Windsurfing Learning Curve

Created by Dwbh > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2014
Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
4 Jun 2014 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..

Great one there Morgan. How did you make that video with the hand doing its thing?

Good day for learning yesterday.

Cheers Jeff

Anita's new little business she is producing these as advertising, marketing and training tools. I was having a play around very cool huh.

Looks like Manly for me on the weekend again - going to move the footstraps in on the Naish and get into them....:-)

You know when a post like this gets long you just click on the place where it says the last person who posted and it takes you straight to it.

Have a good one
Cheers
Morgan

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
4 Jun 2014 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..

A couple more pics from Sunday 4th May at Wello

woohoo!! i'm in a photo

evilC
QLD, 673 posts
4 Jun 2014 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haircut said...
Dwbh said..

A couple more pics from Sunday 4th May at Wello

woohoo!! i'm in a photo

Me too

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
5 Jun 2014 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Can you send some wind down here please?

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
5 Jun 2014 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

we've had none for 3 weeks. finders keepers

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
7 Jun 2014 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

Would love to Sboardcrazy - wait on......................................................... I tried how did I go - did you get any?

You are more then welcome to come and join us here

Have a great weekend
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
7 Jun 2014 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Had a nice run around RQ beach at Manly

Anita - Naish 180l with Synergy Junior rig - the girl did really well today and very proud of herself - nice to see

Ben - came down and had a run on the Pacifico with neil pride 7.5m rig - had some fun - said he was feeling it tonight at his wife's birthday party lol suck it up buddy. Should come more often see ya down there tomorrow.... for some more

Me - I had a good sail today tried a few pointers that a few have passed on in my thread and had a great time today out front of RQ beach at Manly - not a bad location for us beginners. Started with the Pacifico with the 7.5 neil pride rig and my new fin - Pacifico behaved really well today and was a lot of fun all round.

Hoped on the Naish with the neil pride 7.5 and had a pretty goood go. Foot straps moved in to the beginners locations forward on the board. Front foot touching the front straps I decided to go for it and turned upwind and stacked (not enough wind I think) Had some fun on the Naish nevertheless. All in all a good day had by all :-)

There were a couple of other nice friendly windsurfers Paul and his son - they looked to be having some fun as did Cammd with his big sail up on his formula and from what I could see was smashing it out in the distance. Looking forward to getting out there with them between Manly and Wello

cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
8 Jun 2014 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Another fun and progressive day at RQ beach manly

Anita - did really well in a little bit more wind - someone said it was 18 knots when we got there but that wasn't for long dropped to around 12 for the afternoon with some hefty gusts - progressing well - even attempted her first beach starts - AWESOME :-)

Me - Pacifico 7.5m neil Pride off the bat, sh#t myself - had the 6 m in the car when I headed back in did ok so decided to stick with the 7.5m - Good decision had a ball - some wise words from Cammd certainly helped us both a lot (Thanks Mate)

Malj - came down and joined us for a blast on his 155 shark with a 5.3m severne synergy and had a blast - left smiling good on ya Mal

It will have to be a hat trick will be down there again tomorrow arve

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
10 Jun 2014 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Went out at Manly RQ beach

Anita - too windy for me she said - only had the junior rig said she may have had a go with the kids 3m but we didn't bring it

Me - We set up the Naish and Pacifico and I set up the 7.5m Neil Pride decided to head out with the Pacifico first man I straight out and planning sensational but couldn't get to the straps and because the large sail I was getting thrown but before getting thrown was seriously planning woo hoo - how good was that. Going around in my head --- don't force anything just relax and enjoy, relax and enjoy Whoa there wasn't any of that relaxing going on lol but I was enjoying and relatively comfortable. Even my weight wasn't enough to hold me on the board lol.

Decided that to get value was to either set up the 6m sail or try the Naish and go for it with the foot straps and SUCCESS finally got to experience planning with my back foot in the strap and hooked it. What a difference it makes being attached to the board in winds like that - I was kinda steering the board and everything woo hoo again. I might be a slow learner but I am getting there

Another milestone for me 3 things Planning - Hooked in - Foot straps all at once and still going forward. The only reason I stopped was that I was knackered after nearly 2 hours in the water.

Ben - As we were packing up the boys arrived - Jaye said tooooo cold for him and Ben said I am up for it been waiting for some wind - first like me took the Pacifico out woo hoo got some massive pace going on even got some air lol b&j on an 11foot board nice one buddy, she gets going in some wind with the 7.5 on the old girl..Then went out on the Naish and got things going he said he managed to get into one of the front straps hooked in and planning

Malj - was out again and having a blast on his Shark nice one Mal got some pace yourself mate - we are getting there - Simon popped in with a few encouraging words with Mal good man.

Met Dave down at RQ beach he was out having a blast - nice to meet you Dave

Might keep the gear now lol
Another great day on the water

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
10 Jun 2014 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Morgan it's good to see the consistent time on water paying dividend. Wahoo
Cheers Jeff

bc
QLD, 700 posts
10 Jun 2014 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

great to hear that you where in the straps mate well done, yes said Hi to mal before heading up to wello

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
10 Jun 2014 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for words of advice Simon. Managed to get 3 water starts - yee ha. A few times hooked up & plenty of time in the water!! Was thoroughly stuffed after the session. Lesson - don't spend too much time off the water!!! Boy you covered some territory yesterday.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
11 Jun 2014 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said...

sboardcrazy said..

Would love to Sboardcrazy - wait on......................................................... I tried how did I go - did you get any?

You are more then welcome to come and join us here

Have a great weekend
Morgan

Thanks.. We got a bit but stupid here waited for the wind that was shown coming up from Sydney and got out when the rain hit and the wind died.... next time if it's blowing don't wait for better - get out there ..

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
11 Jun 2014 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said...
Went out at Manly RQ beach

Anita - too windy for me she said - only had the junior rig said she may have had a go with the kids 3m but we didn't bring it

Me - We set up the Naish and Pacifico and I set up the 7.5m Neil Pride decided to head out with the Pacifico first man I straight out and planning sensational but couldn't get to the straps and because the large sail I was getting thrown but before getting thrown was seriously planning woo hoo - how good was that. Going around in my head --- don't force anything just relax and enjoy, relax and enjoy Whoa there wasn't any of that relaxing going on lol but I was enjoying and relatively comfortable. Even my weight wasn't enough to hold me on the board lol.

Decided that to get value was to either set up the 6m sail or try the Naish and go for it with the foot straps and SUCCESS finally got to experience planning with my back foot in the strap and hooked it. What a difference it makes being attached to the board in winds like that - I was kinda steering the board and everything woo hoo again. I might be a slow learner but I am getting there

Another milestone for me 3 things Planning - Hooked in - Foot straps all at once and still going forward. The only reason I stopped was that I was knackered after nearly 2 hours in the water.

Ben - As we were packing up the boys arrived - Jaye said tooooo cold for him and Ben said I am up for it been waiting for some wind - first like me took the Pacifico out woo hoo got some massive pace going on even got some air lol b&j on an 11foot board nice one buddy, she gets going in some wind with the 7.5 on the old girl..Then went out on the Naish and got things going he said he managed to get into one of the front straps hooked in and planning

Malj - was out again and having a blast on his Shark nice one Mal got some pace yourself mate - we are getting there - Simon popped in with a few encouraging words with Mal good man.

Met Dave down at RQ beach he was out having a blast - nice to meet you Dave

Might keep the gear now lol
Another great day on the water

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
12 Jun 2014 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

The only question I have is - how come the work week take soooooooooooo long to get out of the way. Windsurfing to do

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
13 Jun 2014 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic - here we are at the end of the working week woo hoo.

Looking at the forecast it would appear as though Wello is the go for tomorrow due to the westerlies. Must admit I am getting a little concerned about the drop in temperature but will get through this weekend for sure. Might have to put thermal undies on under wet suit lol.

See you out there
Morgan and Co

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
13 Jun 2014 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Morgan - it was only a short week!!! How are you going to go next week?. See you around. Mal

iCarbon
QLD, 195 posts
13 Jun 2014 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

You know Morgan, working is only for people who don't windsurf!

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Jun 2014 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MalJ said...
Morgan - it was only a short week!!! How are you going to go next week?. See you around. Mal

yeah Mal a tough one mate.. WHAT!!!!! 5 DAYS!!.......Cough Cough lol

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Jun 2014 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iCarbon said...

Weeeell Pat will have to work on that one mate

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Jun 2014 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iCarbon said...

Weeeell Pat will have to work on that one mate

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Jun 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Today At Wello

The day started with a disturbing phone call from work...........SUX!!!!!!! Well that's my work.

I need to go out on the water - headed down to Wello. WHAT!!!!! No wind - thats not what it said ....... wait on there is a little bit - that's enough. Not missing out on fun because there is light wind. Lets get this show on the road.............

I happen to have an RSX for a short while so game on with the 7.5m neil pride sail - ok lets get this in correct order

Anita - Naish 180 with Junior rig 4.3 m sail ----- man she smashed it today - there was one point where I heard a noise and WHAT!! its Anita basically overtaking me. lol You go girl - there are witnesses or at least one, Jason.

Me - RSX 220l --- now that is what we are talking about. With the neil pride 7.5m sail - started out like a millpond with a light breeze - man,, how nice was that so peaceful, so serene - good for the mind body and soul. Started out going round in circles same with the boss?????? go figure that's something new. Looked like we were practicing our synchronized windsurfing except neither of us had any Idea what the hell was going on - so we both jumped off and walked out further.

Might have had something to do with started out sw and changed to w and changed to nw and seemed to change at the end as a bonus ne and I pretty much had that big girl on the plane nearly a couple of times.

Today we met a nice guy Jason a learner like us and he also said he had a great time

All in all we had a fantastic time on the water - how lucky we are really

Looking like Wello tomorrow again

Cheers
Morgan

PS: For the Wello regulars - plenty of car parks today - could have parked a semi in there and still had room for us lol

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
15 Jun 2014 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Another fine few hours on the water at Wellington Point

A bit more wind today - Anita did well with her junior rig came in with dry hair again - Mustn't be trying hard enough I say lol

I took the RSX out and had another good ride - got planning a couple of times but the foot straps still elude me although both times I was planning I was standing on the front strap. The moment I moved to place my foot in it turned upwind (didn't fall off though). With the massive fin the RSX has, I was unable to beach start both days, uphaul all the way. Did do some ok gybes and tacks out there today, pretty proud of myself - well I think I did.

We had a good few hours out there on the water again only came in because we were worn out.

Lots of guys out on the water and setting up as we were leaving. Boss was hungry had to go

Stood and watched for a while - seems so effortless the way you guys step into the straps and get planing and in the harness. I take my hat off to ya - it seems a bit of a mystery to me how the hell you do it. I'll get it one day I'm sure. When I know what I am doing.

Cool bananas - Oh No five days til I can get out there again. Not sure about the temps though

Have a good week see you on the other side
Cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
19 Jun 2014 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Looking at the forecast it would appear as though we might be getting the paddles out and going for a sup on Saturday or take Anita shopping (gain brownie points) - might be tempted on Sunday at Manly will have to see what happens.

Man it is cold - sitting here with five layers on - after spending 13 years in Mackay winters are a bit tough in Brissy.

OK - getting into the foot straps seems like such a mystery to me - I seem to be doing everything correct.

I have been going over and over in my mind the problem and have decided it must be just one simple part of the equation I am missing or getting wrong - have had some advise from Stephen a mate from Mackay and others and think I have it. I have watched video after video and it looks, just like what I am doing, you guys do make it look so easy. An absolute mystery.....................

At the moment there are two things I am trying one is I am pulling the sail back to move into the foot straps, the result is turning up wind and stalling. The second is moving back along the boom, pushing the sail forward leaning out and forward to look around the front of the mast (that is very very uncomfortable) this results in a sore back. Neither are working no matter how many different ways I try varying combinations.

I read the section on getting into the foot straps in one of the ebooks (some guy called Arne Garmig) I invested in and BINGO! I need to pull down with my front arm hooked in to and weight in harness to transfer the power from the centre of effort from me standing there holding it, to the mast foot, front of the board, not pull it back.

Ok so - correct me if I am wrong - get the board going turn slightly down wind get on the plane or close to it - look to where I am going - get in the harness - pull down on front arm at the same time as dropping weight in the harness - get a foot into a strap attach to the board and apply more weight to the front of the boom - then get second foot into the back strap (then I can steer and control the board by my feet) keep looking where I am going - turn back up wind to be going across at around 90 degrees get comfortable - coordinate all this in a matter of a few seconds and look out here I come. lol it's working in my head - just need some wind.

Maybe mystery solved - we will see

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
21 Jun 2014 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Got smashed with a storm here at Bayside tonight all that out of the way

Will be ok for Manly tomorrow should head there around lunch time for an afternoon of fun on the water

Probs take the Pacifico with a short fin as there wont be much water to play in

See you on the water

Morgan

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
22 Jun 2014 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Morgan try just getting the board planning 1st then hook in move your feet back towards the tail once getting comfy & once going along nicely you should be in position to slip your feet in as your feet should be down the back area its just like moving the feet back a bit more try just the front foot for a while then once comfy pop the back one in this is hard as I even stuff it up at times iv even slipped off the back of the board not fun as you do the splits but you will get the hang of it. Shoes make it hard but cut feet do also so that's up to you.

John340
QLD, 3127 posts
22 Jun 2014 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said...

Ok so - correct me if I am wrong - get the board going turn slightly down wind get on the plane or close to it - look to where I am going - get in the harness - pull down on front arm at the same time as dropping weight in the harness - get a foot into a strap attach to the board and apply more weight to the front of the boom - then get second foot into the back strap (then I can steer and control the board by my feet) keep looking where I am going - turn back up wind to be going across at around 90 degrees get comfortable - coordinate all this in a matter of a few seconds and look out here I come.

All the above is good - except YOU MUST BE PLANNING - NEAR ENOUGH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If you are not planning properly you will head into the wind when you try to get into your footstraps. When you are planning, only the rear third of the board is in the water, this effectively moves the centre of lateral resistance of the board from the centre of the board towards the rear third of the board. This allows you to move your feet toward the rear of the board (where the footstraps are located) without upsetting the directional balance of the board.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
22 Jun 2014 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Key thing is judicious sail control. Try weighting the harness and tinker with the sheeting to take weight off your feet.

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
22 Jun 2014 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

When you go for the straps you need to really pull down on the boom, Elbows right down and hooked in. You'll probably find the problem is that your rear foot is not across the centre line of the board, As soon as you lift your front foot your back foot (heal) is pushing the windward rail down carving the board upwind, Raking the sail back will only make this worse. So start to power up (hooked in with your ass and elbows down), Make sure you are over the centre of the board with your back foot right across the centre line. Heading off the wind (but only a little bit) will give you more acceleration and speed means stability. Once you start to power up you move from you non-plaining position which is usually your front foot in front of the mast base or beside with your back foot just behind or in between your front straps. As you power up you move back, the less steps the better but when your learning it'll be a few more then needed. Ideally it will be power up, Step back with the back foot, Move the front foot into the front strap and then move the back foot into the back strap. Just bang bang bang and your away....Easy as hey!
I normally sail no plaining with my front foot jammed into the mast base and my back foot just behind the front straps, To plain I hang low in my harness helped with my 32" lines and pull down on the boom, With my front toes pushed into the mast base to help drive the power forward and get the board plaining, All the time with my back foot square across the centre line of the board. With heal and toe pressure on my back foot I can keep the board trimmed flat to prevent it carving into the wind. I find I push more through my back toes and this keeps my board flat. Once you plaining stay low with bent knees and lift you front foot, You should be able to do this without upsetting the board trim as you'll keep the board flat with toe pressure from you rear foot. Now gracefully place your front foot in the strap and let every thing settle, Now sink down more into your harness and pull down again into the boom ready to move you back foot. Now that all your weight is on the boom and harness push down madly through the toes of you front foot, this keep your weight on the centre line of the board and then you can move into the back strap with ease keeping everything under control. As you get better your aim will be to step into the straps as the board powers up and before fully plaining but that will be something for later.
To get use to controlling the board while going for the straps you could sail along plaining out of the straps then practice putting your weight through the harness and lifting your front foot, Do this time and again until the board no longer rounds upwind and you learn to control the trim with you back foot.

Anyways it sound like you so close to getting it right every time, I like you struggle with the straps but one day it just clicked. Once you work it out it only gets better.....And better.

togalog
NSW, 84 posts
22 Jun 2014 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Morgan, I took my rear straps off for a couple of weeks and got the hang of balance and position. It made it more enjoyable as I just enjoyed the ride and didnt overthink too much too soon. Then when I replaced them it seemed to come easy. Only miffed it twice.you do need to be planning and. the less bumpy the better at first. Don't forget your in it for fun and enjoy the ride mate

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windsurfing Learning Curve" started by Dwbh