP specs are for 46 to 52cm so I bought a 46 with the board but I like the drive of the big fin. I might try the small one here when it gets rough to see what it's like, but preferred the big one in the flatter water at Sandstone and Turner's.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
16 Jan 2017 6:40AM
Thumbs Up

JV you mad bugger, I've just watched your track from saturday. Knowing the conditions of the day, 102km is an impressive afternoon's sailing in that chop. I'm inspired to get out of my comfort zone and sail those conditions more I think. No wonder you found the BMW, you covered a lot of her ground.

www.ka72.com/Track/t/296759

CedarDell
QLD, 21 posts
16 Jan 2017 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Had my first visit to Turners on Saturday and great to meet a few of the regulars. Thanks for the warm welcome Tony, Brad and Darren. Now I just need to get windsurf fit again so I can last sail for more than 30 mins without feeling shattered!
Hopefully do it all again on Saturday.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
16 Jan 2017 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Wednesday's looking like an exact repeat I reckon.

Parso
QLD, 15 posts
16 Jan 2017 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I am newbie & live on Bribie near the water at Bellara. I introduced myself to a bloke who sails here regularly from the most northerly car park on Sylvan Beach & he suggested tracking you guys down for advice. I have no gear yet but saw a couple of cheap options on Gumtree, eg Hi-Fly 300, that might suit a beginner. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have about gear and how to learn. Many thanks

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
16 Jan 2017 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Parso said..
Hi, I am newbie & live on Bribie near the water at Bellara. I introduced myself to a bloke who sails here regularly from the most northerly car park on Sylvan Beach & he suggested tracking you guys down for advice. I have no gear yet but saw a couple of cheap options on Gumtree, eg Hi-Fly 300, that might suit a beginner. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have about gear and how to learn. Many thanks

Welcome Parso
we can help - we are keen to help
few more details...
weight age experience athletic?
are you ready for a new addiction????

sail on weekends or weekdays?

we can help - good crew.

I've got beginners gear and you can have a tryout

dont buy anything from gumtree etc until you make contact with us.

repeat. Don't buy anything.....

Send me a message with phone number

Very usefull to to take the trip to RQ lessons beginner windsurf at manly - thread in this forum - to get going. They do a very good job

cheers Jeff

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
16 Jan 2017 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

jirvin4505 said..

Parso said..

Welcome Parso
we can help - we are keen to help
few more details...
weight age experience athletic?
are you ready for a new addiction????

sail on weekends or weekdays?

we can help - good crew.

I've got beginners gear and you can have a tryout

dont buy anything from gumtree etc until you make contact with us.

repeat. Don't buy anything.....

Send me a message with phone number

Very usefull to to take the trip to RQ lessons beginner windsurf at manly - thread in this forum - to get going. They do a very good job

cheers Jeff

Rq learn to windsurf

http://www.rqys.com.au/sailing-academy/adult-courses/windsurfing/

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
16 Jan 2017 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

10 knot SE here at Beachmere this morning with the sun out and a nice high tide so I sailed the windsup on a round trip from Phillip Street to up near Godwin Beach and then down to the river mouth and back to Phillip Street. Lovely day for a cruise and I found my 240,000 little blue friends, they're all down near the environmental park and you would not want to fall off into them, they're thick. Beachmere might be off limits again with these little turds in the water.

Great to see you caught up with the guys for a sail David, I sailed with JV Johnno for a couple of hours on saturday and didn't head over to Turner's so I'll catch you next time. Tops to see a few guys coming out of the wood work to join in the fun, Beachmere Pete dragged his gear out for the first time in 3 years last weekend at Sandstone, now you're getting keen too.

Hey Parso, there's plenty of advice to be grabbed from this crew, flick me a PM with you're phone number if you wanted to ask a few questions. Adam and myself have been learning to windsurf over the last 14 months and so have picked it up pretty quickly by learning from other guys mistakes, we can answer most stuff and if we can't we'll know who to put you onto. Best advice is to get some gear and come sailing, it's basically free lessons sailing with us as everyone helps out everyone on how to get going improve their sailing. If you're local there's no excuse to not be sailing heaps and learning real quick, especially in summer. You were possibly chatting to Pope John at the Pac Harbour entrance. You'll need a budget of around $1.5k to buy some gear to get going, if you get lucky and spend less then it's a bonus.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
16 Jan 2017 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Jeff's beaten me to it whilst I was typing. Definitely follow his advice and talk to a few of us first before buying anything.

Parso
QLD, 15 posts
16 Jan 2017 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Jeff & co. I checked out the RQYS website and if there's a place I'll sign up for the Jan/Feb course. This looks like a great opportunity to both learn at least some basics and see if am suited to it. I'm 60, just retired, 65 kilos and 172 cms - built for running which is what I've done as my sport for the last 30 years. Still keep active walking, cycling and kayaking. I can now sail anytime pretty much and looking for a new interest so I'll see how the course goes. Again, really appreciate your advice and hope to get in touch again once I've completed the RQYS course. Cheers, Mark

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
16 Jan 2017 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Parso, if you would like to have a try to see what you think, I've got a BIC windsup (huge, plastic and indestructable) and a 5.5m rig. We can catch up at Sandstone one high tide and see if you like sailing or not.

Parso
QLD, 15 posts
16 Jan 2017 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Mate that sounds awesome. Thanks. The RQYS courses are booked out at this stage. I'll message my phone contact. Cheers, Mark

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
17 Jan 2017 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

I'm gunna take a punt on tomorrow arv at Turners.

ballast
QLD, 500 posts
18 Jan 2017 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Thinking of heading down as well. Depending on what time I can get away from work.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
18 Jan 2017 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

I think maybe the later the better anyway mate.
I'm getting through some work this morning too.
No low tide this arve, but still better than nothing.
I have to go to Bribie anyway, but wondering if I should stay the night.
I'm starting to get a yearning for some clean wind and open water.
If that SE'r happen's, South Esplanade would be great.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
18 Jan 2017 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

I'm in for this arvo at Turner's Camp but have a Beachmere pub dinner booked for 6 so will need to be off the water around 5. Tomorrow looks really good at Sandstone, I'm keen for that too.

I'm waiting for a nice 5-10 onshore day at Sandstone to give Parso a try on the BIC. The next few days aren't going to be the safest conditions for him to have his first go at windsurfing. Yesterday would have been perfect but I had some domestic duties interfere with my sailing duties yet again.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
19 Jan 2017 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of nice days sailing up our way.

15 to 20 knot northerlies and 7m sails yesterday at Turner's Camp with Darren and Brad. No jellies but heaps of weed and grass in the water. The wind was a bit up and down but we still got some good runs from the mouth of Ningi Creek across to the front of the VMR.

A 15 to 20 knot southeaster came through early this morning so it was over to Sandstone at midday to join Darren, Adam and Mark for the high tide. The wind was a bit more consistent so we were all on sails around 6m today except for Adam who nutted up and rigged a 7.8 for some reason. My 6.1 was ok but I probably should have used the 7 and just let power off when I needed to rather than have to look for power with the 6.1. Perfect Sandstone conditions, no weed and very little chop or swell with lovely clean water and runs right out and over to Godwin Beach. A bit of excitement with both Adam and Darren whacking into turtles and Adam managing to make a slalom fin look like a weed fin in the process. Nasty big dugong was spotted once but it must have cleared out and we never saw it again.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
19 Jan 2017 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Very happy, and very stuffed.
Got to sail with JV Johnny today at the end, and that was enough to finish me off quickly.
When you're jibing same time, and chasing, and it lead's to drag racing, you can't help but push harder.
Wasn't long before the first stuffed jibe, and went into the drink.
Nearly stuffed the next one. Then stick a fork in me, I'm done.
Awesome day. Fitness starting to come back. Perfect sail, board, fin combo.
Really constant, clean wind all day, and "NO WEED!!!!".

ballast
QLD, 500 posts
20 Jan 2017 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

All right you yocals. Trying to figure out where to go on Sunday.
What is the consensus on what tide height you need to get out at Sandstone?

Not on a kite thanks Bones. Although from what I have heard, for practicing uncontrolled body drags you don't need much apparently.

Only a small tide range on Sunday, so not a real low low.
Thoughts?

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
20 Jan 2017 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

I'm planning to be back down looking to be entertained by the sandstone mob Friday Saturday. Need a rest after epic day yesterday - new PB 26knts. Lots of 24-25knt runs ????

Recon i'll leave van up here at lake for Sunday and monday (pack up monday).

Sailing forcast looks good good at the lake for Sunday

alternate is probabably off sth esplanade bongaree

cheers Jeff

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
20 Jan 2017 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Brad, I use 1.5m on the brisbane bar as my safe height for a 50-55cm fin. The tides are real neap at the moment so we'll only get a couple of hours either side of high. I'm still thinking very early Sandstone (bigger tide) if the wind is blowing all night or a late afternoon blast from 4:30 or so till it's dark and the bitey's are out. Alternate is out off South Esplanade on the low like Jeff says, but I'm not sure I'm ready to be out so far yet as you end up down near the D'Bay Red pylon if you go the whole run. I need to get a vest of some sort to float me with water starts.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
20 Jan 2017 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Come on guy's, time to man up.
Maybe we can get Jeff to talk ya's into it.
Low tide @ Brisbane bar 11:46Am. Sail last of the run out.
A few bump's in the passage, but just bear away when a bigger one pop's up in front of you, and fall off the back.
Once you're over the passage, it's shallow water and flat for a mile, because it's protected by a bank.
When the tide turn's, if anything go's wrong, you'll only end up at Sandstone, or further up the Passage.
Comfort for the mind in number's.
Also, to prepare for your run back, just get up - wind last couple of tack's, and you will soon come to love the run home across the passage, shooting through the trough's on a broad reach.
Come on!!!!!

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
20 Jan 2017 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

It's my pink sail isn't it ????????

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
21 Jan 2017 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Is it going to happen I wonder.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
21 Jan 2017 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

The wind has just turned here Darren so fingers crossed.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
21 Jan 2017 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

I'm in for SE wind sandstone if the wind comes in - I'm on rest day from lake so need some sandstone company

wadem
QLD, 65 posts
21 Jan 2017 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Might check it out on the late high.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
21 Jan 2017 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Wind is in now. Should be sailable after 2pm hopefully.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Sandstone Seabreezers" started by Paddles B'mere